Rechambering an M1 Garand to .25-06

PDA

Tomecek
June 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
I am curious if it is possible to rechamber an M1 Garand to .25-06. The concept of rechambering and rebarreling I am rather familiar with on bolt action rifles, but not sure of the implications in this rifle. Ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechambering an M1 Garand to .25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
June 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
Yes, it's possible to rebarrel an M1 to another '06 based cartridge without too much modification. You will need a gunsmith who is familiar with doing this conversion.
Remember that the M1 needs ammo that does not exceed the design specs of the original chambering, unless an adjustable gas port is utilized.

NCsmitty

rondog
June 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
But, WHY?

Tomecek
June 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Just for the hell of it, and I love that cartridge :)

highorder
June 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
For the overall weight of the M1, I'd go bigger...

35 Whelen?... :)

Tomecek
June 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
Highorder:

It couldn't compare to my great-great-grandpa's remington model 5 in .35 Whelen ;)

highorder
June 23, 2010, 04:27 PM
Someone please educate me; I've never heard of a Remington Model 5 centerfire?...

Tomecek
June 23, 2010, 04:29 PM
Model 8, my typo.

It was a .35 Rem, not Whelen, now that I think on it.

highorder
June 23, 2010, 04:36 PM
I had a funny feeling you were going to say just that. :D

As for the M1 rifle, I'd try Krieger and Douglas for new barrels.

Perhaps a surplus barrel can be bored and sleeved?

rondog
June 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
AFA your question, if the cartridge is basically a .30-06 only .25 caliber, I'd assume that all you'd need is a custom barrel for that round. The rest of the rifle should be OK, I'd think. Probably need an adjustable gas plug too.

Go to the CMP forums, I'm sure somebody there has all the answers you need to know.

NCsmitty
June 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
Here's a link to Shuff's and they offer 35 Whelen and other barrels installed. Email for a price and availability.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

NCsmitty

Jim K
June 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
Just in case there is confusion, you can't "rechamber" a rifle to either a smaller or larger bore diameter; to go smaller you have to rebarrel. To go larger you might be able to rebore and re-rifle, but the cost would be greater than installing a new barrel.

And then, with the M1, there are gas port sizes to consider as well as any bolt face mods that might be needed. With the price of original M1 rifles today, I would not even consider a modification, but that is just my $.02.

Jim

Millwright
June 23, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hell, if you're going to spend the money why not do the research and chamber the critter as Garand envisioned ?

Jes' kidding ! You would have to build one up from scratch !

I don't see any insurmountable problems with what you propose - with the possible exception of cartridge handling during cycling - cartridge CG might play a role in feeding. You could probably go up to .35 caliber if you use a cartridge with the same base/body dia as the 06 round....... >MW

dirtyjim
June 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
i think fulton offered then in 25-06 at one time, i've consided doing one in 6.5x55

WardenWolf
June 27, 2010, 10:32 PM
Well, the advantage of staying with an 06 cartridge is that the bolt and other components related to loading and ejection can stay the same, and there's probably nothing inherently preventing its conversion back to .30-06. All it would take is another rebarreling.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechambering an M1 Garand to .25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!