Can I now own as many guns as I want?

PDA

Yoda
June 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
A liberal co-worker made all the regular arguments against today's SCOTUS decision, plus the "fallacy" of basing any decision on "modern" rights on something written "during the civil war."

Then she scolded me for thinking I can now own as many guns as I want.

"Of course I can't own as many guns as I want," I told her. "I don't have enough money or storage space!"

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I now own as many guns as I want?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
leadcounsel
June 28, 2010, 10:23 PM
1 gun per month is a good goal! I need over 400 to meet my goal!

danprkr
June 28, 2010, 10:23 PM
I like it. What did she say to that?

Yoda
June 28, 2010, 10:30 PM
She rolled her eyes, like i was some uneducated hick.

She explained that she didn't want to live in a world where she thought she needed a gun, but if she was afraid, she'd install alarms and lights.

I told her she could do whatever she wanted, but she had no right to stop me from adopting my own solution.

I also explained to her that "Girls with guns are hot." She didn't understand, so i explained it to her: Girls with guns have a look of confidence and self-assurance that just appeals to me. Rather than having decided in advance that she'd meet a threat with fear and passivity, girls with guns have decided to take responsibility for their own lives.

I then explained how the police have no obligation... (you know the rest), but she didn't believe me. Must be an urban legend.

Ah, well... She can elect to be a victim. I am SO glad that my wonderful new wife and all her daughters, and my own daughter, and my 8-month pregnant daughter-in-law all either have their CCWs, or live in states where they don't need one, or have invited me to come over and conduct the training so they and their friends can get one.

- - - Yoda

MudPuppy
June 28, 2010, 10:34 PM
My father-in-law sent me the email about the guy that posted a sign in his front yard--"my neighbor is anti-gun. Out of respect to him, I promise not to use my guns to protect him or his property" and a big red arrow pointing to the victi...neighbor's house.

I hate people that just want to sit back and let someone else take care of them, like they're a pet pot-bellied pig or a heifer in a pen.

danprkr
June 28, 2010, 10:55 PM
She explained that she didn't want to live in a world where she thought she needed a gun, but if she was afraid, she'd install alarms and lights.

You might tell her that no one WANTS to live in a world where they need a gun to defend themselves. But, some of us accept that what we WANT matters not at all to the reality of the world we live in. :banghead:

BTW mudpuppy, I'm sure you know that the sign in that email is photo shopped, most likely an urban myth, and funny as all get out. :D

WinchesterAA
June 28, 2010, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have a link to what the SCOTUS was ruling on? I didn't even know they were discussing it.

Guncollector1982
June 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
Course with the way the govt is a criminal will shoot some one like that then theyd scream we need more gun control !!

danez71
June 28, 2010, 11:16 PM
Does anyone have a link to what the SCOTUS was ruling on? I didn't even know they were discussing it.

(said in jest) Push rock up and crawl from underneath....

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

Its 214 pages but the first 6 pgs is the syllabus.

WinchesterAA
June 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thank you, sir.

Carter
June 28, 2010, 11:24 PM
My father-in-law sent me the email about the guy that posted a sign in his front yard--"my neighbor is anti-gun. Out of respect to him, I promise not to use my guns to protect him or his property" and a big red arrow pointing to the victi...neighbor's house.

I want that sign...

killchain
June 28, 2010, 11:26 PM
Isn't it funny how an anti-gun, when proven wrong, uses a personal attack?

I was told that I should die of cancer by an anti-gun once.

June 28, 2010, 11:29 PM
Typical sheeple mentality.

RevDerb
June 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
She may not want to live in a world where guns are needed but she already does. And if she prefers alarms, lights, and locks she simply makes herself a prisoner in her own home. But you know as well as I do, that you may as well give it up with her. :(

atomd
June 28, 2010, 11:33 PM
basing any decision on "modern" rights on something written "during the civil war."

