Is this a good deal on issue plate carrier and helmet?

PDA

ZombiesAhead
June 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
A friend is offering to sell some issue military gear from deployments in Iraq as an Army infantry medic in 2004-2006. He is asking $250 for the following:

1. Digital desert camo helmet with attachment point for NVG, etc.

2. Digital desert camo vest/plate carrier (with no plates), with neck protection, without groin protection, (the one with quick release to take it off quickly). I think it is the "outer tactical vest" for the interceptor armor system.

Is this a good deal? Does the vest offer any ballistic protection without plates?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good deal on issue plate carrier and helmet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
June 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
If I needed ballistic protection (security work, executive protection, etc.) My employer would be furnishing armor on their dime.

If I didn't "need" armor and just wanted some, the protection would be secondary to the price.

What factors are most important to you?

Madcap_Magician
June 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
I also wonder what your friend is doing selling issued equipment.

ZombiesAhead
June 29, 2010, 10:48 AM
I don't "need" this stuff at all. I can't find prices on the net and for all I know it could be worth $10 or $10,000.

The question is whether this is a fair market price for this gear. If it's way low, I'll jump at it. If it's average or high, I probably will pass.

armoredman
June 29, 2010, 10:49 AM
Vest cover without inserts is worthless. Also, if this is issued equipment that he failed to return, bad juju, IIRC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good deal on issue plate carrier and helmet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!