CMP paperwork question

PDA

Uncle Alvah
June 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
So, as I understand it, to purchase a M1 thru CMP, I will fulfill the requirements if I send:

-a copy of my DD214

-Membership in VFW or American Legion proof.

-a copy of my birth certificate(which I don't have handy) OR

any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

What kinds of "official government document" might be suitable in lieu of a birth certificate?

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP paperwork question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yeti
June 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
passport

Uncle Alvah
June 25, 2010, 01:15 PM
Don't have a passport.
I don't understand why "Place of Birth" on my DD 214 is not good enough, but I guess it ain't.....

xsquidgator
June 25, 2010, 01:16 PM
If you were an officer in the military, you could argue that- I believe it is true that you must be a U.S. citizen to be commissioned as an officer.

Tim the student
June 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
I don't understand why "Place of Birth" on my DD 214 is not good enough, but I guess it ain't.....

How do you know it isn't? Did you call them?

jnyork
June 25, 2010, 02:02 PM
Folks at CMP are very nice and very helpful, in my experience. If there is a question, a simple phone call should do the trick for you.

Uncle Alvah
June 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
Did you call them?

Tried twice, but was on hold too a long time, which they warned of right off might happen.

In the end, I'll probably just order a BC online, that I KNOW will work.

Tim the student
June 25, 2010, 02:35 PM

Do what you want, but if they say you can use a DD214 that has your place of birth as proof of citizenship, then you can trust that to work too.

FWIW, I've called them a couple of times, and I don't think ever been on hold more than 10 minutes. I just read the news while I'm waiting.

Enjoy your rifle.

stickhauler
June 26, 2010, 02:35 AM

The rifles sent out by the CMP DO work, their page states that any rifle sold has been assembled and fired before being shipped. But by all means, just order one from some other source instead of complying with the "stringent" criteria the CMP lists that you need to comply with. They didn't just come up with the criteria themselves, it was part of the standards set forth by Congress when the DCM, the earlier version of the CMP was founded.

It's quite easy to get a certified copy of a birth certificate, simply contact the county officials tasked with keeping records in the county where you were born. That's usually the Clerk of Courts, or some variation of that title. Find out the cost, send them a written request for a certified copy of your birth certificate, with the cost of producing the document. Send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for them to send it to you. If you ever decide to get a passport, you'll need to produce a copy of it anyway.

God, I love to see the whining about how damned tough it is to comply with a few easy to do steps to get rifles out of the CMP. Those who choose to whine about it and buy elsewhere give those of us who do follow easy steps a much better selection of rifles, at a lower price, and better quality than they'll get by choosing the open market option.

bigfatdave
June 26, 2010, 06:42 AM
God, I love to see the whining about how damned tough it is to comply with a few easy to do steps to get rifles out of the CMP. Dude, calm down, he's talking about ordering a BIRTH CERTIFICATE that he knows will work TO ORDER FROM THE CMP, not ragging on CMP quality or service.

Uncle Alvah
June 26, 2010, 10:31 AM
he's talking about ordering a BIRTH CERTIFICATE that he knows will work TO ORDER FROM THE CMP, not ragging on CMP quality or service.

Exactly right, thank you Dave.

God, I love to see the whining about how damned tough it is

Well, mistaken or not, since it's something you love, I'm glad I could help you help you out buddy! :)

jcwit
June 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #9 sounds like me when my sugar gets clear out of hand!!

BTW as stated by others the CMP is VERY helpful, I see no problems for you. I'm in No. In. and the northern store is only a couple of hours away, makes it handy as I like to pick and choose.

Good Luck
jcwit

Uncle Alvah
June 26, 2010, 10:59 AM
Well, while the question about suitable proofs of citizenship stands, the point about the use of my DD 214 is moot. I looked last night and, on mine anyway(from 1974) there is no place of birth, just where you went in, and where you got out.

postalnut25
June 26, 2010, 11:11 AM
I had questions for the CMP as well when I ordered my rifles. The wait on hold was ridiculous when I called. 30 minutes plus. But there is an email address given out during the message I heard. I emailed my question in and got a very quick response that answered all my questions. You might want to email instead of call.

stickhauler
June 26, 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #9 sounds like me when my sugar gets clear out of hand!!

That's a very good possibility, I didn't test it right then. I misunderstood the response and reacted badly. It happens, usually to all of us occasionally. My mistake, sorry. But after seeing as many rants about how difficult the CMP is to deal with as I have, sometimes it gets to you.

BADSBSNF81
June 26, 2010, 08:20 PM
DD 1966 - Block 5 - it can serve as proof of citizenship

rondog
June 26, 2010, 09:21 PM
I basically just gathered up everything I could find that identified me as an honest-to-God American citizen, and sent it in. My gun club is a CMP affiliate, which fulfilled that requirement. I know of a gun forum on the internet that is an affiliate, and just joining that forum qualifies you as a member and eligible. www.co-ar15.com

Now, I've never bought a rifle from them (find too many from individuals), but I've bought a lot of ammo from them. They have a great forum to hang out at too.

GRIZ22
June 26, 2010, 09:27 PM
If you were an officer in the military, you could argue that- I believe it is true that you must be a U.S. citizen to be commissioned as an officer.

No argument needed. CMP will accept an Active Duty, Reserves, or Retired commissioned officer's military ID as:

1. Proof of citizenship (must be citizen to be commissioned).
2. Proof of age.
3. Proof of marksmanship training.
4. If active duty or reserves it also proves "club affliation". Not sure about retired.

If you are a commissioned officer, active duty or reserve, your ID card will fulfill all requirements unless your state requires some kind of firearms ID card. Then you'll need that too.

If you have questions phone calls will work but emails to customer service are easier on them.

Sport45
June 26, 2010, 11:56 PM
Or you could sign up on the CMP Forums (http://www.thecmp.org/forums/), go to the "Ask Orest" forum and ask him. He'll let you know if your DD214 will do. A quick search may unearth the answer as well...

rondog
June 27, 2010, 02:50 AM
It's just so hard to beat a telephone and a little patience for quick and accurate answers. Sure, it's a wait, just put 'em on speaker and turn the volume down a little while you wait.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP paperwork question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!