Scary people at the range.

PDA

Aw4g63
June 23, 2010, 09:00 PM
A week ago I was at the range playing with my latest AR build. There was a father and two sons shooting. They were all shooting random guns and like always, I keep the corners of my eyes on people for safety.

I notice the father constantly having problems with his Glock. Eventually the guy comes up to me and asks "can you help me?" and just hands me this locked up gun. I tell him to set it on the bench since he was actually pointing it at his sons at this point.

I see it's not fully forward and a shell is jammed in. I ask him if it's loaded and he wasn't sure. I safely beat the gun open and find a 9x18 Makarov jammed in it. :uhoh:

I told him he might want to stop shooting that through it. lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Scary people at the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deltaboy
June 23, 2010, 09:02 PM
ROLF that is Funny and Scary at the same time.

bsctov
June 23, 2010, 09:34 PM
I laughed out loud when I read the 9x18 makarov part, happens sometimes though, a round falls into the wrong box and you load it by accident without looking.

ThePunisher'sArmory
June 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Wow.......all I can say is wow. I dont want to sound pompous but some people should not own guns unless they are trained and understand them 100%

Tommygunn
June 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
Was he firing a whole box of 9x18 Makarov through it?

I once put a round of .41 Magnum through a .44-40 lever rifle because it had been in a box of .44-40.

Atleast the guy asked for help in spite of pointing the gun at his kid .....:scrutiny:

Hawthorne2k
June 23, 2010, 11:21 PM
I've been swept by muzzles more times than I can count at our local public range. The RO's a good and attentive, but they don't have eyes on the back of their heads.

parker770
June 23, 2010, 11:57 PM
I guess I should consider myself lucky that I haven't had any bad experiences with unsafe behavior at my local range. Everyone seems to be have a clue as to what they are doing, save for the occasional "gangstas" shooting a pump 12ga at the dirt 20ft away on a 100yd rifle range, but I am sure that most public ranges have to deal with them from time to time...

It seems more often these days I do my shooting on a friends land where there is nobody else around for miles, and I definitely prefer it that way.

Hardtarget
June 24, 2010, 12:00 AM
I was shooting with friends. Knew them all very well. One had a Taurus Judge. As you know its chambered for .45 Colt/410 and we all wanted to give it a try. Two had shot, then the owner shot. The groups were not what I expected from these guys. As he handed me the pistol he opened the cylinder to empty it. I asked" why are you shooting those in your gun?"
him: Well, its chambered for .45 Colt."
Me: " yep...but those are .44-40"
He almost choked! He had looked at .45s, the salesman put them back while they talked...then picked up the .44-40 as they finalized the purchase. My friend did not notice.

Accidents do happen.

Its good you were able to help the guy out.

Mark

WTBguns10kOK
June 24, 2010, 12:55 AM
This one time, I shot a whole cylinder of .38 special out a .357 magnum! But everything worked out okay in the end, thank goodness...

toivo
June 24, 2010, 02:19 AM
I saw a similar situation with a guy shooting a Ruger MKII. It choked on a .17HM2 round that was in there with the .22LRs. The best part was that he then started yelling at his two sons, who were with him: "Who put that in there?!"

Apple a Day
June 24, 2010, 08:22 AM
This one time, I shot a whole cylinder of .38 special out a .357 magnum! But everything worked out okay in the end, thank goodness...

:D
Aren't revolvers beautiful?
I do that dozens of times per range session! Sometimes when I'm in a wierd mood I shoot .32 ACP and S&W Longss out of a Nagant revolver!

Silly bottom feeders can't hang.

earlthegoat2
June 24, 2010, 08:54 AM
Take off the warning labels and let Darwinism take over from there.

Zack
June 24, 2010, 09:12 AM
I safely beat the gun open and find a 9x18 Makarov jammed in it.

woah......... using x18 in a luger? thats scray...Why do people do these thigns ....

