Alternative to a Python

PDA

Blue Brick
June 20, 2010, 04:49 PM
Gunblast.com - Royal Phoenix 357 Magnum Revolver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsen3PAJV4

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative to a Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rexster
June 20, 2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, indeed. I owned a stainless Python in the early 1990's, and actually preferred my GP100, which was (and still is) a very smooth sixgun. I ended up trading or selling the Python. I now have more GP100s.

MrBorland
June 20, 2010, 05:20 PM
An alternative to a Python, yet the results of the (2-shot) ransom rest weren't worth showing??? :confused::confused:

Deanimator
June 20, 2010, 05:37 PM
A GP100 is a decent gun.

It's no Python.

I REALLY hate full length barrel lugs, except on Pythons, Diamondbacks, and to a lesser extent, Dan Wessons.

If they made the 4" and 6" GP100 with a half lug, like my old Security Six or the Redhawk, I'd consider one. Until then I'm not interested. I'll stick with my two S&W Model 27-2s.

Sam1911
June 20, 2010, 05:38 PM
Love the bluing job!

And those look like really great decorative grips for hanging on a wall and lookin' at.

Jim Watson
June 20, 2010, 05:49 PM
Man, what are you talking about? Even in youtube the wallows and divots show clearly in the Bubba Buff blue job.

Maelstrom
June 20, 2010, 05:52 PM
The only alternative to a Colt Python is another Colt Python.

Blue Brick
June 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
If they made the 4" and 6" GP100 with a half lug, like my old Security Six or the Redhawk, I'd consider one.

They did for a while.

Doug b
June 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
A nice Ruger but no were near a Python.Check out the gentlemans last shot in the DA mode,looks pretty darn rough to me.

Blue Brick
June 20, 2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100RP.htm (pictures)

benderx4
June 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
Like Porsche, there is no substitute .........

SaxonPig
June 20, 2010, 10:40 PM
Actually, there is an alternative. The pre-1969 Trooper and "357" Colts use the same lockwork as the Python and are just as smooth and accurate. All they lack is the heavy barrel. A nice one can be found for way less than a Python.

Got this well used one for $210 at a local show about 2 years ago.

http://www.fototime.com/FE22715FBAE9A24/standard.jpg

This one a bit older but is in much nicer shape. Paid $395 for it.

http://www.fototime.com/257AD7125BE3D4C/standard.jpg

19-3Ben
June 20, 2010, 10:55 PM
Is it me, or can anybody else not stand to watch Gunblast vids? That guy seriously has problems speaking proper English. I'm not saying that I always use proper Queen's English, but sheesh! That guy just sounds like such an ignoramus that I can't actually take him seriously.

As for the gun itself, that is incredibly nice looking, but in my mind it defeats the purpose of a GP100. The Colts, and to a lesser extent S&W revolvers are really designed to be elegant and beautiful. Rugers are built to be the type of gun that you could go hiking with because you don't care if you sweat on it and it gets a rust spot. You don't have to worry about how many hot loads you put through it because, let's face it, you're not going to stretch that frame.

That's the purpose of the Ruger. But once you gussy it up like this one, it becomes too much of a gem to just not care and at that point, it breaks from the purpose of a Ruger, at least in my mind.

Ky Larry
June 20, 2010, 11:24 PM
Just another case of Python envy.:rolleyes:

Balrog
June 20, 2010, 11:43 PM
I own several Colt Pythons, but I actually prefer the triggers of S&W.

Doug b
June 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
Saxon I seem to remember back then folks would put the Python barrel on a Trooper and I think a minor frame grind,reblue and presto a poor mans Python.Purely enjoy viewing your collection thanks for sharing again.

Guillermo
June 20, 2010, 11:55 PM
I own several Colt Pythons, but I actually prefer the triggers of S&W

Before you get flamed...the Colt trigger does "stack" which some folks don't like

postalnut25
June 20, 2010, 11:56 PM
Saxon is right. I have an old "357" Colt, and it is smooth. It makes me happy enough that I'm not going to look for a python. It's a good looking gun.

