Would you shoot reloads someone else made?

PDA

ArtP
June 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
Let's say these reloads were medium caliber rifle and came from an aquaintence, not a good friend you might trust well. Let's also say the maker stated:

They are loaded at 95% of max load, per reputable book

The powder brand and exact quantity

Provided the book recipe from a trusted source

Provided overall cartridge length, which was set at book spec

The exact bullet & primer

Stated they were full-length sized, not just neck sized

Stated not only was each charge of powder weighed individually (not just metered), but each completed cartridge was also weighed to confirm everything.

The reason I ask is because I have an aquaintence I would like to give a gift to, but want to be reasonably sure he'll use the cartridges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot reloads someone else made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
youngda9
June 26, 2010, 02:19 PM
If everyone here says yes, that has no merit on whether your aquaintence will say yes as well.

Best ask up front so as to not be dissapointed or put them in an aquard situation.

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
Depends on who. I shot someones reloads in his PPK/S and it squibed.

ArtP
June 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
If everyone here says yes, that has no merit on whether your aquaintence will say yes as well.

Best ask up front so as to not be dissapointed or put them in an aquard situation.
I do have enough common sense to know that. Besides, I have a couple boxes of factory reloads for a rifle I no longer own.

It's hard to surprise someone if you ask them upfront.

Would you be willing to humor me?

Zack
June 26, 2010, 02:52 PM
No way. I heard a story a while ago, some guy bought some reloads from some guy. One of the rounds exploded in the barrel, I think to much grain..?

CornCod
June 26, 2010, 03:05 PM
I would shoot them as long as I was assured that they were loaded with standard loads. Everyone seems obsessed with making superhot rounds these days. I have had too many friends with damaged or loosened firearms caused by hot loads.

sonier
June 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
Usually with relaoding if accidents happen there just a few things.
1. there was a low charge and not proper primer to set the charge such as a low charge of H-110 in 357 magnum using standard not magnum small pistol primers, this cause a squib load the bullet never leaves the barrel, this is easly fixed you feel the squib and you punch the bullet out no biggy unless you dont use common sense and fire a second round into the lodged bullet.
2. Your redneck buddy joe loads a really "HOT" round for you to go hunting, when you fire the excessive pressure blows gas through the bolt face and pierces the primer which ruinds th bolt of your gun and you get showered with gas and powder.
3. the only time a barrel will usually explode would be a pistol cartridge with a triple amount of a max load was dumped into it. It is really hard to actually blow up a barrel accidently.

The common reasons for a barrel to explode or split is usually due to the fact of debris in the barrel like lots of dirt and mud. Lots of people shoot handloads for hunting and if this happened it is really easy to blame the handloads, but in truth my 30/06 bolt guns barrel shouldnt explode if i topped the case full of 4320 thats only a few more grains of powder to fill it up, my bolt will get ruined i will get showered with hot powder gases and my stock will prolly split but i bet the barrel isnt going to just explode.

Werewolf
June 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
Unless you know the guy you're getting the reloads from so well that he's willing to share his wife with you and you're willing to share yours with him - then - NO - you don't shoot someone else's reloads.

Winger Ed.
June 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
Its a matter of trust;
sort of like eating someone else's cooking, riding in a airplane, or car that you're not driving.

If I knew the source of who made them, and trusted the person-
I wouln't have a problem with shooting their reloads, the same way my friends confidently shoot mine.
However, the folks that take maximum loads and start working up- I do stay away from their's.

BCCL
June 26, 2010, 04:11 PM
I shoot reloads from 2 local business' that reload ammo for a living and have both done it for 20+ years, and I will shoot them from 1 friend who has reloaded in the past for a business and for himself for 30+, and my brother.

Other than that, no.

Zach S
June 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
I trust reloads from three guys. One moved back to the east side of NC, so I wont be shooting any of his anytime soon. Two are acquaintances from the range (one being the owner).

I may be splitting hairs, but I don't shoot ammo reloaded by a business. There are reasons behind the term "gun show reloads." As far as re-manufactured ammo, I have shot Black Hills, Georgia Arms, and Atlanta Arms. I avoid Atlanta Arms.