Corey
June 24, 2010, 10:22 AM
woah......... using x18 in a luger? thats scary

The 1mm shorter case isn't a big deal, it's the .010" larger diameter bullet that makes things interesting.

GEM
June 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend couldn't get his Browning BDM to run with 380. Wonder why? I pointed that out to him.

Dave A
June 24, 2010, 11:05 AM
The bullet diameters of 38 special and .357 magnum are both .375. The only difference in the ammunition is the length of the casing. Therefore 38 special can be loaded and fired in a .357 magnum but the magnum rounds will not fit into a 38 special because the casing is .10 inch longer than the special.

ljnowell
June 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
The bullet diameters of 38 special and .357 magnum are both .375. The only difference in the ammunition is the length of the casing. Therefore 38 special can be loaded and fired in a .357 magnum but the magnum rounds will not fit into a 38 special because the casing is .10 inch longer than the special.

Actually they are .357 diameter, and the case difference is more like .125".

yeti
June 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
Actually they are .357 diameter, and the case difference is more like .125".

I knew those .375 Mags looked a little too long... and talk about loud!! I was going to give up ever firing that revolver again, maybe now I'll put it back together and try again.

:evil:

DoubleTapDrew
June 24, 2010, 12:45 PM

Did you take the time to explain the differences and perhaps let him know about the 4 rules for the safety of him and his sons? Everyone has to start somewhere. It's good more people are taking up shooting and being friendly and helpful instead of condescending will keep them in the sport and on our side.

DustyVermonter
June 24, 2010, 02:39 PM
Quote: This one time, I shot a whole cylinder of .38 Spl through my .357 magnum

You can shoot .38 spl's through your .357 all day long, they are completely interchangable. That's the beauty of the .357 in my opinion. I love shooting .38's through a big old trash can of a .357, groups get really tight.

DustyVermonter
June 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
One of my relatives has a S&W Highway Patrolman's model .357magnum and I actually prefer shooting .38spl's through it, The .38spl's turn that gun into a mosquito sniper.

DustyVermonter
June 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
Quote: They are completely interchangable

Excuse me, they are not "completely" interchangable. Sorry, please don't try shooting .357magnum's through a .38spl, although you would not be able to close the cylinder even if you tried. They are not vice versa.

Taildragger-J3
June 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
The 1mm shorter case isn't a big deal, it's the .010" larger diameter bullet that makes things interesting.

I've got and enjoy shooting a Mak. Knew that the case was 1mm shorter -- 9X18 vs 9X19, but didn't know the slug was bigger around. Wonder how come a 9mm isn't 9mm???

Tallinar
June 24, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wonder how come a 9mm isn't 9mm???

The same reason a .44 is a .429, and a .38 is a .357.

Cartridges get their name for a variety of reasons. Bullet diameter, oddly enough, is often not the reason.

ShooterMcGavin
June 24, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've got and enjoy shooting a Mak. Knew that the case was 1mm shorter -- 9X18 vs 9X19, but didn't know the slug was bigger around. Wonder how come a 9mm isn't 9mm???
The Mak ammo was designed that way so NATO forces could not use the Commie ammo.

Manco
June 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
What scares me the most are all the holes in the ceiling at public ranges, some of which are nearly overhead! :eek: On the bright side, the barriers between the lanes seem pretty solid and are generally undamaged (at least from gunfire), but I still don't understand how people can have so many apparent NDs (luckily while following at least one of the safety rules, I guess, although discharging downrange would be preferable). I've only personally witnessed a new ceiling hole being created once, and it was by a guy who claimed that he was trying to decock his .44 Magnum revolver. :rolleyes: That's a reasonable explanation for an unreasonable action. For safety's sake, even if you think you've expended all of the rounds in the cylinder, aim the revolver at the target and pull the trigger to decock it if necessary!

Keep doing that for a while without cleaning, and then try to load and extract your .357 Magnum cartridges. ;)

:D
Aren't revolvers beautiful?
I do that dozens of times per range session! Sometimes when I'm in a wierd mood I shoot .32 ACP and S&W Longss out of a Nagant revolver!

