Home Depot Allows Concealed Carry

PDA

TarpleyG
December 3, 2003, 02:18 PM
Just FYI from another board if any are interested.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65127

GT

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Depot Allows Concealed Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
December 3, 2003, 07:19 PM
Here's the scoop. This morning we spoke to the person in charge of ALL Home Depot's nationwide policy. Every policy must cross his desk to be approved.

He explicitly told us that:

1. HOME DEPOT does *NOT* prohibit legal concealed carry; in fact, they consider it to be ridiculous and a public safety hazard. They do not have anything in their books on this issue, nor do they plan on putting it in their books. If it's legal in your state to carry concealed, you can carry in Home Depot, as long as you are following state law. Needless to say, if you are trying to have people notice you are carrying and your weapon is exposed or you are creating a public nuisance with a gun, you will be asked to leave. Corporate realizes that almost all CCW permit holders are legaland sane, and they will not discriminate against them.

2. Any store posting against legal concealed carry is VIOLATING Corporate Policy -- that is, they are not allowed to post these signs because there is no policy providing for a manager to post these signs. If they post signs against legal concealed carry, they are acting without Home Depot authority and should be reported.

The person who oversees Home Depots operations has given us his direct office phone number to contact him with any stores that are posted. If you know of any Home Depot manager that is currently posting signs prohibiting legal concealed carry in their store, please email us with the store number, address, phone number, manager's name, and the wording and location of the sign(s) so we can let Home Depot know, and those signs will be taken down.

Please post this to all pro-rights, pro-gun and pro-American groups so this
urban legend can be stopped.

Neal & Melissa Seaman
Neal@DeadBangGuns.com or
skypod@DeadBangGuns.com
Phone: (843) 716-0511

pax

enfield
December 3, 2003, 08:26 PM
If you are carrying concealed and enter their store, they should not know it.
Remember, "Concealed Carry"
If they do notice your firearm, what is the penalty??
Do they throw you out?
Call the local PD and try to charge you with something?

If it's posted 'no ccw' and you carry anyway and get caught, it's called 'criminal trespass'.

I'm not a lawyer.

enfield
December 3, 2003, 08:39 PM
Has anyone who contacted HD gotten one of these?

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting the possession of ALL weapons in its stores. Consistent with that policy, customers are prohibited from carrying firearms in our stores. Where required by local legislation, The Home Depot will install necessary signage to reiterate this policy to all customers.

Regards,

Liza
Customer Care Department
homedepot.com

The Reaper
December 3, 2003, 08:50 PM
enfield

If "posted" it depends on where you live. In VA they have to ask you to leave first. If you refuse and they call the police it is trespassing with a gun, which is a step up the ladder from trespass. Still not a felony in VA.

So everyone would have to consult their state's laws on the matter to know what the ramifications were to carrying concealed in a "posted" location.

I'll see if my HD's are posted. Last I checked they were not and I have carried concealed in them in the past.

Matthew Courtney
December 3, 2003, 09:00 PM
It does not matter what some paper pusher at the home office says if there are store managers out there posting signs valid in their state.

King
December 3, 2003, 09:07 PM
Never seen HD posted here in Austin Texas...I pack in there all the time without a bit of worry.

Jammer Six
December 3, 2003, 09:34 PM
It does not matter what some paper pusher at the home office says if there are store managers out there posting signs valid in their state

Unless, of course, said paper pusher can require said manager to remove said sign, and fire him/her if they don't...

As this seems to be the direction it's headed, it matters very much.

Matthew Courtney
December 3, 2003, 09:43 PM
Unless, of course, said paper pusher can require said manager to remove said sign, and fire him/her if they don't...

Unless and until the signs come down, it doesn't matter what the paper pusher can do. At this point, HD seems to be talking out of both sides of its mouth. Talk is cheap. Let's watch what they do.

In most states, and definitely in mine, the sign itself makes carrying past it a crime. The policies of out-of state executives notwithstanding.

dandean316
December 3, 2003, 10:07 PM
Well, I thought we had this all cleared up, but apparently not. Either they are trying to hide something, or Consumer Affairs is out of the loop. What I'm thinking is they don't understand the CCW laws. By banning weapons, they are more concerned with John Doe walking in with a shotgun trying to buy a few screws to mount his scope with. At all the HD's around here, they sell gun safes buy the way.