Arkansas Paul
June 26, 2010, 05:39 PM
I used to shoot reloads from a local business that was licensed and bonded and did quality work, but that was before I started handloading myself. As far as people go, I can count the guys on one hand that I'd trust their handloads. You just can't be too careful.
I turned down a buy on a Blackhawk .45 because it was included in a package deal with 1200 rounds of handloads. The guy said he wouldn't seperate them because they were tailor made for that gun. I politely declined and looked elsewhere.

wishin
June 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
I buy Ultramax remanufacured .223 and have never had a problem. Very accurate too. On the other hand, I'd need to know an individual and his capabilities pretty well to use his reloads.

2ndAmFan
June 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
I voted no, period, but that is only because the poll doesn't give the option of using the reloader's gun along with his reloads. I've done that a few times, but I don't like the thought of using someone's else's reloads in my own gun anymore. One time hammering a round which apparently had very little powder or nothing but a primer in it out of the bore of a gun is enough for me!
I've also had problems with remanufactured loads so I don't use them anymore, either.

taliv
June 26, 2010, 06:15 PM
the only company i'd buy remanufactured ammo from is black hills.
i would not ever shoot someone else's reloads in one of my guns.
under certain circumstances, i would shoot reloads in someone else's gun (e.g. when Zak let me shoot his AI a couple years ago at the THR get together at the whittington center, or shooting some of the machine guns on the line at knob creek)

i also do not let anyone else shoot my reloads in their guns.

The Lone Haranguer
June 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Commercial reloads from a known good maker only. Even a friend you know and trust to be an experienced reloader can make a mistake. This happened to my brother's gun, which I now have. Some day I will get a camera and show you the pieces. :uhoh:

CHEVELLE427
June 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
FACTORY RELOADS ARE WHAT GOT ME INTO RELOADING 30+ YEARS AGO.:eek:
got a double charge in a store bought 45acp reloads, :fire:
figured i could do a better job and so far i have ,

i also have shot other people reloads but after i pull 10% and check to see they are what they are suppose to be.

would i sell any of my reloads .... NO :what:

i might give some away and let you do as you will with them.:evil:

been reloading for everything i shoot except 22s

dakotasin
June 26, 2010, 09:57 PM
i wouldn't let someone else shoot my handloads because they haven't earned the priviledge of shooting such uniform, accurate loads.

i would have no problem shooting most folks' handloads, and have done so quite a bit.

i would not shoot loads from someone who called them 'reloads' because of the negative connotations that comes w/ that... if someone cares enough about their loading to call it handloading, it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... if they simply call it reloading, i have pictures flash in my mind of hammering bolts open, sending a blackhawk frame back to ruger, etc...

walksbyhimself
June 26, 2010, 10:10 PM
i would not shoot loads from someone who called them 'reloads' because of the negative connotations that comes w/ that... if someone cares enough about their loading to call it handloading, it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... if they simply call it reloading, i have pictures flash in my mind of hammering bolts open, sending a blackhawk frame back to ruger, etc...

That's like refusing to drive with someone because they refer to a 'stick' transmission rather than a 'manual' transmission. It just seems like an arbitrary distinction to me that would have little to no bearing on the actual quality of the ammunition in question.

'Reloads' seems to me to be an accurate term, at least as accurate as 'handloads' for the purpose.

APIT50
June 26, 2010, 11:31 PM
I have shot plenty of reloads from trusted sources but I have even seen ultramax do some bad things at my local range ie. Blown cases pistol and rifle.

Zak Smith
June 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
Even amongst my closest shooting associates, we do not share match reloads for our LR rifles unless we already have data to characterize what works/doesn't work in the different rifles and know everything about the loads in question.

Hatterasguy
June 26, 2010, 11:54 PM
No never, no reloads. Once in awhile I shoot some of my friends but he is OCD about making them.

Its just not worth it, saving a couple cents on some questionable reloads can destory a $2k+ rifle and send me to the hospital.

dakotasin
June 27, 2010, 02:28 AM
It just seems like an arbitrary distinction to me that would have little to no bearing on the actual quality of the ammunition in question.

ehh, maybe... just one of my quirks, i guess.