Since when do rights expire? I love these "living breathing constitution" people. Perfect examples of the wishy washy society of today. I'd like to know what exactly they do stand for. What have they believed in all their lives? They have no backbone, no values, and nothing to stand behind that's thicker than the last Chomsky book they've read or the last pamphlet on "climate change" they were handed at a peace festival. Maybe next year she'll be into the next latest fad and leave the 2nd amendment alone so she can attack another one of our constitutional rights instead. :fire:

OK, I feel better now.

Dokkalfar
June 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
I like it Yoda. Unfortunately, I have the same problem as you :/

strambo
June 28, 2010, 11:46 PM
She explained that she didn't want to live in a world where she thought she needed a gun,... Neither do I, welcome to reality. I guess her solution to not living in a world where she "thinks" she needs a gun...is not to think! Hardly a novel idea...about 90% of the population (I'm probably being generous) adopt Ostrich personal protection strategies.

deadin
June 29, 2010, 12:06 AM
on something written "during the civil war."

Really knows her history doesn't she.:barf:
(Or is she a Brit that considers the Revolutionary War as a "civil war"?
That might explain her attitude.)

PerArdua
June 29, 2010, 12:23 AM
"I hate people that just want to sit back and let someone else take care of them, like they're a pet pot-bellied pig or a heifer in a pen. "

Well, as far as waiting for someone else to take care of them, what do you say to you being taken care of the military right now from them nasty terrorists abroad? What about the fire brigade looking after you in case your property burns? Straw man exaggerations do go overboard a lot in this forum.

PerArdua
June 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
Sheeple? People in glass houses... I bet you pay taxes, observe speed limits when cops are around, only use your gun (if ever) if life-threatened, eat at restaurant chains, have insurance for your car, work for a living, invest in 401k, watch TV, clean and oil your gun after use... just like most of everybody else... Sheeple indeed...

PerArdua
June 29, 2010, 12:31 AM
This is becoming a bashing thread, I thought THR was better than this... always funny when people who claim to believe in freedom and liberty are not able to extend the same principles to those they disagree with...

Dnaltrop
June 29, 2010, 12:53 AM
I have a mechanic who is a very Peaceable fellow, once when the conversation turned to firearms, he exclaimed that he really did not see how someone could have a legitimate use for a Handgun.

I asked him how many times someone has tracked his wife down to his house because of her job.

He then said that I had a VERY good reason to have a handgun and have given him something to think about.

Sometimes you just have to give the other person the right pair of your shoes to walk a mile in to get a real dialog going.

Lucky Derby
June 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
Well technically the American Revolution, AKA The Revolutionary War, was a civil war. It, however, is not what we generally refer to as The Civil War.

Highcaliber
June 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
There are those who have the Right to be stupid and we can see PerArdua is overly eager to exercise that right.

It would be better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.

:barf:

Kentucky_Rifleman
June 29, 2010, 01:04 AM
She explained that she didn't want to live in a world where she thought she needed a gun,

If she has children, she is not only refusing to be responsible for her own safety, but she is also refusing to stand up and take responsibility for the safety of her children.

Well, as far as waiting for someone else to take care of them, what do you say to you being taken care of the military right now from them nasty terrorists abroad? What about the fire brigade looking after you in case your property burns? Straw man exaggerations do go overboard a lot in this forum.

Perardua, I notice you're new here. Perhaps Mudpuppy served in the armed forces. Perhaps he owns a fire extinguisher. Most folks here try to be prepared for several situations (not just violent ones).

Also, guns aren't just about preparedness. Chances are most of us will live out our lives without having to shoot a fellow human. I love guns for lots of reasons beyond self-defense; I like to target shoot, hunt, collect, customize, and reload among other things. Today's SCOTUS decision is focused on the infringement of our constitutional rights by local governments.

I agree with the decision. Chicago (or any other state, city, or municipality) has no business whatsoever telling citizens what guns they may and may not own. This kind of gun control (banning) violates the second amendment.

The guys who put our constitution together were pretty bright.

I sure don't see their like when I look at today's politicians.

KR

Jorg Nysgerrig
June 29, 2010, 01:15 AM
This one is going downhill, particularly with the personal attacks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I now own as many guns as I want?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!