Child kicked out of school for gun hat (merged threads)

PDA

coloradokevin
June 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
Here's the cliff notes on the article:

1) A kid wears a homemade hat to school in reference to a school project.

2) The child's hat was reportedly made to honor our soldiers, and features a camo background, with an American flag and a couple of the small plastic "toy soldiers" attached to it.

3) The child gets kicked out of school (at least for the day) for violating the school's gun/violence policy, because of the fact that the plastic figurines on his hat were holding plastic representations of guns.

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/army.hat.banned.2.1757691.html

This concerns me. Although we all obviously recognize the legitimate reasons why schools won't allow children to bring guns to class, the idea that we should be eliminating any representation of something that bears the shape of a gun is ridiculous!

Put in a different context, an entire generation of children are being brought up in some school districts where guns are being blamed for all of the problems in our society. What does that say for the next generation of voters, and our future gun rights?

If you enjoyed reading about "Child kicked out of school for gun hat (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dirtymike1
June 17, 2010, 04:51 PM
To say that we as a country are jolly well F'ed would be an understatement.

I find it sickening that we are "procecting the childern" in these ways when they are being forced into one mindset. We (read: these kinds of people) have lost grip with reality and are causing this ship to spin out of control very quickly.

Milkmaster
June 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
PROVIDENCE, R.I. Christan Morales says her son just wanted to honor American troops when he wore a hat to school decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.

But the hat ran afoul of the district's no-weapons policy because the toy soldiers were carrying tiny weapons.

"His teacher called and said it wasn't appropriate because it had guns," Morales said.

Morales' 8-year-old son, David, was assigned to make a hat for the day when his second-grade class would met their pen pals from another school. She and her son came up with an idea to add patriotic decorations to a camouflage hat.

Earlier this week, the Tiogue School in Coventry sent the cap home with David at the end of the day after concluding it violated a zero-tolerance policy for weapons.

The principal told the family that the hat would be fine if David replaced the Army men holding weapons with ones that didn't have any, according to Superintendent Kenneth R. Di Pietro.

Morales said the family had only one Army figure without a weapon (he was carrying binoculars), so David wore a plain baseball cap on the day of the visit.

"Nothing was being done to limit patriotism, creativity, other than find an alternative to a weapon," Di Pietro said.

The district does not allow images of weapons or drugs on clothing. For example, a student would not be permitted to wear a shirt with a picture of a marijuana leaf on it, the superintendent said.

The principal "wasn't denying the patriotism," he said. "That just is the wrong and unfair image of one of our finest principals."

Morales said her son was inspired to honor the military after striking up a friendship last summer with a neighbor in the Army.

Banning the hat "sent the wrong message to the kids, because it wasn't in any way to cause any harm to anyone," she said. "You're talking about Army men. This wasn't about guns."

The story was first reported by Providence TV station WPRI.

cambeul41
June 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
I wonder what the written school rules actually say. Could they possibly be as stupid as the administrators seem to be?

armoredman
June 17, 2010, 04:57 PM
Insanity gone berserk. These "educators" would be gibbering wrecks if on a campus that had JROTC...

KY_wildcat
June 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
Just to be fair, the kid was not sent home for the day. He had to put his hat into a bag and bring it home with him after school.

"Earlier this week, the Tiogue School in Coventry sent the hat home with David after class. He wore a plain baseball cap on the day of the visit instead."

I know everyone likes to jump all over stories like this, because lets face it sensational news reporting works. Reporters looking to run up the web counts probably think, lets go out and rile up the gun crowd.

Im not opposed to a zero gun policy FOR STUDENTS at elementary schools. My kids are not going to be brain washed by not seeing toy guns at school. Administrators and teachers with CC permits should be allowed to carry real guns during the school day.

CoRoMo
June 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
I think this is the same story that coloradokevin posted about, almost at the same time.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=528851

My kids will never see the inside of a public school, if I can do anything about it.

Zack
June 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
So dumb

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
One question:

Do any of the history books in that school district show, explain, or otherwise describe any war that has ever been fought?

If so, then this kid's cap is in the same league as those textbook stories, pictures, details, whatever.