Tim the student
June 27, 2010, 02:28 AM
Some companies, yes. Others I just don't have enough faith in.

I don't have any close friends that reload. If I did, it would depend on them. I'd want to be extremely comfortable with their process. Even still, its doubtful, but possible I guess.

CHEVELLE427
June 27, 2010, 04:35 AM
got a bunch of reloaded ammo from my late uncle,
he could state what powder and wt for anything he loaded (at one time) then age got him ,
i checked 10% of each caliber but missed some 243 in 90 gr. and almost blew up a good 1971 browning BLR, all the others i checked were right on what was labeled on the box but the 243 stuff was hot as hell, I'm guessing that was close to the last batch after age took over.

Sunray
June 27, 2010, 04:52 AM
"...shoot reloads someone else made..." Absolutely not.
"...business' that reload ammo for a living..." Different thing entirely. Commercial reloaders must be licenced and have liability insurance. Still generic ammo though.
"...would like to give a gift..." Exceptionally decent of you, but give him brass, 1,000 primers, powder or 1,000 bullets(bullets might get seriously expensive though) he uses most. Not reloaded ammo. I'd lean towards primers.

logical
June 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
They are loaded at 95% of max load, per reputable book

The powder brand and exact quantity

Provided the book recipe from a trusted source

Provided overall cartridge length, which was set at book spec

The exact bullet & primer

Stated they were full-length sized, not just neck sized

Stated not only was each charge of powder weighed individually (not just metered), but each completed cartridge was also weighed to confirm everything.

Not exactly a Hallmark Card.

Victor1Echo
June 27, 2010, 09:57 AM
I guess I am a terrible person for suggesting I'd shoot anybodies reloads. I bought reloading equipment that came with several reloaded 45acp, 44sw, 38spc, and 357mag. Most are marked what loads, with the fps, and pressure. They guy I bought from also cast.lubed/ sized his bullets--and he was a doctor. So i sort of trust the rounds. Also, I would shoot any reloaded round that came from a person I knew who had the statistics to go along with it. But I would not just shoot ammo I found at the range.

Smokey Joe
June 27, 2010, 01:10 PM
multiple answers.

I've shot reloads from a commercial reloading company. They have to have a FFL for doing that, and more importantly, have to have insurance, and you can bet they will have been thoroughly vetted by their business insurance company. A commercial reloader is a "known quantity," same as any of the big original manufacturers of ammunition. Sure, "Pete Jones' Reloading Co." could make a mistake, but so could Winchester or Remington or Federal. And Pete Jones has more at stake with each box of ammo, than does a large corporation.

Many years ago (like about 50) when there were far fewer restrictions on firearms and ammunition, I shot reloads from a guy who made a business of reloading, in his garage. He did a major business for a cottage industry, and had a good local reputation. And back then I didn't know any better. I'm sure the GCA of '68 put him out of business. His '06 ammo shot very nice in my sporterized '03A3.

One of the poll questions is about shooting someone else's reloads who is a good friend whom you really trust. I don't have any friends like that who are experienced reloaders, but if I did, I would.

Of course I shoot my own reloads, almost to the exclusion of shooting any other ammo. Nearly no one else shoots my reloads. My son did, back when he was young, under my supervision. I don't hand them out to strangers. I think if a hunting buddy suddenly ran out of cartridges, and needed one more, and I had what he needed as reloads, I'd hand him one, but on second thought, I'd just take the shot myself.

CHEVELLE427
June 27, 2010, 05:17 PM
business' that reload ammo for a living..." Different thing entirely. Commercial reloaders must be licenced and have liability insurance. Still generic ammo though.

this was what i shot 30+ years back Commercial reload, that 45acp felt like my 44 mag had just went off, blew the mag out into my hand as it set off the next round in the mag, lucky there was only 1 left in it. the SF1911-A1 lived company sent me some new mags, back then lawyer was not the first thought as it is today, my gun still works fine same barrel got some new mags and i was good, can imagine what my xd or glock would have looked like if it happen to them

Coolbreeze8804
June 27, 2010, 05:26 PM
How's this for a possible option, (and one that I frequently do myself) Give the fellow a coupon for however many rounds you want to give him. A coupon for him to come over, to your gear, you provide the fixin's, and you walk him through the process of re-loading his own ammo.

