How Do You Justify, In Your Mind, Large Gun Collections?

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

Phydeaux642
June 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
First, let me say that I believe that every person should be able to own as many firearms as they want, whether they need them or just want them. If you have the money, go for it. What I'm asking is have you ever come to a point in your collecting where you had to try to justify to yourself buying another firearm?

Everyone has their own idea of what a large collection is. For some, ten firearms constitutes a large collection and for others it may number into the hundreds. I read here on THR a couple of years ago about a member that had around 1500 firearms and was looking to scale it back to a more manageable 200-300 pieces.

For me, let's just say I have more than ten and waaayyyy less than 1500. I've come to point, though, where I am conflicted. I now have more guns than I will shoot regularly, if at all, but I'm always looking. I love stopping in at the LGS and looking around. I always head for the used section looking for that "grail" gun. Part of me wants to keep buying the things that I find interesting and the other part is telling me to sell some of what I have because when I go to the range I usually take the same guns over and over anyway. Plus, I'm divorced with no kids and my sister and mother have no interest in my guns. It would just be a burden for them to try and sell them if something were to happen to me.

Some say, as a justification, that they add to their collection as an investment, but I think that we all know that most guns are really not an investment at all. Sometimes you end up having a gun that has gone up a considerable amount since you've owned it, but that isn't all that common. At best, most guns hold a respectable amount of their value over time, but nothing that would classify them as investments.

So, how do you justify the next purchase when you know that you have enough guns to cover all of the shooting scenarios for your particular shooting lifestyle, i.e., hunting, plinking, carrying, etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "How Do You Justify, In Your Mind, Large Gun Collections?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
danprkr
June 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
I may hit that point when I have to kick the wife out to have room for more, but until then, I can't imagine the scenario you lay out.

Big_E
June 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
Like it says in my sig. Guns are tools and each is designed for a particular job. I might get involved in CASS so I would buy a .357 (or .44 or .45LC) lever gun. However, I might not like shooting it for practice all the time so I buy a Marlin 39A. If I want something bigger on another hunt then go for the Guide Gun in .45-70.

Same goes for almost all other rifle/pistol categories. I'd rather ask myself "What will I hunt with?" Instead of "Will I go hunting?"

There is a point where if you have more than 2 of the exact same rifle then you should cut back imho.

Only thing holding me back from the ultimate collection is money and storage space.

inSight-NEO
June 30, 2010, 08:37 PM
I am never sure as to whether or not my weapon collection could be construed as "justifiable," in the literal sense, other than the weapons I specifically purchase for HD and or CC. Outside of this, to me, "justifiable" basically boils down to whether or not I can afford to add to my collection and thus, has less to do with "need" and more to do with "want."

Of course, my wife repeatedly tries to "justify" her shoe collection....over 50 pairs and counting. Needless to say, both she and I are somewhat at odds when it comes to comparing my gun collection to her shoe collection!

buck460XVR
June 30, 2010, 08:40 PM
I don't own motorcycles I don't ride, I don't own tools I don't use and the only guns I own that I don't shoot are a coupla ones handed down from my grandfather and my dad. My assortment of firearms is probably above average, but I try to shoot most of them on a regular basis. The ones I no longer enjoy shooting are trade bait for something else that hopefully I will enjoy more. I personally cannot justify owning guns just to own them and to look at them, and I do not consider guns a wise investment compared to other forms of investing, thus if they ain't bein' shot....they're gone.

leadcounsel
June 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
Devaluing dollar, economic and social unrest, increased value in tangible useful items, anti-gun leaders (admittedly it is getting harder for leaders to make things illegal with the stroke of a pen, but there is the reality of it), and guns are just plain cool, valuable, and interesting.

As far as an investment, they are investments in my freedom, liberty, security, etc. Sure I have more than enough, but that's okay. I always have spares. And from an economic point, I haven't lost money on any except a few, and the amount I've lost is negligible. I've easily made money on my collection, factoring in inflation and time.

The same money put in cash would have lost; in the stock market would likely have either lost or gone sideways for the last decade; property would have lost - gold and copper would have gone up, but I'm not the type to buy gold or copper. It's useless in my opinion, except as a speculative investment and it could just have easily gone down.

chicharrones
June 30, 2010, 08:57 PM
For me, it's about money. I'm not as prolific a shooter as many due to ammo, fees, etc.

I do like owning the few I have because I like machinery and the machinery that launches bullets. I've hit the point where justifying the purchase of a new or used gun is hard to do because I have enough to be used as "tools" plus a few extra.

My new focus is on training the kids. Any new purchases I make will probably be centered on them, just like my recent purchase of a .22 rifle for my daughter.

Gottahaveone
June 30, 2010, 08:57 PM

It's really pretty simple....I want them. When I see something new and I want it and I am willing to pay the asking price, I get it. I'm currently nearing the 50 count and while I don't shoot every one every time I go to the range, I have no desire to rid myself of any particular one. Do I need 4 Mosin's? Nope. But they each in their own way attracted me. Next time this question comes around again, I wouldn't be surprised to see that 4 be 7 or 8. And don't even get me started on the .45's :evil:

DeepSouth
June 30, 2010, 09:02 PM
What I'm asking is have you ever come to a point in your collecting where you had to try to justify to yourself buying another firearm?

I work hard for my money, and so long as the family is provided for and such, if I want it I'll buy it. I want to enjoy my money, that's all the justification I need.

fireman 9731
June 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
My girlfriend always gets on to me saying that I am buying too many guns... She doesn't see the need for that many guns... and to just get a few really nice ones.

I tell her that I want at least one of every "type" of firearm. A 22 revolver, a 22 semi auto, a 22 lever gun, and a bolt action 22. A single shot shot gun, a pump, a semi, a side by side and an over-under. For my Mosins, a 91/30, an M-38 and an M-44. Maybe a Finn M39 some day.... so on and so forth.

Now if I honestly don't like a gun, I will sell it or trade it. Or if I want to finance a new purchase I might trade off a few of the ones that just don't do anything for me anymore.

Then I get the idea of truck and beater guns... Boy I sure do like my Colt Defender but I don't want that tossed around in my truck all the time, How about a Rock Island compact for truck duty? And my Mosin M-38 would be a fantastic truck gun but it is in really good shape and they are getting harder and harder to come by. So I pick up a Chinese Type 53 that is beat to pieces at the pawn shop for $75. I would like to get 2 SKSs. One in pristine shape and one for a beater gun. That is how I justify duplicates in a collection.

I don't think I'll ever put a specific number limit on my collection but I think every gun should have a reason for being in your collection. If you can think of a reason for it then its good to go.

HGUNHNTR
June 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
I guess I don't see the need for an excuse/justification, I have what I have. The number of firearms may go up or down depending on my particular mood or wants.

GRIZ22
June 30, 2010, 09:15 PM
Gun "collections" are like Hummel figures, chess sets, old tools, or any other collection. There is no justification needed. Whatever one can afford.

ArmedBear
June 30, 2010, 09:16 PM
If I shoot them, I don't consider them a "collection."

I really can't justify the ones I don't shoot, to myself. They take up space and bring no pleasure. I have a fair number of those, but I don't have anything "special" that I don't shoot. If I had Buffalo Bill's first Sharps rifle or something, I'd probably enjoy owning it without shooting it.

Then again, I met a guy when I went buffalo hunting, and he had an unissued Trapdoor Springfield. It looked brand new, despite being 125 years old. He used it with black powder handloads on that hunt. I'm not sure if he planned to use it again, but he figured it had to be used for something, at least once.

Gun "collections" are like Hummel figures, chess sets, old tools, or any other collection.

See, when I think of it that way, I can't understand why I have any guns I don't shoot... I don't have any bottles of Scotch I don't drink, cars I don't drive, shoes I don't wear, etc.

jmorris
June 30, 2010, 09:17 PM
The same way I justify tools to complete the jobs I do. All it takes to do anything is one of everything.

parsimonious_instead
June 30, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'm a very tactile person. I love how each of my longarms feels different from one another. And I love the super-solid feel of my GP100.
Each one gives me a different type of shooting experience, and I want that experience to be as varied as possible.
At the range, I shoot one until I get a hankering to shoot the others, then I usually go back to the first one.

SharpsDressedMan
June 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
You want to put your money in stocks and bonds, or US bonds? Guns probably go up 5-10% each year.

inSight-NEO
June 30, 2010, 09:32 PM
On the lighter side, if any here have a wife, good luck selling this stuff! Unless your significant other is very understanding, kept in the dark or is a gun enthusiast, once again, good luck with the whole "justification" thing!

Out of all the weapons I own (I wont state how many), only 2 can I truly "justify"...according to my wonderful wife!

del4
June 30, 2010, 09:50 PM
How do you justify a nice car, a big house, extra food, golf clubs, jewelry, nice clothes, hobbies...guns are just victims of bad press.

Shear_stress
June 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
Some guns I have to shoot. Some guns I have just to have.

What I don't have is a significant other who places a burden of proof on each purchase. For that I have gratitude.

GraceOutcast
June 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
I've added 4 this month from my friend Mr. Craig List. I've come to a point that I need to trade in for some others. I think a practical number for me right now is 50 and I have a little more then half that now. I'm still a renter so when I get a house.....I'm totally gonna have a gun room with wall to wall safes

inSight-NEO
June 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
What I don't have is a significant other who places a burden of proof on each purchase.

Consider yourself lucky, my friend. :)

Fat_46
June 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
In all honesty, I own guns I haven't shot. Some are antique pieces, some are ones that never seem to rotate to the front of the safe, and dome are ones that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. My range trips generally entail 3-6 guns, and that's enough trips to the truck! I wanted to make sure I had one of every major type of action present (bolt, pump, lever, semi, revolver, single shot) and have to make sure my prairie dog rifles are ready...and my benchrest rifles...and my deer rifles...and my plinkers...but I don't have a problem...really, I don't!

wleoff
June 30, 2010, 10:26 PM
All one has to do is buy a few guns a year and live long enough, then your heirs will have a head start on their collection.

deadin
June 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
Where does it say I have to shoot them to enjoy them?

M2 Carbine
June 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
So, how do you justify the next purchase when you know that you have enough guns to cover all of the shooting scenarios for your particular shooting lifestyle, i.e., hunting, plinking, carrying, etc.?
Years ago I stopped trying to justify a gun purchase.
"I want it" is all the justification that's needed.

I have guns that I haven't fired in years but I wouldn't think of getting rid of them, because "I want them".

gbw
June 30, 2010, 11:04 PM
Years ago I stopped trying to justify a gun purchase.
"I want it" is all the justification that's needed.

I have guns that I haven't fired in years but I wouldn't think of getting rid of them, because "I want them".

This is close. I would add only that this sort of purchasing, in which I often indulge too, is 'justifiable' only when all other financial obligations and needs are met. Those who are scraping money together to buy a gun may need to reorder their priorities. Except for those cases, no one should care and it's no one else's business.

FTSESQ
June 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
How do you justify large tool collections? Or stamp or coin collections? Or sea shell collections or shot glass collections or car collections or yard gnome collections?

Human beings are users of tools, collectors or things of value, and admirers of shiny things. Guns fit all sorts of categories. They are practical tools for protecting ones self, family, and property to putting food on the table and providing nourishment. They are valuable items that we can buy and sell. Things that store value that we can then later use to acquire other things of value. And some of them are pretty. Humans are lovers or beauty... completely irrational, but beauty seldom is.

russ69
June 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
There is a point where if you have more than 2 of the exact same rifle then you should cut back imho.

The serial numbers are different, that's good enough for me!

Thanx, Russ

nitetrane98
June 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
The whole "collection" thing is a bit nebulous. I've got 6 handguns and 6 long guns. The closest thing I have to a collection is my 3 .22 rifles. A semi, a lever action and a bolt action. All different makes. Still looking for a decent cheap pump action.

So I guess I have a "collection" of thoroughly mundane firearms.

