Remington "Golden Bullet" 22 ammo- unsatisfied!

PDA

evan price
June 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
I bought a box of Remington's "Golden Bullet" 22LR duringthe Obama scare because I was low on plinkers and Federals were not in stock (my usual 22 and I like them).

I shot them up last couple weeks and was amazed by the high level of fail to fire I had. Now that I cast bullets I save the duds and break them down. Remelt the lead, brass in scrap bucket, powder in the tomato garden. Seems better than throwing them away.

There were 92 duds in that one box. That to me is an unacceptable level of failure. Gun was a Ruger Single-Six in good condition, all of them had been restruck at 180 degrees and had two nice, deep firing pin hits. There were MORE than 92 duds, but the 92 are the ones that DID NOT go off when restruck!

Broke them down today when I cleaned the range bag.

69 of them had NO priming compound in the rim. Checked the powder- no pieces mixed in. Just powder.

10 of them had NO priming compound and NO powder. Just a clean, shiny, EMPTY case with a bullet pressed in.

The rest had gaps or thin spots in the priming compound, loose bits of priming compound in the powder, etc.

I don't have the box because I wasn't thinking and used it as a target, so no idea of lot number.

Use your own judgement, but as for me, no more "Golden Bullets" ever again.

I realize NO 22 rimfire is going to be 100%- it's the nature of the beast and even the Federals I like have the occaisional fail to fire, but it's usually one or two in a box of 550, not nearly 20%!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington "Golden Bullet" 22 ammo- unsatisfied!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
You should notify Remington of this, as I'm sure they have had other complaints - I'm sure yours was not the only box loaded from that batch. They should know exactly what you are talking about!

Vern Humphrey
June 26, 2010, 03:07 PM
I will no longer buy Remington ammunition. It's one thing to be frustrated when you have a dud while plinking, and another thing when you have a squirrel in your sights. And another thing again when it's a deer or elk.

Tim L
June 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
That was my experience with Golden Bullets several years ago when I swore to never buy them again. Definitly not worth the trouble or price.

Onward Allusion
June 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
I can relate. I used to shoot Remington Golden too, but I started getting about 3 to 5 duds per box of 50 (FIFTY not 500!!!) using several different guns. I've since given up on Remington Golden and use CCI or Aquila. The higher end - more expensive 22LR loads from Remington seem to be ok, however but Golden sure left a bad taste.

evan price (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=22902)
Remington "Golden Bullet" 22 ammo- unsatisfied!

Rail Driver
June 26, 2010, 03:12 PM
I got a bad box recently too, bullets crimped or seated badly causing feeding issues ( gun previously fed the ammo fine until this box ). Also more than a handful of duds

Col. Plink
June 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
Can echo them seated poorly but generally have better performance than with Federal bulk red box (more FTF's). Remi goldens are more powerful in my estimation.

Robert Wilson
June 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
Remington has a well deserved reputation for unreliable ignition with their rimfire ammunition. In my experience the bulk stuff is the worst but even their more expensive .22 can be poor. I buy a box every few years to see if they have improved. My most recent was a $5 box of 50 Subsonics. Roughly 10% failed to fire. I'll try again in another few years...

az_imuth
June 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Remington's rimfire ammo that I have used was more of a hassle than it was worth. Last time I bought a box of 500 it was just one dud after the next. Unless I'm totally desperate with no other alternative, I'll never buy their .22 ammo again.

Federal bulk works great for me, and finding a dud in one is a RARE event.

Mal H
June 26, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have never had any Remington .22LR ammo that was totally satisfactory. Their .22 Short ammo is just fine. I've never had a FTF with it out of several thousand fired.

This is a shame because their centerfire ammo is usually just fine. I've never understood why their Long Rifle ammo isn't. You'd think they would have fixed the problem years ago.

bannockburn
June 26, 2010, 04:33 PM
I can echo similar problems with Remington rimfire ammo. Way too much time spent clearing all the various problems; at least 4 or 5 per 10 round magazine. They could give me some free and I wouldn't use it. Not worth it.

Zoidberg523
June 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
For me, the worst has been Winchester (sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread). Everything (ammo-wise) that I buy from them seems to be poor quality - all calibers and types, WWB to Super-X.

I bought some 22 magnums, and when I opened them I immediately noticed that all of the brass was filthy. I hesitated to even fire them in my rifle (Marlin 25MN), and when I finally did (ran out of CCI Maxi-mags) about 5 of them (out of 50) were FTF's. Accuracy out of my gun was so-so, but nowhere near great (I know this sort of thing varies by firearm, so take that for what it's worth).

Next, I bought a brick of Super-X 22LR hollowpoints. Same thing again - dirty brass. I loaded my Ruger 10/22 at the range, and fired maybe 5 rounds (from a factory 10 round rotary mag) before I got a FTF. I then spent an hour getting FTF's and stovepipe FTE's (extremely rare with other types of ammo, through my rifle). Then, about five rounds out of the brick were unusable. The bullets themselves (though seated in cases) were deformed - many were almost bent in half, and the copper jackets were torn, exposing the lead core, which was mutilated. I really wish I had my girlfriends camera (I saved them). It looked like two pairs of pliers had bent the bullet in different directions, until the tops were at 45 degree angles to the cases - I don't even know how they got them into the boxes with other bullets.