Silly bottom feeders can't hang.

Oh, yeah? My autoloader can shoot .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and 9mm with a simple field strip and barrel swap (and a 9mm magazine). Others can shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm Auto. Can your revolver do that? :neener:

Now wait a second, sometimes the wrong people get killed by the carelessness or stupidity of others. :uhoh:

Cartridges get their name for a variety of reasons. Bullet diameter, oddly enough, is often not the reason.

Sometimes they're named after the case diameter--especially when a heeled bullet was originally used--and sometimes they're named purely for marketing purposes (e.g. .357 SIG) or to distinguish between different cartridge designs that have the same actual bullet diameter (e.g. .222 Remington and .223 Remington, both of which have .224" wide bullets :scrutiny: ).

Taildragger-J3
June 24, 2010, 05:17 PM
The Mak ammo was designed that way so NATO forces could not use the Commie ammo.

That's screwy enough to be 100% accurate.

I reload my .38 but not my Mak, but if I did what size bullet would it take?

danprkr
June 24, 2010, 05:52 PM

Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner!

Hatterasguy
June 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Public ranges, man I don't miss those days. Now I'm at a private range and its usualy just me and my buddy.

Screw public ranges, shooting by yourself is ten times better. No idiots, you can do whatever you want, you can also call your own cease fires. For the first time since I started shooting I can say I'm really enjoying it.

alienbogey
June 24, 2010, 09:47 PM
This guy wasn't scary until he did what he did.......

I just got back from my local range, which is a club that is open to the public to shoot. I'm a recently anointed RO, but I was there just to shoot.

A ceasefire was called, and over the PA one of the on-duty RO's called, "Bench and show clear all firearms, step away from the firing line......" etc etc. He then looked at me, kind of asking if I'd help out, so I walked up and down the pistol line while he did the rifle, each of us looking to see that all firearms were on the bench, pointed down range, magazines out, and actions open to show clear.

I stopped at one pistol booth - there were two Glocks and a Ruger Mark III on the bench pointing down range, but one Glock and the Ruger were laying right-side-down, which means the RO can't visually verify that the chamber is empty. Per SOP, I asked the shooter to move the pistol to its other side so that the chamber could be seen (our club wants the shooter to move it rather than the RO, as a learning point, and so the RO isn't moving a weapon he may not be familiar with).

The shooter steps forward, grabs the Glock, says "You mean like this?" and, rather than simply flipping the pistol from right side down to left side down with the muzzle still pointing down range, moves it from rightt side down to left side down by picking it up and inverting it so that the muzzle was now 180 degrees from the firing line and pointed straight at me! (Kind of hard to describe in words)

I said, "No NO NO!" and, stepping out of line of the muzzle, reversed it to pointing down range, then showed him how to simply flip it from right side down to leftt side down while KEEPING IT POINTED DOWN RANGE.

Mind you, this guy and his buddy were polite, well-organized, were shooting well, and gave no indication that any kind of stupidity was going to occur, then he can't figure out how to turn his pistol over without not just sweeping me but pointing his pistol right at my gut..... :banghead:

To his credit, he took the correction well and apologized.

ShooterMcGavin
June 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
I reload my .38 but not my Mak, but if I did what size bullet would it take?

The Lone Haranguer
June 24, 2010, 10:17 PM
A 9mm casing fired in a .40 chamber deforms pretty spectacularly. :uhoh: I saw this happen in the lane next to me at the indoor range.

ShooterMcGavin
June 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
...one Glock and the Ruger were laying left-side-down, which means the RO can't visually verify that the chamber is empty...
I don't follow exactly. My Ruger ejects casings out to the right and has a right-facing ejection port. Same with every Glock I have fired. For the guns I am aware of, if you place them with the left side of the firearm down on the table, the right side is up and in clear view. If the slide/bolt is back, you can inspect the chamber. Are you saying that the two guns in question had ejection ports that opened to the shooter's left?

alienbogey
June 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
ShooterM,

You are exactly correct, in my worry about trying to explain how he flipped it I reversed right and left. :uhoh:

Post has been edited to be (hopefully) correct.

