Percentage of gun malfunctions due to modification and improper ammo usage?

PDA

stchman
July 1, 2010, 07:20 PM
Does anyone have any articles that detail this?

I have read in the past that 95% of all firarms malfunctions were the result of improper ammo and people "improving" them.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Percentage of gun malfunctions due to modification and improper ammo usage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hatterasguy
July 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
That sounds about right, junk mags cause a lot of problems to.

Winger Ed.
July 1, 2010, 08:10 PM
From what I've seen:
Folks hacking around modifying a firearm doesn't lead to it simply malfunctioning.
If anything bad happens afterward- its usually ruined or at least severly damaged.
I have a hard time calling this sort of thing a malfunction. I tend to see it as willful destruction.

Most malfunctions that are due to the gun itself not working properly-
is almost always from it being taken apart and not put back together correctly.
Although it doesn't work, its not destroyed, and can be fixed without having to replace any- or perhaps not too many parts.

fastbolt
July 1, 2010, 11:02 PM
Never heard it explained that way.

Of course, most of my training and experience has been from the perspective of LE firearms training and training as an armorer for some of the different firearms systems.

The explanation I've usually heard in firearm & armorer classes, and among other firearms instructors & armorers, is that typically over 90% of all malfunctions are caused in some manner by the shooter, followed by a very small percentage of ammunition-related issues and then by an even smaller percentage of actual gun-related problems (comprising 2-3%).

Now, of the "shooter-induced" problems that usually surface, it can probably be argued that skills/technique issues exceed others ... doing something that doesn't support the normal, intended operation of the firearm (improper grip, interfering with the operating controls or component movement, short-stroking triggers, poor maintenance, etc) ... but with the urge to "modify, improve & refine" nonetheless creating problems, especially with folks who can't resist "improving" their 1911 or Glock, or performing some ritualistic polishing or "Fluff & Buff". :uhoh:

Factor in some firearms and components of lesser quality (magazines & ammunition, for example) and you can probably skew things, though.

Just my thoughts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Percentage of gun malfunctions due to modification and improper ammo usage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!