Not long ago I bought a box of five 3/4 oz 20Ga slugs, and on two of the shells, the brass was scalloped all the way down to the powder charge!!! :what:

Never again will I buy any type of Winchester ammo. Pathetic doesn't even come close to describing them. :cuss:

Tilos
June 26, 2010, 04:35 PM
Pretty much known as junk throughout the shooting world.

it still gets the bargain hunters and those dealing with a shortage though.

Zach S
June 26, 2010, 04:42 PM
I feel your pain. They just take a dump in the box and call it a quality product...

I got some from a good lot though. It was on sale, I didn't know any better, and I got several boxes. Ran as well as the federal bulk (which is between 99 and 100%). Despite reading the many bad reviews, I got more...

I'm slowly getting through those three boxes. I typically load one or two in a mag to practice clearing malfunctions. It works well for that, considering that about 75% of the box actually fires.

Robert Wilson
June 26, 2010, 05:50 PM
You'd think they would have fixed the problem years ago.

I don't quite understand how they are able to continue selling the stuff. I wouldn't think there are enough inexperienced shooters willing to try it out, and I have a hard time believing anyone would keep buying it after the first time. Maybe there are a lot of folks out there who have never tried anything else and assume that a 10% failure rate is just the way things are with .22 LR.

idunit
June 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
I've had good boxes and bad boxes of the Remington Golden. I don't buy much anymore though bc of that. I like Remington's shotgun shells but not the centerfire ammo.

Deltaboy
June 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Center Fire Ammo and Shot gun no issues with Remington. Yellow Jackets no problems, Golden Bullets about 10-25% FTF. Subsonic pretty good but since about 1980 the often cursed Thunderbolts have just plain sucked. I finished a box in a Revolver and still had to dispose of 15 out of 50 in the box.

Zack
June 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
Golden Bullets I think Golden Bullets never had a good rep. I always heard bad things, (stay away from them, buy federal or other brands)

If it was the last thing on the shelfs I would use them, maybe, I do not know... 92 duds out of 500? thats like 1 failure per mazazine.... ?

lions
June 26, 2010, 07:48 PM
...generally have better performance than with Federal bulk red box (more FTF's). Remi goldens are more powerful in my estimation.

I ran both through my chrono a while back. Remington claims 20fps faster than Federal but averaged almost 40fps less. They also had a larger deviation from slowest to fastest shot of 24fps more than Federal. Less powerful, less consistent, and less accurate. I'll stick with Federal for all my plinking needs.

LEVRLOVR
June 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
Bulk, I always buy Federal and avoid Remington for many of the reasons stated here.

Top end, I always go CCI.

rodinal220
June 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Yes,the Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack stuff has been pretty awful.I have had numerous low powder rounds that fail to cycle the action and one case rupture.I have not had any problems with the bulk pack Winchester but I'll gladly pay the extra buck for the Winny.

Ky Larry
June 26, 2010, 08:46 PM
Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com if you really want to hear some Rem ammo bashing. I was recently given some Fed bulk packs and some Rem Golden Bullets that were about 15 years old. They both worked fine. Haven't had a single hiccup yet with either in my T/C .22 Classic. Last time at the range I tried out some Rem Target .22lrs in my CZ 452 Ultra Lux. First 2 five shot groups printed ragged holes at 50 yrds. Next group pulled 2 fliers about 1.5". Fourth group pulled 3 fliers. Fifth group made 1 ragged hole about .4". To be fair, I had put about 500 rnds thru my Ultra Lux that day so it may just need a good cleaning.I tried a bulk pack of new G.B.s purchased this year. They were so dirty, inconsistent, and unreliable I gave them to a man and his son at the range. No more G.B.s for me.Remington should know better.

rondog
June 26, 2010, 09:01 PM
Well, this is nice. I just checked, and I have just under half a .30 cal. ammo can of Remington Golden Bullet .22LR's. Gonna have to relegate them to plinking use only.

2ndAmFan
June 26, 2010, 09:15 PM
My wife has had problems with a box of 525 Remington Golden Bullets she bought as plinkers too. She says she's getting about 10-15% dud rounds, both in a semiauto 10/22 and in an old Winchester bolt action, and feed problems in both guns as well. I checked it out and if anything she is giving a low estimate of the problems.
As LEVRLOVR said, "Top end I always go with CCI." I'm glad I stocked up on Stingers pre-Obama!

berettaprofessor
June 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
Had some...gave them away to an enemy.

WoofersInc
June 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
I have given up on the Golden Bullets from Remington. They always have issues for me. I have used the Remington Subsonics and had no where near the issues as the Goldens. I basically stick to Federal for all my bulk now.

Redneck with a 40
June 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
For 22 ammo, I like the federal bulk packs, they work great, not interested in the match stuff.