Shame. :(

PRM
June 17, 2010, 05:23 PM
The elections this year will be more critical than ever. Sit quietly by and we will continue to see our country, its values, and our very way of life steadily eroded. Want America to be a carbon copy of Europe, all we have to do is nothing. Gun rights are just the tip of the iceberg.

We are in an era where tolerance means you cannot even disagree or have a different opinion. Its not about a toy soldier, its about having a different value system from the secular progressives.

We have freedom because of those who serve in our military fought and some died. Why should honoring that ever be wrong? Why should the American flag ever be banned in schools, like we just saw in CA? Something has gone terribly wrong.

Want to see it get worse ~ stay home on election day.

Cosmoline
June 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
And most importantly--know who you're voting for on the school board.

Harley Rider 55
June 17, 2010, 05:34 PM
There's your "zero tolerance" in action.

TexasRifleman
June 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
I am opposed to anything someone labels as "Zero Tolerance". That term means "I don't have to think for myself before acting", that's all it means. It gives small minded people an opportunity to be cruel and thoughtless while standing behind the veil of zero tolerance screaming "I didn't have any choice!"

Zero Tolerance is a mind numbingly bad idea, wherever it's implemented.

PRM
June 17, 2010, 05:38 PM
Texas Rifleman ~ I like your TR quote. Very well stated.

WinchesterAA
June 17, 2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqSlLSTD9oU&feature=related

This thread reminds me of that song.

HGUNHNTR
June 17, 2010, 06:19 PM
While I think it is totally ridiculous that the child was sent home for a half inch plastic replica gun, I have to wonder how many of these stories we have to hear about before parents realize the schools zero tolerance policy is just that. It says zero depictions of weapons, drugs, etc. Just don't send the kids to schools with clothing that will get them into trouble. Get the policy worded in a more logical manner, or fight your battles somewhere else.

WinchesterAA
June 17, 2010, 06:22 PM
Why would you people send your kids to a place that totally strips them of their humanity for 8 hours a day? Why force them to live two different kinds of life?

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 12:35 AM
^Possiblly because it is the school district in which they live. I hardly think this example "strips them of their humanity", and forces them to live dual lives. The kid can't bring plastic guns to school, big deal its not like he's a pint sized FFL of fictional weapons attepting to make a living in the school cafeteria.

sv51macross
June 18, 2010, 01:00 AM
Come to think of it, my senior year in HS, a guy I befriended showed-up on the first day with a t-shirt that had the slogan: "Welcome to New York City. Duck, Motherf****r!" and an image of a hand holding a smoking revolver.

They made him tape a piece of paper over 'f****r'.
Guess Ann Arbor isn't as bad as people think?

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
My parents homeschooled me and this is one of the reasons that I'm glad they did. I was allowed to grow into an individual as opposed to a cookie cutter version of whatever the school board thought I should look like. My children will also be homeschooled as I believe it's the parents responsibility to raise children and not some underpaid, undereducated, government employee.

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
P.S. If you want to do something about it or this upsets you then here's the info.

The principals email is richtarikdenise@coventryschools.net

The school's mailing address is Tiogue School, 170 East Shore Drive, Coventry, Rhode Island, 02816

The schools phone number is 401-822-9460

shotgunjoel
June 18, 2010, 01:31 AM
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

I got a feeling that they wouldn't have made him tape over that word at the school in question, it would be considered the student's freedom of speech and expression.

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 01:36 AM
Aaaand here's the facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiogue-Elementary-School-3/113754228636715?ref=search&v=wall#!/pages/Tiogue-Elementary-School-3/113754228636715?v=wall&ref=ts

c919
June 18, 2010, 01:49 AM
"Nothing was being done to limit patriotism, creativity, other than find an alternative to a weapon," Di Pietro said.

The district does not allow images of weapons or drugs on clothing. For example, a student would not be permitted to wear a shirt with a picture of a marijuana leaf on it, the superintendent said.

So now I guess drugs and guns are the same. A toy soldier is just as shocking as a pot leaf nowadays, huh? Geez... Some people.

sog711
June 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
Unless your a Buckeyes fan. :neener:

SharpsDressedMan
June 18, 2010, 08:06 AM
I agree with most all the above, especially the comments about zero tolerance policies. The so called educated people who created "zero tolerance" have created "no thought zones", and have basically shown that school administrators have become lazy and incompetent, and can no longer address the individual, but must punish all for the sins of a few. It's just easier.

