Double Action Colt timing issue.....

PDA

area51guy
June 30, 2010, 07:05 PM
I have a nice Colt Officers Model in .22 rimfire. When firing in double action mode the cylinder tends to over rotate by about 50%. There are so many functions withing the Colt action that affect multiple motions that I would like some help trying to figure out what part or parts would be most likely to cause this problem. I don't mind buying a new part or two, but I don't want to just start throwing parts (and money) into the gun hoping for a solution. The bolt doesn't appear to be particularly worn but is obviously not locking into the cylinder as it should.

Thanks,

Area51guy

If you enjoyed reading about "Double Action Colt timing issue....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hmphargh
June 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
I can't help you w/ the parts question, but if it was me, I would take the gun to a gunsmith that knows how to work on Colt revolvers. They can tell you what is wrong and what it will take to fix it.

Old Fuff
June 30, 2010, 08:02 PM
You didn't say if the double-action trigger pulling was fast or show, but it appears that the hand is rotating the cylinder past the notch before the bolt is released to drop up into the notch and catch it. Try pulling the trigger slowly and see if the cylinder continues to do what it's doing.

As for replacing parts. This model Colt was not a "drop in" sort of thing. Parts are made oversized at key points, and have to be fitted individually by a skilled pistolsmith that is experienced in working on older Colt products.

There are a number of things that could be causing the problem, so rather then try to fix it yourself I strongly suggest that you call the company's customer service department and see if they will work on it. Do not expect this work to be inexpensive, but the revolver is well worth fixing.

BullfrogKen
July 1, 2010, 01:07 AM
Colt will repair it. Call them for advice. They'll walk you through the quote and repair process, and help you find cost-effective ways to ship it. This is a good use of Colt's repair shop.

PRM
July 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
Over the years I have sent 4 guns back to Colt for different reasons. Colt has always exceeded all expectations on the quality or work and turn around time.

They are also tops for having an older Colt refinished.

I agree that their repair/custom shop is the way to go.

area51guy
July 1, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks, back to Colt it goes! I was hoping for an easy fix, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

area51guy

TonyT
July 1, 2010, 08:34 AM
I would opt for sending it back to Colt or seeing a qualified gunsmith if the problem persists in both SA and DA mode. There is a very subtle difference between the lock up on Colt vs S&W revolvers. On S&W's the cylinder locks just prior to the hammer dropping while in Colt's the hammer drops virtually simultaneously with the hammer dropping.

clang
July 1, 2010, 09:18 AM
There are not many local gunsmiths who really know how to work on Colts. Many of them will just make your gun worse. I would send it back to Colt too.

When it comes to Colts (pre-Mark III guns) if you have any slop or cylinder rotation with the trigger pulled back and the hammer down, it's time to send it to Colt. Catch it early and it is an easy fix, wait and it can get expensive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Double Action Colt timing issue....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!