FTSESQ
June 21, 2010, 12:02 AM
There are no substitutes for a Python!

duns
June 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
That guy seriously has problems speaking proper English. I'm not saying that I always use proper Queen's English, but sheesh! That guy just sounds like such an ignoramus that I can't actually take him seriously. It's what you say, not what accent you say it in. I liked him but then I'm from Old Blighty so any American accent sounds exotic and delightful to me.

I'm seriously investigating buying a Royal Phoenix after seeing that video.

duns
June 21, 2010, 12:18 AM
An alternative to a Python, yet the results of the (2-shot) ransom rest weren't worth showing??? :confused::confused:It would have been nice to see the results in the video but they can be seen here http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100RP.htm.

Phydeaux642
June 21, 2010, 04:16 PM
There are no substitutes for a Python!

Sure there is: Smith & Wesson Model 27.

Confederate
June 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
The weak link in the Pyhon is that it's an OLD design. The hand/pawl is so small that it wears quickly and the gun goes out of time. This is one thing that Bill Ruger noticed and when he designed the Security-Six, he made the hand and ratchet massive, so Rugers almost never go out of time, and when they do, the user can just pop another hand in!

A few decades ago, retiming Pyhons was fairly cheap -- no one worried about it. Now good gun smiths make as much as heart surgeons! And because all those parts are hand fitted, a smith may have to try 3-4 pawls before he can find one that works -- then it has to be filed and hand fitted until all the chambers line up with the barrel. Yeeech!

Python owners can hard chrome their hands, and that will almost stop wear. But companies like Colt are using old manufacturing equipment and a late 1930s design. They can't hope to compete with newer designs.

sonier
June 21, 2010, 05:40 PM
I could never replace my colt python, EVER but a ruger GP-100 with full barrel lug and a colt style bluing would replace my python and retire it from every day work and carry.

Bubba613
June 21, 2010, 05:47 PM
That looks like a sorry piece of trash. My opinion.

A Smith 686 with an excellent trigger job will shoot circles around a Python and last longer doing it. The python might be the over-hyped gun of the century (and I own one).

Guillermo
June 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
The python might be the over-hyped gun of the century (and I own one).

how much you want for that POS?

ambidextrous1
June 21, 2010, 06:23 PM
There is no viable alternative to a Colt Python!

The Lone Haranguer
June 21, 2010, 06:31 PM
Objectively, the GP-100 and S&W 586/686 are as good a revolver as the Python. But they are more "utilitarian" and don't match its fit and finish and hand fitting.

joed
June 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't even compare a Ruger to a Python, they are not in the same league. I used to have a Python, it was my favorite revolver till they got high priced. I sold it for 3 times what I paid and regret it.

hemiram
June 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
The Python was the prettiest revolver I've ever owned, but I didn't think twice about selling it. I really had to think about selling my S&W 28 (no dash), and several others, but I never missed the Python at all.

buckeye8
June 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
I have an early-80's Smith & Wesson 586 that I love. Mine has some wear, but still looks good. I've seen some early 586's in pristine condition, and I actually think they look better than the Pythons.

(Zips up flame suit!)

Bubba613
June 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
Someone here is advertising a 686Pro. I haven't had one in my hands but based on my Model 60 pro I would probably take one way over a Python. Two actually, for the price.

Guillermo
June 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Python haters are just jealous
it is fun to watch

I have 2 686s and a Model 19 in the house

The old Smith 19 is a great gun. The 686's work fine but are like comparing a Timex to a vacheron constantin when put up against the older wheelguns.

Other than looks, the difference between the old Smith and the Python is whether a you like a stacking trigger or not.

Airman193SOS
June 21, 2010, 11:50 PM
Python haters are just jealous
it is fun to watch

I have 2 686s and a Model 19 in the house

The old Smith 19 is a great gun. The 686's work fine but are like comparing a Timex to a vacheron constantin when put up against the older wheelguns.