As far as .308 ammo goes, I like the Winchester Super X ammo, its very accurate in my rifle, better than Core-Lokt's by a long shot.

JDGray
June 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
Had some duds in my last 550 pack, but for the price, I can live with it. This same junk ammo is the only stuff to reliably cycle a friends Sig Mosquito:eek: CCI minimags wouldn't do it, Winchester Hyper velocity was worse than CCI, good old junk Rem 550 pack runs like a champ:)

Manco
June 27, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'll just jump on top of the pile regarding Remington .22 LR ammo. I stick with CCI for rimfire ammo as much as I can, although there are others that have worked well for me, too.

Never again will I buy any type of Winchester ammo. Pathetic doesn't even come close to describing them. :cuss:

I'm not doubting your experiences, but I use ammo from various manufacturers, and Winchester ammo seems fine and dandy to me. :confused: My current defensive load is from Winchester, and it has never caused a failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject (neither has Winchester White Box, for that matter). That said, I have wondered sometimes, based on what I've heard here and there, whether the ammo distributed to different regions comes from different factories. :scrutiny:

DasFriek
June 27, 2010, 01:03 AM
I bought a box of 525 during the shortage and i wanted to draw faces on them and make bobble heads out of them.
Never again will i buy any Remington rimfire ammo.

jbkebert
June 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
I bought three 100 round boxes last year to give to my son with his Henry frontier .22 he got for his birthday. As a general rule I never buy Remington ammo in any caliber. The CCI mini-mags that we usually shoot were out of stock at the time. Well to make a long story short out of 300 rounds I only recall 2 or maybe 3 failures. Still not a bullet I would normally buy but these seemed to run just fine. I have tried Remington ammo through several centerfire rifles both the cheap core-loks and more expensive premium ammo. None of them grouped worth a darn in 6-7 various rifles in various calibers.

Zoidberg523
June 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
That said, I have wondered sometimes, based on what I've heard here and there, whether the ammo distributed to different regions comes from different factories.

I have wondered this same thing. Sometimes it sure seems like it.

At any rate - if I am hunting with a rimfire, you can bet my mag is full of CCI's.

Edit to Add-

Originally Posted by 2ndAmFan
I'm glad I stocked up on Stingers pre-Obama!

Something I don't know about, or more "Obama's coming for our guns!" tinfoil-hattiness?

hemiram
June 27, 2010, 03:50 AM
I'm really glad I saw this thread, I was about to bite on what I thought was a great deal on 2100 rounds of this stuff. Looks like I will go for one of the other, slightly more expensive deals instead. I don't even have anything to shoot them with anyway. Yet.

22-rimfire
June 27, 2010, 05:51 AM
First, the only Remington ammuntion with issues seem to be 22 rimfire ammunition, not centerfire or shotgun. This topic is discussed fairly frequently over at RimfireCentral forum.

There were so many complaints voiced about Remington Golden Bullets as well as Thunderbolts that Remington shut down their production line in an effort to determine the problem. It was shut down for a week. That is a lot of production that was missed. Anyway, the quality has seemed to improve in new production. The problem is how do you determine new from recent old?? (Lot numbers of course.) The old stuff shoots and works fine.... It appears to be a quality control issue which includes poor spread of primer compound, occasional no powder charge, but the "loose bullets" have been around for a long time and does not appear to affect shootability.

I have still not nailed it down as to when the problems started with GB's. Pre-1990 stuff works great. Mid-1990 stuff appears to be fine..... The production during the 2008 and 2009 years appears to definitely have problems. My guess is it was about the time the paper bulk pack pachaging was started for retailers like Walmart and so forth. It is something that I am still looking into. Does anyone know what Remington started to use the bulk packaging in paper cartons? The older metal cans that you could get around Christmas are fine. That is "bulk" too.

Golden Bullets used to be their high grade line of 22 ammo. Now they are the eco-line along with Thunderbolts. Remington is not talking about it much, but I believe they are trying to fix the problem.

Golden Bullets used to be my preferred ammuniton before I started shooting the better mid to higher level match and standard velocity 22 ammunition. I still shoot Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts in manual operated rifles. I get very irratated using them in semi-auto rifles and pistols. Clearing a jam is not always as easy as just a quick yank to open the bolt.

TonyT
June 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
Remington Golden does have ignition failuires. However, Ihave found a lot depends on the firearm in which it is used. In some semi aoto pistols I have a high rate of ignition failures (ca 10%) while in others it is ca 1%.

Keb
June 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
The REAL SHAME is that this has been going on for at least 5 years and Remington doesn't fix its MFG process or outsourcing.

sxshep
June 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
Saw your thread on ohioccwforums.org, but figured I'd share here

I have never had good results with Remington ammo out of ANY of my .22 rifles or handguns... There are a lot of similar threads on rimfirecentral.com.

I had a weird issue with Remington MATCH ammo last time I shot.... I bought about a dozen different .22 brands and velocities to see what grouped the best. Well when I went to chamber the Remington Match ammo, the OAL of the bullet was too long and too wide to be chambered. It had some sort of wax stuff all around the bullet and it made it too wide to chamber. I was going to wipe all that stuff off of it to smooth it down to size but I got lazy and just threw it back in the ammo can.