Anyway, here's the email I got today from HD.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Dan,

The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting the possession of
ALL weapons in its stores. Consistent with that policy, customers are
prohibited from carrying firearms in our stores. Where required by
local legislation, The Home Depot will install necessary signage to
reiterate this policy to all customers.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Customer Care
homedepot.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
dandean316@yahoo.com

"Contact Us" Form Message From: Dan
Submitted: Fri, Nov 28, 2003 12:09:50 PM
Email: dandean316@yahoo.com
Phone:
Zip/Postal Code: 55024
Subject: Other
Store Locator:
Service Number:
Comments:
Good morning
I understand that Minnesota Home Depot stores will now be posting "The
Home Depot Bans Guns in these premises" signs.

I am very disappointed if this is indeed true. This will do nothing
but keep law-abiding citizens out of your stores. Criminals won't abide
by the signs anyway. A newspaper article recently came out stating the
true cost for a permit to carry is over $1000. Does Home Depot
seriously think anyone willing to spend that kind of money is a threat? After
passing all these background checks, do you really think permit holders
are a threat? At least you know permit holders are law abiding people.
What do you know about your other customers?

And the argument "well and angry customer...in the heat of an
argument..." Has Wal-Mart, Target or Menards had one of these instances?

I hope you reconsider your policy. Thank you for your time.

Jammer Six
December 3, 2003, 10:08 PM
Unless and until the signs come down, it doesn't matter what the paper pusher can do.

Well, you've convinced me.

Let's load up, roll on down there, and start shooting people. There's no sense trying to get anything done through the paper pushers, as long as those damn signs are still in place. :rolleyes:

Matthew Courtney
December 3, 2003, 10:27 PM
Well, you've convinced me. Let's load up, roll on down there, and start shooting people. There's no sense trying to get anything done through the paper pushers, as long as those damn signs are still in place.

I am merely advocating keeping the pressue on until the signs come down.
I don't exactly trust corporate execs, customer service folks, or PR people to do what they say they are going to do.

Do you?

ChuteTheMall
December 3, 2003, 10:31 PM
What signs? Show me some.

sturmruger
December 3, 2003, 10:35 PM
I got the same basic email stating that weapons are not allowed.

Hello Norman,

The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting the possession of ALL weapons in its stores. Consistent with that policy, customers are prohibited from carrying firearms in our stores. Where required by local legislation, The Home Depot will install necessary signage to reiterate this policy to all customers.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Customer Care
homedepot.com

Aahzz
December 3, 2003, 10:37 PM
I also received the email stating Home Depot officially prohibits concealed carry, as follows:

sturmruger
December 3, 2003, 10:38 PM
Pax could you please call this guy back and find out what the truth is. If you would like me to email him the email that I recieved from customer affairs I would be happy to do so.

Dallas239
December 3, 2003, 11:02 PM
I am merely advocating keeping the pressue on until the signs come down.

So let's see some signs. In my state a corporate policy means squat, and I can carry there until they post a very specific sign. I shop there several times a week, and I have seen no signs.

Personaly, I advocate leaving their poor CSR's the hell alone until I see a flipping sign. If they start putting up signs because this issue is now in someone's RADAR due to all the calls I'll be boycotting knee jerk gun owners.

sturmruger
December 3, 2003, 11:16 PM
I think I will go to HD and take a few pics of their signs if I can find them. Stay tuned.

Gray Peterson
December 3, 2003, 11:26 PM
Folks, often the people at the website who answer Customer Care emails are not actually Home Depot employees. Often they are outsourcers. They don't know what they are talking about.

Jammer Six
December 3, 2003, 11:48 PM
I don't exactly trust corporate execs, customer service folks, or PR people to do what they say they are going to do.

Do you?

For the most part, yes.

But then again, I'm president of a construction company, and work every day with corporate executives (subs, other contractors, and customers) who depend on me to do exactly what I say I'm going to do, when I say I'm going to do it, for the price I said I'll do it for.

