DIY Target Retrieval

PDA

Smeg
June 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have a private outdoor range in the country (no electricity near for ~1/4 mile), and I'd like to build a poor man's target retrieval set-up.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help get me started? Maybe a link to guide on this very topic or something? I haven't turned up much after lots of Googling.

I was thinking about trying to rig up something with a bicycle frame & gears to manually crank the target back and forth or maybe purchasing a 12V motor and car battery to do it, but I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure of what materials I might need.

If you enjoyed reading about "DIY Target Retrieval" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nushif
June 23, 2010, 09:00 AM
Just a rope and pulley system would probably work just fine, I imagine.

postalnut25
June 23, 2010, 09:04 AM
When I lived out in the sticks, we all walked our targets out, then walked back to shoot. We were to poor for anything else. Couldn't really afford ammo besides 22s.

loadedround
June 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
Walking is also good for your health. :)

jmorris
June 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
Auto reseting steel. Boostervision remote camera and a scroll type target?

Mp7
June 23, 2010, 09:10 AM
yeah, keep walking. Thatīll stop the antis from giving society the image
that pro-gun people are always pro-gigantic-beergut people :D

LeonCarr
June 23, 2010, 09:46 AM
Two old bicycle rims and some cable? Maybe attach a handle to the rim at the firing line to reel it back and forth?

I get most of my exercise walking 100 yards at a time :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

kingpin008
June 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Unless you've got a HUGE range, why not just hoof it back and forth like some folks already suggested? Otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste to me.

Blackbeard
June 23, 2010, 10:45 AM
Assuming you're doing this just for the engineering challenge and not because you can't walk 10 yards, how about a regular cable & pulley system that you can power with a cordless drill?

ForumSurfer
June 23, 2010, 11:05 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ucpIKQzbiNl04M:http://apenotes.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/converse_all-stars1.jpg:rolleyes:

Second option, have children and get them involved. My eleven year old is happy to run across the often muddy area on our property to replace targets if he gets to shoot the first round.

I have a rig that fits in a pickup bed and allows me to hang several targets. at once. Steel swinging plates are also great fun with a 22 or small to medium handgun calibers once you get bored of putting holes in paper. Just paint the 22 set different than the other set. My last one got destroyed by me hitting the wrong target.

As others have said, just hoof it...unless this is just an exercise in engineering. Some of mine are 200 yards out and I have to cross a sometimes muddy irrigation ditch. It really isn't that bad.

Nushif
June 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yup. LTCs are great tools, but I figure it's for those damn rainy days that you don't wanna leave your hutch on.
And for that the rope and bicycle rim sounds like a great idea.

Boba Fett
June 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
Wouldn't a simple garage door system work? Modified of course for distance and such...

zootsuit002
June 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
A Unicycle rim on one end of a bicycle rim system would provide a more elegant propulsion system while balancing simplicity (oddly very closely related to likelihood that it will not break down) with functionality and aesthetic value.

heron
June 23, 2010, 12:21 PM
Unicycle Rim Or, cheaper and easier to find, the front fork off a kid's tricycle.

Jolly Rogers
June 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa...pro-gigantic-beergut people

that describes me perfectly. :uhoh:
Joe

blutarsky
June 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
you can always get a clothesline pulley kit -- very affordable, and almost perfectly suited to just this sort of thing.

boatme99
June 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
Just like the old clothesline.
If your'e too young to rember them, just watch an old movie on TCM. Anything based in a city always had an exterior shot of some babushka reeling in the old mans longjohns. :D

Claude Clay
June 23, 2010, 01:02 PM
i feed & water the kids;
besides mowing the lawn, target retrieval is another use for them

Jumping Frog
June 23, 2010, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't a simple garage door system work? Modified of course for distance and such...

I have a private outdoor range in the country (no electricity near for ~1/4 mile)

And modified for lack of electrical power?

BRad704
June 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think everyone's on the right track with either walking, or bicycle gears/wheels... The gearing system would make it easier to move the target out there faster with less effort on your part...

Boba Fett
June 23, 2010, 02:37 PM
And modified for lack of electrical power?

I was thinking about trying to rig up something with a bicycle frame & gears to manually crank the target back and forth or maybe purchasing a 12V motor and car battery to do it, but I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure of what materials I might need.

That should work. I'm not an electrician, but to the best of my knowledge, there should be a way to setup a car battery to power a garage door motor system.

oneounceload
June 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
You could always take two pieces of "C" channel and get an RC car. make the car run inside the channels upside down with the target attached to something hanging down off the car (friend made something like this for his indoor range)

Boba Fett
June 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
You could always take two pieces of "C" channel and get an RC car. make the car run inside the channels upside down with the target attached to something hanging down off the car (friend made something like this for his indoor range)
Now that is a pretty nifty idea! http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Smeg
June 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
1) If you consider walking out 10-20 yards to set up and retrieve targets "exercise", you may want to re-evaluate your lifestyle choices :).

2) It's not cuz I need to. It's cuz I want to. One man's waste of time is another's idea of fun.

3) I'm lovin the RC car idea. Would you be able to get me a little more info? How far does it go out? What does it look like?