Remington is probably my least favorite .22 ammo maker.... my guns like CCI and it's been about 99% reliable.

wally
June 27, 2010, 12:14 PM
Other than their Golden Saber premium handgun ammo, its been a real long time since I've been happy with Remington ammo. Their .22lr is the worst of all.

jbauch357
June 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
So to put a different spin on the thread, what's the general recommendation for decent pinking .22lr ammo?

I used to think CCI mini-mags were a good pick but yesterday I did an accuracy comparison between golden bullets and CCI mini-mags in my 10/22. I was fully expecting the mini-mags to be the superior product, but to my surprise the CCI's grouped about twice as large as the golden bullets. Yes the ignition was more reliable on the CCI's but who cares if the stupid things won't even keep on a pie plate at 100yds.

SeanSw
June 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
Remington Golden bullets were the first .22 cartridges purchased when I picked up a revolver. I was excited and got a few 550 round boxes. A few hundred rounds later I was fed up that my new S&W 617 had so many misfires with the strain screw turned all the way.

I hated them. Gave them to a friend who fed them to his Henry .22, which seemed to eat them like candy, and now I consider it cheap lesson in testing ammunition before stocking up on it.

I'm not particularly happy with the Winchester budget .22 either but I get out shooting so rarely these days that I will tolerate them until my two boxes run out.

Justin
June 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
The Remington bulk .22 is just utter garbage. Avoid it like the plague.

Federal makes bulk packs of .22 that are only a couple of bucks more than the Remington, and have a much lower failure rate. Most of the people around here who run rimfire guns in the local steel challenge matches are using the Federal stuff.

parsimonious_instead
June 27, 2010, 02:03 PM
I've been burning through a 4000-round order of Remington Golden Game .22LR (plated hollow point) for about the last six weeks.
After roughly 1400 rounds, I've maybe experienced 15 failures to fire, maximum.
In about 80% of those cases, a round that didn't fire on my Fake-K (GSG Ak-47 in .22) or Ruger 10/22, fired in my Savage Mark II bolt action.

351 WINCHESTER
June 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
This problem has been going on since I was a kid. I'm 58 now. I used to think duds and weak loads were the norm with .22 ammo as remington was all I could find years ago. When stingers came out in the 70's I was amazed. No missfires, no duds or weak loads. This is something that remington has known about for a very long time and has failed to fix their problem. I believe most of the problem lies in the priming compound, but I really don't care as I haven't bought their ammo since the 70's. Some of the kids bought some not too long ago and they had dud's and weak loads.

Their thunderbolts are junk too.

toivo
June 27, 2010, 02:21 PM
Those things are notorious over at RimfireCentral:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322336

Robert Wilson
June 27, 2010, 03:29 PM
So to put a different spin on the thread, what's the general recommendation for decent pinking .22lr ammo?

I have had fine luck with just about everything. I honestly can't remember shooting any bad .22 that wasn't marked "Remington".

I will say that CCI isn't one of my favorites. I'm a little surprised to see it so highly regarded here. It's always been clean and reliable for me, but I've never owned any guns that shot it very accurately. Even Green Tag has been kind of a letdown.

For competition I have had best results from Fiocchi and Eley.

Buzzard
June 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
Competition: Eley TenEx
Target shooting to Make Money or Embarrass (i.e. bets): Eley Target or Subsonic
General Fodder or Critter Gitter: Federal Bulk, CCI Green Tag/Select, Fiocchi if I can find it. In .22 WMR, Hornady V-Max.

Avoid at All Cost: Remington rimfire (caliber doesn't matter; its all crap) and Winchester .22LR.

Justin
June 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
I got reasonable accuracy on a budget with CCI Standard Velocity back in my Bullseye shooting days. If you can swing the cost, Eley is the way to go.

For stuff that doesn't require pinpoint accuracy, like Steel Challenge, the Federal bulk ammo is great. It runs well in my .22 rifles and pistols.

22-rimfire
June 27, 2010, 06:10 PM
I don't believe I have ever had a misfire (FTF) with any Remington centerfire ammo in my entire life. 270 core lokt is my preferred deer ammunition. Fact is I don't shoot anything else in that rifle and have had it for 20+ years. I don't know what Remington ("caliber doesn matter; it's all crap") you're shooting, but it has always performed well for me.

The 22 ammo has been different. I have not shot much Remington ammo other than Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets and I get about a 5-7 FTF per 100 and that is too high. I don't buy much bulk ammo except to provide for kids to plink with. Don't really care if there are some fail to fire issues as I paid for it and they are getting it for free. :) I probably have 10-15 bulk packs (Some Remington, but primarily Federal 550 packs) lying around that will eventually get shot. No, I don't consider that much 22 ammo.

I'm not particularly a fan of Winchester 22LR ammo, but I haven't shot much of it in the last couple of years. CCI mini-mags are more reliable if that is important to you. I do like Federal 510's for general shooting.

