One piece cleaning rods by mail order?

PDA

emilianoksa
June 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
You just can't buy them here, so I'll have to get one from the States.

How well packaged are they when you recieve them by mail order? Are they mailed in a stiff tube or just a box?

The last thing I want is to get a damaged one.

How easy is it for parcel handlers or postmen to bend them in transit?

Are some materials less likely to be damaged than others. How does carbon fiber bear up compared to steel?

Would appreciate your advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "One piece cleaning rods by mail order?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hatterasguy
June 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just got two new Dewey rods in the mail today. One was a 36in .27 cal and a .30in .20 cal.

I sprung for the extra $3 to have them put in nice plastic tubes, and since Dewey is a first rate company they put them in a long box wrapped in newspaper.

Shipping was $8.

Winger Ed.
June 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
I got a extra long .50cal. rod direct from Dewey, and it got here fine.
I don't know what it'd cost, but as nice & pleasaqnt to deal with as they are:
You might call them and ask if it'd be OK to ship them a piece of 2" dia. or so PVC pipe with rubber caps.
They could mail your rod back to ya in it.

WNTFW
June 30, 2010, 07:26 PM
I have Dewey. My friends have Tiptons. My next rod will probably a Tipton. No problem on the Dewey, but none on the Tipton either for less money.

I think a Carbon Fiber rod would be less likely to get bent. I'd say it is a toss up as to which one would be more likely to damage a bore. The coating on the Dewey is pretty smooth and hard, not likely to have something get embedded in it.

Hatterasguy
June 30, 2010, 08:10 PM
The only rifle that ever chewed up the coating on my Dewey is my 10/22. You have to clean from the muzzle and it has a very sharp crown.

If your cleaning a 10/22 don't get a .20 cal rod its to tight, get a .17.

emilianoksa
June 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks a lot.

slabuda
June 30, 2010, 08:32 PM
I ordered from MIDWAYUSA and they came in a very heavy cardboard tube.

Mal H
June 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
How easy is it for parcel handlers or postmen to bend them in transit?I've had several Dewey's shipped to me. The heavy cardboard tubes would be very hard to bend. I'm sure they could run over them and ruin them if they wanted to, but normal postal workers won't damage them.

The only rifle that ever chewed up the coating on my Dewey is my 10/22. You have to clean from the muzzle and it has a very sharp crown.I don't recall where I saw the tip, but someone suggested drilling a 1/4" hole in line with the bore in the rear of the 10/22 action to facilitate cleaning on 10/22's when you don't want to bugger up a target crown. I braved it and did just that. It worked fine, just be sure to use a center punch so the drill won't wander on the slanted back of the housing. The hole in the action housing is hidden by the stock when mounted in it.

Mal H
June 30, 2010, 10:58 PM
What might be true?

makarovnik
July 1, 2010, 02:53 AM
They should ship in super tough laminated paper (not cardboard) tubes. We used to use these to ship posters and other non fold-able goods to our customers.

loadedround
July 1, 2010, 07:14 AM
I have bought several one piece cleaning rods from Brownells, and they also ship in heavy cardboard tubes. They just charge their normal shipping fee and nothing additional for the shipping tube. Brownell's is an excellent company to do business. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "One piece cleaning rods by mail order?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!