Gun Shop Etiquette

PDA

kingdomassassin
June 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Just today I was at the military exchange on base where there is a pretty respectable firearms department. I was chatting with a Gunnery Sergeant friend of mine who moonlights over there in the evenings. As we were BSing about work, etc., I was absentmindedly flipping through a Brownells catalogue which I had sitting, open, directly on top of the portion of the glass countertop which just so happened to be above the (nasty and disgusting:rolleyes:) Taurus selection. A couple of guys came in and without knowing it, I had inadvertently positioned myself and the catalogue right where they wanted to be looking. One of them politely says, "excuse me, Sir, but could we see what's in that case that you're blocking?" I couldn't resist. I replied, "they're Tauruses and I'm doing you a favor." lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Shop Etiquette" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dnaltrop
June 23, 2010, 09:35 PM
Taurus is known far and wide for their Warranty...

Which is good, my old man's Taurus .22 9 shot revolver lost it's timing on it's 4th session ever.

But he can break it forever at their cost!

Nushif
June 23, 2010, 09:40 PM
Oh boy.

speaksoftly
June 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
Haha clever.

Avenger29
June 23, 2010, 09:44 PM
While I do not have a favorable opinion of Taurus, I think that was a bit rude.

kingdomassassin
June 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
@Avenger29...yeah it was a bit rude. But what's a little gun store humor amongst Marines. We all laughed and I moved so they could browse. No biggie.

olderguns
June 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
I don't know if I'd call that Etiquette or just closed-minded, I have had three Taurus no problems, two hi-points no problems, And one Kimber that was crap right out of the box.

kingdomassassin
June 23, 2010, 09:50 PM
@olderguns...then you're a lucky member. Taurus has a certain notoriety about them in these parts. And, well, all over from what I hear.

MMCSRET
June 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
I am the 4th owner of a Taurus 441 in 44 Special. It was passed around among friends until I got it, now it will be buried with me. I've owned and used approx 50 handguns in my life and this is the finest functioning revolver I've ever used and it does get used several times a week. I cast bullets and hand load all the ammo for it. It is as good as my Colt Officers Models from 1941, 1951, and 1961 and a whole lot more durable. I've owned several Tauri and never had a problem.

Two Cold Soakers
June 23, 2010, 11:11 PM
the finest functioning revolver I've ever used ...now it will be buried with me

Now, THAT seems like a selfish waste.

yeti
June 24, 2010, 01:45 AM
You made a joke and moved so they could see? :what:

What were you thinking? You know guns and gun shops are serious business, so serious the thought of fun or even, heaven forbid, goodnatured ribbing should never be allowed around them. :scrutiny: Fun and guns don't mix! :mad:

Beside, it was the Taurus display, so you were doing them a favor. :rolleyes:

postalnut25
June 24, 2010, 01:54 AM
Normally I would say you were a little rude. But, since I am a former Sergeant of Marines, I realize that you were just having a little fun. What Marines say & do with each other should not ever be confused with how a normal society functions. In the Corps, you should only be worried when nobdy is giving you a hard time, because that means they don't like you.

Nushif
June 24, 2010, 03:22 AM
That ... arguably is fact.

But I do have to say the wife's .45 is a pretty damn sweet little gun.

duns
June 24, 2010, 03:35 AM
Due to the context (marines joshing each other?), you may have been OK with your remark but, normally, it would be inappropriate to make disparaging remarks about the merchandise unless specifically asked. I can envisage a situation where I hear another customer say things that indicate they have a false perception of the product; I might in that case give them some discrete advice. I certainly wouldn't disparage a Taurus just because it's a Taurus; it has its place in the market.

Shadow 7D
June 24, 2010, 05:58 AM
It's an exchange
as for the marines, Depends, they are pretty quick to drop rank when in uniform. as for the gun counter guy, most of them are prior service, and have heard it all.

SCTSQRL
June 24, 2010, 06:10 AM
Bro. in SC,

Don't you know, you're supposed to let the salesmen make the rash judgments against brands?

I admit I know nothing about military exchanges, but if the individual behind the counter there is military personnel, didn't you deprive his POG'ness of some serious job satisfaction? I feel for him. :p

Regards from an Oregon AF&AM, don't worry - your GL will find it's missing A someday. :neener:

rattletrap1970
June 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I saw no big deal, he was kidding around. I've heard folks say far worse and got far less for it.

rbernie
June 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
Not much here on The High Road.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Shop Etiquette" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!