Lakeshore
June 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
Remington is consistently the worst rimfire ammo I shoot, multiple duds in every bulk pack. I pretty much avoid buying it unless nothing else is available.

Remington Arms Co. must be tone deaf. Or maybe they just don't care.

evan price
June 27, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'd heard "Golden Bullets" were problematic, but at the time (Obama scare) I was low on .22s and wanted some. Fool me twice, shame on me. I usually use the 550-round Federal bulk pack. That stuff is tip-top in my book. I keep a few bricks of CCIs in the bunker for bad times.
I've in the past 4 months stocked up my limit at WalMart on Federals, I've got probably 25 bricks of them now.

I was also last year given 5 matchbooks of Thunderbolts. After trying to shoot them, I know why they were given away. They are too large to fit in a 22lr chamber. Bizarre, really, but they are just too thick in the bullet. They fit right in the 22 WMR cylinder of my Single-Six, but I'm not going to shoot them that way and blow out a case.

I've made my mind up- never again buying anything Remington in terms of rimfire ammo. Period, don't care if they give me coupons or free swag. Their 22 rimfire is dead to me.

How the heck can you let ten rounds go out with no primer and powder? Sure rimfire is quick, cheap and negligible in terms of profitability but c'mon.

22-rimfire
June 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
They are too large to fit in a 22lr chamber.

That happens if you have a match chamber on your rifle. It happens with more than Thunderbolts.

It would be quite easy for 10 rounds to be missed when they place the primer compound. There are hundreds of rounds moving through the machine as I understand it.

skoro
June 27, 2010, 11:43 PM
For the past dozen years or so, Remington 22lr ammo has been the world's worst. All the problems you outlined in your original post and several more have been commonplace. Remington has to have known about this for at least 11 years by now, and yet they've obviously done nothing to address this quality problem.

All we as consumers can do is to refuse to purchase this junk. :barf:

Brass Rain
June 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
Federal 550 Round Value pack is the dirtiest ammo I've ever seen, but it's been at least mostly reliable for me. Maybe 1/50 FTF. I haven't used Golden Bullet in a long time, though.

evan price
January 5, 2013, 06:02 PM
I am bumping this so that hopefully people who are trying to stock up realize that companies that rush ammo through production may have an increased failure rate due to haste.
I have not purchased Remington Golden Bullet since this post and never will.

smogmage
January 5, 2013, 06:11 PM
100% agree. I've tried golden bullet in the past and it was bad which turned me off them for quite awhile. They recently marketed them under a "new and improved" box. Since it was all i could find I gave it a shot..... I would honestly say its WORSE than before. Kinda ironic its the only .22 ammo left on the shelf! That says alot about it doesnt it?

Analogkid
January 5, 2013, 06:21 PM
I grabbed a few boxes of the "New Improved" as stated on the box Remington Golden Bullets.

I ran 300 plus through a 22 target pistol I have with no issues. I also ran 5 tubes of them through my Ancient Springfield 22 Semi Auto. Seems to me they have done a little quality control work on them.

almherdfan
January 5, 2013, 06:25 PM
Funny. I used to have a negative attitude about RGB. However, after the the election results, RGB was sometimes all that was available, so I purchased it. It's been great in my Ruger 10/22, SR-22, S&W 22a and Savage MKII. I've had some trouble with Federal Auto Match and Winchester. CCI has been very good.

7.62 Nato
January 5, 2013, 07:30 PM
I got burned on the old stuff. I stocked up with anything but RGB. I'm very happy to have found Blazer to be quite good, and a lot cheaper.

Hacker15E
January 5, 2013, 08:02 PM
The "new, improved" stuff is, actually, significantly improved.

I like it.

MacTech
January 5, 2013, 09:34 PM
I purchased a bulk pack of the improved GB at Wally World, the 225 round bulk box , I was not holding out much hope for them, as I have had horrible results with them in the past (the older 550 round bulk packs)

I have around 60 rounds left over, and so far they've all functioned 100% in multiple guns, a CZ 452 Ultralux and Scout, a Marlin 39A, and an Ithaca 49, all fired on the first strike, no duds, and muzzle report seems consistent, the bullet seems to hit my spinner target with authority as well

IME, the new Goldens do actually appear to be improved, the only issue I can find with this box was a high number of loose/spinnable bullets, out of the 225, roughly 40 had tight bullets that would not spin, or grudgingly spun

Recon Ron
January 5, 2013, 09:43 PM
I guess the only good thing about living in CA is the Remington bulk ammo is always GTG.

1 FTF is the worst I've ever gotten out of a 525 pack.

nathan
January 5, 2013, 11:49 PM
I loved and preferred Rem GB in bulk since i started with my Ruger 5.5 bull pistol. It shoots very well although dirty after a hundred rounds. I shot many small game with it and plinked on paper with tight groups. Right now i have two bulk boxes from Walmart bought two years ago . I havent shot much so i may have to test them again in my pistol and rifles. The one im liking right now are the Winchester Super X HP , Remington Thunderbolt and SUbsonic. They cycle well in my Walther G 22 bullpup, accurate too.