I also depend on them to do exactly that, and have eliminated the subs and contractors who don't from my network of resources.

I'm sure that the fact that the ones who didn't make the cut were largely sole proprieterships is just coincidence. :rolleyes:

Actually, sole proprietors have very little keeping them honest. Enron will make the front page, and executives answer to their stockholders.

When was the last time you read a news story about a one man roofing company?

Yes, corporations make a convenient target for anger, but that's based, in my experience, on a lack of knowledge, and is usually an opinion held by an employee.

El Rojo
December 3, 2003, 11:54 PM
When are we going to get this settled? I have sent them two e-mails and have received nothing but the proxy reply of "thank you for your comment".

My personal opinion is I don't care who answers the phone, if they say, "Home Depot", they represent Home Depot. If they tell us no weapons, I am going to let management know about it and they can make the heads roll.

Now I am going to e-mail them again.

Dallas239
December 4, 2003, 12:04 AM
When are we going to get this settled?

There are no signs at any of the HD's around here, so as far as I am concerned this IS settled until I start seeing signs. In the meantime I think we need to let this fall off the HD RADAR.

El Rojo
December 4, 2003, 12:13 AM
I don't agree. Let them know that any sell out of the Bill of Rights will result in our millions of home repair dollars going somewhere else. If it is a rumor, let them defend themselves and clear their name.

Jammer Six
December 4, 2003, 01:40 AM
I don't agree. Let them know that any sell out of the Bill of Rights will result in our millions of home repair dollars going somewhere else. If it is a rumor, let them defend themselves and clear their name.

Why on earth would they "defend themselves" against a rumour?

The wisest course a business can take is to ignore rumors.

Making waves where there isn't even any water is rarely a wise course.

Without signs, the law is the way things are, and we can carry.

Why on earth would you challenge that? So they can put up signs? :rolleyes:

pax
December 4, 2003, 02:01 AM
Got this from skypod@deadbangguns.com (Melissa).

I know... We are finding out who's lying and will repost as soon as we get
word.

I called corporate 770-433-8211 and I am waiting for calls back from: Robert
Nardelli, Chairman, President and CEO, Frank L. Fernandez, Executive Vice
President, Secretary and General Counsel, Troy Rice, Senior Vice President
of Operations. I have been dealing with Don Harrison who is in charge of
public relations. I also spoke to Scott Mathews who is the SC rep and he and
Don both assured me that the policy below does not exist.

I am getting names, store locations, digital pics, the whole shooting match.
So when these honcho's ever contact me I will have the proof. I am asking
anyone on the list that goes to a Home Depot, if those signs are up please
email me with a pertinent info:# of store, address, manager, telephone
number, where the signs are posted, and if you have pictures they would be well received.

Melissa (skypod)
http://profiles.yahoo.com/skypod

pax

El Rojo
December 4, 2003, 02:26 AM
I give you part of your statement Jammer. They shouldn't have to respond to rumors. However, there are people saying they have seen the signs. There are also pretty much confirmed e-mails where they are saying no weapons allowed. So I will send them a message and I will talk to others and I will not shop there until I find out otherwise. Might tha be fair? No. Can I do it? Yes. Will it hurt them down the line? Maybe not a whole lot. But when I talk to someone who talks to someone who talks to someone, we will make a difference. If we make enough waves, do you really think they are going to face us head on and put up the signs? Gun owners spend lots of money and most importantly, they have some principles that they will stand up for.

And finally, sign or not, I carry. That is why it is called a concealed weapon. The true determination if I carry or not is simply a metal detector. Metal detector = no carry. No metal detector = carry. It also helps that I live in the PRK where most lab abiding citizens can't "pay for the right to carry" so no one bothers to put up signs.

jimpeel
December 4, 2003, 03:58 AM
Well, Jennifer has been a busy girl. I got this from her also:

Hello Jim,

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Customer Care
homedepot.com

Leatherneck
December 4, 2003, 08:46 AM
How does thisJennifer/ Customer Care Square with this?The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting the possession of ALL weapons
Obviously NOT!:mad:

TC
TFL Survivor

Matthew Courtney
December 4, 2003, 09:23 AM
I recieved the following this morning in response to my expression of concerns:

Hello Matthew,

Regards,

Liza
Customer Care Department
homedepot.com

Elminster
December 4, 2003, 09:38 AM
I recieved the same message from a Gilbert A..

