Ammo Prices

PDA

Onward Allusion
June 20, 2010, 01:14 AM
DROPPING???

I keep a pretty vigilant watch on ammo prices, including those online and have noticed that ammo prices have been dropping and availability is on the rise. This is especially true with 9mm. I've run across ~$8 for Brown Bear, ~ $10 for Blazer non-reloadble, & ~$11 for WWB & Blazer Brass.

Has the shortage finally ended or is it supply/demand? (i.e. all the hoarders are all stocked up...and production ramped up) I mean, I'm seeing Wally World always having ammo these days...every time I'd stopped in...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slowr1der
June 20, 2010, 01:39 AM
On ammo that's common like that I've seen Walmart have it instock more often, but I haven't seen it go down in price. .22 ammo in bulk packs is the same way. Still up in price for where it was a year or two ago and hasn't gone down in price here.

There are others like Federal Fusion ammo that when I started using it 3 years ago was $17.99 a box. Then I got some the year before last for $22.99 a box. Then it went up to $29.99 a box. I see it's back down to about $22.99 a box now. So it has come down some. I'm not sure if the stores just aren't selling it so lowered the price hoping to move it, or what.

loadedround
June 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
I've noticed the same thing with primers recently. All sizes and makes of primers are starting to hit the shelves in the gun shops. My guess is the hoaders have what they think they need, and that the manufacturers are starting to catch up with supply and demand. About time!

22-rimfire
June 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
I doubt you will see any significant price reductions at Walmart. They sign contracts at a certain unit price and their current pricing reflects those contracts. Their cost is not likely to change.

At best, prices outside Walmart will slowly dip toward Walmart pricing as supply stabalizes and the manufacturers get caught up. I suspect there will be an oversupply of ammunition in 6-months as purchases will drop off to what is used not what is "wanted" to be on hand.

Hatterasguy
June 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
Prices have been dropping all year. Brass case 5.56 is down .20-.25 cents a round from the high's of last year.

I hope all the 100 million round horders are done so the rest of use can get back to shooting.

Ala Dan
June 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Prices on primers here in central Bama'Land seem to be hanging 'round the
$34.99 per thousand mark; and we have not seen a drastic decrease in the
loaded [factory] ammo department either~! :uhoh: ;)

nathan
June 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
THe war in Iraq is waning . Pentagon not ordering as they much as they should . Most supplies are reshipped to Afghanistan. Less demand on ammo production back home and abroad.

CombatArmsUSAF
June 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
I was just online the other day and I thought that prices on components were less than they were a couple of months ago. We are back down to between 15-20 dollars for 1,000 primers. The same primers a few months ago were going for 20-30 depending on what websites you were frequenting. It also seems to be easier to find primers but small pistol primers are still not as easily found as they were a few years ago.

It is getting better though!

SIGP250
June 20, 2010, 12:11 PM
It is mostly supply and demand. Many who were shooting 200 rounds a week are shooting 100 rounds a month or less. The economy is still very weak. Gun and ammo sales are down.

It also has to do with much more imported ammo on the shelves to meet demand at reasonable cost. You may now see Winchester .380 white box. It is Winchester but is not 95 gr. it is 92 gr. and manufactured out of the country. Cabela's, Gander Mountain and several other big box stores have be buying Russian made ammo. Wolf, Herters, etc. to offset the shortages.

BeerSleeper
June 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
We are back down to between 15-20 dollars for 1,000 primers
Where? Please, do tell.

taliv
June 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
I hope all the 100 million round horders are done so the rest of use can get back to shooting.

heh, no, we haven't yet begun to hoard! we're waiting for the prices to come down. too expensive to hoard at these rates. :)

but prices are coming down.

edit: for example, i'm buying 30cal projectiles now for 4.5 cents

BeerSleeper
June 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
Is better to hoard when prices are trending down, then trending up. That said, I'm still waiting for response by the guy who claimed to find $15/1K primers.

W.E.G.
June 20, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'm still pretty well stocked from the Clinton primer shortage.

searcher451
June 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
I just found Magtech .380 ACP self-defense rounds (box of 20) for just under $17. Never tried the stuff, but at that price, how could you pass it by? I don't think that ammo is coming down in pricce, by any stretch, but sometimes you do find surprises out there.