CraigC
January 6, 2013, 12:03 PM
I've been using a good 10,000-20,000rds of the stuff every year for several years. At least a few thousand for at least 25yrs. Not one or two guns but over two dozen guns of different types. I never get more than a couple duds in a 550 or 525rd box. Federal bulk is also good stuff but I have a handful of autos that will not function on it, no matter how clean they are but run fine on Remington. They are also more than acceptably accurate. Worthy of note is that my CZ452 piles them into under a half inch at 50yds.

So leave it on the shelves, more for me. :)

Grassman
January 6, 2013, 12:20 PM
I nearly bought a 1400 rounds tub yesterday, glad I didn't. It was the last .22's on the shelf too by the way.

holdencm9
January 6, 2013, 12:45 PM
The Rem Gold Bullet 22 is the only brand I swore off forever. Even if they are new and improved, the price just isn't worth the risk to me. I'll gladly buy Winchester, Blazer or Federal bulk boxes.

wow6599
January 6, 2013, 12:54 PM
The Rem Gold Bullet 22 is the only brand I swore off forever

Same here.

22-rimfire
January 6, 2013, 12:55 PM
I am always pleased to see all the people who have sworn off GB's. Like Craig, there will be some available when I need them as a result. I still have GB's that are 20+ years old even though I have bought some of the bulk packs in the last couple of years. I treat the old stuff as something that I only shoot when I have a special purpose and they are generally very reliable. You have to understand that GB's used to be premium regular production ammo produced by Remington and the Thunderbolts were something less. I use bulk packs for "family" plinking. I found the "New and Improved" to be exactly that as compared to recent pre-new & improved production.

11c2v
January 6, 2013, 01:23 PM
My S&W22A and Savage MII hate the stuff.
Good for IA drills though.:D

January 6, 2013, 02:25 PM
I have not purchased Remington Golden Bullet since this post and never will.

That's your loss then and I think you're doing a disservice to members here. Your experience was in 2010 and yet Remington improved GB drastically in 2011 to the extent that misfires were reduced to such a low rate of occurrence that if you have a misfire you should take a good look at your pistol or rifle. I have more than 10,000 GBs made in 2011 and have shot a bunch without a single misfire, not something I can claim for the CCI that I have.

JFrame
January 6, 2013, 04:39 PM
I have been burning up the Remington bulk ammo in a T/C Contender that will eat up anything with a ".22" designation that is not a magnum... :D

But for any other platform, I prefer the quality and form factor of the Federal bulk ammo, as bulk ammo goes...

goldie
January 6, 2013, 04:45 PM
Its not the greatest ammo, i got lots of duds with them,i still have 1500 rounds, when they are gone, i wont buy it any more....

evan price
January 7, 2013, 05:09 AM
That's your loss then and I think you're doing a disservice to members here. Your experience was in 2010 and yet Remington improved GB drastically in 2011 to the extent that misfires were reduced to such a low rate of occurrence that if you have a misfire you should take a good look at your pistol or rifle. I have more than 10,000 GBs made in 2011 and have shot a bunch without a single misfire, not something I can claim for the CCI that I have.

Oddly, CCI Blazer 22s have never given me more than one misfire in a bulk box. Federal bulk packs have a few. The Winchester Xperts didn't have one dud in the two boxes I shot recently.

Remington may be new and improved and better, true. I don't see the need to take the chance when I stocked up on Federal and CCI after that fiasco.

I bumped this post for the express reason to warn people again that when the ammo companies rush to fill depleted supply lines there may very well be problems again.

Other than the RGB problems I had, I saw a lot of people who had problems with other ammo- WWB with flipped primers, Blazer with sideways primers and scraped bullets, Tula with missing primers, Federals with brass pinched under the bullet, Winchesters with bad brass...etc.

WHen the factories are pushing to get out product as fast as possible more defects can slip through. I would be cautious about restocking an ammo hoard with ammo produced during a mad rush.

CraigC
January 7, 2013, 12:16 PM
when the ammo companies rush to fill depleted supply lines there may very well be problems again.
Got any evidence that this is going on??? No, because there is none. There is no reason for them to ramp up production for a temporary situation. They don't produce ammo any faster because panic buyers are doing their thing.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy with a Ruger MK-series deriding Thunderbolts. Complaining that they leaded his bore terribly. Some ignorant comments about bullet lube throw in. He warned everybody to never use Remington ammo. I was surprised because I had used a lot of the stuff in the past. So I went to the local CO-OP and bought a few boxes. Took them home, ran 300rds through my own 22/45 as fast as I could. There was not a single malfunction and the bore was not leaded. The moral of this story is, don't believe all the crap you read on the internet. A lot of people are just repeating what they've heard. Every rimfire is a law unto itself. My advice would be to try everything you can to find what yours likes. It might tell you it likes GB's.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 7, 2013, 12:35 PM
I switched to CCI Blazers a few years ago, because of the same issue. I was lucky, I bought 5000 rounds the day before ammo went through the roof. While I can go through this in 1.5-2 months, I have been trying not to go through as many until supply catches up to demand.