It's a horrible shame, really....

NorthernExtreme
December 4, 2003, 08:28 PM
I received the same reply from Gilbert A.

I quickly sent him a return message notifying him that he had just lost a customer. Others wrote to inform Home Depot (HD) that they had just completed transaction on selling their HD stock and canceled orders they had with local stores.

When I called the local HD manager I was told that a memo was sent out instructing managers not to discuss this issue with the public, and refer them to the corporate office.

I guess they already know that we're there, lets not let them forget.

Dallas239
December 4, 2003, 10:05 PM
We've gotten responses both ways from Home Depot, but where it really matters we got what we wanted. There were signs at one store, and those signs have been removed. Can we leave them alone now until they start putting up signs?

Gray Peterson
December 4, 2003, 10:12 PM
the customer care department at homedepot.com needs to be educated that there is no policy on concealed carry. Maybe they're based in Illinois (the online customer care) and therefor making that apply to all Home Depot from their perspective?

Matthew Courtney
December 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
We've gotten responses both ways from Home Depot, but where it really matters we got what we wanted. There were signs at one store, and those signs have been removed. Can we leave them alone now until they start putting up signs?

No! Your question is like asking," My 15 year old daughter only slept with that one guy. She promises not to do it again. Should I let her resume dressing like a tramp and staying out as late as she wants until she contracts a fatal disease, ends up pregnant, or is raped and murdered?".

The response we want from Home Depot is, "We have terminated the employment of those who attempted to remake our safe stores into criminal empowerment zones. We are in the process of retraining all of our employees so that each one will appreciate our diverse customer base. People who take responsibility for their own security are welcome here, as are people who recklessly depend on others. Firearms safety and proficiency training will now be offered by the Home Depot, along with training in the use of other tools. For a schedule of our free training classes, please contact the manager of the gun department or our home office."

Matthew

dandean316
December 4, 2003, 11:41 PM
The response we want from Home Depot is, "We have terminated the employment of those who attempted to remake our safe stores into criminal empowerment zones. Matthew, I think we all respect your passion for this issue, but I have a feeling HD won't do that!

I think from the beginning all we (the gun community who send emails and called HD) wanted out of this was:
1) the sign in Elk River Minnesota
2) HD not to post any stores

Unfortunatly, HD kept putting their foot in their mouths at every turn. At one point they called this an urban legend, then 12 hours later many of us get email stating "all weapons are prohibited".

I'm sure HD had the "all weapons are prohibited" policy to please the anti's, but at the same time did not post to please the gun owners. All companies care about is making money. My company values diversity and caters to everyone: gays, Christians, Muslims, Jews, African-Americans etc. They say they care, but really, if the employees are happy, productivity is up, and the company makes more money.

What was more troubling to me than the "all weapons are prohibited" policy, was the statment they are going to post. Who cares if "all weapons are prohibited" if they don't post. It's meaningless. That said, I am waiting to see what happens in the next few days. However, because of their tone of the emails, I don't think I will shop there - at least for awhile. If they post - never again. The rest is up to you.

Lennyjoe
December 5, 2003, 01:59 AM
Interested in seeing how this plays out. Home Depot got the eastern side of Tucson wrapped up on business.

Hey pax, how bout a float to keep us posted on what Melissa comes up with from the corporate weenies.

Harry Tuttle
December 5, 2003, 06:36 PM
Conceal Carry a GO nationwide at Home Depot

15:29 Hrs. 12/05/03

I just called Doug Zacker, 770-384-5770, head of external affairs at Home Depot.

1. All the signage that has been put up by managers are down or will be down shortly, that includes Minnesota, Michigan, and other states.

2. The national policy will be as it was before this blow-up (and this has been approved by the CEO, (Mr. Nardelli) Home Depot will not discriminate against legal concealed weapons holders. In other words if you are legal you can carry concealed on their premises.