A collection the size of 1500 guns blows my mind. Something about taking 25 hours to handle each one for a minute just seems a little daunting.

As far as justification goes, I have no personal experience with large collections but I can understand it simply as a hobby. Many times the hunt is more satisfying than the kill. I can certainly understand collecting in a genre sense. For example, every known variation of a particular gun like one of each GI 1911. Once you get them all, you begin to try to upgrade each example.

As far as investments go, there's risk in that too. You've still got to pick the winner. Just like the stock market, buy low, sell high. There's a bubble going on right now for a lot of different guns. If you sell your NIB 1975 Python today that you paid 500 bucks for in '75 you can easily knock down 12-1300 bucks. But just be happy and don't go doing any figuring on annual percentage yield. You might be disappointed.

I just bought a TC Encore in 204 Ruger. Justification? I wanted one.

Winger Ed.
June 30, 2010, 11:19 PM
As close to the concept of justifing as I get on aquiring another firearm is:
"Because I want it", or, "Gosh Honey, I don't have one of those yet".

Alchymist
June 30, 2010, 11:23 PM
Why does anyone have to justify a collection? Who's need to know? I only wish I had a collection, I wouldn't need to justify it, just enjoy it. There are those of us who have to save even for the little things like a new set of reloading dies. (Thank Obama for that, but that's another story)). So, if anyone feels they can't justify all their guns, well, let's just say all donations accepted. :what:

Ridgerunner665
June 30, 2010, 11:33 PM
I've never had to "justify" buying a gun...

But I do sometimes have trouble deciding which one to buy...

I would dare say my collection would make the news...since I have seen smaller collections called "arsenals".

I have way more than I'll ever shoot...but many of them were bought knowing full well I'd never pull the trigger on them.

They are an investment...I try to buy the ones that I think will be rare.

An example is the 350 and 6.5 Rem Mag rifles (the original "short mags"), 222's and 222 Rem mag, the Remington 700 "Classic" line, stuff like that mostly...but anything else that tickles my fancy is fair game too.

I've run out of room though...no room for anymore safes (gonna have to build on to the house)

eatont9999
June 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
When purchasing a new firearm, I take into account many aspects of what and why I am buying it. Ultimately, I know that it is a financial investment and there is opportunity cost involved. I usually don't buy ordinary guns to begin with but if I do, I usually consider its purpose over collector's value. Vintage or historic firearms I justify mainly by the facts that I plan to take care of it and it will usually appreciate in value. Sometimes I want a gun because it is just damn cool looking and it has features that other guns in my collection do not have; same goes for historical aspects. I bought my She rifle because in its condition they were rare and it had extra value by being a bring-home from the war; the price was also right and it came with extras.

Phydeaux642
June 30, 2010, 11:44 PM
You want to put your money in stocks and bonds, or US bonds?

Actually, my bonds have done quite well over the last couple of years.

How do you justify large tool collections? Or stamp or coin collections? Or sea shell collections or shot glass collections or car collections or yard gnome collections?

Well, I can't. But that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't collect those things if they want to. And, if a large number of guns is your desire then that's okay, too. I guess for me it's the fact that I know they would be a burden to my family if something were to happen to me. The "want" is still there, though.

June 30, 2010, 11:45 PM
work hard for my money, and so long as the family is provided for and such, if I want it I'll buy it. I want to enjoy my money, that's all the justification I need.
Yup!

AKElroy
June 30, 2010, 11:50 PM
I now have more guns than I will shoot regularly, if at all, but I'm always looking.

I am not one of those religiously clinging to my CURRENT guns. If I am not going to shoot it, I am going to sell it & buy something new & interesting. My only personal rule is this; sell a gun, buy a gun.

whalerman
June 30, 2010, 11:56 PM
Gun collecting and shooting are two different games altogether. I've owned some for many years that I've never shot and likely never will. But that certainly doesn't mean I'm not enjoying them. To me, guns are machines and history rolled together. They also represent freedom.

Nushif
July 1, 2010, 12:01 AM
The wife will actually be framing the guns I don't shoot in my absence, since she's a historian I have been historically (pun intended) free of the need to have to justify owning any particular gun for any reason other than "Look it has a new concept!"

Hardtarget
July 1, 2010, 12:11 AM
I never set out to amass a large collection. Though I have several, it will never qualify as "large". Also, there isn't any direction to speak of...just a little of this and a few of that. They all go bang and I like them in MY safe! :D

Mark

huntsman
July 1, 2010, 12:13 AM

Since I only have a few and shoot them all I don't need to justify anything, I sleep well at night.

Then again, I met a guy when I went buffalo hunting, and he had an unissued Trapdoor Springfield. It looked brand new, despite being 125 years old. He used it with black powder handloads on that hunt. I'm not sure if he planned to use it again, but he figured it had to be used for something, at least once.

Old or new guns are made to shoot.To shoot or hunt with a gun from the past is like using a time machine, I don’t know how some collectors never get the urge to fire some of those classics.

I had a buddy who worked at the local S&W plant back in the 70’s and because he was an employee he got good deals.

One gun he bought was a Model 25 commemortive in a walnut presentation case, really beautiful blue job with gold inlay.

It took all of about 6 weeks till he broke down and shot the thing, and we shot it so much the gold leaf was falling out.

It was still a really sweet gun just not the looker it once was.

ljnowell
July 1, 2010, 12:14 AM
There are two kinds of guns in this world. The ones that I have, and the ones that I want.

cbrgator
July 1, 2010, 12:15 AM
My justification is... Because I can.

theotherwaldo
July 1, 2010, 12:22 AM
I buy low and don't sell, only buy what interests me, the house and cars are already paid for, I don't have any other expensive habits, and I'm single.

What am I going to do, put the money in some shaky bank? Or maybe the stock market??

Naah, better to buy yet another gun safe and fill it up.

metalman8600
July 1, 2010, 12:35 AM
Because you need the right tool for the right job.
1 firearm can't do all things.

XxWINxX94
July 1, 2010, 12:40 AM
If ya don't want to buy anymore, then don't!
If you want to buy more, yet keep the collection manageable, then maybe trade one, or sell 2 and buy 1. Pick out the one you shoot the least, and are the least attached to.

DustyVermonter
July 1, 2010, 12:42 AM
Same way people justify buying jewelery and designer clothing and all that other crap I couldn't care less about having, because they like them and they can. The way I see it you only live once and your posessions and money don't mean a thing once your gone. I do whatever I want when I want to within reason. So I guess the justification would be.....because I want to

leadcounsel
July 1, 2010, 12:56 AM
Much of my income goes into guns and ammo, which either appreciate or at least don't lose much money, except the expendable ammo, which goes directly into building my shooting skills, and is also part of my profession. Cost of business/profession.

However, look at most of the oblivions in your neighborhood and work surroundings. They spend much of their disposable income on brand new fancy clothes, trendy shoes, tanning packages, movies, music, silly artwork, jewelry, 20" chrome rims, stereo systems, Iphones, and other overpriced gadgets that depreciate quickly. Heck, I've dated girls that had $150 monthly phone contracts on their $400 Iphones, spent hundreds of dollars every few months for cosmetic reasons, and wouldn't blink to spend $300 on a pair of shoes! A male officer I worked with spend $8,000 on an in-home movie/stereo system!!!!! Crazy. So I look at my gun collection and thank the Lord I have some sense...

Brass Rain
July 1, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'm a youngster with a paltry collection, but I believe that I can say something everyone can get behind: if there's another gun that you want, then that's enough of a reason to buy it.

There's nothing stopping you from selling off a couple that you don't use often, especially if it means getting them in the hands of someone who will more appreciate them AND put more money in your pocket for more new guns.

hemiram
July 1, 2010, 01:16 AM
I have several fairly expensive hobbies, including guns. Guns are easily the most justifiable, since they really don't lose much, if any value over time. My other hobbies: Computers, R/C, ham radio don't have the value retention guns have.

My late neighbor had hundreds of rifles, along with over a hundred handguns, many WWII vintage. His two sons split the collection 50/50 when he died. I don't know if they sold most of them or kept them. He had a few that I would love to be able to get hold of now, but I couldn't afford them anyway.

emercer4
July 1, 2010, 01:24 AM
I too am single and have thought about what a burden it would be on my family to have to try to do something with all of my guns, but I haven't stopped buying guns. Instead, I created a catalog of all of my guns, I took two pictures of each gun (one close up of the serial number and one of the overall gun) I then created a form in Microsoft publisher. I included the two pictures, where I acquired the gun, the amount I paid for the gun, and an approximate value of the gun (which I try to keep updated), and anything particularly interesting about the gun (the ones handed down for instance) this way if something should happen to me my family has a general idea of what each gun is worth and some of the history of the gun. I look at buying guns the way many of you here do, I buy them because I want to and it is something I enjoy. As long as the bills are paid I will continue to buy them. For those of you with wives, let me share this story about an older guy (probably late 60s) who was in a gun shop one day when I went in and he was looking at a used rifle. He told the owner that he would have to go home and get a gun to trade in. The owner said you don't need to do that and the guy replied Oh yes I do. He said that he learned a long time ago that his wife did not know one gun from another, but she could dang sure count, so if a new one came in an old one had to leave!

WoofersInc
July 1, 2010, 01:57 AM
I'm a youngster with a paltry collection, but I believe that I can say something everyone can get behind: if there's another gun that you want, then that's enough of a reason to buy it.

This is how my collection got to the point it is at now. I currently have 94 guns. I started getting them when I was younger and over time the collection just kept getting bigger.
I have had people ask why I have so many. They seem to think that I went out and bought most of them in a short period of time. When I explain that I have been doing this for 27 years they seem to understand a little better.

My response to this is to ask how many coin or stamp collectors have only one or two of those items.

Ridgerunner665
July 1, 2010, 02:05 AM
The same goes for me...I've been buying guns since I was 18, before that Dad and Grandad bought them for me (with my hard earned money of course...alot of hay and tobacco has been put up due to my urge to buy firearms).

I've been buying steadily since I was 9...thats nearly 30 years.

And all those years before I got married...as a single truck driver with no bills, I bought a lot of guns (that was back when truck drivers still made really good money)

I still buy an average of 2 or 3 every year...but guns that tickle my fancy are becoming harder to find. I'm not into 26" fluted barrels...

FTSESQ
July 1, 2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I can't. But that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't collect those things if they want to. And, if a large number of guns is your desire then that's okay, too.

Easy buddy, that was exactly my point, that even if one person cannot "justify" something, that shouldn't mean that they shouldn't be able to do it. My point is that some people collect things for any numbers of reasons, some consciously or subconsciously, and rational some irrational in both respects.

Sunray
July 1, 2010, 02:43 AM
"...that most guns are really not an investment at all..." Nosense. Commercial hunting rifles aren't much of an investment over a short term. Not great over a long term either. Can be over the long term, depending on what it is and production numbers in a particular chambering. Pre-64 Winchesters aside.
Milsurps, on the other hand, have proven to be an excellent investment. Paid $175Cdn for my M1 Rifle, the same for my 1903A4, less for my Plainfield Carbine(commercial, to be sure). Forget what I paid for my Lee-Enfields, but all of 'em are worth far more than I paid.
In any case, the accessories for all of 'em, bayonets etc., have increased expotentially in value.
"I want one." That's a reason to buy any firearm. It has nothing to do with its potential value. Few, if any, of the Remington 'Special' chamberings will be collector's items anytime soon. Unless some guy decides he wants one.

makarovnik
July 1, 2010, 02:50 AM
I can't honestly justify my entire collection. Tough toenails.

Ridgerunner665
July 1, 2010, 02:50 AM
Few, if any, of the Remington 'Special' chamberings will be collector's items anytime soon

Thats true for sure...but a complete set of the 700 Classics, new and unfired is still a neat addition to a collection...and you never know, by the time my grandkids get them they may be worth something (I don't have any grandkids yet)

In time...nearly all things appreciate if left in new condition.

DNS
July 1, 2010, 03:25 AM
I'm a Texan. 'Nuff said.

