Redhawk or Anaconda ???

PDA

mothermopar
June 18, 2010, 12:42 AM
One of the revolvers i've gotten a hankering for is a double action 45 Colt that can handle some of the hotter 45 Colt loadings (buffalo bore, for example).

I know the Smith and Wessons are very nice, but not quite as up to the hotter loads.

Now the Ruger 4" Redhawk (and other Rugers) and the venerable Colt Anaconda... They can handle the hotter stuff... Not that I'll be beating the gun with monster loads often, but I like my weapons to serve multiple purposes and a woods gun is one such purpose my current weapons do not fulfill.

So, what say you all? They're both great guns, both well built, the Colt is more refined...

So is it worth the extra 'hastle' and money to locate a used Anaconda?!

If you enjoyed reading about "Redhawk or Anaconda ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tuckerp229
June 18, 2010, 01:15 AM
The answer is really, "do you like apples or oranges?"

In other words there is no right answer except which gun fits your purposes and budget.

The Anaconda certainly is svelt but the price will be higher and it will not withstand a diet of heavy loads as will the Ruger.

Only you can decide which one's attributes will serve your purposes. For the record I have two SW's and several Rugers. I am glad for the attributes of the both of them but I do pay attention to the diet I feed the SW's. The Rugers I never think twice about what or how many I run through them. As a further side note, when I bought Rugers I really wasn't in to playing in the world of heavy loads. When I found myself gravitating that direction I was glad to have the Rugers with which to play.

June 18, 2010, 02:14 AM
I'd LOVE an Anaconda to go with my 4" stainless Python so if you find a good one and decide that you don't want it then PLEASE let me know. However, for general all around use/abuse it's hard to beat the Rugers. I have two Blackhawks (.45 Colt), a Redhawk (.45 Colt) and a Super Redhawk "Alaskan" (.45 Colt/.454 Casull) and they are all excellent revolvers. The "Alaskan" really surprised me in terms of weight, balance and accuracy. It's lighter than the Redhawk and not muzzle heavy. My first time shooting it I managed to put all six shots on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards offhand and double action and that's with a 2-1/2" barrel. The load was a 300gr FP in front of 29.0gr of H110. I don't shoot handguns very often so with practice I bet I could shoot some nice groups. Either way, I have zero regrets about buying any of the Rugers but then again I doubt I'd regret buying an Anaconda either. The Rugers aren't hard to find so if you do find a good Anaconda you may want to snap it up. You can always add a Ruger at a later date.

:)

Guillermo
June 18, 2010, 02:27 AM
The Colt is an investment

The Ruger is an investment casting

tasco 74
June 18, 2010, 02:41 AM
oh ya..... anaconda!! if i had the cash and the choice there wouldn't be a question....... i love those pythons on steriods...........................

LIFE IS SHORT.....

Walkalong
June 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
I prefer the Redhawk myself, but the Anaconda is a very nice gun, and it's a Colt.

ArmedBear
June 18, 2010, 12:16 PM
The Colt is an investment

The Ruger is an investment casting

True. OTOH if I were going to blast hot .45 through a gun, I'd probably use the Redhawk. Wear and tear is part of the game when you do this; I wouldn't do it to a collectible.

Water-Man
June 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
If you want to shoot the 'hot loads' go with the Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .454. Safe and cost effective.

RugRev
June 18, 2010, 02:29 PM
As Anacondas are out of production and not all that plentiful to began with I would have some concern (not now but down the road) for parts availability if used very much. Also, the price difference would allow for some custom work to be done to the Redhawk to increase its desireability. Another thought would be to look for a Dan Wesson which also is very stout and should have a nice single action out of the box. Now, if one came across a 5" Anaconda I would snap it up immediately if it had a good price but that is me.

GP100man
June 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
The REDHAWK no question!!

RugRev hit it on the head why!!!!!!!

mothermopar
June 18, 2010, 03:54 PM
I MAY have found my answer...

This is a Redhawk with a vent/rib barrel; custom job...

Now I know a Colt is a Colt, and there are no others (I'm a Colt guy)... but I'm investigating every possible avenue before dropping $$$ on the counter.

According to the owner, this gun also had some trigger work (said its now nearly as nice as a Smith and Wesson trigger)... Opinions?

I'm particularly attracted to the barrel... dang it looks good... like an Anaconda clone, sort of.

http://s4.postimage.org/JXh2J.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVJXh2J)

http://s3.postimage.org/4AfvJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq4AfvJ)

pmeisel
June 19, 2010, 09:30 AM
You are gonna be shooting hot loads so you want the Redhawk. If the vent rib makes it look better to you, well, go for it then....... you'll have the only one on most firing lines.

Walkalong
June 19, 2010, 10:10 AM
Cool looking Redhawk. Looks like the answer.

GRIZ22
June 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
No staright up answer for this. Many think that Colt's quality surpasses any other gun. I'm not one of them and would buy a Ruger.