3. Customer care will be sending out new emails to parties that have been told otherwise (when I get the email I will post it).

4. Home Depot admits a lack of communication with their employees regarding this issue and it has been rectified from the store managerial level on up.

5. The policy letter that was emailed to everyone was a caption taken out of their rulebook for home depot workers and changed by certain parties (has been corrected).

6. Home Depot was amazed how networked this movement was concerning this issue.

7. I personally wish to thank everyone who participated by calling, faxing, and emailing. Amazing what can be done when you stick together.

8. Just in case you run into a rogue store manager who has slipped under the radar either call customer care or call Doug 770-384-5770 to report the infringement. CUSTOMER SERVICE (800-654-0688)

Neal & Melissa Seaman
1 (843) 716-0511
Neal@D...
http://DeadBangGuns.com

AZ Heat
December 5, 2003, 07:31 PM
I'm glad someone at the top finally figured out what's going on. Its good to see that they are listening and care about their customers. There's a lot of other companies that would have just turned their heads. I guess its back to Home Depot for this weekend's projects!!

sturmruger
December 5, 2003, 07:39 PM
I sure am glad that they listened. GO HD your back in my good graces.

Frohickey
December 5, 2003, 07:44 PM
How come the Customer Care emails or posts have no last names to Jennifer or Lisa?

sm
December 5, 2003, 08:19 PM
6. Home Depot was amazed how networked this movement was concerning this issue.
Yes many of us are concerned and involved when it comes to personal safety and responsibility. Other businesses have been awakened also.
Not to mention various other signs such as the increase in States passing CC laws, the increase in CCW persons, most notable women.

Now for me it's a matter of principle. I have certain right and freedoms, not just limited to RKBA and CCW. People have the right to place proper signage against CCW in their business, I may not like it but I respect they too have rights that enable them to do so.

Couple of things come out of "networked movements". Corporations and the like become "educated" and with "documentation that can be verified" about RKBA, CCW, what the customer really wants and has experienced--not what some anti group "tells", "suggests" and "misleads" them without documentation. Often said documentation is skewed, mis-contrued, and mis-repesentative to fit the anti agenda.

Often companies "become educated" in regard to where their charitable dollars are actually going. Instead of a Charity or organization being what it is, but actually acting under a guise. "Network Movements" have opened not only Corp heads eyes, but that of other heads, marketing, customer service, buyers...even just the employees, etc.

"Network Movements" open eyes of the public, and I'm referring to the congregation not the choir. We may educate by a Store owner having to explain to a customer that CCW is the cutomer's right to personal safey, a NO CCW means that person rights are impeded. Customer -hopefully- seeks to become "educated" and learns more about this and other freedoms. Learns the Anti and Hollywood crowd are not the ones to seek advice and follow dictates.

We have lurkers on both sides of RKBA, and CCW. Yes we are networked, situational awareness extends and pertains to more than personal surroundings.

People like us have always been around and needed. People like us have protected the sheeple since the beginning of time. "Networked Movements", you mean like Founding Fathers,whom went against the tyranny, fought for what was right, bestowed lost freedoms and set forth steps to insure against in the future?

The title one gives us is not important, the message, and principle from which derived and which drives it is.

bogie
December 5, 2003, 08:21 PM
Cuz they were probably typed by Fred or Bob - folks grouch at "female" addresses a lot less.

Jammer Six
December 5, 2003, 08:32 PM
No! Your question is like asking," My 15 year old daughter only slept with that one guy. She promises not to do it again. Should I let her resume dressing like a tramp and staying out as late as she wants until she contracts a fatal disease, ends up pregnant, or is raped and murdered?".

The response we want from Home Depot is, "We have terminated the employment of those who attempted to remake our safe stores into criminal empowerment zones. We are in the process of retraining all of our employees so that each one will appreciate our diverse customer base. People who take responsibility for their own security are welcome here, as are people who recklessly depend on others. Firearms safety and proficiency training will now be offered by the Home Depot, along with training in the use of other tools. For a schedule of our free training classes, please contact the manager of the gun department or our home office."