Mike

jleyring
July 1, 2010, 05:10 AM
Ive grown up with the mindset of you can never have to many guns. My father is the type that if he see's a caliber that he doesnt have, he wants it. So his safe is filled with an assortment. I dont mind because I know that one day he will get to that age where he will give them to his kind sons. So one of my brothers and I are always there to consult and direct which calibers. But it is getting to the point that he doesnt shoot any of them. I feel you should have the caliber for every animal you want to shoot at. (270win= Deer, 300win mag= Elk, 223rem= coyote, etc.) I guess it just comes down to if you have the money and in my Father's case it is just a hobbie that makes him happy so I say keep going.:) They hold value and they make meaningful gifts to children and grandchildren. Passing on the sport of hunting to future generations. Something that is needed in todays world.

ForumSurfer
July 1, 2010, 05:11 AM
No need for justification. Keep what makes your heart go pitter patter. Keep the ones you don't want to shoot. Keep the ones you do shoot. Unless you are strapped for cash, there is no reason to get rid of them.

There IS life after divorce and you may end up meeting someone with kids, having kids of your own or even adopting. Then you'll wish you had those firearms to pass on. You never know what kind of curve-balls life throws at you.

I thought I'd never remarry after my divorce or have a serious relationship. I've had the most fun I've ever had in my life post divorce and my relationship with my son is awesome. Along the way, I accidentally met the woman I never knew I wanted who had all the qualities I never knew I wanted when I wasn't expecting it or even looking. We'll be engaged soon, eventually we'll have a child of our own and I'll need more guns to pass down.

Life doesn't end after 30 and divorce...you start the second half with the knowledge of how to do it right, so just keep those firearms.

YMMV

mcdonl
July 1, 2010, 06:39 AM
I spend extra money on guys because I consider them toy equity. If I have extra money, I put it in guns... if I find another toy I want (Like a Vintage mid 70's Yamaha Enduro.... :) ) I sell guns I purchased simply for investments... when I no longer need the bike it will be a gun again. I have certain guns I will keep for ever because I have gotten rid of them in the past and regretted it, but for the most part they are good investments that hold their value. And the are mostly expendable.

rogertc1
July 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
I have always been a collector. What I buy I keep, display, record and tag. I have only over 200 guns because I can, it makes me happy, and they are mine. I really never shoot anymore, I just enjoy looking and foldling my collection all diaplayed in my gun room. (I have previously posted pictures.)

I also collect vehicles. Again I can. I have a shop to store them in and it makes me happy. Here is my latest #10 Jeep YJ with political satire. Great comments and looks from people.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/jeepobama12.jpg

huntsman
July 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
For those of you with wives, let me share this story about an older guy (probably late 60s) who was in a gun shop one day when I went in and he was looking at a used rifle. He told the owner that he would have to go home and get a gun to trade in. The owner said you don't need to do that and the guy replied Oh yes I do. He said that he learned a long time ago that his wife did not know one gun from another, but she could dang sure count, so if a new one came in an old one had to leave!

My wife isn’t a counter and for the most part doesn’t care how many I own.

BUT she demands equal rights, what ever I spend on a gun she gets equal cash to spend on herself and she’s got a sixth sense about gun values.

So while it may take me 6 months to save up $500. for a gun it’ll be a year to save up the $1000. I need. :(

LeonCarr
July 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
No safe queens at my house. I would rather have a collection of guns with half the finish worn off from handling and shooting than I would a collection of bragging devices.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

SaxonPig
July 1, 2010, 09:35 AM
I don't need to justify my actions to anyone.

I collect guns and anyone who disapproves can kiss my ass.

I collect and carry automatic knives and anyone who disapproves can kiss my ass.

I ride a vintage Harley-Davidson and anyone who disapproves can kiss my ass.

I drive a yellow pick-up truck and anyone who disapproves can kiss my ass.

Etc.

Ridgerunner665
July 1, 2010, 09:44 AM
I like your point of view SaxonPig...and commend you for having the fortitude to post it.

And if you disapprove, you can kiss my ass ;)

Tallinar
July 1, 2010, 09:56 AM
To sum up my take on collections in general, I will defer to the statement: "I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse."

I firmly believe that people become enslaved to their collections. This is a sad thing, as life is meant for so much more than to gather and hoard material possessions. Whatever has our utmost affections and attentions -- that thing is also our master.

Personally, I try to keep a five-gun rule; that is I will aim to not own more than five guns at a time. This gives me room for all the guns I can actually shoot while still being able to enjoy shooting and handloading. My template looks like this:

Pistol caliber carbine
Long range sporting rifle
Shotgun
Handgun
(floater)

dbb1776
July 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
I just recently determined that while owning more guns doesn't neccesarily present any particular problems, keeping up with the ammunition can become problematic.
So, I came to the conclusion that I will only buy guns that I already stock ammo.

Babbalanja
July 1, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm an unmarried professional with a smallish collection and have recently grown introspective, questioning my personal philiosophy and future. I'm growing less materialistic as I age, and I think the tack I will begin to take is one of simplification. I will begin shedding the unnecessary material possessions I have and return to what I consider the more meaningful pursuits: personal growth and search for meaning. However, since I am a staunch advocate of self defense, I will of course always keep 3-4 of my functional pieces. So, if you see a thin man walking down the road in rags with an HK-93 slung over his shoulder, wish me well.

svaz
July 1, 2010, 11:21 AM
I use this formula to justify a new purchase:

Where ȸ=I want, and ɵ=I don't have, and $=money in my pocket, therefore:
ȸ + ɵ - $ = :)

Mathematically, it's a very simple concept.

Some theoreticians have suggested that ɵ is not necessary, however since $ is finite I'd prefer not to dwell on duplicates (unless of course I can get a deal where :) is far below $ and not likely to repeat in this lifetime.)

BTW, love the Jeep (the bumper sticker just makes it "work").

berettaprofessor
July 1, 2010, 11:21 AM
Justify? +1 to what SaxonPig said.

LittleHarryNut
July 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
i see them as investments......... at my peak, i had 20 or so, now i have like 11. Reason being....... i'd prefer being debt free as opposed to sitting on $10K worth of weaponry.

I like to buy low and sell high. Now, i may go back into collecting down the road, but with my first daughter on the way, my priorities are different now.

What I have now is merely defense/SHTF related.

bri
July 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
I rarely feel the need to justify any of the material things I own, or intend to buy in the future. Most people have their hobbies. Some spend a bit, others go all out. If it makes you happy and doesn't break the bank, go for it.

Beyond the few guns I own that fill a 'requirement' (hunting, CC, etc), I intend to expand my collection to include many pieces that are historically significant or just plain 'ol fun to shoot.

Smith357
July 1, 2010, 11:48 AM
Because I can.

I know it a simplistic answer, but it's really all that I need.

Dnaltrop
July 1, 2010, 12:25 PM
It's soothing.

scchokedaddy
July 1, 2010, 01:00 PM
:)Grandkids is all the justification I need. THANK GOD FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!:)

leadcounsel
July 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
In time...nearly all things appreciate if left in new condition.

Not true. In fact the opposite is true.

coloradokevin
July 1, 2010, 01:18 PM
Everyone is different. For me, I don't buy a gun unless I have some articulable "need" (read: want) for that firearm. At the present time I have somewhere between 12-20 guns. I don't normally buy guns to be safe queens, and I don't look at them for investment sake, for many of the same reasons that the OP touched on.

Sometimes my purchases would appear repetitive, but each gun has a reason for being in my collection. By way of example:

I bought an AR-15 variant many years ago to use as a plinking gun. When I later became a police officer I needed an AR-15 for work, and this rifle needed to be set up in a manner that was different than my original AR. Thus, I now have two AR-15's. I also had a Glock pistol in a caliber that my department didn't authorize, so I now have two glock pistols that look very similar from the outside, but each fire a different cartridge.

This can go on:

hunting shotguns vs defensive shotguns, hunting rifles vs target rifles, a semi-auto 10-22 vs a bolt action .22lr that I teach new shooters with.

I didn't start out with the idea of having a huge collection. I simply bought what I needed to fill some specific roles in my gun closet, and my collection grew over time. These days I'm finally at the point that I don't take EVERY gun with me to the range on most trips (I used to do that when I only have 5 guns or so), but I still shoot all of the guns. I also have a few more guns I'd like to add to my collection!

KarenTOC
July 1, 2010, 01:20 PM
OP: How Do You Justify, In Your Mind, Large Gun Collections?

OP: have you ever come to a point in your collecting where you had to try to justify to yourself buying another firearm?

As far as I can tell, the OP isn't asking how we justify additional purchases to anyone but ourselves.

GRIZ22: Gun "collections" are like Hummel figures, chess sets, old tools, or any other collection.

ArmedBear: See, when I think of it that way, I can't understand why I have any guns I don't shoot... I don't have any bottles of Scotch I don't drink, cars I don't drive, shoes I don't wear, etc.

I think there are two types of people in this world: those who enjoy collecting, and those who don't. The noncollectors will probably never understand the collectors - and vice versa. <insert 'to each his own'-themed platitude of choice here.>

I too am single and have thought about what a burden it would be on my family to have to try to do something with all of my guns, but I haven't stopped buying guns.

When my father-in-law died 2 years ago, I was stunned to learn that I was the executor* of his will. Let me say this: EVERYTHING you own will be a burden to your family after you're gone. Why single out your guns? They will have to sort through, clean up, evaluate, and dispose of everything you own, one way or another.

Instead, I created a catalog of all of my guns, I took two pictures of each gun (one close up of the serial number and one of the overall gun) I then created a form in Microsoft publisher. I included the two pictures, where I acquired the gun, the amount I paid for the gun, and an approximate value of the gun (which I try to keep updated), and anything particularly interesting about the gun (the ones handed down for instance) this way if something should happen to me my family has a general idea of what each gun is worth and some of the history of the gun

Wonderful idea - and if you add all your other worldly goods with any value (vehicles, electronic equipment, gadgets, widgets, and thingies) you'll be remembered fondly by all your descendants :)

* If you're ever asked to be executor, the only correct answer is OH, HELL NO! Well, maybe if you're a lawyer or a masochist...

MICHAEL T
July 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
More fun than collecting stamps and takes less room than collecting Cars

Hangingrock
July 1, 2010, 01:37 PM
This applies to me “If you can’t run with the big dogs you better stay on the porch”. There is only so much disposable income. Some have more than others. I’m not being judgmental nor am I wealth envious of others. I do admire the collections of others such as S&W “Registered Magnums”.:)

rygould
July 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
No problem in justifying it to myself. It's like a fat kid craving ice cream. I just have to have them. It's the wife who needs the justification.

She is by no means anti-gun, but she is anti-gun prices. We have settled in on a "shopping list" of pistols and long guns that while she feels is far more than I need, I feel will satisfy my ever insatiable desire for new guns. The deal is now if I bring a new one home; I either have to get rid of one, or get a better paying job.

RainDodger
July 1, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm an adult. I don't need to justify it. I'm not being flippant; I simply don't need to justify it. If it's something I want and I can afford it, and it's not totally stupid, I do it.

I can do that because I do have a job, I take my investments and savings off the top before I ever see it, and what I have left at the end is for myself.

ConstitutionCowboy
July 1, 2010, 02:09 PM

Justify? I don't need no stinkin justify!

You might as well ask how a person justifies how often they have sex.

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy
July 1, 2010, 02:11 PM
HEY WAIT!

I figured it out.

It's to quench an urge.

Woody

Phydeaux642
July 1, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't need to justify my actions to anyone.

You missed my question. How do you justify your collection for yourself?

"...that most guns are really not an investment at all..." Nosense.