Other than looks, the difference between the old Smith and the Python is whether a you like a stacking trigger or not.
I don't hate Pythons, I've simply never had the privilege of owning one as they are not very affordable for someone of modest means like myself. Therefore my opinion on them is somewhat ambivalent in the same way that I don't wax rhapsodic about a BMW when all I've ever owned is a Chevrolet.

That said, I don't really see how a GP100 is too much of a step down. I have an SP101 and it has served me quite well. I can't imagine that a GP100 would be any different. A Python may well be better, but for those of us that don't have the means to obtain one a GP100 seems a perfectly acceptable alternative.

June 21, 2010, 11:53 PM
Alternative to a Python

Alternative ... yes ... but so is a sling and rock. A good alternative ... maybe. Equal to ... definitely not!!

I've had a 4" stainless Python bought NIB since 1992. I also have six Ruger revolvers including two GP100s. Ruger makes excellent, utilitarian revolvers but they are definitely not in the same league as a Python ... not even close. Pythons are works of art ... Rugers ... just work.

:)

Guillermo
June 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
Therefore my opinion on them is somewhat ambivalent in the same way that I don't wax rhapsodic about a BMW when all I've ever owned is a Chevrolet.

You could buy an old Smith for the same price as the GP100 (or close) and get a MUCH better gun in most respects. Think of it as a Corvette instead of a GMC pickup

Guillermo
June 21, 2010, 11:56 PM
oops

June 22, 2010, 12:01 AM
really?

Yep, bought from Code 3 Equipment on S.W. Canyon Rd just outside Beaverton, OR in late '92. I can probably dig up the receipt if you'd like. I paid $750 IIRC and that was a lot back then on my $13/hr welding job and the wife doing an internship with no income.

In '95 or thereabouts, I sent it to a gunsmith in Florida who installed a roller-bearing sear for me ... the BEST single/double action trigger I've ever had the pleasure of using.

918v
June 22, 2010, 12:16 AM
Korth makes a better alternative to a Python.

I have a couple of Pythons and a GP-100. Ruger makes a better revolver.

Airman193SOS
June 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
If I may, in what way is it that much better? They both fire the same round in approximately the same fashion.

I'm not such a troglodyte that I can't understand the differences between weapons. For instance, my Kimber has a much better trigger pull than any of my other weapons, and I certainly recognize that. So, in the same vein, what makes so much of a difference that I should long for a "better" Smith when a Ruger is "good enough"?

Guillermo
June 22, 2010, 12:56 AM
a camry does the same thing as a lexus

camry is reliable

the manner in which it does the job of getting from point a to point b is the difference

Rugers work and are reliable...like a camry

918v
June 22, 2010, 01:02 AM
If I may, in what way is it that much better? They both fire the same round in approximately the same fashion.

I'm not such a troglodyte that I can't understand the differences between weapons. For instance, my Kimber has a much better trigger pull than any of my other weapons, and I certainly recognize that. So, in the same vein, what makes so much of a difference that I should long for a "better" Smith when a Ruger is "good enough"?
It is better in terms of ergonomics, double action trigger pull, and durability.

June 22, 2010, 01:15 AM
Airman193SOS, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have six Rugers with plans to add more. I'm a HUGE Ruger fan and really appreciate them for what they are. That said, for me, much of the Python's appeal has nothing to do with the desired end result. Most of it is one's interaction with the Python while trying to achieve the same end result. The superior fit and finish, the balance, the superb trigger ... all can be felt in the hand. Every aspect of the Python is more refined, and given all the hand fitting it's an amazing piece of engineering. You're right that a Python and a Ruger in practical terms are not that different, and maybe the Ruger is a better revolver for hard, daily use, but there's just something really special about a Python. And by the way, my experience has been that women LOVE Pythons!! The Python is the only handgun that my ex-wife could shoot double action and that was with the factory trigger. Small women with small hands often struggle with double action triggers. They don't have enough leverage/strength to pull the trigger with their index finger.

