June 18, 2010, 11:38 PM
Specs:

Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 action and barrel
McMillan A5 stock
Nikon 3-9x40
Pillar and glass bedded
Trigger tuned to about 2.5lb
Remington 700 ADL trigger guard

Before I switched out stocks it was shooting .25" groups at 100 yards if I did my part. I'm going to try to hit the range tomorrow.

Next mods are going to be a Tac Ops cheek piece and bolt knob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/topnotchracer/IMG_0482.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/topnotchracer/IMG_0481.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/topnotchracer/IMG_0480.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/topnotchracer/IMG_0488.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "This is how the Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train should look like" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tkopp
June 19, 2010, 01:54 AM
If I had a rifle shooting a quarter MOA I wouldn't so much as clean it more than necessary, much less swap the stock.

yarik72
June 19, 2010, 02:08 AM
The factory stock was really uncomfortable for me. I played with this stock on another rifle before deciding to swap mine out. If it wouldn't shoot as well as it does I probably wouldn't have done anything. But this wasn't the case. :D

R.W.Dale
June 19, 2010, 02:24 AM
1/4 MOA From a stock hunting weight gun with a 9x scope.

That's UM? quite noteworthy.

shotgunjoel
June 19, 2010, 02:32 AM
1/4 MOA From a stock hunting weight gun with a 9x scope.

That's UM? quite noteworthy.
I think that the term you are looking for is BS. Maybe the OP is confused on how to measure MOA? How many shots in that .25 MOA group, two?

Nick5182
June 19, 2010, 02:36 AM
Sweet lookin rifle! I was in my local shop yesterday, and he has a Savage 10FP in .308 for $599. I'm going to try to pick it up soon.

Tim the student
June 19, 2010, 02:40 AM
If I had a rifle shooting a quarter MOA I wouldn't so much as clean it more than necessary, much less swap the stock.

No kidding.

yarik72
June 19, 2010, 03:23 AM
Ok, how's this for BS?

This is a thread from snipercentral.com where I posted about my range results before I changed the stock.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30522&highlight=

and this thread shows my first sub MOA shots

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24143&highlight=

NCsmitty
June 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
yarik72, don't be offended by the skeptics, as they know how difficult it is to achieve consistent 1/4"-3/8" groups.

I viewed your targets, and I'm a believer. You have an exceptional
Mossberg 100 ATR there, and the new stock looks great.

NCsmitty

Col. Plink
June 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
Perhaps not so exceptional? I also had one in 30'06 that was sub MOA out of the box with (shudder!) "Chinese" glass! I didn't have a use for it but it was so accurate I almost regret selling it. The price point only made it more impressive. The OP should brace for the 'that's a horrible design' posts to follow...

jpwilly
June 19, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hummm, I have an ATR-100 30-06 But it's only shot 1" to .75" groups at 100yrds (still not bad).

How did you bed yours (in the original stock) & What replacement stock fits the ATR-100?

Gave it a Krylon paint job:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/DSCN0068.jpg

yarik72
June 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
yarik72, don't be offended by the skeptics, as they know how difficult it is to achieve consistent 1/4"-3/8" groups.

I viewed your targets, and I'm a believer. You have an exceptional
Mossberg 100 ATR there, and the new stock looks great.

NCsmitty

Thank you sir. I had a feeling someone would throw up the BS flag. All they had to do was ask for some target pictures :rolleyes:.

Hummm, I have an ATR-100 30-06 But it's only shot 1" to .75" groups at 100yrds (still not bad).

How did you bed yours (in the original stock) & What replacement stock fits the ATR-100?

Bedding and a trigger tune, I think, made it that much easier to be consistent in tight groups. Of course the shooter is the major factor in all cases. I spent a good amount of time just shooting it and working on my technique. Of course I feel it's still not the best and I can do better with more practice. I had a local gunsmith bed it. As far as I know there aren't any direct replacement stocks available. Before I started on my venture of finding a new stock, I had read on this forum that the 100 ATR was very very similar in design to the Howa 1500 and that the stock might be interchangeable. However, I didn't want to take the chance of ordering a Howa stock and it wouldn't work at all. It was suggested to me on another forum that I order a flat top stock from a reputable stock maker and have my gunsmith custom inlet it. So that's what I did. One thing that my gunsmith told me was that the 100 ATR design is also close in design to how a Savage sits in its stock mainly because the action screws are the same distance apart. He suggested that I could have ordered a long action Savage stock and he would have been able to make that work as well. But I decided since I had come this far to proceed with him inletting the flat top I provided. Needless to say I'm very pleased. :)

HGUNHNTR
June 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
A .25" Mossberg, thats something you don't see everyday. :/

tju1973
June 19, 2010, 05:14 PM
del

Schleprok62
June 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
Nice shooting...