Unless you are seeking out older guns in good condition and get them at bargain prices then I have to disagree. There are no Glocks or 10/22s or or Rock Island 1911s, etc., that are going to keep up with inflation. So, they are not good investments. Yes, if you are very selective, then maybe you can do well. You know as well as I do that 99% of the buyers out there aren't doing that, though.

thewilbur
July 1, 2010, 02:43 PM
After selling off my firearms before and during my divorce, I was in financial hot water for a few years. When I started to collect again, I bought a few firearms to establish what I considered to be a foundation. I then added new stuff to load for and experiment with.

I think it is important to have and maintain a core collection... a foundation. I discovered that after selling off my earlier collection, I wound up only missed a few. However, I do not regret my earlier purchases, since the experience of loading, shooting, and hunting with them was worth a great deal to me... almost as much as the guns themselves.

The_Pretender
July 1, 2010, 03:09 PM
If you feel you have to justify it, something is probably wrong from the get-go.

FLAvalanche
July 1, 2010, 03:34 PM
My wife used to complain about my guns. I told her I would stop buying guns when she stopped buying those stupid Precious Moments figurines.

Probably one of the reasons she an ex-wife...

JohnBT
July 1, 2010, 05:09 PM
Collecting guns is cheaper than collecting ex wives.

SaxonPig
July 1, 2010, 07:10 PM
"Anyone" includes myself. If I want it, I buy it. I don't feel the need to justify my expenditures. Wanting is justification.

I wanted these:

http://www.fototime.com/F2B741C09E4F2D9/standard.jpg

And these:

http://www.fototime.com/4A0B54E5804CC11/standard.jpg

And these:

http://www.fototime.com/1CA6A1408727EEA/standard.jpg

And all the others that are not pictured. No further explanation required.

Guillermo
July 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
What I'm asking is have you ever come to a point in your collecting where you had to try to justify to yourself buying another firearm?

uh...no

inSight-NEO
July 1, 2010, 07:28 PM
SaxonPig-

Quite the envious collection there. Of course, the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the pics is "this guy is either unmarried, has too much money, has way too much time on his hands or any combination of the three!" ;)

Still, assuming these are truly yours...nice.

Nushif
July 1, 2010, 07:29 PM
Ahhh! I saw a P38! I want it!

wvshooter
July 1, 2010, 07:37 PM
I don't think anyone needs to justify any size gun collection. There are lots of fun things to collect and guns are just one choice.

As far as investing goes I've made several investments down through the years that have cost me several thousand dollars. It would be nice if I could go back in time and just put that same money into guns. It would have been so much smarter.

rattletrap1970
July 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm a mechanical designer, been doing that for going on 18 years now. I've always loved mechanical things; I think the inside of a pocketwatch is art. Every gun, rifle, pistol or shotgun to me is a work of art in it's own way. I almost think of gun collecting as the same thing as collecting paintings, except you can use them. Every one has a personality, they all work, behave and feed differently. A friend once said to me, "How many guns do you need?" I said, "All of 'em"
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/Group1-IMG_4289_IMG_4321-33images.jpg

inSight-NEO
July 1, 2010, 07:53 PM
Upon reading all of these "I do not have to justify my excess to anyone" posts, I wonder, how do you guys get past your wife (for those who are married)?

It seems the only logical answer to this would be having the appropriate funds to satisfy personal thirst, along with paying the bills on time, having plenty of "emergency funds" set aside, taking care of the kids needs and keeping the wife shopping at Macys. I guess "justification" becomes much less of an issue when you have plenty of money to burn.

However...some of us actually do end up being held accountable for such purchases, and thus are not able to sport such a "cavalier" attitude. Otherwise, the costs could end up being much greater than the sum of all weapons purchased...figuratively speaking.

For those who are able to rack up countless numbers of weaponry, I salute you. I am just glad I'm not the one having to clean/store all of those damn things!

And yes...I am a bit jealous. So what? :)

zxcvbob
July 1, 2010, 08:06 PM
I like them; I can afford them; they don't take up too much room yet. ;)

All the bills are paid on time, the house is paid-off, there's food on the table, I'm paying for most of my kid's college expenses, I give money to charity, and I'm maxing out the contributions to my retirement accounts. There's not much money left at the end of the month after I've taken care of all that, and I'll spend some of it however I like with a clean conscience.

(I think I spend more on gunpowder than I do guns.)

Officers'Wife
July 1, 2010, 08:06 PM
Why do you feel the need, in your mind, to justify having any possession regardless of number?

But if you insist I'll give you the words of my Grandfather- When he was still alive he kept a pair of mules and harness for said mules as well as 'farmed' 5 acres with them. When a local wag asked him why he bothered with the animals the old gentleman replied... "Because I can."

Guillermo
July 1, 2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder, how do you guys get past your wife (for those who are married)?

My gun purchases are no more her business than her shoe purchases are mine.

inSight-NEO
July 1, 2010, 08:20 PM
Why do you feel the need, in your mind, to justify having any possession regardless of number?

At some point, it comes down to what one "needs" and what one simply "wants." Needs are based on reality/practicality/survival...wants are based on wishes/dreams/pleasure. The justification part is situation/conviction based (along with any number of variables).

Either way, I applaud those with large collections, regardless of the reasons; and yes, I somewhat envy them as well. It is understandable...guns are cool. I am a huge fan/proponent of guns and always will be.

By the way, I am not knocking those who buy whatever they want, whenever they want. I honestly have no issue with it. Rather, I am merely pointing out the differences between those who can and those who possibly cant (or probably should not). Again, if you are married with children, for instance, you are no longer merely held accountable to only yourself.

Regardless, I know this is a bit "off topic," so I will not bother elaborating. After all, this is an interesting thread, with interesting responses. I would hate to see it closed. Therefore, I will shut up and try to avoid being partially responsible for this thread taking a trip on the downward spiral.

PH/CIB
July 1, 2010, 08:26 PM
Firearms are one of the best investments you can make.

I have paid thousands for home insurance and car insurance over the years and collected practically nothing but peace of mind in return.

If things get really bad, and I mean really bad, stocks and bonds, bank accounts, credit cards, money etc will all become virtually worthless.

Land that you can grow crops on, or raise livestock on, have timber on, build a shelter on, and hopefully a pump non electric well or a stream or a pond on, and a defendable perimenter,whether valuable monetarily or not will become priceless.

We live under a very thin veneer of civilization, after a week or two without food, we would all kill each other over a candy bar.

Firearms that we all enjoy collecting and shooting for fun, will now become priceless for hunting, survival and self defense.

It is easy to have a fairly large collection of firearms, and you do not have to be rich to do it, if in your twenties you just purchase one firearm a year for the rest of your life, by the time you are sixty or seventy you will have fourty to fifty firearms.

Unfortunately in my case, I buy and sell, at one point in my life I had a lot more than that, at this point a lot less, but I shoot and enjoy all of them.

Nine Lives
July 1, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm young and only have about 8 guns, which is fairly large in my mind. I like the nicest ones I can get too, I'm an HK fan (goodbye, disposable income) so my guns are either that or other really high end ones. I also love BMW's and European suits, between those things and my girlfriend I don't worry to much about buying some cheapass gun that somewhat strikes my fancy to add to the collection. To each their own though, I can see the appeal in having a ton of them, it's just not realistic or attractive to me. Like Glocks.

Nosidda Zneas
July 1, 2010, 09:01 PM

what from the river bottom before the cops find them?

J/K

Phydeaux642
July 1, 2010, 09:46 PM

It seems to me that after a point many of the purchases become redundant. As an example, I used to have seven bicycles. One day I said to myself, "Why do I need seven bicycles?".The answer for me was "For my uses, I don't need seven bicycles". So, I gave away a couple, sold a couple and now have three. I'd only have two if I could get anything out of my oldest bicycle that I completely rebuilt and now has more in parts than it's worth.

Hey, it doesn't bother me one bit how many guns you have. I enjoy looking at pictures of your collections. Some of them are outstanding and worthy of a museum setting. If the collecting is the thrill for you, then more power to you. I'm not saying that I will not buy another gun. But, at this point I am way more selective than I used to be. It has to be something special (in my mind) to go ahead and spend the money. I've also got to a point where I think I can let go of some stuff and not regret it.

Mike OTDP
July 1, 2010, 09:49 PM
Backups!

A bit of background...I shoot 5 MLAIC pistol events that require different guns. So I have a primary and a backup for each event. 10 guns.

Now, three of those are originals...which means having a replica to train with. Being careful, I've got backups for those. 16 guns.

I also shoot N-SSA events. My MLAIC revolvers do double duty, but this adds musket and carbine. 18 guns, and I inherited Dad's stuff. 20 guns.

I also shoot NRA bullseye pistol, NMLRA, and ISSF matches.

Toss in some investment-grade pieces, and you wind up with quite a collection.

I'll add that I am more selective these days...but when you have a C&R, there are bargains you can't pass up.

Phydeaux642
July 1, 2010, 09:51 PM
Backups!

A bit of background...I shoot 5 MLAIC pistol events that require different guns. So I have a primary and a backup for each event. 10 guns.

Now, three of those are originals...which means having a replica to train with. Being careful, I've got backups for those. 16 guns.

I also shoot N-SSA events. My MLAIC revolvers do double duty, but this adds musket and carbine. 18 guns, and I inherited Dad's stuff. 20 guns.

I also shoot NRA bullseye pistol, NMLRA, and ISSF matches.

Toss in some investment-grade pieces, and you wind up with quite a collection.

Great answer.

Guillermo
July 1, 2010, 09:52 PM
I never think about how many I own, probably because it is such a meager number.

I DO think of what I want.

Justify it? To who?

zxcvbob
July 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
So Guillermo, how many shoes *does* your wife have? :D

Guillermo
July 1, 2010, 10:53 PM
So Guillermo, how many shoes *does* your wife have?

I have no idea

browningguy
July 1, 2010, 10:55 PM
I just buy them because I like them.

Zanad
July 1, 2010, 10:59 PM
for me, I have havent "started" on what I want to buy.... a crate full(20) of mosins or AK or sks should get me started.

AKElroy
July 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:

what from the river bottom before the cops find them?

The guns or the wives?

agent89
July 2, 2010, 12:48 AM
I think it is human nature to collect what is appealing. Guns like so many other hobbies sometimes get a little out of control. I have curbed my buying for sometime. I have a way of thinking of it as "shop from my own store". If a new gun sparks interest, I remind myself that I have something similar that I could use. The fact that I am on this site could be trouble for me (want a lcr):)

Officers'Wife
July 2, 2010, 07:37 AM
One day I said to myself, "Why do I need seven bicycles?".The answer for me was "For my uses, I don't need seven bicycles". So, I gave away a couple, sold a couple and now have three. I'd only have two if I could get anything out of my oldest bicycle that I completely rebuilt and now has more in parts than it's worth.

That's a question of priority not lack of justification. You trade little pieces of your life for the money you earn. Somewhere along the line we have been convinced having too many possessions is immoral. I have thirty teddy bears. Do I need thirty teddy bears? Of course not. Am I evil for keeping thirty teddy bears when there are people that don't have one? Nyet kamarade, that nonsense hasn't taken a foothold in my household.

Mike OTDP
July 2, 2010, 08:52 AM
There's also investment.

I'll stipulate that most production firearms are not a terribly good investment. They don't depreciate as much as a car, but you have the same "lose 10% of value once you get it off the lot" loss.

Older guns, though, can be very profitable. Anyone who bought Civil War guns in the '60s or '70s could sell at a high profit, and they are still appreciating. And I bought my E. German Makarov for $169...from a guy who had a crate full of them. I'm kicking myself for not buying the whole crate, as they have doubled in price. Cz-82s will probably go the same way.

bannockburn
July 2, 2010, 09:06 AM
I think Mike ODTP makes an excellent point that for him, he needs different guns (and their accompanying back-ups), for a variety of specialized purposes.

Many, many years ago, a prosperous knight would have had a number of different weapons for any number of different battle conditions. He might also have had at least 4 to 6 horses. Typically 1 or 2 pack horses for carrying his armor, weapons, and supplies. Next he would have a large draft horse which would be his primary war horse for battle or tournaments. There would also be another horse (a back-up if you will), usually of the same size and breed as the war horse, which the knight would use for practice. He might also have another horse which would primarily be used for basic transportation.