Dislexia is a terrible gnith.

:o

Hawthorne2k
June 25, 2010, 12:37 AM
What scares me the most are all the holes in the ceiling at public ranges, some of which are nearly overhead!

I put those down to "Of course it's unloaded! (Points gun into the air) See? (BLAM!)" :)

What gets me are the dents in the back of the "Unload your gun here" tub at the Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson, put there by the people we were/are trusting with nuclear missiles...

WTBguns10kOK
June 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
Apparently the sarcasm detection was set to off...and in that case, disregard my previous comment and resume your blissful experience of the interwebz, kthxbai.

Hawthorne2k
June 25, 2010, 12:47 AM
This one time, I shot a whole cylinder of .38 special out a .357 magnum!

I know what you mean, WTBguns10kOK. I have the DURNDEST time with the Tap-Rack-Bang drill whenever I'm shooting a revolver...

Heavies
June 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
Once a shadetree smith decided to "smooth" out his stiff 10/22 trigger. Dumped the whole mag of .22lr in about one second. Everyone stopped and looked at him... he said,"darn i wish I hit somthing."
That tells me he wasn't really aiming at anything!:what:
Luck he was pointing down range.

FirearmsEnthusiast
June 25, 2010, 01:11 AM
I've never seen people make mistakes like that at my range, but I have seen bullet holes in the roof and in the table that you load at.

Roswell_Kid
June 25, 2010, 09:32 AM
And the range is the safe place...

One of the prerequisites to own a weapon here is a practical shooting test. To pass you need to hit a standard letter size piece of paper at least 7 of 10 attempts at seven meters with a supplied handgun. What you shoot is determined by what shooting stall you happen to land in after standing in line. Could be anything, but most likely will be some sort of El Cheapo 9mm auto or .38 SPL revolver.

With our uber-restrictive gun control, and as there has been no standing army here since the 1940s, you won´t find too many people with any sort of firearms experience. Except for what they see on TV. :eek: So you can be sure that at least half of those taking the test have never touched a handgun in their lives. 6 of the 22 in my test group failed.

There were three ROs (seasoned police academy trainers) for every group of five in the shooting stalls at any one time, so there was no real threat to safety. I have to hand it to the federales in the way they handled the whole thing. Watching all the sweaty-palmed shooter anxiety and the spray of misses was entertaining at first. But then it dawned on me that some of the just-barely-passed newbies would be out on the street as an armed security guard in another month. That took the grin off my face.

Manco
June 25, 2010, 09:42 AM
Apparently the sarcasm detection was set to off...and in that case, disregard my previous comment and resume your blissful experience of the interwebz, kthxbai.

I know what you meant, but that's not going to stop me or anybody else from replying to whatever else you might have implied. ;)

Chemist
June 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
I was at a well known range in OKC earlier this year. I asked for three boxes of 9mm and a lane, etc. As I opened my second box of ammo things looked hinkey, after checking the counter guy handed me one box of 9mm and two boxes of .40 cal. I walked out of the shooting bays, through the store and back to the range desk and politely asked if they had more 9mm ammo. He nearly fell over when he realized his mistake and gave me some free stuff to boot!

My question is would they have been liable if I had been the average woman and not realized the mix-up until my gun was damaged?

yeti
June 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
My question is would they have been liable if I had been the average woman and not realized the mix-up until my gun was damaged?

I think it's not the average woman they need to worry about. She would probably give up the after the first few .40's would not fit in the chamber of her Wonder 9. It's the average guy, that would find a way to make them work in his gun they need to fear.:what:

MartinS
June 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
The Range Safety Officer, when he put on his armor. We were just leaving anyway.

NavyLCDR
June 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
I was at a well known range in OKC earlier this year.... He nearly fell over when he realized his mistake and gave me some free stuff to boot!

