Colt SAA .44-40 deal

PDA

vanfunk
June 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hello Gents:

I've had an on/off love affair with the Colt SAA for years. Tonight, I've been offered a 3rd Gen. 7.5" SAA in .44-40 in 95% condition for $900. Should I buy it? I know little about the .44-40 round, having only previously owned .45 Colt examples. For a non-reloader (yes, I know, I know), is it a good round? I am not a CASS shooter, just a recreational shooter/collector. What do you think? Oh, the seller also has a New Frontier .44 Special 5.5" I can get for the same price - worth it? Lemme know your thoughs fast, as I need to let him know tomorrow morning. Thanks!!!

vanfunk

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SAA .44-40 deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
June 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
If you're interested in shooting, be aware that over-the-counter .44-40 comes dear. Before you buy either of them or decide to handload, check out what the various cartridges/ammunition cost. On that basis, I would pick the .44 Special, and all other things being equal, a New Frontier is worth more then a regular SAA because much fewer were made.

Jim Watson
June 29, 2010, 12:08 AM
The New Frontier has the disadvantage that the adjustable sights throw it into SASS Modern. But if you don't shoot SASS, that becomes an advantage. I like to be able to make a gun shoot where it looks.

Me? I have a .44 Special with extra .44-40 cylinder to match my Winchester and my Colt clone.

You will cry when you see the price of factory loads in either caliber. Get a .38.

rmfnla
June 29, 2010, 02:02 PM
If you like the gun you could get the .44-40 and try to find a .44 special cylinder to go with it.

I personally prefer the 5-1/2" barrel but I don't like the New Frontier, so I'd walk away from the whole thing.

$900 isn't a bad price but it's too much to spend on something you don't really like.

CraigC
June 29, 2010, 02:03 PM
Firstly, the New Frontier is a much better deal if it's a 3rd generation and condition is comparable. If it's a 2nd generation gun it's a steal!!!!!!! They made very few 4" or 5" New Frontiers and the .44Spl is a wonderful cartridge. The SAA is a fair deal but keep in mind that new Colt's are WAAAAY better than older 3rd generation guns and can be had for around $1100.

Factory loads for neither are what I'd call affordable but .44-40 is typically much more expensive than .44Spl and .45Colt. Either presents a good case for handloading.

Red Cent
June 29, 2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Colt-New-Frontier-SAA-44-Special.cfm?gun_id=100123330

vanfunk
June 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks All!

I think I'm going to pass on both, but I may take another look at that New Frontier to make sure it isn't a 2nd gen...

Thanks again,

vanfunk

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SAA .44-40 deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!