Cops sent us an apology letter

PDA

twoblink
January 22, 2003, 08:04 AM
The cops sent us an apology letter today, apologizing for the fact that they failed to do their job, that was why our house got robbed. :rolleyes:

Always a step short and a minute late; yet they discourage us to protect ourselves and "let the police handle it" and then afterwards, they send an apology letter stating they are useless...:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Cops sent us an apology letter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Viking6
January 22, 2003, 08:17 AM
Was it a form letter? Fill in the blanks?

hammer4nc
January 22, 2003, 08:19 AM
Not so different than here in the USA, maybe a touch more sympathetic. When I was burgled, all I got was a pre-printed postcard with case number and detective's name (presumably if I had cracked the case, for I'm sure no man hours were expended, other than filling out the card).

MacPelto
January 22, 2003, 08:39 AM
OOH OOH OOH!

Can you post it? I'd love to see what it says.

Steve in PA
January 22, 2003, 10:10 AM
That I'd like to see!

Art Eatman
January 22, 2003, 10:10 AM
In the U.S., when you consider the number of burglaries vs. the number of police in any department who are available to work burglaries, it's (to me) understandable that a relatively small amount of effort is put out in one's behalf.

Have you recorded the serial numbers of: Your guns? Your cameras? TVs? Computer equipment? Bicycle?

Do you have photographs of your guns or of any jewelry?

Few burglars leave anything which would identify them. In, grab, out, gone. About all the cops can do is rely on snitches and pawn shops. And so many victims can't really provide adequate ID for the stolen items. Can you?

Art

twoblink
January 22, 2003, 10:12 AM
The letter left the captain's name and number, and said feel free to call if you have questions or comments.

GF just called and WHALED on them. She wrote down every police officer she spoke to that was utterly useless, and the comments like "You do your own investigations!" to the captain.

She just got 3 phone calls, all of whom called because they all just got chewed out by the captain... Guess who's case just got reopened?? Guess who's case is going to have serious man power spent on it?

The squeaky wheel gets the CLP right??:D

It took "getting busted" by the captain to make them do something...

The letter is in chinese, if I have time, I'll translate it and post it..

dev_null
January 22, 2003, 10:27 AM
Friend of mine was on the Navajo rez, and one day he came home to find someone had broken in and stolen his stereo and a bunch of records. He reported it to the tribal police, and waited to hear anything more. And waited. And waited.

About a month later, there was a knock at the door, and there stood a tribal cop. "Oh, good," thinks my friend, "they've found my stuff!"

"So," says the cop, "find out anything?" :eek:

-0-

Not exactly Joe Leaphorn, yanno?

10-Ring
January 22, 2003, 10:44 AM
GF just called and WHALED on them. She wrote down every police officer she spoke to that was utterly useless

Sounds like whop-*** translates into CHinese too! :cuss: Good for you & your GF.

45R
January 22, 2003, 11:34 AM
Ever been chewed out in Chinese.................. :cuss:

I wouldnt want to be on the other end of the phone. For some reason it sounds worst then getting ripped a new one in English.

Good job on the girlfriends part!

I really hope you get this resolved soon.

45R

BerettaNut92
January 22, 2003, 12:06 PM
Man, someone talking to you in Cantonese sounds like you're getting ripped on! We always sound like we're mad at something :D

At least they feel bad about it. :rolleyes:

Sactown
January 22, 2003, 12:35 PM
It's loud...really friggin loud.

rock jock
January 22, 2003, 12:35 PM
twoblink,

We expect that this will prompt you to start a RKBA movement in Taiwan. You might even sell it along the lines of civil defense in the face of the impending Chinese invasion (which is a matter of when, not if).

Seriously, if you do start one, let us know and well get some seed money together for you.

4v50 Gary
January 22, 2003, 01:55 PM
Sumtin about having a woman (any race and can be shorter than 5') pissed at man can really get him to (a) run as far as he can, as fast as he can (probably to the bar) or (b) do her bidding to keep her off his back.

dev_null
January 22, 2003, 02:03 PM
Wonders: "Hmm... does Oleg's ban on adult language extend to Cantonese as well?" :D

-0-

Ron L
January 22, 2003, 02:21 PM
It's a crying shame that you have to put so much pressure on just to get someone else to do their jobs in the first place.

4v50 Gary,
Sumtin about having a woman (any race and can be shorter than 5') pissed at man can really get him to (a) run as far as he can, as fast as he can (probably to the bar) or (b) do her bidding to keep her off his back.

You got that right. I've threatened people with my wife a couple of times. I pity the fool that she gets a hold of. Ten minutes and I think any would-be thief would be "yes dear'ing" her. :D It could start with "How dare you break into my house and walk across my carpeting without wiping your feet?" and go from there. They'd be pleading for the cops to show up and take them away.

4v50 Gary
January 22, 2003, 02:23 PM
Betcha gf chewed out the High Captain in Mandarin. Was told that Taiwanese women really know how to give their men folk the ear. The good captain probably fell into his "submissive spouse" mode (acquired through many years of training) and kow-towed to gf over the phone. :D

Slotback
January 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
While it's not fun having your posterior chewed out by an irate crime victim, I will agree with Art in that it does help the cops a whole lot if you can give them lots of information about stolen property.

I recommend to everyone that one day, you spend several hours writing down the make, model, serial numbers, dollar value, and photograph items for your records. Make several copies, and put one in a safe deposit box. That way you have them in the event you are burglarized or your home burns down, etc.

If you have all of your information on your guns, it stands to reason that you should have that same information for you TV, DVD player, stereo, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cops sent us an apology letter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!