January 7, 2013, 01:36 PM
Got any evidence that this is going on??? No, because there is none. There is no reason for them to ramp up production for a temporary situation. They don't produce ammo any faster because panic buyers are doing their thing.

Exactly!! When you're running at capacity there's no where to go and quality standards have to be met regardless of supply and demand. If the product isn't good enough it doesn't leave the plant. Some bad product will get through but there's no way that the QC folks will start looking the other way just to meet demand ... ain't gonna happen!!

Jim NE
January 7, 2013, 01:55 PM
I've not purchased any Golden Bullet. That name makes it sound like a firecracker from China :) Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

That's a shame. I recently shot up some Remington HV .22's that were 25 years old, and they all worked great. Quality has slipped, it seems.

Master Blaster
January 7, 2013, 02:01 PM
Remington Bulk pack/ golden bullets is junk and it has been for years, duds, inconsistant, report is different from round to round indicating inconsistant powder charges if it even fires. Stay away from remington bulk products. The High end remmington is not made by them. It is made by Eley and relabeled, but says made by Eley, Birmingham England if you look at it closely.

Federal makes the best Bulk pack ammo, CCI is also good. A good usually availible type is CCI Standard velocity, reliable and pretty accurate for about $25-30 a brick.

CraigC
January 7, 2013, 03:39 PM
Remington Bulk pack/ golden bullets is junk and it has been for years....
Yep, that's why I burn through tens of thousands of rounds of the stuff every year. :rolleyes:

twofifty
January 7, 2013, 03:40 PM
Why a well established brand would put out poor quality ammo like the Golden Bullet is a mystery to me.

nathan
January 8, 2013, 12:52 PM
I just came from nearby Walmart. I bought a box of 100 rds Remington .22 LR target for $6. It s been many many years that i havent tried them but it seems was hard to resist. They also have Remington Golden Bullet 225 rds bulk for $10 . It has the improved label. I didnt bother to buy it. Now they got little 50 rd Remington Golden Bullet costing $3.19 much more than the cost of the Target . They got plenty of those , so nobodys interested to buy em.All the rest were .380s, .357s , .30 30s , 243, 270, 3006 , 7WM, 300 Wm ,etc.

1KPerDay
January 8, 2013, 04:07 PM
The "new, improved" stuff is, actually, significantly improved.

I like it.
Meaning, they actually put priming compound in them! :)

MostlySurly
January 8, 2013, 06:18 PM
Glad I read this whole thread. Didn't realize the date on the original discussion.

I stocked up pretty heavy on goldens back in the mid-90s because my 10/22 shot it so vastly better than ANYthing I put through the gun. Eley, Aguila, CCI, tried a bunch. I saved the GB's for anything requiring accuracy with that rifle. FTF has been almost non-existant.
Went through countless boxes of other brand bulk, as plinkers, in the mean time. And I've got a couple other 22lr that like some of the higher end rounds better.

I was really disappointed to read the first few pages of posts dissing the GB, until I continued to read...

For those who swore it off forever, why not give the "new and improved" a chance? It sounds like Remmington has done something positive, and if so, should be rewarded with our business, rather than still getting bashed on the internet. If it's not really improved, don't buy it any more. But if you haven't tried it, how would you know? Yeah, it won't matter to some.

BTW, I haven't tried the "tweener" bad stuff or the new stuff 'cause I'm still working on the stash of old stuff.

rugerman07
January 8, 2013, 07:06 PM
I quit buying Remington 22/LR Golden Bullet Bulk Paks a longtime ago. They're dirty junk rounds, lots of misfires and jams in my Ruger 10/22 and Mark II. I've wondered if these rounds failed to pass Remington's quality control and wound up on the floor as floor sweepings. With ammo prices as high as they are now, I wouldn't pay $10.00 for a 550 Bulk Pak of Golden Bullets.

762gunr
January 8, 2013, 07:43 PM
Can echo them seated poorly but generally have better performance than with Federal bulk red box (more FTF's). Remi goldens are more powerful in my estimation.
What? I shoot Federal 745 almost exclusively. Out of my 10/22's and a high standard the last 5,000 rounds have yielded less than 50 duds. Remington on the other hand is notoriously bad.
Remington rimfire was so bad back in the day you could hear the difference between each round......and that's if it fired.

Analogkid
January 8, 2013, 07:53 PM
Then you are all missing out.. They apparently have changed these and they run in the most picky of my guns including my Saturday night specials. I have ran through a few boxes so far in the last 2 weeks.

DeadFlies
January 8, 2013, 08:08 PM
I've had only two duds in the last 2200 rounds (4 550 count boxes) of RGBs that I've run through my Neos. Maybe I'm just really lucky but I've never had a problem with them. Of course, that only amounts to about 5000 rounds, so take it FWIW.

itchy1
January 8, 2013, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately, Rem Golden is all that is available in my area. Glad I stocked up on Blazer when it was plentiful. I would rather not shoot than settle for that crap.