The Lone Haranguer
June 23, 2010, 07:03 PM
An overhead pulley and cable system like you see in indoor ranges is not going to work well outdoors, even if you wanted to go to the trouble of rigging support pylons, clothesline/wire and pulleys. The slightest breeze will set your target swinging about wildly.

oneounceload
June 23, 2010, 09:25 PM
Smeg - my buddy's underground range is 50 yards long and is inside an 8' galvanized culvert buried, so his channel is attached to the upper side of the culvert. But, if you could make a free-standing frame, I suppose it could go as far as the range of the RC car - he has a VERY light target frame (since he has no wind to consider) that hangs down about 2 feet so his odds of hitting his car is slim.

Picture the channels like this: [ ] with the wheels running on the inside - he can run his target out to any distance of his 50 yard range - it is VERY fast - he had to build stops on either end since he isn't a typical 8 year old who can handle that remote well - the car came off the track a few times! :D

Really a cool setup - I imagine you could something similar with a clothes line and a motor of sorts for even longer ranges.....

Smeg
June 24, 2010, 09:19 AM
An overhead pulley and cable system like you see in indoor ranges is not going to work well outdoors, even if you wanted to go to the trouble of rigging support pylons, clothesline/wire and pulleys. The slightest breeze will set your target swinging about wildly.

That is an excellent point. I had wondered about how to compensate for the wind, but I thought I might be able to fight through it once I started building it. This could be a really difficult obstacle to overcome. Any ideas?

Smeg - my buddy's underground range is 50 yards long and is inside an 8' galvanized culvert buried, so his channel is attached to the upper side of the culvert. But, if you could make a free-standing frame, I suppose it could go as far as the range of the RC car - he has a VERY light target frame (since he has no wind to consider) that hangs down about 2 feet so his odds of hitting his car is slim.

Picture the channels like this: [ ] with the wheels running on the inside - he can run his target out to any distance of his 50 yard range - it is VERY fast - he had to build stops on either end since he isn't a typical 8 year old who can handle that remote well - the car came off the track a few times!

Really a cool setup - I imagine you could something similar with a clothes line and a motor of sorts for even longer ranges.....

I'm wondering if there might be a way to make this work on a track on the ground holding the target frame instead of anything overhead. Thanks for the info.

BeerSleeper
June 24, 2010, 09:31 AM
Automatic retrieval isn't practical if shooting at rifle ranges, and just hard to see it necessary if shooting at pistol ranges. I don't like the automatic retrieval system at my local indoor range...the target zips out fast enough, but takes 10 minutes to stop bouncing. Nothing beats a paper target firmly stapled to a plywood that isn't going anywhere.

My outdoor range has a piece of plywood big enough to hold 5 8-1/2"x11" paper targets (6 if I crowd them a bit), so I only have to walk to the target board every 5 or 6 targets. I'd feel lazy having it set up that way, but it's about a half mile walk to get there in the first place.

jmorris
June 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
I assumed we were talking about long range but some of the suggestions sound a lot like my portable running man target that I built from an old cordless drill and a boat winch.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_runner1.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=runner1.flv)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_runner2.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=runner2.flv)

mfcmb
June 24, 2010, 10:10 AM
The longer the run, the more any ropes or cables are going to sag and the stronger the supports you'll need at each end will need to be. The longer the run the less practical it will be to set up a suspended system.

How about a bicycle that you leave covered with a tarp and locked up at your range to get you back and forth? You can add a basket or rack big enough to carry your targets, etc.

Smeg
June 24, 2010, 02:38 PM
jmorris, that is awesome. How do you get it to switch directions?

*And what I mean is, how did it switch directions automatically when it reached the end? Is there something pushing the little switch on the drill (the one that changes it from clockwise rotation to counter-clockwise rotation)?

yeti
June 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
Why not build/buy a big RC transport and drive your targets in and out, you would then have a moving target platform too.

wishin
June 24, 2010, 04:09 PM
Go to the local day labor pickup point and hire a retriever!:evil:

jmorris
June 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
jmorris, that is awesome. How do you get it to switch directions?

If you watch the bottom video you will see the little nylon stops on the string hit the spring loaded swtich lever QPQT swtich reverses the motor. I had to have the springs so it had a range to stop when running fast. The other swtich at the bottom left makes the target stop on the right side, left side or both sides between being triggered it works off the two limit swtiches at the bottom (with the light blue flag connectors.

Rembrandt
June 24, 2010, 06:06 PM
Made a couple of these for crossing a river on our farm, but it could be easily adapted as a targets retrieval system. A little fabrication skill and some hardware you'll be in business. Distance on these are about 125' long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_7708.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_1615.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Wildlife/IMG_1610.jpg

Bad Penny 03
June 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
There was a Guns and Ammo article years ago where the author used a roll of butchers paper on a tubular frame and threw a motor on it.

He had a spool of wire and a switch at one end to index it forward.

Wasn't that expensive and saved him a trip or two.

danprkr
June 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
Second option, have children and get them involved. My eleven year old is happy to run across the often muddy area on our property to replace targets if he gets to shoot the first round.

Be good for the kid. Heck, for the first 12 years or so of my life I WAS the remote control for the TV, and I had ZERO say in what was watched. :)

dg12
October 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
If we could figure out a way to build a supercollidor - superconductor system to get things back and forth for us. We might could get rid of the dog.

If you enjoyed reading about "DIY Target Retrieval" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!