Well, that rules out Gun World. Gun World would have told you, "No returns on ammo!"

I miss H&H! Although it is nice to shoot at 200 yards.

jon_in_wv
June 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
The state owned range I shoot at has been fantastic over the years. BUT recently the association managing it kicked out the guy managing the range (GREAT guy BTW). Now the senior members have been running the range. One of them told me he lived out of state and moved here because the area is so "white". Another saw me shooting my AK and said, "That will keep the N****** away". I've heard various racist comments from most of the senior member of the association. I haven't told them my wife is black and my kids are mixed. I figure I'll give them enough rope to truly hang themselves when they meet her.

seventy7-7s
June 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
Maybe im ignorant but I thought most if not all .357 mags can support .38 specials. I actually prefer .38s on the range in my 19-3

xcgates
June 26, 2010, 08:28 PM
Seventy, check out his last post, the one about people's sarcasm detectors being turned off...

And Jon, wow, just wow. Be careful.

Apple a Day
June 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
[Oh, yeah? My autoloader can shoot .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and 9mm with a simple field strip and barrel swap (and a 9mm magazine). Others can shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm Auto. Can your revolver do that?

Barrel swap? What is this nonsense of which you speak? ;)
And you can keep your dirty magazines to yourself! :evil:
I can shoot shorts, longs, long rifles, CB's... all out of a single revolver chambered for .22 caliber without resorting to swapping anything! Same with .38 Spl and .357 magnums!
I can shoot 7.62 Nagant, .32 S&W Longs, and .32 H&R magnums out of a Nagant revolver without changing a thing. If I want to shoot .32 ACP I can change the cylinder.
I always wanted one of those Blackhawks with a 9mm cylinder.

SharpsDressedMan
June 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
Add the range officer that went into a THR members bag in another thread.

killchain
June 27, 2010, 12:06 AM
I happily pay my yearly fee to keep idiots away from me when I go to the range.

Manco
June 27, 2010, 12:16 AM
Barrel swap? What is this nonsense of which you speak? ;)

It's for different bullet diameters, my friend. Now that's true versatility! :D

I can shoot shorts, longs, long rifles, CB's... all out of a single revolver chambered for .22 caliber without resorting to swapping anything! Same with .38 Spl and .357 magnums!
I can shoot 7.62 Nagant, .32 S&W Longs, and .32 H&R magnums out of a Nagant revolver without changing a thing.

That's fairly impressive, but being limited to a single bullet diameter for each revolver must get pretty stifling. I sympathize--really, I do. ;)

If I want to shoot .32 ACP I can change the cylinder.

:eek: Changing out parts? Say it ain't so!

I always wanted one of those Blackhawks with a 9mm cylinder.

Have you ever considered a Medusa Model 47? :cool:

DasFriek
June 27, 2010, 01:40 AM
My scariest day really was a bit scary.
In the booth next to me at an indoor public range a guy was shooting a suppressed M4 which was a beauty. He hands it to the female that was with him and 3 other guys.

I see him hand it to her and watched as...well its hot to see pretty girls shooting hot guns.
First round went into the ceiling 10 feet down range, The guy friend helped her point the gun this time. This round went 20 feet down range and into the ceiling again but this time hitting a 12' florescent bulb making a pretty flash and sparks and then glass spraying the range half way down.
At this point i step completely to the rear of the room directly behind her and stay there until the gun leaves her hands.

After a little eaves dropping it turns out she didn't know you had to actually aim the gun. I hope i didn't make this sound too sexist as its completely the guys fault for not teaching this lady a darn thing before handing her a deadly weapon. He's the idiot.

jon_in_wv
June 27, 2010, 08:53 PM
And Jon, wow, just wow. Be careful.