That kind of knee-jerk response is why they call us "gun nuts".

I'm going to make sure Home Depot knows that I appreciate their correction, that it is perfectly acceptable to me, and that I will continue to patronize them because they recognized the error of their ways and corrected it.

I'm a general contractor who does residential remodeling, and I spend quite a bit in Home Depot.

I'm sure I can overcome the rancor responses like yours are sure to generate in their management.

Matthew Courtney
December 5, 2003, 08:45 PM
Just got it!

Hello,

The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting employees from carrying weapons in its stores.

The Home Depot does not prohibit anyone who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores, provided the firearms are carried in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

Sincerely,

Kay
Customer Care
homedepot.com

I'd call that a victory for grass roots activism!

pax
December 6, 2003, 01:11 AM
15:29 Hrs. 12/05/03
I just called Doug Zacker, 770-384-5770, head of external affairs at Home
Depot.

1. all the signage that has been put up by managers are down or will be down shortly, that includes Minnisota, Michigan, and other states.

2. The national policy will be as it was before this blow-up (and this has
been approved by the CEO, Mr. Nardelli) Home Depot will not discriminate
against legal concealed weapons holders. In other words if you are legal you can carry concealed on their premises.

3. customer care will be sending out new emails to parties that have been
told otherwise (when I get the email I will post it)

4. Home Depot admits a lack of communication with their employees regarding this issue and it has been rectified from the store managerial level on up

5. the policy letter that was emailed to everyone was a caption taken out of
their rulebook for home depot workers and changed by certain parties (has
been corrected)

6. home depot was amazed how networked this movement was concerning this issue

7. I personally wish to thank everyone who participated by calling, faxing,
and emailing. Amazing what can be done when you stick together.

8. Just in case you run into a rogue store manager who has slipped under the radar either call customer care or call Doug 770-384-5770 to report the infringement. CUSTOMER SERVICE (800-654-0688)

Neal Seaman 843-716-0511
Neal@DeadBangGuns.com

This came from a source I personally trust, but the report is that all of us who e-mailed Home Depot should be receiving letters shortly. If you do not, or if you simply wish to verify, please call the numbers at the bottom of the letter.

pax

pax
December 6, 2003, 01:14 AM
(Hmmm, it appears I'm somewhat behind the curve ... sigh. Well, no matter. It doesn't harm anything to post it again for those who missed it earlier in the thread. I guess.... :o )

pax

Waitone
December 6, 2003, 11:57 AM
After action evaluation

--Money talks
--Internet rocks
--Pro-RKBA types have a light trigger and those who inhabit the land of corporate stupid now know it.
--Continued inquiry sets off alarm bells in leviathan corporations
--"Customer Care" don't know doodley squat particularly since it may be located in the Punjab
--"Customer Care" ain't in the policy loop
--Director level and up is the policy shop.
--It is ok to get huffy just as long as you huffy with people who manipulate policy.
--It makes no sense to get huffy with "Customer Care" since CC ain't in the policy loop and is most likely located in the Punjab.
--HD waited too long before deciding it had a problem on its hands.

Everyone who e'd out a nasty gram needs to email out a thank you note for clarifiying corporate policy. . . . . particularly to the policy makers. Might also pointing out that a lot of the confusion was based in computer generated responses launched by "Customer Care."

Home Depot really needs to put together a better crisis management capability.

The problem for HD could simply disappear by posting a clear and unambigious statement in a prominent position on the website. Evidently and not surprisingly, the corporation has a harder time communicating internally than it does externally.

Good work RKBA'ers. You just precipitated a crisis for a major corporation.

Andrew Rothman
December 6, 2003, 12:38 PM
There's a lesson here. Generally, only 1-2% of unhappy customers take the time to complain. Most just disappear.

When many of us, say 50 or 100, make a stink, they assume that there are 5,000-10,000 unhappy customers. And that gets `em moving.

This concept is our own personal "force multiplier," and it underscores the importance of EVERY ONE of us taking a minute to add our voices.

Great job, everyone!

Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Depot Allows Concealed Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!