Savage Edge, or H&R Handi Rifle

PDA

Urza2005
June 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
I've been in the market for an inexpensive rifle to bring hunting, and to the range. The two mentioned rifles are Sub-300$ in my area. I have also decided to buy it in .243 for deer/coyote. Besides the obvious (bolt vs single shot), can any one make up my mind on which I should get?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Edge, or H&R Handi Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
June 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hands down savage

value

ease of scope mounting

accuracy

all are advantages in the savages favor. I've owned both platforms extensively.

courtgreene
June 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
The Handi rifles are no more difficult to scope than a savage. Don't get my wrong I LOVE my savage, but it took some work to make it what it is. You may like the handi rifle more, or for that matter I may... I've never shot one. Play with both of them, but remember, you can't float a handi rifle's barrel.

stsimons
June 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
I would say Savage Edge gets the nod over the H&R....

H&Rs are good large caliber guns (45/70, 500S&W, 444 Marlin, and they make a sweet 12/20 gauge slug gun)

but, you can buy a marlin xs7 in 243 for around $20 more and it is better than both the H&R and the Savage Edge. Boyds is now offering their thumbhole and classic stocks for the Marlin too... so if you want to upgrade the cosmetics in the future there are options. Also after market and factory savage barrels will fit on the Marlin, so your caliber choices widen up a bit too.

I'm not positive but I think the barrel nut is different on the edge than other savages. I know there is something screwy with the recoil lug too... its actually part of the stock assembly or some such thing.

R.W.Dale
June 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
The Handi rifles are no more difficult to scope than a savage. Don't get my wrong I LOVE my savage, but it took some work to make it what it is. You may like the handi rifle more, or for that matter I may... I've never shot one. Play with both of them, but remember, you can't float a handi rifle's barrel.
Untill you end up with an optic that won't clear the hammer at which point you find a stupid tall set of rings or get out the grinder.

wlewisiii
June 16, 2010, 06:49 PM
+1 on consider a Marlin XS7 as well. Mine ($263) is in 7mm-08 but the .243 would be just as good. With the 3rd party barrel & stock options, it's a fine choice.

William

Uncle Mike
June 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
Savage-

Arkansas Paul
June 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've been wondering about that Savage Edge too. The only thing that worries me is that the stock looks a lot like the quality of the Remington 770 stock. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

slowr1der
June 17, 2010, 01:15 AM
The Savage Edge would be my choice out of those two. However, I'd also consider the Marlin XS-7 if you are stuck in that price range. If you can spend a little more I think the $400 Savage Model 10's with a cheap Simmons scope, sling, and even has the accu trigger, is one of the best deals out there. Walmart sells these for right around $400. Just a great rifle at a great deal. This would be my choice if I could afford it. Then just get a better choice as you can afford it.

cwbjaxfl
June 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
i held an edge at the shop yesterday and if it were me i would spend a little extra and get a howa 1500. but you cant go wrong with the xs-7

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Edge, or H&R Handi Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!