Double Naught Spy
June 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
Zero tolerance is pretty stupid in my book. However, it is a very easy policy with which to conform. I don't agree with it, but I don't see how it is that people keep violating it.

The kid's intent was nice, but not completely relevant beyond the fact that what he was doing was not intended to cause harm or fear of harm. He wasn't using the tiny guns to "shoot" people. This whole bit about he was doing this to honor the troops is nice, as I said, but it is just a form of sensationalism meant to get the reader more emotionally involved with the article so that the article seems much more interesting than the actual salient issues at hand.

I see this as no different than the kid who work the gun brand logo shirt (no picture of a gun, even) and got in similar trouble but not because it was a logo shirt, but because the logo was gun-oriented. The kid wasn't trying to cause or threaten harm. It was just a shirt like a shirt with a Ford logo or sports team logo.

smallbore
June 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
Maybe it's just me. . .hat with American flag & toy soldiers is a no-no. . .newspapers in school w/photos of soldiers holding guns is okay. What a country.

danprkr
June 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
My kids are not going to be brain washed by not seeing toy guns at school.

I beg to differ the elementary years are some of the most formative and susceptible to influence of a child's development.

Besides, do we really want to teach that zero tolerance is acceptable. Especially since the equation:

zero tolerance = zero thought = stupidity to the highest order

Has proven itself to be true so many times in since it's inception.

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 10:13 AM
Without the zero tolerance policy, the task of deciding what is appropriate and what is not lies in the hands of the teachers/school administrators.

Which do you think could potentially cause more problems.

I could only imagine how it could play out down here. "hey jimmy, thats a mighty fine budweiser/nas car shirt you have there." Hey timmy, you're suspended from school, you know you can't wear a shirt with Obama on it!"

Deanimator
June 18, 2010, 11:25 AM
The kid can't bring plastic guns to school, big deal its not like he's a pint sized FFL of fictional weapons attepting to make a living in the school cafeteria.
I can virtually guarantee you that if the kid had worn a button with a picture of a gun in a circle with a line through it, nobody would have thought twice.

Deanimator
June 18, 2010, 11:27 AM
Without the zero tolerance policy, the task of deciding what is appropriate and what is not lies in the hands of the teachers/school administrators.

Which do you think could potentially cause more problems.
Yeah, wouldn't want teachers and administrators to THINK.

On second thought, you're probably right...

TexasRifleman
June 18, 2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, wouldn't want teachers and administrators to THINK.

On second thought, you're probably right...

Well the thing is, without zero tolerance policies if an administrator overreacts they can be held responsible.

Zero tolerance gives them an insulator to hide behind and no one takes responsibility, that's always a bad thing.

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 11:52 AM
...the task of deciding what is appropriate and what is not lies in the hands of the teachers/school administrators.

Just going against the grain here, but whose genius idea was it to expect a handful of people to be able to accomplish the task (that is difficult for parents of one) of raising hundreds of children at a time? Kids need direct attention, shaping, and molding and this is not possible to obtain when fighting dozens of other kids for the attention that they all deserve. The task of deciding what is appropriate and what is not for a child is one that should be left up to the parents and NOT a school official who's doing well to remember your kids name.

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 12:14 PM
Well thats the point, what might be appropriate in your home, may be inappropriate in my home. After seeing some of the parents at my childs school, I'm glad there are minimum acceptable levels to adhere too.

The fact that it is extremely difficult to manage hundreds of children's needs simultaneously is in fact the reason to have a set of guidlines in the first place.

I don't want my child seeing alcohol advertising, depictions of drugs, etc at school, just because some other dead beat parent thinks it is ok for their kid.

WinchesterAA
June 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
I dunno, man, it seems to me like freedom is a thing that makes everything better, and we shouldn't raise our kids in an environment contrary to that.

This one just came in -- http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iMXgWX1my2TrMvxt5JNxRShwyzBwD9GD9RV80

PROVIDENCE, R.I. Christan Morales said her son just wanted to honor American troops when he wore a hat to school decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.

Absurdity... Stop paying for public schools.

