Help me decide....M28 or M57

PDA

papa_bear
June 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
I think this might be my first post here not sure. either way been reading these forums for a long time. Anyways to get to the point....

I am having trouble deciding between 2 guns. The first choice is a S&W 28 pinned and recessed from the late 60's. 4" barrel, fired very little, almost considered new. $510 asking price.

The other is a new S&W 57-5 Mountain in .41 mag. 4" barrel This is the post Hillary lock. I have never fired a 41 mag. I have extensively shot 357. Not a bad cartridge but is very hard on the ears. I recently sold off all my handguns so It's time to re up. If I had the money to buy both. What are some opinions out there about this choice. I don't plan on hunting with either of these. And I plan to start reloading soon. I have heard some people complain about the lock and the mim parts on the new revolvers. I don't know of any real draw backs of the new ones. The hole doesn't bother me to much other than the principle and the mim parts seem strong enough....

Opinions please.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide....M28 or M57" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ky Larry
June 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
If you reload, it would probably be a wash. If you are going to be buying factory ammo, I'd probably go with the Model-28. .38spl/.357 mag is pretty easy to find. Besides, the fit and finish on the older S&Ws is, IMHO, better.

jpdavis423
June 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have owned a Model 28 and an older Pre-lock 57. Apart from the lock I think the quality of the post lock guns is at least as good as the earlier models. I've read some threads that say it is better because the new CNC machines are better than the old ones. In terms of potential resale value the prelock guns are probably better.
I reload so ammo costs were not an issue. I find that I shoot my .38's and 357's more than my 41's and 44's.

Jeff

oldrevolverguy
June 20, 2010, 03:56 PM
The 38/357 is much more readily available, less expensive, with awesome versatility. Reloading components are similarly easier to come by.

You have not specified the purpose for the weapon. The indication that you intend to reload suggests a lot of general practice/play/plinking. You just can not beat non-plus p 38s for accuracy and low recoil particularly our of an N frame Smith. From 40 years of experience the 38/357 is one of the best learning, playing, and anti-personnel rounds and everyone should own at least one.

papa_bear
June 20, 2010, 04:07 PM
This gun would be a quick go to HD/SD gun. I have had many poly handguns and revolvers over the years. I don't care much for the polymer guns. I just don't shoot them as well as revolvers. And I don't care for snub .357's as the recoil is unpleasant and the accuracy suffers past 20 yards.

TonyT
June 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
I would opt for the Model 28 as a wider varietyof 0.357" diam bullets are available for handloading. Also a wide variety of factory defensive ammo in 38 Special and 357 Magnum.

Steve C
June 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
Get both if you can afford it. Shooting the .41 mag very much will almost require you to be a hand loader or rich. The 28 is a less expensive shooter and ammo is more easily found.

md7
June 20, 2010, 05:05 PM
i would go with the m28. classic revolver in a common and effective SD cartridge.

Oro
June 20, 2010, 07:54 PM
It's very close, both are good guns.

If the 28 had the original grips I'd get that one. It has a proper square grip frame, and uses a wider variety of much more available ammunition. Unless you are hunting with the gun or carrying it in big bear country, the extra power of the .41 magnum is not truly useful enough to offset the ammo penalty. Also, I'm not a fan of round butt grip frames on larger guns, and the stock Ahrends grips on the 57-5 were very unattractive.

orionengnr
June 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
If it were a pre-Lock M57 I would choose that.
Since the M57 is an ILS gun I would pick the M28 in a heartbeat. You can always buy an M57 later (preferably a pre-Lock gun).

In full disclosure, the .41 Mag is my favorite revolver cartridge. But I wouldn't buy another ILS S&W (yes, I've owned a number of them).

kenno
June 20, 2010, 11:12 PM
I have a 28, WAY TOO HEAVY for the caliber. Get the 41, far more versitile

papa_bear
June 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
orionengnr, out of curiosity, why wouldn't you buy another ILS? I really want the .41 mag but the ILS part is throwing me off. All the pre locks are running close to a G.

Oro
June 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
I have a 28, WAY TOO HEAVY for the caliber. Get the 41, far more versitile (sic)

Well that's simply not true. A "right sized" .357 like the 586/686 or a Python weigh just about as much as a 28 in the 4" configuration. All of the most popular .357 guns in that group weight 38 to 42 ozs, and the 28 comes in at 41 ozs.

Old Shooter
June 21, 2010, 08:25 AM
I had a 28 and loved it. Good heavy .357 could handle any loads you wanted to use and mine was very accurate. Mine was a 6", if it had been a 4" I'd still have it.

oldbear
June 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
From all of my readings the .41 magnum is close to the perfect all around handgun cartage, if you reload; if not you are stuck with what little factory ammo is available, which is darn little. I have wanted an M-57 for years and now that Iím in the position that I can afford one, I will not buy one as factory ammo has become so hard to find and expensive.:banghead::cuss:

The M 28 is an excellent platform for the .357 round. I doubt you will be unhappy with one.

