Removable box magazine for Winchester 70?

PDA

BrokenPaw
December 4, 2003, 12:20 PM
I have a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. I love the gun, except for one thing: unloading it is a pain. There are two basic options for unloading it, AFAICT: cycle the bolt and extract each round individually (which is non-optimal), or open the hinged floorplate, whereupon the remaining rounds leap out of the gun and hide under any available cover (which goes beyond 'non-optimal' and straight into 'pessimal').

Is it possible to modify such a critter to take a detachable box magazine, so that unloading is as straighforward as with any other removable-mag gun?

-BP

If you enjoyed reading about "Removable box magazine for Winchester 70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
December 4, 2003, 01:30 PM
The only removable mag conversion that I know of is a trip back to Winchester and they will do it only if the rifle is a full sized gun, they would not do my Classic Compact but would do a Classic. Pricey

There are a few for Remington in Brownells but not for Win.

BrokenPaw
December 4, 2003, 04:18 PM
Perfessr,

Ok. Thank you for the info. That's...well, unfortunate. :(

-BP

Andrew Wyatt
December 4, 2003, 04:19 PM
do what i do.

flip the gun over into its back. open the floorplate. move it out of the way.

put hand over opening to catch rounds. invert gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removable box magazine for Winchester 70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!