Gardner Execution Q?

PDA

jdmerk
June 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm curious and haven't seen it reported anywhere. Perhaps someone here has some corrections dept experience and might know the answer...

In regards to the Gardner execution that happened earlier today: What type of rifle did the State of Utah choose to execute him with?
I have heard it was a Winchester and .30 caliber. There are rumors that it was a 30-30, so I'm thinking it was a Model 94...can anyone confirm that?

Just to be clear I don't any strong opinion on the death penalty either for or against it, or some morbid curiosity about his death. I am simply curious as to what firearm the state would choose to end a man's life with when given the option.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gardner Execution Q?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
June 18, 2010, 11:15 AM
I seem to recall that some prison systems did buy a lot of Winchester 1894s at one point in history, so the use of a .30-30 would not surprise me.

Deanimator
June 18, 2010, 11:21 AM
I recall seeing an automated firing squad machine in "Wild West Tech", and I think it used either '03 Springfields or Krags.

Corey
June 18, 2010, 11:29 AM
In Utah they do use the .30-30, but I do not know if it is a Winchester or Marlin rifle.

CoRoMo
June 18, 2010, 11:34 AM
Maybe Henry? I don't know. Doesn't matter much, but I know it is not an automated machine. Five guns/shooters, one blank round, 25 feet.

JShirley
June 18, 2010, 11:43 AM
Not really High Road material.

In practical terms, at close range, any thirty caliber will make a .30" hole.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gardner Execution Q?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!