Now substitute cars, trucks, or motorcycles for horses, and handguns, shotguns, and rifles for swords, lances, and battle axes, and you might have a modern day collector.

Legionnaire
July 2, 2010, 09:15 AM
Temperance in all things. With alcohol, some drink more, some less ... some not at all, and some think others shouldn't drink. Although sometimes the word temperance is used to refer to the total abstinence from alcohol, it really means habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion. But like some can drink more than others without becoming intoxicated, some can afford and appreciate more firearms than others without becoming prodigal (i.e., wastefully or recklessly extravagant). As long as one hasn't crossed that line, no justification needed.

Phydeaux642
July 2, 2010, 10:08 AM
That's a question of priority not lack of justification. You trade little pieces of your life for the money you earn. Somewhere along the line we have been convinced having too many possessions is immoral. I have thirty teddy bears. Do I need thirty teddy bears? Of course not. Am I evil for keeping thirty teddy bears when there are people that don't have one? Nyet kamarade, that nonsense hasn't taken a foothold in my household.

No, it is a justification question. All seven bicycles served the same function - commuting. I figure two is plenty for that purpose. So, how many Colt 1911s do you need? If your answer is "all of them" then that's fine with me, but for me I have found that one or two is enough.

Officers'Wife
July 2, 2010, 10:16 AM
If your answer is "all of them" then that's fine with me, but for me I have found that one or two is enough.

Your priority is that two is enough of that particular asset. Any more is a not a good use of your personal capital. Back on topic, hubby believes his fifteen .22 cal weapons are a reasonable use of capital with the enjoyment he gets from owning them. My Dad has over fifty bolt action rifles, he believes the satisfaction of ownership is worth the use of capital. My grandfather kept his mules with the associated expenses involved with their keep, he believed they were worth the cost. That belief is the only justification, need has nothing to do with the idea.

Justin Holder
July 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
How do you justify a large stamp collection?

Having more than one vehicle?

Owning more than one style of shirt?

A large coin collection?

A large set of tools?

I could go on and on.

Gouranga
July 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
LOL, I could not "justify" a large collection. Not because I don't want one (There are 3 or 4 guns I would LOVE to get) but because I have too many expensive hobbies competing for the cash along with a wife and 4 kids who like shelter, clothing, and food.

The I saw a sweet 1911 a the store the other day...I would LOVE, absolutely LOVE to have it. However, for that same price, I can get a sweet SI graph for my boat to help with my fishing habit. The graph I would get more use out of. Now I have been thinking about taking up hunting again, if I can find a good spot to hunt in NC and a bud to go with and that will of course require a new firearm.

Prince Yamato
July 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
I was of the mindset that I wanted as many guns as possible. Then, about 2 years ago, I decided that I needed to slim down my collection. Basically, I hate anything bulky that I can't carry on my person. So, with the exception of one AK-47 (because I want one decent SHTF gun), all my guns are pistols. I'm also doing caliber consolidation. All new handguns will be 9mm or .22, with the exception of my carry gun (Kel-Tec P32). Brand consolidation helps too, especially where magazines are interchangeable (my 9mms are all Glocks). I should also add that I'm of the "it's a tool" mindset; if I can't carry it on my person for CCW, I figure, "why bother?"

MinnMooney
July 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
If your gun ownership goes beyond those guns that you use on a regular basis then it could rightfully be called a collection. Collections are simply a bunch of anything (stamps, rocks, dolls, knives, military items) that you fancy and just like having around to look at.
You don't have to "justify" the collection.

huntsman
July 2, 2010, 07:10 PM
Temperance in all things. With alcohol, some drink more, some less ... some not at all, and some think others shouldn't drink. Although sometimes the word temperance is used to refer to the total abstinence from alcohol, it really means habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion. But like some can drink more than others without becoming intoxicated, some can afford and appreciate more firearms than others without becoming prodigal (i.e., wastefully or recklessly extravagant). As long as one hasn't crossed that line, no justification needed.
+1 Temperance in all things.

Guillermo
July 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
Temperance in all things

I will drink to temperance

(for you)

TIMC
July 2, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have no need to justify to myself any new additions to my collection which is already insane by most news media standards. If I want it; it needs to come home with me where it will be loved and taken care of.
I do have to justify it with the wife and that has become increasingly more difficult the larger my collection grows. I think it is just because I have more love to give then she does. ;)

Officers'Wife
July 2, 2010, 11:11 PM
Temperance in all things

I disagree, one should not practice temperance in standing up for what is right, working to make your neighborhood a better place, helping others and loving your family and your country. These, among other things cry out for excess beyond all understanding. Perhaps even beyond life itself.

When you consider adopting temperance in all things, please consider that our independence was not won by temperent men. It was won by men with a vision for the future than they would not mollify, would not compromise and would not allow to die.

22-rimfire
July 3, 2010, 12:23 AM
Guns that were bought for shooting slowly became more valuable or became unused as they were replaced by something else. I started selling off stuff I didn't use or likely would use. However, guns were purchased to fill a particular need. I didn't need five 1911's

Then I thought I would develop a central focus to my interest and collecting started in earnest. I researched the history of certain fireams and learned. Some things that were still in good shape were parked and things that weren't were used as trading material. The new purpose defined the focus of the "need" for new acquisitions and I freed myself from my past where each gun was bought for a specific purpose.

I set goals and slowly tried to meet my goals and objectives. Time passes and now, I don't have the dominating drive. I'm back to buying guns to shoot. The collector stuff remains or much of it does, but one day I'll sell them and keep the shooters. Then I'll pare down the shooters to a reasonable number and my efforts have run full circle.

I think this is the way it ought to be. I don't do the same things I did when I was 25. In 20 years, I won't do the same things I do now.

F-Body Demon
July 3, 2010, 12:41 AM
The same way people justify large car collections. I just like firearms.

oldbear
July 3, 2010, 06:27 PM
I have finally reached the point in life; age, oblations, and money, where I don’t have to justify myself to anyone.:cool: Now the aforementioned in no way means I can be a rude jerk and not always try and treat folks the right way. My collection of handguns is currently five (5) and has been for sometime now. I’m still on a part time hunt for the following: S&W M-27 31/2”, S&W M-27 5”, S&W N frame belly gun. So if I find any of those at a fair price, I will add to my small collection with out any justification.

Now my ammo expenditures may have gotten out of line in the last 18 or so months. Do I really need a minimum of 1,000 rounds of .357 ammo in the house at all times?

rscalzo
July 3, 2010, 07:48 PM
Where does it say I have to shoot them to enjoy them?

We had a physician who lived in our town who had a rather large collection. Many just the standard run of the mill handguns. Nothing of a true collector's item. He bought them and hung them on a display frame in his house. Never shot them for the most part.

When he died, I helped a family member go through the collection of hundreds giving him an idea of the values. Most were ten years of more old and brand new.

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 3, 2010, 08:24 PM
Temperance in all things

I like James Hilton's take on this better.

From his novel Lost Horizon:

We practice moderation here, moderation in all things - including, if you'll pardon the paradox, the virtue of moderation itself.

- Chang

KR

dougw47
July 3, 2010, 08:36 PM
In the 70's and 80's, knocking down close to 6 figures...I had one bedroom converted to a gun safe. Lost count at 300 firearms...who cares? I had a friend that had over a thousand and many machine guns...we had fun.

Now I am retired it seems, I have given some to my kids and grand kids, sold most of the remainder. Through it all I have had an understanding wife, a real blessing.

Now, I collect a few mil-surps, have a few hand weapons, and more hunting rifles than I will ever need. Oh, and 4 shotguns. So what? They bring me pleasure, I shoot them all from time to time, and the family does not suffer. I don't need any more, but when I see one I like...or find a ridiculous bargain, I pick it up. That is all the justification one needs.

wally
July 3, 2010, 09:00 PM
I enjoy my guns a whole lot more than I enjoy the money invested in CDs and Savings Bonds and they've appreciated a good bit more the past three or four years too, while the stocks have gone significantly backwards :(

I plan to partially fund my retirement slowly selling off my gun collection while doing a little traveling to various gun shows.

Besides, any self-respecting Texan should be able to outfit a reasonably sized Banana Republic :)

toycruiser71
July 3, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have two very distinct and different reasons for quantity and ownership. I have been shooting since I was about 9 and love it. I was a police officer for about 15 years and had an entire arsenal at my fingertips, so my personal collection was pretty nil. I retired more than a few years ago due to injuries, and found myself pretty thin on my personal arms. I kicked myself....hard....for having sold some of the guns I had owned. I have slowly started building up my own collection again for these reasons: 1) I am very nervous about the state of affairs I see our beloved country in and am a staunch supporter of an Americans' right to bear arms, no matter how many they want. I believe you have to be prepared for the day the shtf. I have a small collection, bolt action scoped .308 hunting rifle, .357 mag lever action, high cap 12 ga shotgun, 9mm pistol and the ever important .22 semi-auto. Sadly, I live in ********** where you can't have hi cap mags for most guns. These will be go to guns, for the just in case scenario. I do plan to supplement this list with a tactical rifle, AR or AK platform. I also have lots of ammo.

The second reason is simple. I love to go shooting. I love to do tactical shoots, distance shoots, whatever. It is fun. At somepoint, I would like to do some 3 gun competitions. Still working on that. I want more rifles and I want more pistols. Very simple. I want them. But, I have to be realistic, as I live on a budget. My wife is very supportive, as she puts it, "I will not stop you from expressing your 2nd Amendment rights". I love my wife. However, I have to be fiscally responsible. My worst nightmare would be a credit card with a $5000 spending limit.:D

Hatterasguy
July 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
Its my money, I'll spend it anyway I want.

I don't need to justify a gun collection any more than a Ferrari or big boat.

I earn it, I spend it, you don't like it...well thats just tough. Last I heard we live in a free capitalist country.

Phydeaux642
July 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
I earn it, I spend it, you don't like it...well thats just tough. Last I heard we live in a free capitalist country.

Once again, I don't care how many firearms you have. The question was how do you justify them for yourself? Hey, if the reason is nothing more than conspicuous consumption, that's fine by me.

I kind of thought I would get more answers like "because they are beautiful pieces of functional art and they fascinate me" instead of "hey, kiss my behind, I'll do what I want".

Guillermo
July 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
"hey, kiss my behind, I'll do what I want".

sorry

I will try to do better.

How about this?

"they are well designed, efficient works of art that I enjoy. And if you don't like it kiss my behind"

Better? :neener:

Justin Holder
July 4, 2010, 12:13 AM
Well, who doesn't like variety?

Only using one gun would be like eating the same food every day.

It can be done, but why would you want to?

Hawthorne2k
July 4, 2010, 12:50 AM
I try to balance getting enough guns that I can practice the sport I love and protect my wife and kids with the fact that we're paying down our debts and trying to provide them with a semi-hopeful future.

I have enough (or will have enough) guns to shoot in the disciplines I enjoy, (IPSC, 3 Gun, Clays) by the end of this year. Between what I have and what I'm getting, I'll have enough to have a pistol and a long gun quickly accessible no matter where I am and I'll have enough to deal with any opportunity from 1 to 800 yards.

That'll be good enough.

kimberkid
July 4, 2010, 08:46 AM
For me, let's just say I have more than ten and waaayyyy less than 1500. I've come to point, though, where I am conflicted. I now have more guns than I will shoot regularly, if at all, but I'm always looking.This sounds exactly like me ... some of my guns haven't been shot in over 2 years, but the aren't safe queens either ... and I really hate it when someone brings up a favorite gun scenario ... or a "if you could have only 1 gun (or two or three)" ... it makes my brain hurt :fire:

So, how do you justify the next purchase when you know that you have enough guns to cover all of the shooting scenarios for your particular shooting lifestyle, i.e., hunting, plinking, carrying, etc.?I don't try and justify it to myself, if I want it thats good enough for me.