Balrog
June 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
As soon as Obama gets re-elected, the prices on Ammo and AR's will go back through the roof.

Zack
June 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm still pretty well stocked from the Clinton primer shortage. @W.E.G

Is this you? :D

Prices are still high but I notice a lot of pistol ammo at wally world. 380/.40/.45/9mm/357 like 2 boxes of that though.

Walkalong
June 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
Primers were in abundance at the gun show last weekend. $32.99, but plenty of them.

Not much ammo. Just the table or two of old boxes of 50 for more than new stuff, per usual. No big tables of bulk ammo yet like sometimes in the past.

DoubleTapDrew
June 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
I hope all the 100 million round horders are done so the rest of use can get back to hoarding.
Fixed it :D

Patriotme
June 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
I buy most of my rifle ammo online and my handgun ammo at Walmart. I really can't say that I've seen prices drop. More is available however.
Dick's Sporting Goods is the exception. They are constantly up and down on prices for .223.

wow6599
June 22, 2010, 07:49 PM
When WWB 100 rd value packs of .45ACP and 9mm get back to around $23 and $16 I will be happy again. Hell, I never thought I would be reloading 9mm but I am now.

Yo Mama
June 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
Prices have not come back down.

To those that blamed the "hoarders", let me burst your bubble-there never was any hoarding!!!

Oh, wait, yeah when Obama came into office we bought more, but not a hoarding levels. When there is no supply, then it's easy to call it hoarding.

Fast forward to present-prices.....why are they still the same as during the "hoarding" era? Hmmmm....maybe the ammo companies profiting from fear? Can't be? Why then with increased supply are prices still hovering at all time highs?

Just doesn't make sense, but hey it's still those horrible hoarders (fellow shooters) fault.

content
June 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Like gas prices once we do pay we will pay, so I don't see a price reduction.

Availability is up, I walked out of the store last night with 6 boxes of .40s&w(the same $14.00), two Federal bulk .22($19.00 up $3.00 from six months ago), and a case of .20 ga. (no difference)

Used to be one or maybe two boxes per visit, period.

miamiboy
June 22, 2010, 08:22 PM
Maybe, but good luck trying to find the defensive ammo you're looking for.

Rshooter
June 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
Think about it. Obama was gun salesman of the year (decade). Once all of those people bought guns they needed to feed them. Demand outstrips supply and panic ensued.

I was at a gun show last weekend and it was pretty well stocked but all of the ammo brokers were trying to profit heavily on what they had.

sonier
June 22, 2010, 09:14 PM
Im glad i can find primers again, ammo is back prices are the same, hopefully the cost will start to go down. that primer hazmat fee is nasty though.

John Wayne
June 22, 2010, 09:18 PM
Walmart actually went up recently! Federal 9mm was $8.97 last time I stocked up, now it's $9.50. Still the cheapest stuff around...even buying in bulk online is more expensive than Wally World Federal stuff.

Hammerhead6814
June 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Prices in my area are pretty solid now. Sans 9x17, which is going up, and up, and up. I wonder when it'll reach it's peak? I'm guessing when everyone regains their sanity and goes back to 9x19.

Fortunately with everyone so crazy for 9x17, us 9x19 shooters are reaping the benefits. I'm paying $9.95 for Blazer ball, 50 rounds a box. Can't beat that. Only Brown Bear, at $7.99 a box of 50, is cheaper.

Dysfunctional Individual
June 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
I suppose that none of the hoarders and SHTFers like to admit it, but anyone who's been to a gun show or shopped online recently can attest to prices coming down. A year ago, SA battlepacks ran around $70-80 in my area, and now can be had for $15-25 less. Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt have been running ammo sales on formerly hard-to-find calibers like 9mm, 5.56 and .308. I've sold a few k of these on GunBroker recently to thin my stash a bit, and it's taken weeks (vs. mere days when Obummer was in the big spotlight).

Balrog
June 22, 2010, 11:54 PM
Now is the time to stock up. Just like stocks, you buy when no one else is buying, and sell when no one else is selling.

Lou McGopher
June 23, 2010, 02:06 AM
.45acp prices haven't budged much in over a year

Yo Mama
June 23, 2010, 09:44 AM
I suppose that none of the hoarders and SHTFers like to admit it, but anyone who's been to a gun show or shopped online recently can attest to prices coming down.