The Lone Haranguer
June 19, 2010, 06:30 PM
I would personally not want to use an Anaconda for a steady diet of "Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk only" loads. If you must, I suggest that the starting load in the manual for this power level should be your maximum load.

harmonic
June 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
The Anaconda was not a Python in any sense of the word. The Python is a hand fitted gun that has a very intricate lockwork. The Anaconda is completely different and was plagued with problems.

I'd go with the Ruger.

Smith357
June 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
If you are not considering a S&W because of strength why consider a Colt??

If you want strong you want Ruger.

harmonic
June 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
According to the owner, this gun also had some trigger work (said its now nearly as nice as a Smith and Wesson trigger)... Opinions?

I personally won't buy a gun that's had any action work unless a) they can document the exact nature of the work and b) it's a well known pistolsmith. There's too much that can go wrong with such work.

For example, back in the day, people liked to tinker with their S&W revolvers. But many of Smith's internals were case hardened. Once you removed the hardened metal, then you've got softer metal that's actually going to be that which wears.

MachIVshooter
June 19, 2010, 10:46 PM
If you are not considering a S&W because of strength why consider a Colt??

The Anaconda is a bit tougher than certain generations of N-frame guns. The 25 no dash, -1 and -2 were earlier guns. I'd run hot stuff in a -3 or higher. I would venture that a 25-7 (5", unfluted) is as strong or stronger than the Colt. But good luck turning one up, and if you do, it'll probably be as much as, if not more than, an Anaconda. The -7's are also kinda homely, IMO. And I'm a S&W guy.

25-7

http://calzaretta.com/scans/25-7s.jpg

For the OP's purposes, I think a Redhawk is the answer. If we were talking .44 magnum, I'd be recommending a 629. But we're not, and it seems the OP wants stainless. The only stainless S&W 45 colt is the 625 mountain gun.

XxWINxX94
June 20, 2010, 01:08 AM
Anaconda is a sweet gun. The one I had was built well, functioned flawlessly, and even minimized recoil, compared to some other 44 mags I've seen.

I don't think you can go wrong with a collectable Colt.

Guillermo
June 20, 2010, 01:50 AM
Wear and tear is part of the game when you do this; I wouldn't do it to a collectible.

For a myriad of reasons, most silly, there are thousands and thousands of unfired Colts in the original box. Colt history is well preserved, perhaps too well preserved.

I only have a few Colts, a 72 Detective Special, a 2.5 inch Diamondback and a 4 inch Python. All are in very nice shape but I use them all. After all, a little honest holster wear is nothing to be ashamed of.

On my list is a 6 or 8 inch Anaconda for hunting white tail. I will get it and I will use it. Often.

If that is sacrilegious you can call me a heathen. or is that pagan? I forget

Sunray
June 20, 2010, 02:18 AM
"...venerable Colt Anaconda..." There's nothing 'venerable' about 'em. Not made anymore either. Buy the Ruger.

mothermopar
June 20, 2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Say I go Ruger... Anyone know where I could get the vent rib barrel done? The owner of the one I posted said his barrel is an actual Anaconda barrel and it wasn't easy to find!

ArchAngelCD
June 20, 2010, 02:23 AM
"...venerable Colt Anaconda..." There's nothing 'venerable' about 'em. Not made anymore either. Buy the Ruger.
I have to agree, buy a Ruger...

Erik M
June 20, 2010, 03:19 AM
Buy the ruger. Colt is a safe queen, when it breaks deep pockets will be required to repair it correctly.

Walkalong
June 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
The owner of the one I posted said his barrel is an actual Anaconda barrel
A few have been done.

Not my gun, but it's a beauty.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=122940&stc=1&d=1277043675

RugRev
June 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
One person doing these conversions is Hamilton Bowen (I am sure there are others out there). He has noted barrels are becoming problematic to find. There are some out there somewhere I am sure. In fact, you may want to ask the owner of the particular Redhawk if it was Hamilton that did the work. His trigger work on Redhawks is conservative compared to some others. Some barrel lengths are more difficult to find due to lower production levels. Here is a link to his website with a discussion part way down on the use of Anaconda barrels:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm#FACTORY_DOUBLE-ACTION_BARREL_INSTALLATIONS

The Anaconda, although a Colt, is a later design and like the MIM S&W's and Rugers "fitting" means finding the right part in a bin that works. This was done to cut cost of hand labor. This also means unlike and E, I or D frame (e.g. Python, D'back, etc.) that had large production numbers over a long time that parts will be relatively scarce). Numrich shows as being out of barrels and only offering 2 other parts for the Anaconda as an example.

Comparing the Redhawk to the Anaconda the latter will have a shorter lock time due to the smaller hammer arc. The trigger pull weights after the tuning of each will be very similar.

mothermopar
June 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
RugRev,

Thanks for the link!

If you enjoyed reading about "Redhawk or Anaconda ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!