If my wife asks I simply turn it around and ask how her 401K is doing.

I will add that on many occasions I've sold guns to buy other guns or other toys ... the most I ever sold to fund a single toy was 30 guns to raise about $30,000 to buy a sports car ... although the car is now worth less than the guns would have been, I really enjoy the car as does my wife and daughter ... that time is more precious, thus a better investment!

Another time, when we were looking at houses ... we found one we both really liked but it was wayyyy more than we could afford. We made a one-shot offer on it anyway; 60K under the asking price ... my wife said that was the absolute top. They came back with a counter-offer 2K higher than our offer ... I told the wife I would sell a gun or two and make it up. She said OK ...

Hatterasguy
July 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
I kind of thought I would get more answers like "because they are beautiful pieces of functional art and they fascinate me" instead of "hey, kiss my behind, I'll do what I want".

Oh in that case because they are cool. Because I can now own all the guns I played with as a kid in video games and wanted to own one day.:D

rogertc1
July 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/mancave2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/mancave1.jpg

A WARM AND FUZZIE FEELING.

22-rimfire
July 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have been trying to justify a certain new purchase. I can't justify it. So, I'm going to just buy it. I'm way past the ... I need this shotgun to hunt rabbits and pheasant....

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 12:57 PM
what is with all of the price tags in that picture?

{post 144}

huntsman
July 4, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well, who doesn't like variety?

Only using one gun would be like eating the same food every day.

It can be done, but why would you want to?
Eating the same food everyday or only owning one gun ain't bad, after all I've lived with the same woman for thirty years. ;)

HOWARD J
July 4, 2010, 01:49 PM
When the oldest graduated from Howe Military I had 46 Weapons.
I have sold off a number since then & picked up a number.
I enjoy reloading ----so I need a different gun for a different cal.
Enuf said....................

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 02:10 PM
after all I've lived with the same woman for thirty years.

and she has lived with the same man.

maybe it is time for separate vacations and while on yours you can pick up a new...

gun
:D

Phydeaux642
July 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
sorry

I will try to do better.

How about this?

"they are well designed, efficient works of art that I enjoy. And if you don't like it kiss my behind"

Better?

Much.:D

Rshooter
July 4, 2010, 03:55 PM
I only have to justify the purchase to my wife. :eek:

oldbear
July 4, 2010, 08:58 PM
"Phydeau;
My answer was not intended to be a kiss my$$ response it was true. I don’t have to justify, within the limits society has placed on all of us, myself to anyone.

Now if you a phrased your question as to the reason many of us collect firearms? My response would have been along the lines of, the S&W revolvers I own represent the height of the metal workers art in the 19th and 20th centuries’.:D

Phydeaux642
July 4, 2010, 11:34 PM
"Phydeau;
My answer was not intended to be a kiss my$$ response it was true. I don’t have to justify, within the limits society has placed on all of us, myself to anyone.

Now if you a phrased your question as to the reason many of us collect firearms? My response would have been along the lines of the S&W revolvers I own represent the height of the metal workers art in the 19th and 20th centuries’.

+1 on S&W wheelguns.

I think I have started to justify my purchases for myself to get away from wanting one of everything. After all, I have decided that tactical tupperware is no longer of any interest to me, so, even if I find something that is a great deal I am not going to buy it. I bought a Keltec PF9 recently only because I wanted to try it for pocket carry.

However, older S&W revolvers are another story. I think they are beautiful pieces of art that go bang and I am always looking for something new (to me) and exciting. Thankfully, they don't come around often, so, when one does I can usually come up with the money. And, I have recently discovered that I really like older blued Colt 1911s. Again, those don't come around very often either. These are easier to justify in my mind because I know they hold their value much better than my XD9 does.

July 5, 2010, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo:

{post 144}

How did you determine those to be price tags? Or, are you just assuming?:evil:

MarkDozier
July 5, 2010, 07:59 AM
I am a poligamist, but my wife will only let me have one wife. But I can have a lot of guns..

rogertc1
July 5, 2010, 11:14 AM
Guillermo is assuming

{post 144}

See my post # 62

What I buy I keep, display, record and tag.
example:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/Derringers2009.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/Derringers3.jpg

Hondo 60
July 5, 2010, 11:30 AM
I can justify it by the fact that no one in my household is naked, starving or living in the street, so I can afford it.

And the Constitution says it's my right as an American to have guns.

NMGonzo
July 5, 2010, 12:58 PM
Having a gun should be a human right.

Having a gun collection is a lot easier than having a car collection.

Guns and more
July 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
This is America.
I don't need to justify it.

da3394
July 5, 2010, 02:15 PM
No justification needed nor desired. The 2nd Amendment allows it and we have the RIGHT to own as many as we are able to afford.

Phydeaux642
July 5, 2010, 03:04 PM
It's funny how many folks have missed the question entirely. Oh well.

huntsman
July 5, 2010, 04:15 PM
^ which question?

Phydeaux642
July 5, 2010, 04:35 PM
They are all tied together. It was never a "right to own" question. It was a "how do you justify for yourself the money that gets tied up in a large collection" question. I used to spend every extra penny I had on firearm related purchases. I can't bring myself to do that any longer. If you do, that's great. I was just wondering what the thought process was. At this point I have narrowed down what interests me and that keeps my purchases at a level that I am comfortable with. To each his own, though.

pockets
July 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
"how do you justify for yourself the money that gets tied up in a large collection"
I DON'T.
No need for me to justify this sort of thing to anyone....much less myself.

My guns are purchased with "extra money", money I earn on the side for just such expenditures. Some of that extra money gets spent on guns, some on other hobby items, some on my wife's extra wants, some on vacations, etc.
NONE of that extra money requires justification for me to spend.

22-rimfire
July 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have cooled my purchase rate significantly. I have a couple collector pieces I want to pick up at some undefined future date. I am mostly buying shooters these days.

I do try to justify a purchase to myself beyond just "wanting it". But that is a personal decision and has nothing to do with "getting permission" from my wife to make an acquisition. Cash flow has a lot to do with the need to justify something for me personally.

BBQLS1
July 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
Not every thing needs justification.

Guillermo
July 6, 2010, 11:02 AM
What I buy I keep, display, record and tag.

weirdo
:neener:

searcher451
July 6, 2010, 11:57 AM
IMO, it makes great sense to keep a record of what you buy, and what it costs, and the serial number and other pertinent information -- just in case. I'm not sure that I'd keep that information attached to the gun itself, but to each his own.

As for justification, why muddy the waters by trying to justify the decision to buy a gun? If you want it, and you can afford it, what else do you -- or anyone else -- need to know?

eye5600
July 6, 2010, 12:55 PM

This a bit of a quibble. The question should be: How do you justify owning a large gun collection? Other people's collections aren't yours to justify. Let them find their own reasons.

I'd guess you've reached a point where the mere addition of another guy doesn't give you the thrill that it used to, and the psychic payback isn't worth the money, effort and space required. There two things I'd offer to think about.

First, no one owns all the things that he likes. There aren't enough hours in the day to use and enjoy them, even if the enjoyment is as simple as looking at them.

Second, if you want to be a collector, your collection should have some focus. It can be a
all of one kind" focus or a "one of each kind" or whatever.

olav_a
July 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
I like to get interesting stuff. So, that is my justification.

BLACKHAWKNJ
July 6, 2010, 07:42 PM
No different than collecting coins or stamps, IMHO. As long as it is not at the expense of say family vacations, college tuition, etc. I know a woman who collects sewing machines.

stchman
July 6, 2010, 07:47 PM
I basically buy a gun when I can afford it. I don't let the mortgage go and stuff.

No justification as to own one "just to have" is a valid reason as well.

inSight-NEO
July 7, 2010, 09:14 PM
If your gun ownership goes beyond those guns that you use on a regular basis then it could rightfully be called a collection. Collections are simply a bunch of anything (stamps, rocks, dolls, knives, military items) that you fancy and just like having around to look at.

You don't have to "justify" the collection.

Well...again, lets separate "need" from mere "want." Nobody here will ever be able to convince me (with a straight face) that they "need", say, 100 guns or whatever...outside of being a dealer.

Guillermo
July 7, 2010, 09:17 PM
I want it
I can afford it
I am an American

justify?

to who?

inSight-NEO
July 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
I want it
I can afford it
I am an American

justify?

to who?

To your spouse or family...if you have one. To yourself, if you are breaking your financial back to afford such a collection.

I think too many here may be somewhat confusing "justification" with "rights," perhaps.

Of course, if one has money to blow without affecting the family or his/her own financial abilities, then go for it.

I have nothing against collecting anything; each to their own. But lets be honest, there eventually (for the sane of mind) comes a point where "enough is enough." Why? The "justification" is simply no longer there. Why is that? Perhaps one can no longer come up with a "need" or explanation (even to oneself) for such a collection? Perhaps one can no longer rationally continue expanding the collection due to financial/personal reasons? Who knows? The list goes on....

Either way, unless you are among the lucky ones who has expendable cash flowing like a fountain, justification eventually becomes necessary; if not to others, then to yourself. If not now, then later.

Guillermo
July 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
To your spouse or family

of course I take care of my family before I buy guns.

sometimes I buy my family guns! :D

(my wife has been given 2 shotguns including an inlayed Berreta as well as a 3 inch 686 and my daughter a Smith 19)

heavyshooter
November 7, 2010, 01:26 AM
I like guns; justification accomplished.

smallbore
November 7, 2010, 05:05 AM
I don't have a "collection". What I have is a "working battery".

Neverwinter
November 7, 2010, 06:17 AM
If I were affluent enough to afford to buy beyond what provides the desired functionality, I wouldn't feel like I had to justify it any more than any other type of product that I appreciate. Buying beyond my means for something that I wouldn't end up shooting would just gnaw at my conscience.

awgrizzly
November 7, 2010, 12:27 PM
Once upon a time I only had a couple guns that I actually used for hunting. Then when Clinton was about to ban certain guns I went out and bought an on sale H&K with a 13 round clip. After that things sorta got out of hand. The last I counted I had passed 30. Why? <shrug>

gym
November 7, 2010, 12:50 PM
There are gun guys and then there are GUN GUYS. I know a lot of ex servicemen mainly Marines, who would consider the phrase "too many guns", something that made no grammatical or rational sense. I never met a real gun guy, who was "finished" collecting. Like "ok now I'm done" whew glad that's over, now I can get on to those little statues my wife likes so much. That would require the removal of some part of the brain, "that I am not familiar with. You can't have too much money by most people’s standard, mainly because then you couldn't buy more guns, so there you go, a perfectly logical answer to your question. Next time you see a drunk, ask him if he thinks he had enough now, or a stamp collector or a car collector, you don't just wake up one morning and say I think I will give up the 1 out of 2 or 3 things that give me pleasure, unless you plan on going to study with the monks, and they may even like to look at some amazing craftsmanship themselves. I hope I helped answer your question, compare it to the next time you see a beautiful sunset or a gorgeous girl in a bikini walk by, and imagine giving that up.

THe Dove
November 7, 2010, 12:59 PM
AMEN gym!!!! Nicely put!!!

The Dove

rocky branch
November 7, 2010, 01:47 PM
I don't justify nuthin' it's still a free country, mostly, and I do things that please me and don't hurt anybody.
Guns are lots cooler than beanie babies.

mljdeckard
November 7, 2010, 01:48 PM
I really wouldn't. I don't keep more guns than I have the time and money to stay proficient with.

Perhaps when I have more money, my views will change. :)

ConstitutionCowboy
November 7, 2010, 02:34 PM
As stated, my first justification is to satisfy an urge. My number two justification is to keep up with my wife's gun purchases.

Woody

Carl N. Brown
November 7, 2010, 02:39 PM
How do I justify my book collection?

How do I justify my music collection?

How does my wife justify her stuffed animal collection?

Really now people, who NEEDS more than one electric train set? or camera? or dead horse to beat?