He not only gets a handfull of ammo, but he gets a new skill, a look at what it takes to do it right, and you both get a chance to hang out... If he already loads himself, just buy him the finxin's...:D

eatont9999
June 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
I would trust reloads from myself and only one friend of mine. Anyone else's reloads do not go in my guns. I worry about a double charge, not so much on primers, etc. I know a guy who used to just "fill up the case" or use those Lee powder dippers. Well, he had more than one and some more "accidents." I recall someone saying that he was going to solder on a primer to a case. My answer to that is: hold on, let me get my camcorder.

I have been reloading for several years now. All kinds of rifle and pistol calibers too. Thank the lord, but I have never double charged a round so far. My process is to use my powder measure to drop the powder in the case and then it goes right into the press for the bullet to be seated. So I clean, lube, resize/deprime, inspect, prime, powder, seat bullet and lastly crimp. All is done on single stage equipment. The only problems I have had is no powder charge, bad primer or underpowered loads. I would take those over a double charge any day.

I would not be comfortable selling or giving my reloads away for liability purposes. However, I let friends shoot them at the range, so I have to figure that one out.

ArtP
June 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
How's this for a possible option, (and one that I frequently do myself) Give the fellow a coupon for however many rounds you want to give him. A coupon for him to come over, to your gear, you provide the fixin's, and you walk him through the process of re-loading his own ammo.

He not only gets a handfull of ammo, but he gets a new skill, a look at what it takes to do it right, and you both get a chance to hang out... If he already loads himself, just buy him the finxin's...:D
That's an EXCELLENT idea. However, this fellow is in another state.

Smokey Joe
June 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cool Breeze 8804--I've done that too. I have one friend who has ZERO interest in becoming a reloader, or shooting very much, but he did want me to work up a reload for him.

Had him come over and "do it himself" under my direction, on my equipment. He still has no interest in becoming a reloader in his own right, but he thinks I'm a sheer genius, because the load I guesstimated for a starter, shoots accurately in his .30-'06. He & I loaded up 50 rounds I think. Now, 10 years later, he says he's almost out of that 50, and he wants to come over again and make up another set.

No problem here with any of this. HE does the work, HE does the checking of each powder charge. They really are his reloads, not mine. And not everyone is crazy about reloading everything, and shooting nearly as much as I do. And we have a nice visit when he's here.

Have another friend with whom I started the same way, and he went and bought himself a set of reloading equipment. I helped him get it set up in his basement. Again, HE did all the actual loading; I just helped here & there. He's not a high-volume shooter, either, but with him and his wife and older daughter all shooting the same cartridge and load, he figures that reloading is economical for him.

ArtP
June 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
I worry about a double charge, not so much on primers, etc. I know a guy who used to just "fill up the case" or use those Lee powder dippers.

If you hand loaded yourself, you'd know the vast, vast majority of loads fill the case way beyond 50% making a double load impossible. This is a common fear and one I had before I started. I'm speaking of rifle loads in bottle neck cartridges here. In fact every load I've ever made fills way past 50%, but there must be some out there that don't.

I weigh every load by hand, to within a tenth of a grain and none of my loads are at book maximum. Even if I were off a whole grain or two, I'd still be within the safe realm.

In my opinion there are two mistakes that could potentially cause trouble, using the proper charge of the wrong powder or no powder at all. I keep only one canister on the bench for loads I'm working on. The other powders stay on a shelf. I shake each finished load or weigh each finished load. Another potential problem is using weakened or split brass, but the user can check that himself.

If you use common sense, don't push the limits and avoid alcohol and drugs, this is a very safe hobby.

Everyone is psrone to mistakes. The mistake I made and caught was forgetting to prime a case. Charged with seated bullet, but no primer.

Billy Mixon
June 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't. A friend gave me some .30.30 reloads once and told me they were loaded "hot." I kept them til I thought he'd probably forgot about them then threw them away.

MCgunner
June 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
I reload my own. I don't trust anyone else.

FTSESQ
June 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
I voted yes, from a manufacturer...