The91Bravo
June 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
I completely agree.

My blueprinted M-24 with a Shilen #7 contour, on an HS precision stock is sub 1/2 MOA, but I would have to see the shooting... not the pictures of a target.. but that's just me.. I am a skeptic.....

yarik72
June 20, 2010, 02:00 AM
Thank you Schleprok62 :)

And The91Bravo, I see you're in TN, but if you're ever going to be in California hit me up and we'll go shooting :D

I had a chance to go to the range today and was only able to achieve a .5" group...but that was with Federal Power-Shok 150gr. soft points with the help of 14 mph winds and wind gusts up to 21 mph. Needless to say hunting ammo isn't the best stuff to test the accuracy of a rifle. I'll be ordering some HSM ammo this week.

I guess for the skeptics out there I need to make a video of me shooting and make sure the target and me are always in the picture even when I have to walk down range to bring it back. Perhaps that is what I will do one day.

Oh and The91Bravo, you do know that there are many people out there with Remmy 700's shooting below half MOA that either have no work done to them or just a trigger or bedding job right? Just makin sure ;)

FLAvalanche
June 20, 2010, 08:14 AM
I completely agree.

My blueprinted M-24 with a Shilen #7 contour, on an HS precision stock is sub 1/2 MOA, but I would have to see the shooting... not the pictures of a target.. but that's just me.. I am a skeptic.....
I'd like to see what yarik could do behind your blueprinted M-24. If it's only doing 1/2 MOA the problem isn't the gun.

yarik72
June 21, 2010, 05:42 AM
I'd like to see what yarik could do behind your blueprinted M-24. If it's only doing 1/2 MOA the problem isn't the gun.

Although I'm curious about that myself, I'll be blueprinting my bolt and receiver, so we'll see how that goes :)

Mr. T
June 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hey Mossberg makes a quality gun. I can't speak to every gun they churn out, but I think that the shooter behind the gun is as important as all the modifications that get made to that gun. I have a Mossberg shotgun/slug gun that can consistently shoot 1.5" groups at 150 yards (3 shot groups). To others saying that Mossberg can't turn out an accurate gun, you are just plain biased against the company in my opinion. Maybe that bias comes from what you've heard, or maybe what you might have experienced with a gun you owned but when an OP puts up information and everyone cries B.S. - well I just think you all might need to check the negativity at the door. To the OP I just have to say congratulations on a great gun and the excellent results you've achieved with it. I hope you have a lot of fun with it; I know that I've had fun with my Mossberg shotguns. Oh and thanks for sharing your information; I may just consider getting one myself. :)

Col. Plink
June 23, 2010, 01:04 AM
Sub-MOA for $250 at WallyWorld, $50 scope from same, what's not to love?

the recoil was intense, however. I may get one in .243 someday...

yarik72
June 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hey Mossberg makes a quality gun. I can't speak to every gun they churn out, but I think that the shooter behind the gun is as important as all the modifications that get made to that gun. I have a Mossberg shotgun/slug gun that can consistently shoot 1.5" groups at 150 yards (3 shot groups). To others saying that Mossberg can't turn out an accurate gun, you are just plain biased against the company in my opinion. Maybe that bias comes from what you've heard, or maybe what you might have experienced with a gun you owned but when an OP puts up information and everyone cries B.S. - well I just think you all might need to check the negativity at the door. To the OP I just have to say congratulations on a great gun and the excellent results you've achieved with it. I hope you have a lot of fun with it; I know that I've had fun with my Mossberg shotguns. Oh and thanks for sharing your information; I may just consider getting one myself. :)

Thank you sir :)

Sub-MOA for $250 at WallyWorld, $50 scope from same, what's not to love?

the recoil was intense, however. I may get one in .243 someday...