Airman193SOS
June 22, 2010, 01:19 AM
Fair enough.

Wadero
June 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
I like to think of a Python as an alternative to my 686.

benderx4
June 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
A python is more like a piece of art ... it just so happens to be a deadly piece of art.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3402431444_bb68ebea4a.jpg

Phydeaux642
June 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
A python is more like a piece of art

That's the problem for me: I just don't find Colt wheelguns all that...well...attractive, for lack of a better word. Especially for the price. I own a DS, a Cobra and a Trooper MK III .22 and they just don't do anything for me aesthetically. Smiths on the other hand are a different story for me. Obviously, this is just my opinion.

Ky Larry
June 22, 2010, 06:35 PM
If you ask a Honda Gold Wing rider why he chose the Gold Wing, he can give you volumes of technical reasons. If you ask a Harley rider why he chose Harley, he'll just say "Because it's a Harley." Same with Python owners. You either get it or you don"t. YMMV.

Floppy_D
June 22, 2010, 06:58 PM
I tabbed out the guitar work in the video; a nice piece. :D

Guillermo
June 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
i like to think of a python as an alternative to my 686

good one!!!

loneviking
June 23, 2010, 03:26 AM
Alternative? Actually, there is and it was made by Colt! A Colt Peacekeeper looks a lot like a Python, is every bit as accurate and very similar in feel. But, the Peacekeepers had a rough, matte black finish. So, if you're looking for pretty, the Peacekeeper isn't it. If you're looking for very functional with a finish that you can't wear out or wreck with a Python like feel/design--then it's a good choice. Wish I had a picture of mine handy, but mines at the gunsmith having the action slicked. Look 'em up online and you should be able to find a picture.

Lucky Derby
June 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
Peacekeeper?
Weren't those built on the Trooper Mark V? A very different gun.
There is an alternative to a Python
The original Colt 357. or the original Trooper (not to be confused with the Trooper Mark III or V).
It both the 357 and the Trooper have the same hand fit action and frame, just no full lug, vent rib barrel. In the case of the 357 it even has the nice Royal Blue finish, the Trooper has a more utilitarian finish.
There was a time when I had both a Trooper and a Python. Both 4". After much shooting with both I decided that I didn't need the Python. Both guns were equals, but the Python would bring a ridculous amount $$$ if sold. It was sold at a substantial profit over what I had paid.
The Trooper OTOH is currently in my safe, and often serves bedside duty, and occasionally gets carried. It will be one of the last guns to go should that unfortunate circumstance come to pass.

Lovesbeer99
June 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
I don't own a Python but I've handled them and shot them a few times. I do love the fit and finish and I also love the action (in single action). The double action is nothing too special.

Anyway, I will claim that the Python is not more accurate then a 586, 686, or GP100. It's also not more reliable, it's just smother due to all the hand fitting.

With that said, if you get a good deal on a GP100 and find a good smith to work the action, the GP100 would be as nice, as reliable and as accurate.

Now for the record. I do have a Python on my short list of revo's but I also already own a GP and a Smith.

JohnBT
June 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
"I will claim that the Python is not more accurate then a 586, 686, or GP100."

I will claim it is.

John

Bubba613
June 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
And I'll claim it doesn't really matter since most people don't do all their shooting off a Ransom Rest.

Sniper X
June 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
Loves said,
I don't own a Python but I've handled them and shot them a few times. I do love the fit and finish and I also love the action (in single action). The double action is nothing too special. I beg to differ on the DA attributes of the Python, which stock is better than MANY if not almost all totally tricked out other revolvers.

Anyway, I will claim that the Python is not more accurate then a 586, 686, or GP100. It's also not more reliable, it's just smother due to all the hand fitting. Yes it is....