"Why do you NEED more than one gun?" usually marks a person who might justify owning a gun as a weapon of defense and sees something sinister in wanting more than one gun.

Zombiphobia
November 7, 2010, 03:04 PM
my wife has already told me I own "too many".

I replied, "No, honey, I do not. Having too many guns is like having too much money, or enjoying life too much, or even too much wisdom. You can't have too many guns."

But I also told her if it came down to me having having too much of anything, and anyting had to go, two things I will never give up for a personal relationship are guns and my dogs. None of them tell me I have too much love so YOU'VE got to go...

yeti
November 7, 2010, 03:30 PM
This is my thought process when I am justifying a new addition

Do I want the gun
Can I obtain the gun
Can afford the gun
Is there room to keep gun
Can/will the gun fit through my door
Go get Gun

And there are ways to get around #'s 3 -5 if necessary.

Iggy
November 7, 2010, 03:49 PM
Justification?
I don't have one of those yet, or
I've been looking for one of those for 40 years.

Nuff sed.

kayak-man
November 7, 2010, 04:01 PM
I remember trying to justify both a 1911 and a GLOCK 26. I justified one of my shotguns as a car gun. I've learned that when you try to justify your guns though, you end thinking "I need a gun for such-and-such," not "I really want a .22 rifle, how can I justify it." YMMV. It ended up with me thinking "I need a car gun," and then choosing the best car gun I could find. In retrospect, I would have rather saved my money, and been able to buy a gun that I would enjoy more, instead of a single shot 12 guage.

Now, I just admit that I have an addiction.

daorhgih
November 7, 2010, 04:08 PM
NO-OBODY cleans a weapon as well as a spouse who loves to shoot!! When I collect one, she gets to collect one. Personally, it's $$$ situation. I opted for a diesel generator for this winter, and she wanted a O/U 12-gauge. We are both happy. Nothing can make an man as happy as a happy wife ! ! !

HOWARD J
November 7, 2010, 04:51 PM
We owned 4 houses since we have been together.
I have owned 46 guns
Good marriage--good houses--mostly good guns
Any more stupid questions----i'll give you more stupid answers..........................:eek::):):eek:

yongxingfreesty
November 7, 2010, 04:57 PM
if i want it and it appeals to me in some way, then im gonna try to get it. i prefer quality over quantity and dont want any cheap junk. ive had to reset my collection many times. trying to go all wood, to all black, to two tone with wood to all black, then back to wood. now im into the tan and od...

wrs840
November 7, 2010, 05:10 PM
As time passes, my awareness of the need for more application-specific tools expands. :D

Les

Sauer Grapes
November 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
I don't have a large collection. I've thought, if I had money to burn I'd probably have a couple hundred.
I've actually sold off a 1\2 dozen or so. People collect all kinds of "stuff."

Zach S
November 7, 2010, 05:34 PM
I have quite a few guns, and most have their purpose, even if they were short-lived. Take my short 1911s for example, I bought them to be carry guns, and they were used as such, before I realized that I could carry a 5" just as easily.

There are very few guns I've bought "just 'cuz." My semi-auto Thompsons would definitely be two of them. My AR45 another.

I could justify my Kahr P9, as I was looking for a used K9 at the time, but to be honest, I bought the P9 because my wife wanted one - and then she walked out on our daughter and I. So I bought the pistol she wanted for me, just out of spite. I enjoy that P9 immensely, and have yet to buy a K9...

Coolbreeze8804
November 7, 2010, 07:12 PM
I did all the things that I was supposed to do as a younger man, and now I reap the benefits of that appropriate behaviour. Two of those benefits are living in a free country and having the income to buy and own whatever the hell I want to.

BLACKHAWKNJ
November 7, 2010, 07:14 PM
Collecting guns is no different than collecting coins, stamps, artwork, etc.

mdug59
November 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
Deep philosophical questions like the one posted here are restricted to conversations between your significant other and only at the appropriate time....you should never try to justify anything with your loved one until you hold an advantage ...that is, he or she has indulged in too much alcohol....they are too tired to argue....or they messed up big time.Then you may proceed with caution.

mdug59
November 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
After rereading the OP I may have also missed the intent of the original question about how do we justify to ourselves....well this has a simple answer also...nobody here has to justify large gun collections because we are never wrong....and I dare anyone to claim otherwise.

murdoc rose
November 7, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have no qualms about buying guns I like if the price is agreeable at the time. If for some reason I don't like it I can always sell it, while it may not be the best investment its more fun than money in the bank, more liquid than real estate, and more useful than a safe full of gold.

bushmaster1313
November 7, 2010, 09:16 PM
Simple economics
If the fun of buying another gun I do not need exceeds the cost and I have the money.
For example:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/new%20five/CIMG0051_0001.jpg

logical
November 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
A lot of the responses here come across as very defensive. I don't think the OP was asking the question some of the responses are answering.
I personally did get to the point a while back where I spent a few years buying and selling a lot to the point where I had most of the "bases" covered with guns I really liked. I'm not dead set against buying more but I've simply lost interest in adding just for the sake of adding to the pile. It's not just guns either, I just plain have too much "stuff"....maybe recently going through the process of cleaning out a few houses full of relatives "accumulation" has something to do with it.

Phydeaux642
November 7, 2010, 10:10 PM
A lot of the responses here come across as very defensive. I don't think the OP was asking the question some of the responses are answering.
I personally did get to the point a while back where I spent a few years buying and selling a lot to the point where I had most of the "bases" covered with guns I really liked. I'm not dead set against buying more but I've simply lost interest in adding just for the sake of adding to the pile. It's not just guns either, I just plain have too much "stuff"....maybe recently going through the process of cleaning out a few houses full of relatives "accumulation" has something to do with it.

Thank you. I think someone finally got it.

NoirFan
November 7, 2010, 11:21 PM
People seem to enjoy giving prickish responses to questions like this. I don't understand the collector's mentality, whether it's gun, knives, cars, figurines or anything else. For me guns are a means of acquiring functional skill in shooting, and any pride of ownership I feel comes from how well I can shoot, not the gun itself.

I have one .22 rifle. I know it can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. If I'm still limiting the rifle by shooting worse than that, why buy another .22?

I have one shotgun. If I've never taken it to a Thunder Ranch course and gotten as good as I can with it, why buy another shotgun?

I have one revolver. It's my go-to defense gun. If I can't shoot it as well as Jim Cirillo, why buy another revolver?

ms6852
November 8, 2010, 01:02 AM
I don't need to justify the large quantities of weapons I own, until I run out of room and have to kick the wife out of the house.

Carl N. Brown
November 8, 2010, 06:52 AM
How do I justify, in my own mind, a large gun collection?

Some have memories of good times with my father, stepdad, my kids, my grandson. Some are gifts with more sentimental value than anything else. Almost like justifying a collection of family photos or souvenirs of vacations past.

One example: I had to sell my first Marlin .30-30 to make a house payment. My stepdad arranged a trade of a CVA kentucky rifle I hade built for a .303 Lee-Enfield; that Christmas he bought me a .303 Lee Loader kit. I mostly target practiced with it, but did carry it on a deer hunting trip with my oldest son. I later bought a replacement Marlin .30-30, but kept the .303 maybe as a backup, but mostly the gun and loader kit as a sentimental thing.

Besides, having a large collection (or accumulation) often means the individual guns are in a nice home, not abandoned, hanging around street corners, getting into trouble.

Carl N. Brown
November 8, 2010, 06:58 AM
Noirfan (I have one .22....) reminds me of the old warning: in a shooting match, never bet against the one-gun man: he probably knows and can shoot that one gun better than the guy who brags about a cabinet full of guns.

doubleh
November 9, 2010, 10:45 AM
I don't try to justify owning guns, however many, at all. I don't consider them tools either. To me they are simply things I like and enjoy just like knives and a few other things that I could get by without or only owning one. If I see one I want to play with and can afford it I buy it. Some get traded after a time when I decide it's time for a new toy because I'm tired of that particular one. I don't try to justify anyone else's collection either. That's your business, not mine.

Don't forget the old saying "He who dies with the most toys wins'. It can be guns, cars, etc. :cool: Enjoy.

HGUNHNTR
November 9, 2010, 10:50 AM
Unlike some folks I try to keep my "collection" pared down to what I need or what I enjoy to shoot regularly. Anything that doesn't fit into either category is excess to me and is liquidated. I do have a bit of a problem "collecting" ammunition however, I see ammo as the commodity to have in bulk, not firearms.

Rshooter
November 9, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have maybe twenty or more guns and I shoot them all. I currently have as many as I can afford to buy or shoot. Therefore I believe I have hit my limit. Unless I win the lottery! :what:

gym
November 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
I don't see why guns should be any different than any other hobby or interest. Does the stamp collector say I think I have enough stamps, or even the little lady who collects porcilin ducks, say that's it enough with the ducks, or the trekkies think, "I sure don't need those spock ears I already have 3 other sets". No they don't, unfortunitlly we all aren't like "Jay Leno", where he can afford to buy anything he wants. But if you scale it down it's just an interest some of us have in a hobby , thats all, there is no limit, only your decision on what is enough for you. Some of us who have been eyeballing guns for 5 or 6 decades, don't choose to "give up" just like others want to follow their choice of what interests them. Why should you put a limit on something you enjoy, If you can't afford it then you don't buy it. I never saw a guy go bankrupt for buying too many guns, if he did he probablly bought too much of everything, Heck 1 boat is going to cost more than most gun collections, and no one is asking that guy if he thinks he has enough boats. Or a good custom watch or a Briani suit goes for 2 grand or more, some guys have 10 or more of those suits and watches, why are guns any different. I save up, sometimes for a year or more if there is some firearm I want. Then half the time I changed my mind or saw something I liked better. I found in life there are very few things that make a man happy, other than for an hour or two, so you may as well try and enjoy the time that you are here. Too many people get swept away before their time to worry about this type of nonsense.

taozen79
November 9, 2010, 12:51 PM
Possible Zombie uprising.

content
November 9, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // My friends don't judge me or my choices too harshly. I guess that is why they are my friends.

I have had other folks refer to the "arsenal" when I added a Marlin 336 to my other "3" firearms. namely a Marlin 60 .22 rifle, Stoger Luger .22 pistol and a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga.

I have many friends with multiple firearms, some hunters, some shooters, some collectors.
We talk about their pros and cons but never really get into numbers.

Heck, I think I have over twenty .22s, counting handguns and rifles. Half a dozen +.357s and at least a dozen shotguns. Total handguns,shotguns and rifles? I'm not sure.
I am sure others have vastly larger collections.
I do shoot all but four of them, three unfired and one too old (dangerous).

I like what I like, that is all the justification needed. Especially if it is a bargin.:D

forindooruseonly
November 9, 2010, 03:33 PM
The OP asked this:

I have to say that my shooting lifestyle is collecting. I like not only shooting, but the guns themselves. I like the finish and craftsmanship that goes into them. I like the design, the innovation over the years, ect. I like it when I find a hundred year old gun that is nearly mint, as if it had sat in a drawer for years till it came into my possession. I am holding a piece of the past, something that is representative of a bygone era that we will never see again.