Unfortunately I spent a little more than both of those prices from a retail gun store :(

jonmerritt
June 27, 2010, 10:40 AM
Yes the atr-100 is a very accurate rifle. With a little tuning, you can get jaw dropping results at the range. Been there done that. Its fun to watch them shake there head while saying "no way, impossiable with a cheap %$%%# rifle" And yet it is doing just that infront of there very eyes.

jpwilly
June 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yea, I was totally surprised by the accuracy of mine. Bought it in 2007 and set it up as a budget WalMart special project. Everything on it is from WalMart, Centerpoint 4-16x40mm Scope, Weaver Rings, Bi-pod, and Paint...$375+tax for all.

Thus far it's shot 5 shot groups of 1" -3/4" from a rest (with the occasional smaller and larger group) using nothing more than $13 box Federal 150gr Soft Point ammo. Handloads have been shot but I haven't done enough testing to find it's preferred loading. Most of my development time has been spent with a Savage 10 .308, M1-Garand in 308 and DPMS AR-15 223 Varmint / Target rig.

I should get back out with this rig as it's light enough to hunt with and being 30-06 can take most critters that can be found on the continent.

TechBrute
June 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
Not impossible, just impossible to be credible on the Internet.

Statistically, it's much more likely that the poster is exaggerating than Mossy putting out a .25moa rifle.

Also, I think the load data should be posted. I'm unaware of any match quality 30-06, so I assume it must be hand loads. I'll raise the BS flag if this was done with CMP ammo. LOL.

Eb1
June 27, 2010, 11:10 AM
@shotgunjoel

I don't call BS. My Marlin XL7 25-06 with factory ammo (Winchester 115 grain Ballistic Tips with the black crap on them) will shoot .25" groups at 100 yards regularly. It can be done. But I do agree. I would choose function over form, and would have left the rifle as it were.

jpwilly
June 27, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm unaware of any match quality 30-06

You may want to check this link out then: http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#30-06%20match____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

yarik72
June 27, 2010, 02:48 PM

Statistically, it's much more likely that the poster is exaggerating than Mossy putting out a .25moa rifle.

Also, I think the load data should be posted. I'm unaware of any match quality 30-06, so I assume it must be hand loads. I'll raise the BS flag if this was done with CMP ammo. LOL.

I didn't know pictures are capable of exaggerating?

The .25 MOA group was shot with HSM 175gr Match Ammo

http://www.snipercentral.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=531

Now I'm waiting on some HSM 208gr Amax to come in

http://www.snipercentral.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=693

TechBrute
June 28, 2010, 12:53 AM
Pfft... I can post plenty of pictures with any size group you want, with whatever caliber you want. I just might have to, um, adjust the distance I shoot them at.

I never said you were lying, but I stand by my statement about probabilities.

kiwiken
June 28, 2010, 01:20 AM
hiya Yarik72. I really like the table....

yarik72
June 28, 2010, 01:41 AM
Pfft... I can post plenty of pictures with any size group you want, with whatever caliber you want. I just might have to, um, adjust the distance I shoot them at.

I never said you were lying, but I stand by my statement about probabilities.

Guess I'll just have to try to do that video I was talking about. :rolleyes:

hiya Yarik72. I really like the table....

Thank you sir :D

lopezni
June 28, 2010, 01:45 AM
Why would you buy a McMillian Stock for a Mossberg? That's like using exotic wood on a red rider bb gun.

yarik72
June 28, 2010, 01:57 AM
Why would you buy a McMillian Stock for a Mossberg? That's like using exotic wood on a red rider bb gun.

That's like asking why would you buy shoes that are comfortable for you?

The Mossberg stock isn't very comfortable. In fact I think it's horrible. I have a Mossberg that shoots very well. I wanted it to be more comfortable in my hands so I bought a stock that was comfortable in my hands.

30mag
July 12, 2010, 01:43 PM
From what I understand, the 100 ATR is based on the Howa design, and I will be another person that says that I've seen at least two ATRs shoot really tight groups with just a little trigger work, free floating and good glass. They were owned by the same guy and shot by him and his son. No idea about what kind of trigger work. Factory stocks though I think.

Seems more like supercharging a regular Mustang GT instead of buying a Shelby and then supercharging it.

goredsox
July 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
Federal has match-grade .30-06 - http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Altamont is making the wood stocks for the Mossberg ATR. - www.altamontco.com
-they're currently out of in-house stock as Mossberg is consuming all of their production at the moment.
-keep watching their website. I was told that they'll soon have some more in-house rifle-stocks for sale (around $150 for the wood ATR, either birch or walnut)

This all came to me as I looked high&low for a wood ATR with fluted barrel to take on an October moose hunt. Nobody in my state had the wood, and the distributor wasn't showing any in their systems. So I bought black synthetic and set about trying to replace the black synthetic.