Oh, thank you sir. I am. In fact, one of our members was killed and his weapons stolen at a range not too far from here. When I shoot rifle I keep my CCW on my hip. When I'm shooting one of my CCW, the other is either on my hip or in my pocket. I'm never unarmed. If I see someone I don't feel comfortable with, I leave. Luckily the range (in the past anyhow) has been a pretty good one.

lilguy
June 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
According to another RSO thread all shooters are intellectual saints and RSO are range Nazi's. The number of dangerous ,untrained shooter at ranges is alarming. RSO's could use 2 sets of eyes.

T2K
June 28, 2010, 01:42 AM
Twin Ponds state range near Charleston, SC, circa 1990. This is a public range with no range officer or anything like that. Shooters are self-regulated, and usually it works pretty well with people calling their own cease fires, being friendly and just generally being responsible. I do wonder if everyone makes their firearms safe during the ceasefires, and I've seen people handle firearms when I'm downrange though.

Anyway, this event was an exception to all that. There was a man and a boy there, presumably father and son. They were shooting a revolver. There was a yellow plastic cup on their table.

A ceasefire was called. There were three of us in our group and two of us went downrange. We were both unarmed, this was back when I was about 17. The guy then fired his revolver, which sounded like a magnum, at the target next to us at the pistol berm. The round impacted maybe 10 feet from me and my friend who were changing our targets. This was not a negligent discharge, he fired on purpose.

My friend's brother was the 3rd person in our group, he was back at the firing line. There were also a group of guys there shooting AR's. Everyone picked up a rifle, but they kept it skyward. No guns were pointed at anyone, but they all shouted for this guy to cease fire, what the hell was he doing, etc. His response "I wasn't shooting at them!". It then became obvious that this guy was drinking, there was some kind of alcohol in his cup. He left after that.

I stay armed at the range now. I've been to that range dozens of times since and never seen anything problematic.

ljnowell
June 28, 2010, 01:57 AM
According to another RSO thread all shooters are intellectual saints and RSO are range Nazi's. The number of dangerous ,untrained shooter at ranges is alarming. RSO's could use 2 sets of eyes.

Why bring that to another thread? You know that there was much more to that then what you posted. No one has the right to search anothers bag without permission in that setting.

Sam1911
June 28, 2010, 08:04 AM

Why bring that to another thread? You know that there was much more to that then what you posted. No one has the right to search anothers bag without permission in that setting.

That discussion is CLOSED. Further ressurection of that thread here will result in this thread being CLOSED and possibly infractions given.

minutemen1776
June 29, 2010, 11:48 AM
It seems this thread has gotten a little off base. Let's try to bring it back.

In response to what the OP said, I must say that, when it comes to the myriad of calibers out there, I tend to sympathize with newer, less-informed shooters. It is, of course, everyone's responsibility to learn gun safety and to know what his gun will safely chamber and shoot. That said, there are lots of similarly named cartridges, and some are interchangeable while others are (dangerously) not. Guys at the gun counter can often be of little help, too, and may in some cases be responsible for sending newbie patrons out to the range with 9mm Mak ammo when 9mm Luger was needed. Also, the fact that some Magnum revolvers will safely fire non-Magnum rounds (like .38s in a .357) may exacerbate the problem, because some may know of this interchangeability and assume it applies more universally. I know this because my Dad (who has been around guns most of his life) genuinely intended to buy a sale-priced .300 Win Mag bolt-action intending to use cheaper .308 or .30-06 rounds in it. When asked why he thought he could do that, he cited .38/.357 compatibility as the basis of his mistaken belief. Go figure. So, I wish there were a better way to ensure that shooters (especially newer ones) don't make such mistakes. Shooting can involve a jumble of calibers, names and numbers, and that must be daunting to the uninitiated.

NMGonzo
June 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
Good on ya for helping the guy.