Ok, I'm done. I HATE the use of the word hoarder with ammo. We did not hoard. Buying a few extra boxes is not hoarding. All you are doing is ignoring the problem, and blaming the victim. Plays well with the libs plan to tear us appart from the inside, and they had help from the industry.

Prices have not come down, either at gunshows or online. In addition you pay for parking, entry, or shipping. Also, most of the gun shows have reloads, which I won't use.

huntsman
June 23, 2010, 10:03 AM
.45acp prices haven't budged much in over a year
+1 Back about 4 months ago .45 UMC went up$1.00 a box at WW, I don't know about now because it has completely disappeared off the shelves since then.

Dysfunctional Individual
June 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Prices have not come down, either at gunshows or online. In addition you pay for parking, entry, or shipping. Also, most of the gun shows have reloads, which I won't use.

Then I guess I'm just lucky...

rhodco
June 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
I usually buy from these guys and have no complaints:

http://www.georgia-arms.com/

I found the quality of their "canned heat" specials to be consistently good.

oneounceload
June 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
but all of the ammo brokers were trying to profit heavily on what they had.

SO? Called CAPITALISM, affected by supply and demand - which is UP thanks to military, people who went on panic-induced buying sprees, and thousands if new gun owners who also panicked when the current admin was elected. Add in a HUGE increase for lead for things like batteries (number one use for lead), and the fact that some of you are finding ammo at close to older levels is remarkable.

Amazing how many folks complain about the prices of ammo, but if they had bought huge quantities when prices were low and had a chance to sell during panic times, they would be crowing about how they made a killing............just like gun shows - prices are too high when you're trying to buy and those guys are trying to rip you off when you're trying to sell.............right.................

It costs what it costs - don't like it?? You have CHOICES - reload, buy in bulk, start your own ammo company, don't shoot as much.........

Yo Mama
June 24, 2010, 09:38 AM
SO? Called CAPITALISM, affected by supply and demand - which is UP ...demand is lower, and supply is higher,....hmmm according to your Capitalism the price should be lower

Amazing how many folks complain about the prices of ammo, but if they had bought huge quantities when prices were low and had a chance to sell during panic times, they would be crowing about how they made a killing

Yeah, I'm getting a bit sick and tired of hearing all the people on this forum that made a killing with the price of ammo, so many threads they get shut down. Again, your right, it's fellow shooters fault.

oneounceload
June 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
...demand is lower, and supply is higher,....hmmm according to your Capitalism the price should be lower

I'll disagree on demand being lower, and while supplies have started to get caught up, many cartridges are only loaded once per year; especially true for folks who shoot odd or lightly used ones. Prices haven't dropped much, if at all, because raw material costs have gone up. Demand for lead is still high worldwide - as China and India start to make cars for the newly-formed middle class folks, lead will go even higher. Lead mines around here do not just sell to bullet/ammo makers

Yo Mama
June 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'll disagree on demand being lower,
But it has to be. If suppy has overtaken demand (and I mean I'm seeing this stuff stacked 6ft high), then demand is on the wane.

Demand for lead is still high worldwide - as China and India start to make cars for the newly-formed middle class folks, lead will go even higher. Lead mines around here do not just sell to bullet/ammo makers

I'll trust you on this one, as I never thought about it. It's one more reason to shore up America's ability to mine for it's self any resources needed.

Thanks for the dialogue oneonceload.

sonier
June 25, 2010, 12:55 AM
So my local gun store had 22 ammo he was one of those the world is going to end and you wont ever see ammo again types face it ammo is coming back it may never go down in price like it was 5 years ago but thats do to inflation.

rscalzo
July 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
Cabelas in ME had so much ammo on the floor they were stacking it in the aisle.

ccjcc81
July 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
I was at wal mart last night and saw more ammo there than I have seen in a very long time. My heart soared like an eagle. Still can't afford it though. I remember when WWB 9mm 100rnd value packs were under $10. Sigh.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/ccjcc77/walmartammo.jpg

miamiboy
July 30, 2010, 06:14 PM
Whoa! :what:

Thank God for them rolling back those prices!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!