Mossberg told me the best they would do is replace my black with Realtree AP if I sent back the rifle with a $40 check. But no wood.

So now I'm just watching the Altamont site, unless one of you has better intel...

tkopp
July 21, 2010, 02:34 PM

Because it's a Mossberg that shot .25" groups. That's like a Red Ryder crafted by Asgardian Dwarves on a forge fired by cuttings from Yggdrasil to be carried into battle by Thor.

paintballdude902
July 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
not trying to be a skeptic just slightly confused. how do you get a .25" group when shooting a .30 projectile. its just something that confused me

tkopp
July 21, 2010, 05:26 PM
You measure from center to center, to determine the spread of the shots. Or, more accurately, the outside of one hole to the opposite outside of the other, then subtracting the width of the bullet. What's being measured is not the final hole, but the consistency of the shots.

Kernel
July 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/446960385_343f38cd02.jpg

Dionysusigma
July 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
Because it's a Mossberg that shot .25" groups. That's like a Red Ryder crafted by Asgardian Dwarves on a forge fired by cuttings from Yggdrasil to be carried into battle by Thor.
I am stealing this and putting it in my signature. :D

yarik72
July 22, 2010, 02:13 AM
I might just engrave "crafted by Asgardian Dwarves on a forge fired by cuttings from Yggdrasil to be carried into battle by Thor" into my stock :D

jk

rozziboy18
July 22, 2010, 05:39 AM
my .02

do able, i had to spend 2800.00 to do it but do able

just saying

rozziboy18
July 22, 2010, 05:58 AM
ok ive ben shooting for years and years and year, chasing the ''bug hole'' group, ive come close but never with a walmart 3006, not trying to be a dick but ill believe it when i see it.

this is the best i could do with kimber 8400 tactical 308 and a mark 4 6.5-20x50 scope shooting out of a bench vice with a load that took months and 1000's of miles on my truck to work up. all that for one little hole.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu314/ROZZIBOY18/TueJul20140605AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu314/ROZZIBOY18/MonJul19155908AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

oh for all the people im my last post that said i missed the quarter!
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu314/ROZZIBOY18/WedJul21214206AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
the best true, for real 200 yard group i could shoot if my life depended on it!
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu314/ROZZIBOY18/TueJul20185936AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

yarik72
July 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
Mele at Sniper Central was able to achieve a .352" group with his first outing with your particular rifle and factory ammo.

http://www.snipercentral.com/kimber8400.phtml

kis2
July 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
i'm pretty sure the most unbelievable part about this thread is that dwarf comment :) i had to go wash my hands to get the nerd off :p

i don't pretend to be experienced enough to comment on the realisticness of that group. What i do know is my stock 700p can do .5moa groups with my handloads off a bipod and bone support. and thats with me behind it, so that should prove anything is possible :rolleyes:

that mcmillan stock really looks great! what was your position when you got those groups? what i mean to ask is benchrest/vice or what? i'll be curious about your post blue print groups, not a lot of room to go.

yarik72
July 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
With the particular .25" groups i was using sandbags up front and the back. Although lately ive been trying to practice more without a bag in the rear and using my hand instead and have been getting good results as well, just not .25" groups.

kis2
July 22, 2010, 09:13 PM
awesome, well nice work. maybe i should revert to a rear bag for testing my handloads...

yarik72
July 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
i find it to be more stable

paintballdude902
July 22, 2010, 11:39 PM
You measure from center to center, to determine the spread of the shots. Or, more accurately, the outside of one hole to the opposite outside of the other, then subtracting the width of the bullet. What's being measured is not the final hole, but the consistency of the shots.

ah thank you i never fully understood that. i always measured from furthest point to furthest point.