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 12:29 PM
Here's the kids mother's facebook if anyone wants to drop her a note of encouragement. She has the hat in question as her profile picture haha.

http://www.facebook.com/christanm?ref=search

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 12:34 PM
I dunno, man, it seems to me like freedom is a thing that makes everything better, and we shouldn't raise our kids in an environment contrary to that.

HA! Most kids wouldn't attent school in the first place if we put "freedom" first.

Freedom doesn't mean being able to do anything you want, whenever you want to do it.

There were rules in place, if you violate them, be prepared to suffer the consequences. Don't wear the damned hat in school! I don't go around crying if I get a parking ticket, and it certainly doesn't infringe on my ability to "park".

WinchesterAA
June 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
I understand your argument, but I think you're missing the cause of it.

I think most kids, if given the choice, wouldn't go to school because it is a lot like being in jail.

BikerNut
June 18, 2010, 12:50 PM
One question:

Do any of the history books in that school district show, explain, or otherwise describe any war that has ever been fought?

If so, then this kid's cap is in the same league as those textbook stories, pictures, details, whatever.

I haven't looked at a grade school book in a long time, but I would not be surprised if EVERY photo or illustration of a soldier carrying a rifle during ANY U.S. war had been purged in favor of pictures of burning cities and weeping civilians.

School boards and administrators conveniently forget that guns and the force of arms and the cost of lives bought them the freedom to act like idiots and pretend that they live in some utopian universe where wars never happen because people "compromise" and "come to solutions" that "we can all live with".

The cost of freedom also insured our ability to stand up to idiots like this guy and every other school union bully that goes kneejerkingly ballistic at the mere mention of a gun.

They're not protecting our children. They're flexing ideological muscle.

jon86
June 18, 2010, 12:51 PM
This situation is disgusting because the child's hat was supposed to honor veterans who have fallen protecting OUR rights. The same rights that give the school principal authority to dictate what is "right" in his or her school. Don't people stop and think? Where is common sense in this country?

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
Where is common sense in this country?

All but dead IMHO.

BikerNut
June 18, 2010, 01:15 PM
Now that my rant is over, I should mention that not EVERY school teacher, principal or administrator is a mindless zero-tolerance automaton.

My youngest kid has a t-shirt with Chuck Norris holding an Uzi, and he wore it to high school probably a hundred times. He also wore a t-shirt with some Halo/XBox game fantasy symbol/something that features two large crossed rifles.

He never had an issue wearing either, and this is in Evanston, IL, home of radical leftism, home of the Violence Policy Center, one of the original handgun ban cities, and a "nuclear-free zone".

However, zero-tolerance did get my son booted out of junior high for five days. He had a clear plastic airsoft gun stashed in his backpack, which was going to be used to fight an airsoft battle at a friend's house after school. My son's reasoning was that if he left it at home, came home after school to get it, and then went to his friend's house, it would already be time to come home for dinner.

It so happened that he fell down during gym that day and broke his jaw, and had to go to the hospital. When a teacher went to get his backpack, the airsoft gun was found.

I met with the principal and vice-principal, and agreed that my son should not have brought the toy to school. Like it or not, rules are rules until citizens are willing to change them.

Their attitude was that, yes, rules are rules, but it was a stupid rule for not allowing school officials to exercise individual judgement on a case basis (in this case, an honor student who had never been in trouble).

They scheduled his five-day suspension to coincide with the days he would be in the hospital for surgery and at home recuperating.

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 01:17 PM
I understand your argument, but I think you're missing the cause of it.

I think most kids, if given the choice, wouldn't go to school because it is a lot like being in jail.

So, would you CHOOSE to go to jail?

That's my point, regardless of cause the result is the same.

This situation is disgusting because the child's hat was supposed to honor veterans who have fallen protecting OUR rights.

Wrong, not since the revolutionary war has this been true.

The same rights that give the school principal authority to dictate what is "right" in his or her school. Don't people stop and think?

Wrong again, this is not a "right" of a principle, it is their job. Police don't have the right to ticket you, they have the duty by law.. HUGE difference.

heron
June 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
Christan Morales says her son just wanted to honor American troops when he wore a hat to school decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.Good on him, and his mom too.

The principal told the family that the hat would be fine if David replaced the Army men holding weapons with ones that didn't have any, according to Superintendent Kenneth R. Di Pietro.So, a student wants to HONOR our soldiers, and the administration wants to DISARM them . . .
Does the school prohibit these kids from watching the evening news, too? The soldiers on TV carry rifles . . .