Mike OTDP
June 29, 2010, 01:11 PM
What bugs me the most are the people who persist in going downrange while I'm holding a loaded gun. The idea of making sure everybody (inlcuding muzzle-loading shooters like me) is unloaded seems unclear to them.... :-(

cassandrasdaddy
June 29, 2010, 02:37 PM
something to consider at the range. i had not the benefit of family to teach me about guns. i learned at the range from kind strangers who had to correct a number of what probably seemed to them incredibly ignorant behaviors. almost without fail they were kind and patient even while driving home the very serious safety rules. for that i will always be forever grateful. it is easy to take for granted that folks know what they are doing. i sure didn't and it was guys at the range who schooled me

Ryder
June 29, 2010, 05:25 PM
I haven't been "scared" at the range but inconsiderate people tend to get under my skin.

I was shooting at an outdoor range with the kids. We were the only ones there. In pulls a car with 3 off duty cops who take up the bench to our immediate left. I thought that a little odd considering all the other benches they could have chosen. They then proceeded to spray us with their hot brass :scrutiny:

We moved over a couple benches but it soon became apparent why they did that (to chase us off) when they began breaking the range rules doing quick draw competition. So we packed up and left. Wasn't scared but they weren't hitting the target and the fact that they felt rules didn't apply to them made me feel very uncomfortable.

Dnaltrop
June 29, 2010, 07:26 PM
At the range this weekend, we kept the line clear ourselves, when people wanted to shoot closer to the backstop, everyone moved up to keep things active. till the first group left.

Later, 2 gentlemen came in, and waited patiently while my old man and I cleared the last of our ammo, so they could use the full length of the lanes.

All day everyone gave at least a full space if not more to each other shooter.

Guns went back and forth with the first group, and a polite "no thank you" from the second.

I think that's the most people who've ever shot near me without attempting to shoot me in the gut while demonstrating their knowledge of how to handle a firearm.

Side note, the Makarov ammo was sparking on the Backstop on some shots! Steel ammo is fun.

stchman
June 29, 2010, 07:46 PM
I did not realize that 9mm Makarov bullets and 9mm Luger bullets are different diameters.

9x18 (Makarov) = 9.27mm
9x19 (Luger) = 9.00mm
9x17 (.380ACP) = 9.00mm

I own a .44 Magnum and I still do not know where it gets the .44 in its name. The parent to the .44 Magnum is the .44 Special and it has a 0.432" bullet. hell, I don't even know where .380ACP gets the .380 from.

Mr.Davis
June 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
I don't even know where .380ACP gets the .380 from.
I assumed that it was because it was an autoloader cartridge designed to closely mimic the ballistics of the .38 special, so the name was sort of a play on the .38 special designator.

Somebody please correct me if this is incorrect.

Cocked & Locked
June 30, 2010, 08:44 AM
Confirmed to me by reading this thread...I'm glad I never have to shoot at a "range" (indoor, outdoor, private or public) with other folks on either side. :scrutiny:

ghoster
June 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
I rarely go to the range but do ocasionally with a friend. I always take the 460 so if we get a jerk or moron close by I can "rock his world" :evil: otherwise I just shoot 45 through it to train properly holding and aiming the heavy beast.

Manco
June 30, 2010, 03:37 PM
I own a .44 Magnum and I still do not know where it gets the .44 in its name.

.44 S&W American had a case diameter of .44", and the bullets were heeled, so they were of the same diameter. S&W then based their .44 Russian caliber on it but slightly reduced the bullet diameter to approximately its current diameter (per the requirements of the Russian military), while increasing the diameter of the case and the overall length of the cartridge to ensure that people didn't try to fire the hotter round in a .44 American revolver. Despite the tweaks, .44 remained part of the name, probably for both marketing reasons and to indicate its lineage. The .44 Special was then based on the .44 Russian, and in turn the .44 Magnum was based on the .44 Special, carrying over the popular .44 moniker (which had often been used since before the introduction of any of these cartridges).

hell, I don't even know where .380ACP gets the .380 from.

It's probably because .38 was becoming a well-known name for calibers back then, and Browning had already created the more powerful .38 ACP, so he just added a 0 to make it unique. No deeper explanation is needed or necessarily even exists.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scary people at the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!