Muzzle-Loading hunt season should look like this

PDA

sixgun_symphony
January 22, 2003, 03:20 AM
http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/pics/lanney99/jul06.jpg

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/pics/lanney99/wesdoc.jpg

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/pics/lanney99/boosh1.jpg

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/pics/lanney99/comingin.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle-Loading hunt season should look like this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tranders
January 22, 2003, 08:13 PM
Nice pictures. Looks like a lot of fun.:)

Bruz
January 22, 2003, 10:19 PM
Now that looks like fun...whats up with the "sawed off" one?

jmbg29
January 22, 2003, 10:39 PM
:cool:

Gewehr98
January 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
(Just kidding) Beautiful scenery!

redneck
January 23, 2003, 09:59 AM
How do the horses take to all that? (shooting, packing game etc.) I know that used to be their job, but times have changed an its hard to find one with the right temperement, and physical ability. People are breeding em for other qualities now.
Something I'd really like to try sometime. Don't have the right horses (or a place to go) right now. One mare is broke enough but she's kind of small, I show her on the AQHA and OQHA circuits in reining, so she's in very good shape. I'd just worry about her balance/ being surefooted in rough terrain carryin to much more than me.
My old paint would have taken to that like a fish to water though. I used him for reining and trail but didn't have anywhere to show him, so I had to sell him. Took him to an open show and the mounted police were doing a demonstration. I volunteered to take him through their training course they had set up. He marched through it better as a 3 yr old with only 5 months under saddle than most of the horses they had brought. Just a big tough as nails go anywhere kind of horse, he'd do anything if you showed him how. The people who bought him trimmed his mane back (was about 8" below his neck) slapped on a funny saddle an made a hunter jumper out of him :banghead: Poor guy. I guess he's been winnin for em though.

January 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
sixgun_symphony,

Just curious but what period are yall trying to re create?It looks like something out of the fur trading era but I cant be sure.

Redneck

Horses love attention just like dogs do.As long as they are feed on the trip they don’t really care what you throw on their back.I went on a month long trip like this before where we paid tribute to the F@I period/colonial period.Everthing we had with us was period correct including the bridal on the horses.Even the guns where built with old parts off of old guns.There were no store bought balls on this trip.

redneck
January 23, 2003, 06:16 PM
I know they're not going to stray too far from you since they recognize you as the guy with the good food. I've broke a lot of horses to saddle, and have a few friends that do the mounted CAS stuff. Horses don't just take to people shooting around them, and they really really don't like the smell of blood though. You have to ease them into that kind of thing, then its no big deal.

Your trip sounds like it was alot of fun. Where was it at? Or where did you go? I really need to get out west sometime, went to texas twice for horseshows now but didn't get to do anything outside of fort worth. Really liked the looks of the country though.

Think I'd pick a different period though, if I was going to do a re enactment type thing. I really like the great plains rifle I'm buildin, but I'd rather have a henry. An I've never wore buckskin before but I'll bet my wranglers is more comfortable ;)

sixgun_symphony
January 23, 2003, 06:54 PM
Fur trade, pre 1840.

http://nmlra.org/images/nmlra_100.gif
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (http://nmlra.org/)

January 24, 2003, 03:50 AM
I thought so.

January 24, 2003, 03:57 AM
"Horses don't just take to people shooting around them."

Redneck,

You can say that again.I have been kicked and bucked by more horses when I shoot around them than I can shake a stick at.

I havent really had any problems with any horses getting out of hand with blood around.But I have always used horses that where a little seasoned.

Two years we went on a hunt in Wyoming (not period correct) and slew 7 elk in out 10 man party.One horse carried out all 7 elk over 2 weeks.She didn't even blink a eye.

She sure pitched a big one about putting on the saddle every morning.I started handling her in the mornings after about the 5th day of everyone getting stomped to death.She found out real quick I was not going to take any crap from her and she just would give in.

redneck
January 24, 2003, 02:44 PM
an a bad memory :D
I've had a few like that, they have to remind you that they can buck, and you have to remind them they can't buck you off. Then everybody gets along great until somebody forgets. Just make sure its not you.
Did you keep em on a picket line or anything? Ornery ones are fun to catch when they know whats comin an they don't like it. I've got a brood mare that can see you comin with the tube of de-wormer from a 100 yards. Out of the stall an into the paddock like a bolt of lightnin an those rollbacks are twice as fast she'll do them at a show. Any other day she's waitin for you at the stall door.
How did you carry your rifles? Across your leg or in a scabbard? Seems like a scabbard would be tough to get used to (an would take a tall horse with your muzzleloaders), but then carryin it in your hand for a long ride would get old.

4v50 Gary
January 24, 2003, 05:06 PM
Great buckskining photos. Thanks for sharing.

Using an in-line would ruin the joy of these hunts.

Backwoods
January 26, 2003, 10:05 PM
I wish I could look that way during the our so-called "primitive" weapons season. In Ohio, so long as it's .40 caliber or more, and loads from the front, it's legal.
I would like to see a real primitive season (read "flintlock") where the requirement for blaze orange would be restricted at most to a hat. I'm sure I could find a voyager style hat in B.Orange, but a capote would look strange that color.
I think that I'll never see Ohio do something so cool, but I can dream!

Don in Ohio

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle-Loading hunt season should look like this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!