BikerNut
June 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
The same rights that give the school principal authority to dictate what is "right" in his or her school. Don't people stop and think?
Wrong again, this is not a "right" of a principle, it is their job. Police don't have the right to ticket you, they have the duty by law.. HUGE difference.

You're completely nuts and you're equivocating terms, which is a common tactic for making unreasoned attacks.

Don't confuse law with ideological policy statements.

This situation is disgusting because the child's hat was supposed to honor veterans who have fallen protecting OUR rights.

Don't confuse the right of self-governance with the other rights that were fought for in subsequent wars, and if you need a primer for that, read a damn history book.

sv51macross
June 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
HGUNHNTR wrote:

I know it's off topic, but, THAAAAAANK YOU! :)

svaz
June 18, 2010, 02:30 PM
During my youngest girl's open day at 1st grade, her teacher asked all parents to ensure that if their children brought GI Joes to school to please make sure they left the guns at home. This is freak'n Arizona - most of the fathers and a few of the mothers were all shaking their heads sadly. I don't blame the teacher as it is a school board policy and she's only charged with enforcing it. I blame the governor for not extending the fence w/ Mexico to include fencing off CA ...

jon86
June 18, 2010, 02:53 PM

I respectfully but strongly disagree... care to elaborate?

WardenWolf
June 18, 2010, 02:57 PM
Perhaps they should remember the soldiers who fought and died with and in the face of guns to give them the right to educate children as they see fit. Perhaps they should remember that our independence and survival as a country was only secured with guns.

HGUNHNTR
June 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
Cite one instance of war waged in an effort to protect my rights as guaranteed by the Bill of rights.

There have been many conflicts since, but none to protect my rights.

Deanimator
June 18, 2010, 03:25 PM
Cite one instance of war waged in an effort to protect my rights as guaranteed by the Bill of rights.

There have been many conflicts since, but none to protect my rights.
What constitutional rights do you think the Germans and the Japanese would have allowed you to retain had they won WWII?

sv51macross
June 18, 2010, 03:41 PM
^ Japan, yes. Japan was a threat through the first half of our involvement in the Pacific, but combine imperialistic tactics, lack of resources, and underdeveloped manufacturing, and you have very little chance of a Japanese landfall getting past California. "A rifle behind every blade of grass" and whatnot. As to Nazi Germany, had we not gotten involved, most likely Europe would be under one big swastika. But it is contestable as to how much of a threat Nazi Europe would pose, what with Hitler's fetish for resource-sucking super-weapons, poor war strategy, and the iron weather and will of Russia to the north.
That said, claiming Korea, Vietnam, Somalia, or either Gulf Wars were; "in defense of our freedom" is a blatant, sheepishly patriotic lie.

speaksoftly
June 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
So yeah, stinks about that kid eh? Maybe someone should send an email to the school. :uhoh:

kmcintosh78
June 18, 2010, 05:35 PM
I would say it is time to move to another place or home school.

FLAvalanche
June 18, 2010, 05:46 PM
I wonder what the written school rules actually say. Could they possibly be as stupid as the administrators seem to be?
Yes they are.

Zero tolerance means zero common sense.

Kentucky_Rifleman
June 18, 2010, 09:23 PM
And most importantly--know who you're voting for on the school board.

I teach high school. I can not emphasize enough this simple fact;

THE SQUEAKY WHEEL (parent) GETS THE GREASE.

If you don't like a school policy, complain loudly and frequently to the principal. If this doesn't pay off, complain to the superintendent.

School policy is not shaped by the majority of public opinion.

It is not shaped by community values.

School policies are shaped by who is most persistent in being involved in the school's decision-making and who complains loudest.

If you disagree with your district's policies, get busy.

Parents have more direct influence over district personnel than anyone, including the school board or superintendent.

KR

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 18, 2010, 10:03 PM
Finest principle?

And to think that kids the same age as him 50 years ago could bring a real gun that is one of those guns considered an assault rifle now to school and all they had to do is make sure the gun is unloaded.

stickhauler
June 19, 2010, 01:32 AM
Come to think of it, my senior year in HS, a guy I befriended showed-up on the first day with a t-shirt that had the slogan: "Welcome to New York City. Duck, Motherf****r!" and an image of a hand holding a smoking revolver.

