Canada: Minimum rifle barrel length 18"s?

PDA

usmarine0352_2005
June 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
(I am putting this thread here because I started one in Rifle Country with no response and I need an answer relatively quickly. I ordered this rifle today and the barrel should be getting cut and crowned tomorrow or Monday.)

I have called the RCMP and the Canadian Border Association and neither were able to give me solid answers. An official website link would be nice if possible.

I just ordered a Browning X-Bolt .30-06 Synthetic from Ahlman's and am having them cut and crown the barrel at 18.5" because I believe that the minimum rifle barrel length in Canada is 18".

Am I correct, is the minimum rifle barrel length in Canada 18"?

I searched the internet and couldn't find the answer on an official Canadian Website either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada: Minimum rifle barrel length 18"s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snow Dog
June 24, 2010, 02:19 PM
From the RCMP Firearms Program web site (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm)

The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

病 handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less;
病 handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
病 rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
病 rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
病n automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm;
病ny firearm prescribed as prohibited.

So, if you are having your rifle modified then 18 inches is the minimum length. If the rifle is manufactured with a shorter barrel then it is fine. Check the RCMP site for more info. Hope this helps!

CoRoMo
June 24, 2010, 02:22 PM
Not sure if this would be considered an 'official' link.

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/
PROHIBITED FIREARMS, DEVICES, AND WEAPONS

Prohibited firearms, devices, and weapons are:
o full-automatic firearms
o sawed-off rifles or shotguns with barrel length less than 457mm (18 inches); this does not apply to firearms manufactured with short barrels
o sawed-off rifles or shotguns with overall length less than 660mm (26 inches); this does not apply to firearms manufactured with short stocks or short barrels

edit: Snow Dog beat me to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canada: Minimum rifle barrel length 18"s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!