With that said, if you get a good deal on a GP100 and find a good smith to work the action, the GP100 would be as nice, as reliable and as accurate. MAYBE as accurate, but not ever as NICE, nice is a subjective thing but to compare GP100 which I love BTW, to a Python on the nice scale is like saying a tricked out Yugo is as nice ad a Lambroghini Diablo.

Now for the record. I do have a Python on my short list of revo's but I also already own a GP and a Smith. When you finally get a Python, you will agree with everything I said in my responses....

here's mine.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/134/l_076fe898e93847a5b873590157f62d38.jpg

Lovesbeer99
June 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
Comparing a GP100 and Python is not a Yugo and Diablo. Seriously that's just biased.
Are you really going to claim that a gunsmith like Grant Cummingham, Bowen Custom or Jerry M will not smith a S&W or Ruger to shoot as accurate as anyting else anywhere in the world that is bone stock? Honestly?

We all have our favorites (Ford vs. Chevy) but let's not be unrealistic.

June 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
Are you really going to claim that a gunsmith like Grant Cummingham, Bowen Custom or Jerry M will not smith a S&W or Ruger to shoot as accurate as anyting else anywhere in the world that is bone stock? Honestly?

This is a criterion vs. criteria discusion isn't it. If accuracy is the only criterion for comparison then don't buy a Python since many, many revolvers that cost a lot less are capable of sufficient and possibly superior accuracy. If on the other hand you like a superbly crafted, hand-fitted piece of American history that also happens to be incredibly accurate then perhaps you should buy a Python.

Sniper X
June 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
Love, please find where I said accuracy in my post when refering to the comparason. I was and will continue to say a Python is like a Lambo or Ferarri compared to a utilitarian gun like a GP100. There is no comparason when it comes to "nice". On the other hand since you mentioned accuracy and made your comparason, I will say why yes, a great smith can make a GP or Smith as accurate as a Python, and as slick, BUT that isn't what I was talking about.

Let me add this, lets just compare the Python (A Rolex) to the GP ( a Seiko).

Phydeaux642
June 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Let me add this, lets just compare the Python (A Rolex) to the GP ( a Seiko).

That doesn't help the argument any in my eyes, since all of the Rolex watches that I have known people to have will not keep time and are terribly over priced. I guess maybe I am a Timex sort of guy.

saturno_v
June 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
I absolutely love the Python which I consider the most beautiful looking revolver ever built.

I had the chance of shooting it and it felt very good in my hands (but no better than my S&W 29).

That said, I would never buy one at current prices...and I can comfortably afford one any time of the day....as much as I like it it is mentally hard to justify a difference in price of basically double (at least in my local market) between a Python and a S&W equivalent in the same conditions....prices really went into orbit....

I'm blessed that I can keep my sanity and rationality intact even when I like something very much....I'm a "practical" collector and I liek to shoot my pieces..not into safe queens...

Lovesbeer99
June 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
SniperX - I'm with you on how "nice" the Python is. That's why it's on my short list but I'm just trying not to exagerate to the point of negating my point. I'm not just talking accuracy and I'll provide some links to show examples of what a gunsmith can do with fit and finish along with accuracy.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver_gallery.asp

I know a Lambo is sweet, fast and, Sweet, but so is just about any car that was customized by Boyd Coddington. Check out this link too.

http://www.boydcoddington.com/car+gallery.aspx

SniperX - it's all good.

Sniper X
June 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
ell, as much as I love Hot Rods and as cool as they are....I can't think of one I would rather have than a Merchialago. That doesn't mean of course they are not as cool or neat to drive as a Merch, but they are different and nice. I'd love to have a BC Hot rod. But I would much rather have a Merchialago, but would definitely not like to have the repair bill!

Sam1911
June 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
With cars, just like guns, the more subjective aspects of quality and value are in the eye of the beholder.

Unfortunately, cars aren't on-topic for THR and we've spent more time talking about cars than guns here.

Sic terminus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative to a Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!