SandHornet
August 1, 2010, 04:31 PM
I can definitely believe the sub-moa accuracy posted here. I have a 100 ATR in .30-06 with the Centerpoint 4-16x40 scope from wally world, $70, and though I don't remember exactly what I was shooting and didn't know how to rate the moa accuracy at the time, I was shooting 150gr winchester power point bullets and hitting all within 1/2" or less at 100 yards using the cheap Kolpin gun vise from wally world also. I wasn't that happy with it at the time because I was comparing it to my dad's Savage 7mm rem mag with a new 3-9x40 bushnell trophy class and remington core-lokt bullets, which was hitting almost exactly twice as accurate.
It might not be as accurate at longer ranges, and of course it isn't a competition rifle, but for most hunting purposes with shots up to a few hundred hards, I don't see you beating this combo for the money, ESPECIALLY considering that if something were to happen, like dropping the firearm for whatever reason, the most you'd be out is like 250 for the rifle and 70 for the scope, 320$ altogether, I can afford to go hunting with it in any weather condition, etc., and not worry about scratching it or dropping it and losing a huge investment. Touch it up with a black sharpie and it's good as new.
I have a stainless Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag now, but when I think of taking something out on the four wheeler to go in the woods with, that I know will take down my target in a single shot, yeah I'm taking the Mossy 100 ATR.

MinnMooney
August 1, 2010, 07:01 PM
from TechBrute (post 25) :

I am also of the "disbelieving" persuasion. I see that some posters believe it 'cause the "targets" are there for all the world to see. Well............. I have many targets with 5-shot groups at 100 yards that are 0.25, 0.30 & 0.19 but they are the rarity and I don't post (brag about) the rarities. Those pics are 3-shot groups which is what people shoot who know that their rifle isn't capable of nor consistant enough for a great 5-shot group.:neener: Three-shot groups mean absolutely nothing to me and shouldn't to any real accuracy shooter. they are nothing more than a possible indicater of an accurate rifle but are more than likely just compensating errors.

Sorry............... I think way too many internet marksmen are marksmen ONLY on the anonomous internet. "Yeah, my RemWinSavFAL shoots 0.00002" at 500 yards all day long... as long as I do my part." Well, I think that they've just NEVER done their part.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from 30Mag (post 34) :
tight groups with just a little trigger work, free floating and good glass.

Trigger work - yes. Free-floating - Yes. Good glass - not necessary at all (at 100-200 yards). I shoot 300 meter F-Class with several scopes that cost between $75 & $900. My scores are 585 - 598 with absolutely no correlation to which scope is being used.
Anything over 300 meters and I'd start using whichever glass that crisps & defines my bullseyes the best.

Dave P
August 1, 2010, 07:45 PM
Psst, Yarik: measure your groups in inches or MOA - not both. They are not the same.

".5" MOA" does not compute.

LoonWulf
August 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
My take on it is that if yarik says his gun does .25s then it does untill somebody proves otherwise, rare yes, extremely rare maybe not, i dont know mossbergs. I have a E.R Shaw barreled 700 in 6x47 that will happily out shoot me, and an old savage 110 with a new savage .300wm barrel that will easily group under 1" if i can keep from flinching.
And as for putting a new stock on his rifle if it makes him happy then great, im happy he chose to show it off even tho i cant see the pictures here at work LOL. Besides, its a stock if it dosent work there are 2 little screws to change it back to the way it was.

MinnMooney
August 2, 2010, 05:04 AM
from LoonWulf (prev. post) :
My take on it is that if yarik says his gun does .25s then it does untill somebody proves otherwise

No. Saying something that's bordering on preposterous does not make it so and proving otherwise is not a possibility since this is an anonymous forum.
Benchrest shooters who use extreme-build rifles and ammo that so precise that it may only fit that particular chamber and every aspect of everything that goes into that shot is engineered and exact, are sometimes happy to see a 0.20" group on all but windless days.
When some mall ninja with an out-of-the-box, $500 WhizBang rifle writes that he shoots 1/4" groups with Winchester white box ammo "all day long as long as I do my part" then it's time for HIM to prove it - otherwise there's a 99.9% chance that's it's BS.
Most of the time I pass right over these comments and go to the next because I know that whatever else he says isn't worth the time it takes to read it. I should have done the same with this thread. Life's too short to waste time on braggers and exageraters.

LoonWulf
August 2, 2010, 05:28 AM
So, i take it that youd have to have a video of the shooter with no cut aways to believe what hes saying? I still say if you cant prove hes not telling the truth the just leave it unsaid. But what ever, everybody is intitled to there own opinion.

MinnMooney
August 2, 2010, 06:11 AM
I didn't start the conversation with, "I don't think you can shoot consistant 1/4" groups with a $500 rifle that hasn't been tuned, trued or otherwise accurized and with factory ammo." The OP said that he could and after watching 1000's upon 1000's of shooters at my range over these past many years who could not shoot like that, I chose to not believe him. My range has a "stock rifle" bragging board for just such instances. It has to be witnessed and cannot be some exotic benchrest or rail gun. There are a few that have 0.10" - 0.25" groups but the shooter usually adds a comment like, "This is my best after 10 years of shooting!"
THAT'S why I choose to be a disbeliever on anonymous forums.