Collecting is hard to explain. Some see it as some type of compulsive disorder, hoarding or whatnot, if not just conspicuous consumption. Its even harder to describe when there is no rhyme or reason to what you are buying. Really, I buy guns because I enjoy shooting different types of firearms, and if I don't buy them I'm not going to have the opportunity to do that. Go to your local range and try to rent something old or out of the ordinary. Its not going to happen. I enjoy different and diverse guns enough to want to shoot them and handle them on a regular basis, but that opportunity isn't there unless I collect. Certainly, some get sold when I decide I don't like them, but its not necessarily a function of feeling like I have to limit the number of guns I own.

gym
November 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
It's funny how some people feel that the fact that that they feel that they have enough of something should somehow influence what anyone else feels or likes or wants. If you like having 3 guns and all your "bases" are covered, God bless. But who are you to assume that what you want, have, or did, has any bearing at all on what others decide is their business.
I hate to bring in poor "Jay Leno" twice in one day, but do you think he has enough cars.
He dosen't, I think he has all the "bases covered", Steam engine, several Fire Engines" hundreds of cool cars that he enjoys. So why are guns different? Because you are looking to get reactions from people? Or because you just don't understand that communism no longer is practiced in even those countries that invented it. The theory that everyone must conform to a standard set by some arbitrary group is gone and done,although there always exist those who are narrowminded and feel that their way is the best way. It ain't like that here. We can discuss differences, that is a healthy thing, but you don't get to put a cap on what peole can and canot have, or set a rule saying that if you don't shoot it, you don't need or shouln't have it. Look in your closet, do you wear all the shirts you own? that's why last time I checked this was still a free country, the same one that offers you the right to your opinion, but please don't expect people in a firearms forum to not collect firearms, that is just silly.

monet61
November 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this topic.
I don't have a large collection by most assesments, although my wife would probably disagree! That in itself is pretty funny, cause she has probably gifted me more over the years than I have bought myself.
I have about 10 that I would absolutely never part with. The others I may like, but mostly I just try to teach myself to tear them down and put 'em back together.(And have them work). Sometimes I am successful and sometimes my friend the gunsmith has to help me. After that, they're just trading material.
Anyway, thanks for the interesting read.

Hot brass
November 10, 2010, 12:51 AM
You only live once.

dejzebmoorbn
November 10, 2010, 05:03 AM
I really don't feel the need, personally, to justify my collection... probably because I also have far less than 1500.

I do occasionally have to justify my next purchase, but I can usually reason that out by not investing in more conventional (not to mention volatile) things like the stock market or commodities. I do think of a gun collection (with a representative ammo selection) as an investment, but not in the sense that I plan to sell anything.

If things get ugly, whether or not society collapses (admittedly unlikely), I like knowing I'll have a few firearms for myself and a few more to share with friends and family. They may not want them now (and indeed they don't), but times change.

Reading the initial post, however, gave me an idea. If I, too, should pass unexpectedly it might be nice to have reasonable price ranges listed for each of my pieces in the event that my family decides to sell them. I'll get on that list.

Blackhawk30
November 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
I satisfy my addiction for new guns by selling the old ones.:cool:

omegaflame
November 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
"I'll do whatever I want, thanks."

kludge
November 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
People justify things they do that are wrong.

I don't need to justify anything.

LoadandShoot
November 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'll justify my gun collection when Al Gore justifies all of his jet airplanes and energy gluttonous mansions while telling us we need to stop using petroleum and turn our thermostates to 65 F.

therewolf
November 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
There's always somebody who's going to ignore their own faults while pointing around and saying "Lookit over there what he did!"

"It's a free country." is the only justification I need for my gun collection.

Old krow
November 16, 2010, 07:38 PM

I'm sort of a utilitarian when it comes to guns. There are guns that are useful and guns for plinking. All of the useful guns should be acquired first. After that, it sort of goes into "hobby status." It's partially based on entertainment (because shooting long distances is fun), partially something that can be passed on to my kids, and some because they're holding their value.

I consider proficiency to be one of the return on investments with firearms, so any gun that I may buy after the "useful" gun are bought should not prevent me from being able to continue to shoot on a regular basis. I buy more ammo than guns, like Rshooter, I think that's where I will find my ceiling too.

I don't see why guns should be any different than any other hobby or interest. Does the stamp collector say I think I have enough stamps, or even the little lady who collects porcilin ducks,

There is no difference. If we were in a stamp forum the question would have read the same as the original except guns would have been replaced with stamps. The OP was just asking how we "justified" it. I justify every purchase I make one way or the other.

ChCx2744
February 5, 2011, 11:36 PM
I, personally, believe that "enough" is:
1) Having at least 1 "all-around/multi-role" pistol (I.E. mid to high cap CC or HD pistol in .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .357, 10mm, etc.) *Bold-faced because this is the most important gun any gun owner should own, the basic of the basic, the most necessary of all necessities gun-related needs*
2) After full-filling criteria 1, having at least 1 "all-around/multi-role" shotgun (I.E. a pump or semi in 12-ga, 20-ga, etc.)
3) After full-filling criteria 1 & 2, having at least 1 "all-around/multi-role" rifle (I.E. semi-auto rifle in .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, etc.)
4) After full-filling criteria 1-3, having at least 1 rifle chambered in .22
5) After full-filling criteria 1-4, having at least 1 pistol chambered in .22
6) After full-filling criteria 1-5, having at least 1 "Hiking/trail" revolver/wheel gun (I.E. in .44mag, 10mm, .454 casul, etc.)
7) After full-filling criteria 1-6, having at least 1 hunting/long-range/precision rifle (I.E. a scoped, bolt-action in .270, 7mm, .308, .30-06, etc.)

Anything else is not necessarily "necessary." Anything else is an impulse buy or considered a "fun gun."

bsheets20061
February 6, 2011, 12:04 AM
No such thing as too many as long as you have the area to keep it. So no justficiation needed :)

gamestalker
February 6, 2011, 11:42 PM
No, not ever!

Ignition Override
February 7, 2011, 12:27 AM
Maybe nine or ten is not large.

Frankly, too many people have ruined/made permanent alterations to milsurps (Enfields etc), and I want to protect them. Maybe part of it is selfishness.

Another reason is that there might not be many more imports, and although Canada Now allows imports of the Russian SKS, our govt. might not ever allow this.
Some British/western Euro "arms control" organizations are dead set against such exports, and even pay countries to destroy surplus rifles (and ammo), even bolt-action types from WW2.

The third reason is that the CMP's Garands, even though many were built in the 50s, are our American heritage.

Black Butte
February 7, 2011, 01:06 AM
CMP's Garands, even though many were built in the 50s, are our American heritage.

Now our anointed leader is forbidding Americans access to that heritage. Read for yourself:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/01/obama-administration-reverses-course-forbids-sale-antique-m-rifles/

Anti-Second Amendment groups are doing cartwheels at Obama's decision to block the importation of our own rifles.

RustHunter87
February 7, 2011, 01:46 AM
Some British/western Euro "arms control" organizations are dead set against such exports, and even pay countries to destroy surplus rifles (and ammo), even bolt-action types from WW2.
that makes me want to cry
as for guns i only have 2 that are truly mine but Im sure I need at lest 15 more before i could even think of being satisfied and the list grows sometimes daily, many are milsurp and the cheaper the better those guns are at the lest good parts

destroy a gun on purpose that just crazy, Send um my way, its the mechanical aspect of it for me, some guys like cars some guys collect snowmobiles or bikes, but me i like guns

i almost enjoy going over a new (to me) gun and finding each models secrets as i do shooting it, and if i find one that fascinates me fills a niche or works flawlessly i just gotta have it
some sadly i will never get for monetary or legal reason/loop holes really a $200 tax stamp that's a gun a year! and i for one believe you can never have to many:evil:

Wedge
February 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
Looks like this thread has been around for a while.

For everything I collect or do, I need to have a specific reason/purpose to own something and always look for maximum value. I personally would never be able to justify a huge collection of anything that I wasn't.

WhistlinDixie
February 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
I like them. Thats my justification. I have a large amount of knives, because I like them. I probably only use 3 regularly. I had, at one point, a large amount of paintball markers. I only used 1 or 2 in tournaments regularly. If something brings you enjoyment, and you can afford and store said items, and it's a legal hobby, then why justify it?

jspence
February 17, 2011, 09:39 PM

What is a large gun collection? Generally now I buy because I can. At one time that wasn't true - and I missed out on some great pieces.

And when I'm gone my heirs may have a treasure trove.

jbs/

FROGO207
February 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Never met a firearm that I did not get along with. Women now that's a whole different matter.:banghead: Now let me get this straight---YOU HAVE TO JUSTIFY A FIREARM PURCHASE???? WOW:what: Guess that I am fortunate in that if I have the $$$$ with me then it's a done deal when I want a new toy. It helps to be older, single, and have no children.:D

Cmiller21b
February 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
I dont have to justify anything! If I like and can afford it, I get it! What's to justify?

oldbear
February 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
I dont have to justify anything! If I like and can afford it, I get it! What's to justify?

+1, the only thing I would add is as long as all of your/our other $$ needs are met and the family has what they need. GO FOR IT!!

slabuda
February 18, 2011, 02:10 AM
Well for me, when I cant remember what I have then I have too many. Or maybe just dont shoot them enough ;)

iamkris
February 18, 2011, 07:30 AM
I have around 120 firearms...haven't counted lately. When I actually get to the point that I believe I have a large collection, I'll answer this thread to say how I justify it.

Until then, the answer to the question of "how many do you have?" is always "not enough".

JohnM
February 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
I haven't read through this whole thread, way too long, but yeah, what's to justify?
If you can afford it, your family isn't in rags and all that; collect to your hearts content.
I have friends with hundreds, my pockets aren't deep enough, but I get another whenever I can.

SpeedAKL
February 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
I decided a little while back that I wouldn't collect for collecting's sake in the name of financial stewardship. Each gun I own or plan to buy either has a purpose or is there because I want to shoot it a lot.

velojym
February 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
The question I'd ask: How does one justify denying anyone's ability to own their choice of goods and property, so long as they don't harm others?

Jonah71
February 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm single now. If I can afford the gun I don't need to worry about justification. But I'll admit I did have a problem with impulse buys for awhile.

Sediment
February 18, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm single now. If I can afford the gun I don't need to worry about justification. But I'll admit I did have a problem with impulse buys for awhile.

Almost sounds like a substance abuse answer instead of a firearms related one. :D

I justify my collection of 20+ simply because I want to own them. Whether it's for plinking, sharpshooting, fun, or simply to collect.

Each gun I own has it's purpose, and with each one it comes it's reason for me to own it.

rugerman
February 18, 2011, 04:28 PM
Don't have to yet, I'm just a little past the 50 mark.

lightman
February 18, 2011, 05:32 PM
I don't try to justify things like that.My wife and I take care of our business,pay our bills,and contribute to a retirement plan.The kids are grown,educated,and out on their own(not really). After the bills are paid,I may buy a gun or two if I want to.Or buy jewelry(for her),if I want to.We're not rich,but we act responsible and live within our means,and have become comfortable with our lot.If we just made more money! Lightman

AZ Lawman
February 18, 2011, 05:36 PM
I don't see a need to justify my collection to myself or anyone. I worked hard, I collected smartly, and built a nice collection.

Why should my collection of guns need justification any more than my collection of fishing tackle or horse paraphernalia?

oneounceload
February 18, 2011, 05:37 PM

The same way my wife justifies all of her shoes and purses.......:D

Vyacheslav
February 18, 2011, 06:07 PM
the only justification i need is that i want it, i make impulse buys all the time and i am happy with them. i have researched and had enough experience with firearms that i can tell if its junk or not so impulse buys aren't a problem. like someone above mentioned, i like to buy all original old milsurps, especially bolt actions, just so a bubba doesn't get them and fudd them up, and i almost never shoot them. i get plenty of enjoyment out of them from just looking at them and appreciating the history

Jonah71
February 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
Almost sounds like a substance abuse answer instead of a firearms related one. :D

I justify my collection of 20+ simply because I want to own them. Whether it's for plinking, sharpshooting, fun, or simply to collect.

Each gun I own has it's purpose, and with each one it comes it's reason for me to own it.
Sediment....I think there's a lot of truth to that substance abuse theory lol. Guns and shooting can become addictive. If not for the high price of ammo I'd shoot 4-5 days a week or more. As it is, most of my time on the range is spent firing my CCW weapons only. I miss taking my old wheel guns out for the day and just blasting away. I'd have to win the lottery.

bikerdoc
February 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
Bill Paid- yep

Savings acount fed.- yep

Money left over= yep

See something I want - yep

If you enjoyed reading about "How Do You Justify, In Your Mind, Large Gun Collections?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!