Ala Dan
June 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
Another vote for Smith & Wessons "workhorse": the model 28-2, .357 magnum~! ;)

Black Majik
June 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
Given the circumstances, I would also choose the M28 HP.

wanderinwalker
June 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
Get the 28-2 and don't look back! IMO it and the S&W M-19 are THE .357 Magnums. No offense to you Python, GP-100 and 686 fans, but your guns are fat and ugly with those full-lug barrels. :neener:

Back to being serious, if the 28 checks out in good time and lock-up, take that. It's much easier to find .357-358" reloading supplies versus .41", factory ammo is more plentiful and the N-frame .357 will take anything you can stoke in it.

Of course, the gun I learned to shoot DA revolvers with was my grandfather's 4" Highway Patrolman. I want one just like it someday (and I know I may one day end up with IT :( ), so I may be biased.

almostfree
June 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
I love the 28, but $510 is a bit high.

BCRider
June 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
The 28 takes the strongest magnum loads and laughs as it carresses your hands.

Get the 28 and then as a total contrast look around for a companion wheelgun that takes .45acp in full moon clips. That would be the best of both wheelgun worlds to my thinking.

orionengnr
June 21, 2010, 10:45 PM
orionengnr, out of curiosity, why wouldn't you buy another ILS? I really want the .41 mag but the ILS part is throwing me off. All the pre locks are running close to a G.
Without turning this thread into (yet another) "I Hate The ILS" thread, let's just say...I hate the ILS. Plenty more info out there if you are interested.
That said, I have bought two very nice pre-Lock M-57s (one 4" and one 6") in the last year or so. Each was about $700. I have seen several others in the last year in the same price range. Keep an eye open; they are out there.

Oro
June 22, 2010, 04:20 AM
papa bear,

I have to agree with orionengnr. I don't want to say "I hate the ILS,", but let's say I'm strongly disinclined to it. It won't entirely prevent me from buying a new S&W revolver. But when an equivalent gun is available similarly priced from pre-lock days, no way am I buying the lock gun.

If you are strongly inclined to the 57, I would echo his sentiment to bide your time, be patient, diligently search and get an older one used. Hmmm - a 57 "no dash", nickel plated, 4", smooth target grips - bestill my heart...

Still more costly to shoot and less versatile than the 28, but what a great machine.

I love the 28, but $510 is a bit high.

If it's a '60s vintage one in the condition he says, and especially if it has original and diamond-centered grips, that's a very fair price. In fact, I might take it if he doesn't and it meets those specs. I sold my only 28 a few years back as part of a trade to get a 3.5" 27. It was worth it for the 27. But that 28 is the only gun I've sold in 20 years of swapping iron that I now want back. Even if it's entirely redundant with the 27, 686, and multiple 19s around. A 28 is a great working gun.

Iggy
June 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
I have both. Carried a .41 mag as a duty gun for 13 years. I am a firm believer in the .41. I have two 57's and a 58.
From a practical standpoint, I would choose the Model 28. If I could only have one when the stuff hit the fan, I would opt for the .38/.357 option.

More versatile, if all goes well, your kids and grand-kids will enjoy it too.

HankB
June 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
In good condition, I'd take a pre-lock, no MIM, pinned & recessed N-frame Smith over any post-lock, MIM, N-frame Smith.

$510 is a little high, but if its in good shape and no sales tax, I'd lean towards it . . . and try to negotiate a bit downward. (A wad of cash can lubricate negotiations . . .)

joed
June 22, 2010, 10:19 PM
Easy choice, the 28. I've owned 44 S&W revolvers in various models in the last 10 years. Not one of them is a .41 mag. They are either .357 or .44 cals. I came close to buying a model 57 4" nickel a few years ago. I fought with my conscience but in the end I passed.

Regardless of what others say the .41 is dying. There aren't a lot of components for it and try to find factory ammo. You won't find it at Walmart and you'll pay a premium price for what you find.

On another note I have a bullet casting business casting Keith style bullets for revolvers. Very stupidly I got talked into buying a 220 gr Keith style mold for the .41 Mag. Would you believe I just got an order for 400 bullets, first order in 5 years. That speaks volumes on this caliber.

The 28 is a tank. You can shoot hot loads all day long and not hurt it. The ammo is easy to find and so are components. I owned 4 of them at one time.

leftymachinist
June 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
Since you're starting your collection over, get the M-28. I still got my first DA a model 27, and it's my main sidearm. I let a model 57 w/6"(5.875"actual) go and kept the two Blackhawks in .41.

earplug
June 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
I voted other.
If your not hunting get a target gun such as a five inch 625 in 45 ACP or a 686.

N frames with little holes are heavy. A model 29/629 would be my choice before a M 57.

papa_bear
June 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
well, i pulled the trigger on the 28. Should be here by the end of next week. Thanks for all the input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide....M28 or M57" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!