MCgunner
June 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
If you hand loaded yourself, you'd know the vast, vast majority of loads fill the case way beyond 50% making a double load impossible. This is a common fear and one I had before I started.

You must have never loaded for the .38 special....or .45 Colt. Before trail boss came along, most folks used Bullseye or similar dense powder for .38 wadcutters or standard pressure loads. Hell, a quadruple load is POSSIBLE. And, yeah, I weigh some rifle loads, though I'm using a volume measure much anymore and only weight every 5th round on rifle loads, but I load handguns on progressives. Progressives use a powder measure, just what they do. If something happens, the primer feed screws up, or something like that, things can happen. You gotta be thinkin' to keep the possibility of double charges to zero. If I have a press problem or something like the phone rings to distract me, I just dump cases and start over when I get back to it. I'm careful, Joe Blow might not be. Yes, it happens.

ArtP
June 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
You must have never loaded for the .38 special....or .45 Colt.

You're right, I don't load pistol or revolver rounds, just rifle. Also, I use a single stage press and do everything manually. I did just buy a 44 mag though, I will be loading for that soon. I haven't found it economically sound to reload for 9mm or 45 ACP. I might shoot 300 rounds a year of each. Maybe someday.

I used to use the powder throw and weigh every fourth. But some of my powder is hard to meter accurately, so went to weighing every charge.

CHEVELLE427
June 28, 2010, 12:24 AM

THERE IS A SMALL GUN SHOP HERE THAT DOES JUST ABOUT THIS
he lets you watch him do everything except charge the case and seat the bullet,
you do that, guess he feels that lets him of the hook of something goes ka-boom

Guncollector1982
June 28, 2010, 02:06 AM
my friend i shoot with alot sometimes shoots the same caliber and he always says use some of mine....I never do cause i dont trust his loads exactly. I tend to load moderate loads and use a bigger gun if i want more power... less stress on the gun and more room for margin of error maybe. I dont shoot others loads.

foghornl
June 28, 2010, 10:38 AM
I have shot A LOT of "Commercial reloads" without a hitch...OK

I have shot A FEW reloads from others, but only from folks I know very well.

Mudinyeri
June 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
Most of my target loads are purchased from a licensed reloader. Initially, I only knew him by reputation. He had sold to several other acquaintances. I purchased a small order and shot them based upon the recommendations of the acquaintances who had also purchased from him.

Now, 1000's of rounds later, I can't imagine getting my target loads any other way.

oldbear
June 28, 2010, 01:39 PM
Only from someone I know VERY well, and I'm convinced that the person knows what they are doing. I will only use reloads as range ammo.

raz-0
June 28, 2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't check any of the options offered because I don't agree with any of them.

There's basically 3 types of people in the world when it comes to "would you shoot their reloads" IMO.

First, those you just won't shoot: I don't care if you tell me what the load is, you sound sane, etc. If I haven't personally witnessed a lot of your reloads going down range without bad things happening, I'm not going to shoot them. This is most people's reloads, simply because i don't know them. Then there are people I know who, for example, have 550s, and lots of squibs. That's the next best thing to frequent double charging with a manual index press. So... no, sorry, not even in your gun.

Second, those whose reloads I won't shoot in my guns: For example, one person I know, I'll shoot most of what they make, but not one particular load. That's because he's seriously pushing it to the point where I feel his powder measure is likely to betray him one day on that particular load. The most common member of this group is someone I know who has a good history, but is trying out a new load, powder, cartridge.

Third, are the folks whose reloads I will shoot. They shoot what I deem to be a sane load, and I know they are capable of making a lot of ammo without screwing up the recipe.

kimbernut
June 28, 2010, 02:00 PM
Good guns are occasionally blown up even with new factory ammo.

If anything goes wrong you are opening yourself up for a whole world of hurt whether you screwed up or not. Possibly legally,financially,etc.,etc.,etc. Are you willing to subject your family to that?

NOW, that said. Have I done it? Yes. Will I again? Probably but extremely selectively. Best bet like Smokey says help him manufacture his own on your equipment under your supervision.

warnerwh
June 29, 2010, 12:48 AM
The only person's reloads I'd trust are from my best friend. I trust his reloads as much as my own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot reloads someone else made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!