Rechambering a single shot rifle

PDA

Okiecruffler
January 22, 2003, 07:00 AM
If a good looking young man had one of the H&R/NEF singleshot rifles in .44 mag, would it be feasible to rechamber the barrel for .444 marlin? And if so, how much should the said young man expect to pay for such a change? I know, I could get one in 45/70, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and my love affair with the .444 goes back a long way. Besides, I already have the dies.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechambering a single shot rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sarge
January 22, 2003, 07:26 AM
is the pointless shortage of good single-shot rifles in .444 Marlin :banghead:

Particularly absent is a decent Sharps, rolling block or '85 Winchester copy in this fine chambering; I have a little trouble warming up to the 94 Big Bore's "safety crater" in the side of the receiver, and Marlin (who finally seems to have figured out that cast bullets work better from Ballard-type rifling than from "midget-groove") seems to insist on drilling holes in perfectly-good barrels, or checkering patterns that were thought up by old Mrs. Garter's 4th grade geometry class.

I believe HR/NEF did make a few .444s several years ago, as I have seen an article somewhere on the internet: if I can find a link I'll post it for you. If you wind up calling them feel free to put my two cents in for a model in this caliber.

Okiecruffler
January 26, 2003, 04:42 AM
I'm with you on the Marlin, I just don't understand the holes everywhere when you're shooting a .444. Maybe I'm just super macho (and I'm willing to consider that as an option here), but I've been shooting my old Marlin 444 since I was knee high to a calf and my arm hasn't fallen off yet. And from the ported guns I have fired, I can't tell that they really do that much anyway. Seems like a marketing gimick to me.

Otony
January 26, 2003, 03:02 PM
Gentlemen,

A few points to consider....

Marlin ceased porting their barrels approximately one year ago. None of the current .444 or .45-70 variations have those demnable little holes.

Rechambering the .44 magnum Handi-rifle is easily accomplished, and should not cost more than 30 bucks with any reasonable 'smith.. There are, of course, many unreasonable 'smiths out there. :D

Recall, however, that the twist rate for a .44 magnum is more often than not, going to be far from optimum for a .444, especially if one loads heavier bullets. A little research in this matter will go a long way.

Okiecruffler
January 27, 2003, 04:38 AM
I figure I can always taylor my loads to the rifling twist. I may end up ballistically with just a really long cased .44mag, but I've never been accused of being practical.

Otony
January 27, 2003, 12:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, the majority of .444's built have a poor choice of twist for heavier bullets. Marlin used the same twist as a .44 magnum (if I recall correctly) for many years, and may well still do so.

Have at it! I think the .444 round is tremendously cool. Only reason i don't own one is the Marlin 1895 .45-70 parked in my collection.

Hmmm, that's not such a good reason, is it?:D

Okiecruffler
January 29, 2003, 08:52 PM
After all, I already have one. But what I've been ranting and raving about is the lack of a good .357max rifle. So back to the drawing board, but this time with a .357mag NEF. I should be able to finish this project up by March. Man, you just gotta love this stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechambering a single shot rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!