If the OP shot 2 or 3 groups of 1/4" after putting 40-50 groups downrange (AND ADMITTED IT), then I'd tend to believe him but that is not what was posted.

And you're correct........ "To each, his own."

yarik72
September 2, 2010, 04:40 AM
If the OP shot 2 or 3 groups of 1/4" after putting 40-50 groups downrange (AND ADMITTED IT), then I'd tend to believe him but that is not what was posted.

I guess you missed the pictures where I have two quarter inch 5 shot groups right next to each other and several other groups that are very close to quarter inch. I've put more than 40-50 groups downrange and I collect only the targets that are significant to me. Do I feel the need to collect every quarter inch target I get and post them online? No, because I have my first ones and that's all I need. I'm not trying to convince anyone into believing anything. I thought the forum would appreciate to know there are accurate Mossberg rifles out there. I'm happy there are skeptics here otherwise everyone would believe everything that's on the internet. I shared a few targets and I know that they are true and I have no reason to lie.

Psst, Yarik: measure your groups in inches or MOA - not both. They are not the same.

".5" MOA" does not compute.

Psst, Dave P: give me a break I was learning. :)

47dodge
December 8, 2010, 06:05 PM
Yarik 72..nice gun and nice shooting..
I was just searching the net and wanted to see if i had the only good shooting 100atr in 30-06...Not by a long shot....you have a good one...
My 30-06 stock has been filed where i felt it was too close to the barrel and i took my craytex and die grinder and worked over that trigger and modified the spring to have less trigger pull....With the stock scope (Bushnell) i was shooting at 110 yards outdoors with rice bag for a rest..hornady 3031 bullet and 52.5 gr of imr 4064...Ok here goes my BS..as some call it..first 2 shots side by side and .25" apart center to center measured with dial calipers..then the 3rd would always go right between the 2 but open up the group to .500"
this is with no resting time except to see where the bullets landed and to mark it on a sheet of paper beside me..i do this after each shot fired

my scope broke so i got a centerpoint 4x16x40...the gun was cleaned well and i went shooting again...groups were not the normal .25" apart but seemed every one was a flier ....well the group was .990".4 shots..

I set it down and played with my 10fp in 308 for a couple hours..then picked up the mossberg to put it away..i had 4 rounds left..well i shot all of them back to back...maybe 40-60 seconds between rounds...HHHMMM .550" group.
that is the way it usually shoots

windy oklahoma days BTW...seems the barrel likes to be shot a few times after cleaning. to tighten my groups....

Any way you slice it the guns will shoot..i got a crow at 236 yards hit right center chest...got a deer at 275 and hit right where i was aiming..along with a yote at 30
If you practice that is what you will get....

get this-- my savage 10fp with accutrigger in 308 24" barrel cant shoot that good yet....Could be the huge crosshairs of the nikon buckmaster..they cover 3/4" numbers at 100 yards..good crosshairs for hunting big stuff

Just my 2 cents..
now time to surf this forum:D

acedk82
September 20, 2013, 12:24 AM
How did you get that stock did you have to send it to them?

Arkansas Paul
September 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
Jesus, he didn't say that every time he shot, it was a quarter inch group. He said the rifle will do it. I don't see what's so hard to believe. My dad has an ATR in .30-06 and it shoots MOA. I've never got a quarter inch group out of it, but I'm not that great of a shot either.

ok ive ben shooting for years and years and year, chasing the ''bug hole'' group, ive come close but never with a walmart 3006

I've damn sure got a Wal Mart .30-06 that will do it. Its a Weatherby Vanguard and I got it for only $390. The factory target was one hole, and I've done it on numerous occasions myself. Believe it or not.

xxjumbojimboxx
September 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
Nic shootin... im not patient enough to shoot like that... if it crcks the skull its a good shot.. thats a six inch target at least! All that matters :)

Gtscotty
September 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
That's a nice shooting rifle! What was the significance of the comment in your first link about the bolt not flying into your face because you welded it? Is bolt breakage a common complaint with the ATRs?

ugaarguy
September 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
Acedk82, you may want to see if Yarik72 is still active over on the precision rifle forums. His last activity here was nearly three years ago, or about the time this thread was last active.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is how the Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train should look like" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!