As a Buckeye born and bred, my only response would be yes it is. But I'm sure anyone there also feels the same way about Ohio, especially Columbus.

FatPants
June 19, 2010, 01:49 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_re_us/us_army_hat_banned

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A Rhode Island boy whose school banned a hat he made because the toy soldiers on it carried tiny guns was awarded a medal on Friday for his patriotic efforts.
Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio, the retired head of the Rhode Island National Guard, gave 8-year-old David Morales a medal called a challenge coin during an appearance on WPRO-AM's John DePetro show.
Centracchio said the second-grader should be thanked for recognizing veterans and soldiers.
"You did nothing wrong, and you did an outstanding job," he said. "We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country."
Centracchio also gave David a certificate that allows him to call himself a brigadier general.
David was assigned to make a hat last week for a project at the Tiogue School in Coventry. He chose a patriotic theme and glued plastic Army figures to a camouflage baseball cap. But school officials said the hat ran afoul of their no-weapons policy because the Army men held tiny guns.
The school has said David was offered the chance to wear the hat if he replaced the toy soldiers holding weapons with ones that didn't have any. Centracchio said that didn't make sense because soldiers are armed, and met with school administrators Thursday to share his concerns.
David said he felt great and called it an honor.
"I think it's really special," he said. "I'm going to definitely enjoy this day for a long time."
Also Friday, the Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said it sent a letter to Coventry Superintendent Kenneth DiPietro saying the school's policy was an unconstitutional violation of students' free speech. It called on the district to revise the policy.
DiPietro did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Good on them! I'd shake the little kids hand.

Oyeboten
June 19, 2010, 03:09 AM
Any time the word 'Tolerance' is used in matters of policy or political injunction or demand...we would do well to seek the provenance of the term, and, what it is steeped in, and, from whom it aroze, and for bullying whom.

There are subtleties in this...which is much of how and why such terms end up having such emotional 'power' - people do not see how things operate upon their experience and emotions to deprive them of sanity.

My own school years, boreing and useless as they were, none the less were during a time of greatly less hysteria and 'tolerance' issues. Most Boys drew pictures of Guns, Cannons, Revolvers, and so on, all the time, and many kids owned .22 Rifles or .410s and so on, and hunted for their Family's Table routinely.

A Gun was no different than a Fishing Pole, or any of many other items a person or household would have...if of course having about it, a little more maturity and care for it's use than other mundane things might.

Hani Pasha
June 19, 2010, 03:10 PM
I wonder if the people responsible for this nonsense realize that members of the Army commonly carry and operate firearms!

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
June 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
According to Fox news this morning the soldiers offered him a medal of honor for his tribute to their situation.

speaksoftly
June 21, 2010, 11:09 AM
Reverse of ban? Looks like our letters, emails, and such shook something up.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4247512/school-reverses-hat-ban?playlist_id=86856

Deltaboy
June 21, 2010, 11:47 AM
That is good news

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4247512/s...ylist_id=86856

speaksoftly
June 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
Sent an email to Mrs. Morales and she replied her gratitude to our support. Thought you guys would like to see.

Marcos Bullock June 18 at 10:28am
Just wanted to thank you for your support of our troops and for raising your son to act in kind. The Tiogue Elementary's actions are absurd and offensive and people like myself are spreading the word. Your principal's email has been passed on as well as the schools mailing address and phone. We're with you on this and will always take the side of an American's rights before any other. Thank you.

-Marcos

Her response:
Christan Morales June 23 at 12:17pm Report
Thank you so much Marcos!

We appreciate your support and even taking the time to send a note. It means a lot :)

May we all continue to show support to our troops and set a good example for the next generation~

God Blessings on you-
the Morales Family

CoRoMo
June 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but yesterday, a caller into the Sean Hannity show said that this image is on the school's website.
http://schools.coventryschools.net/ti/images/brs.gif

Of course, we know that this eagle is clutching 13 arrows, which are primitive weapons (in fact, in this emblem, these 13 arrows represent war), and since weapons are associated with violence, maybe the district's zero tolerance policy should punish the school for promulgating violence via their website.

If you enjoyed reading about "Child kicked out of school for gun hat (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!