Class 2s and AOWs

PDA

Saakee
June 23, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm debating a somewhat unique AR pistol build but I wanted to do it with a Magpul AFG2 (I know some people don't call this a VFG so it might not be considered an AOW build, I'm erring on side of caution as I sound out this idea). If a local class 2 (I know a local black rifle manufacturer and a local gunsmith builds silencers as well but not sure what he is) assembles the weapon and then transfers it to my local gun shop, would I be able to just do the AOW transfer fee or would I still have to pay the 200 dollar AOW build fee?
I'm also planning to use a hammerhead stock adapter and wondered if anyone had ideas on whether this might invalidate it as a pistol build somehow. I plan to contact the ATF with these questions as well when i get closer to the actual build but if someone else on here has relevant info, that would be great.

Specs for the build for those wondering:
AR57 11" upper
Pistol receiver with hammerhead stock adapter on it
Vortex Strikefire with a 21mm ring
CMMG Striker Vortex
AFG2
TLR-2

The goal is a cheaper and what I think is a more interesting PDW than an SBR'ed PS90.

If you enjoyed reading about "Class 2s and AOWs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
June 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
Under federal law, a pistol is a firearm designed for one-handed use.

As far as the AFG goes, would installing it on a pistol make the pistol become a "two handed" firearm?

If so, using an AFG on a pistol requires a tax stamp.

Arkady
June 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
Magpul has requested a ruling from ATF on whether or not the AFG can be used on a pistol, but hasn't yet gotten a decision.

If you enjoyed reading about "Class 2s and AOWs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!