Bobson
January 8, 2013, 08:52 PM
I bought a brick of RGB around a month ago and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Zero failures to fire, feed, or eject in about 250 rounds so far; nor did my rifle seem to be excessively dirty afterward. Accuracy was perfectly acceptable. I prefer CCI Stingers, but the RGB was just fine. I'm sure I'll buy it again.

TheCracker
January 8, 2013, 09:00 PM
I've shot a bunch of RGB and by and far they are great. Federals are jam city in my mark iii, rems are "golden".

In my 10/22 they both function great but the rems shoot 1" @50, federals shoot 2-3"@ 50. As a matter of fact this was just last week.

So I say all you guys keep bashing them. That way I might actually be able to get another couple boxes at Walmart.

mf-dif
January 8, 2013, 09:06 PM
The "new and improved" label golden bullets work great for me too. 325 for $10...I had to try it and blew through the box with no hiccups. Used it in my GSG 1911 and CMMG AR bolt conversion.

vamo
January 8, 2013, 09:10 PM
It's been about a year since I bought it but I haven't had any problems to speak of with golden bullet. Seems to feed a lot better than Winchester white box, and don't recall any duds now that I am about 70% through my current box of 550. I have had some misfeeds, but I blame that on the cheap aftermarket magazine I sometimes use.

StrutStopper
January 8, 2013, 09:34 PM
Stopped by Wally World today. There were no .22 LRs on the shelves at all, except for Remington Golden Bullets. It looked like they were fully stocked, not a box missing from the neatly stacked rows. I didn't bother to buy any.

22-rimfire
January 8, 2013, 10:31 PM
Remington rimfire was so bad back in the day you could hear the difference between each round......and that's if it fired.

What "day" was that? The new and improved are actually much more reliable than the bulk packs in the last 5 years.

ole farmerbuck
January 8, 2013, 10:49 PM
You guys are making me feel bad. I bought a bunch of them along with a bunch of ,well, a bunch of brands. We've shot a lot of the goldens with no trouble at all. Seem pretty accurate and hit pretty hard. hmmm :confused:

762gunr
January 8, 2013, 11:05 PM
What "day" was that? The new and improved are actually much more reliable than the bulk packs in the last 5 years.
10-15 years ago.

Bobson
January 8, 2013, 11:50 PM
You guys are making me feel bad. I bought a bunch of them along with a bunch of ,well, a bunch of brands. We've shot a lot of the goldens with no trouble at all. Seem pretty accurate and hit pretty hard. hmmm :confused:
Don't feel bad for not buying into a mob mentality. You've tried it for yourself and found it to be at least decent quality. I had the same experience, and so have others. Continue to use a product that works for you, until it no longer functions as it should.

DeadFlies
January 9, 2013, 08:10 AM
Don't feel bad for not buying into a mob mentality. You've tried it for yourself and found it to be at least decent quality. I had the same experience, and so have others. Continue to use a product that works for you, until it no longer functions as it should.

Word.

I actually prefer RGBs to anything else of a similar price. Maybe the cool kids will laugh at me for liking an unfashionable brand of ammo but I don't care. More for me.

Though I DID buy a box of Federals the other day because they were $3/box cheaper than the RGBs on the shelf next to them.

Guy de Loimbard
January 9, 2013, 09:18 AM
I was a range officer at a small indoor range for a couple of years. The range normally only bought Federal to sell to the club members because that was what we had the best luck with in the range-owned pistols. When Federal wasn't available and we had no choice but to buy something else, it usually got labelled (Winchester Super-X became Winchester Super-Jam, Remington "Golden Bullet" became Remington "Golden Turd") by the club members and we would get asked all the time when we were going to switch back to Federal.

shaggy430
January 9, 2013, 09:19 AM
The Remington Golden Bullets are universally known as junk. I can't believe they still make them.

22-rimfire
January 9, 2013, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Me

762 said... 10-15 years ago.

Been trying to nail down when exactly Remington quality control seemed to go down hill and 1995 (more or less) or simply "mid-1990's" seems to be about right. I know by 2005 they you were getting 5-6 duds and sometimes a few more per bulk pack on average or about 1-1.5%. But that was 10 years later.... The problem of course is the ammunition you buy is not dated and in order to determine manufacture date, you have to use lot numbers and that takes effort.

2005 is about when I shifted to buying Federal and CCI as my dominant choice for plinking. But the new & improved are actually better. You even get FTF's with Federals now and seldom did "10-15 years ago". So, the quality issue is common with promotional ammo.

The one thing I did discover about Remington GB's was that they tended to be a little more accurate for HV. But, 22's are finicky, so you have to test your firearm with different ammo and see which does best (cost vs performance) if you are interested. Everyone knows that the more expensive stuff does tend to shoot more consistantly. Give the "new & improved" a try.

One thing about FTF's.... a lot of the time it is your gun that is the problem. But there are some that don't have the primer adequately spread around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington "Golden Bullet" 22 ammo- unsatisfied!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!