What to do with my $300

PDA

kd7nqb
July 2, 2010, 10:09 PM
So its birthday time again in with some cash gifts plus some other extra cash I have about $300 to play with at the gun store. Of course there are LOTS of things I want but I have it narrowed down and now I would like some input from the board.

Option 1: Ruger LCP- I already have a full size carry gun but have had the pocket pistol itch for a while and now my local gun store has one of the custom engraved slide LCP's in stock (and its calling my name)

Option 2: H&R Handi-Rifle in .308, right now my deer/ bear/ anything big gun is my Mosin M44 and my mosin is HEAVY the Handi-rifle is nice from what I can tell and from a prior thread I started on it comes recommended.

Option 3: Ruger 10/22- alright this is the most "fun" of the options but I dont have a semi auto .22lr rifle and I would like one

Option 4: ammo for the guns I already have, (least fun but maybe most practical)

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with my $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tallinar
July 2, 2010, 10:12 PM
In light of option 4 being an option at all, I vote for:

Option 5: Reloading equipment for the guns you already have.

Take the plunge while you have some cash to get into it. You'll not regret it.

bri
July 2, 2010, 10:13 PM
My vote is 10/22 and a couple bricks of ammo. Everyone needs a .22 rifle.

Nushif
July 2, 2010, 10:15 PM
I voted 4 because Ammo lets me shoot, but 300 bucks will buy a single caliber progressive press. *le nod*

W.E.G.
July 2, 2010, 10:33 PM
buy ammo

Zoidberg523
July 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
I voted for the H&R (though it could be any of the other well made sub-$300 deer rifles), on the basis that I too have pulled around an M44 for deer hunting, and it is relatively unpleasant. Not to mention the odd (and undeserved) stares from other hunters who regard the attached bayonet with something less than enthusiasm.

wuluf
July 2, 2010, 10:59 PM
I voted for the LCP 'cause i want one! I can't carry legally, but i still want one!!

Ammo's good too.....

toddyboman
July 2, 2010, 11:12 PM
Reloading equipment would be fun.....but of your OPTIONS I would take the 10/22 option. I have lots of fun with mine. And its your b-day so buy a toy. You can buy more ammo at all the time ;)

Happy B-Day by the way :D

Warhawk83
July 2, 2010, 11:34 PM
I had an LCP and after nearly a year and finishing 3,count em 3, boxes of ammo I sold it. You will pay a premium for rare,practically non existent ammo.

I voted for the H&R so you don't have to lug that beast of a Mosin around.

inSight-NEO
July 2, 2010, 11:48 PM
I voted for the Ruger 10/22. Fun plinking at a low cost. What is not to love? However, more ammo is never a bad thing. After all, a gun without ammo to feed is nothing more than a safe queen or a nice conversation piece, at best.

TexasPatriot.308
July 2, 2010, 11:51 PM
nowadays $300 aint buying much.

Zoidberg523
July 3, 2010, 02:08 AM
nowadays $300 aint buying much.

AMEN!

kd7nqb
July 3, 2010, 02:36 AM
Well gosh, I hate to drift my own thread but will $300 even make a dent in a reloading set up? It always seemed like a hobby that took 700+ to get into.

RevolvingCylinder
July 3, 2010, 02:37 AM
In light of option 4 being an option at all, I vote for:

Option 5: Reloading equipment for the guns you already have.

Take the plunge while you have some cash to get into it. You'll not regret it.

This is the best option. It will save you money in the long run and make you a more knowledgeable and better equipped shooter.

RevolvingCylinder
July 3, 2010, 02:40 AM
Well gosh, I hate to drift my own thread but will $300 even make a dent in a reloading set up? It always seemed like a hobby that took 700+ to get into.
You can get started with Lee's Anniversary Kit:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1278135485.4133=/html/catalog/anivers.html

$150. It's how I got started years ago but it was cheaper then and didn't come with the quick change bushing.

After that all you need are the dies and components(bullets, cases, primers, powder).

All the stuff I got in the kit are still going strong even though I upgraded since then.

rondog
July 3, 2010, 02:53 AM
Well, reloading equipment would be good, but that will start you down a road of more expenses. You'll need dies, scales, primers, powder, bullets, books, and more doodads and geegaws than you can imagine, at least you'll WANT more. It's a great aspect of the hobby, making ammo is fun and does lessen the expense somewhat, but it is expensive in the big picture unless you're really disciplined to control yourself. I'm not, personally.

Ammo is always good, but once you shoot it it's gone, and so's the money. But what good are guns if you can't shoot them?

AFA the M44, nobody said hunting was supposed to be easy, right? I can't see an M44 being any heavier than a Remington 700 or Winchester M70, or most any other large bolt rifle. Not so sure I'd want to hunt with a single-shot either, or recommend it.

Ruger 10/22? I have two of them, and I wouldn't recommend one to an enemy. Jammingest little bastards I've ever owned. A gun shouldn't need to be tweaked and tinkered with to make it run reliably. A .22 for fun is a good idea, but I'd steer you away from the 10/22. JMHO.

Ruger LCP? I'm not really sure what that is, a .380? Not so sure I'd recommend that either. That sounds like a "want" rather than a "need", which isn't all bad, but may not be the best choice for limited funds.

Personally, I'd weed it down to ammo or a .22 rifle. It's hard to beat a good .22 rifle for sheer fun and enjoyment, but not one that jams constantly or needs "better parts" to run right. I'm also a big fan of used guns, might stretch your money a little farther.

BearAZ737
July 3, 2010, 03:02 AM
I'd buy ammo, and there are sure to be some 4th of July sales this weekend!

SIGP250
July 3, 2010, 05:50 AM
Don't let the cash burn a hole in your pocket. Save it for a rainy day or until you have enough to buy a keeper.

Second choice would be the LCP but even FMJ is still over priced and it is not meant to be a fun gun.

Deus Machina
July 3, 2010, 06:04 AM
Save it, put it aside until you find that $700 gun that would fill a black hole in the safe.

Or, my personal opinion, hit the pawn shops, and get a Marlin and a brick of .22 for $100, and put the rest into a caliber or two of reloading equipment.

Really, unless you plan to modify it, Marlin's equivalents to a 10/22 are much nicer rifles for much less money. Just my opinion.

bigfatdave
July 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
Not owning a rimfire rifle is a travesty, fix that and save money in the future by having less expensive range sessions.

Rxster
July 3, 2010, 07:25 AM
Either the 10/22 or reloading equipment. You will get more training with either choice.

bannockburn
July 3, 2010, 08:20 AM
I voted for the Ruger 10/22; most reliable, accurate, and cost effective firearm purchase I ever made.

After that, I would opt for reloading equipment and more ammo.

murdoc rose
July 3, 2010, 08:50 AM
I voted ammo because I didn't like the other options. The reloading set looked like a great buy imo. Btw he said he didn't have a semi 22 implying that he has other 22s. marlin 60s are far cheaper for about the same thing, not a huge fan of the 10/22s clip either. If you looking for a deer rifle there's lots out there for under 300 that will be lighter than the mosin and tbh far more useful than a single shot in 308.

dagger dog
July 3, 2010, 09:01 AM
kd,

I have the hots for a Handi-Rifle, so thats the way I voted.

308 Win. 7.62 Nato when the ammo pricing gets back to reality you will have that surplus.

The single shot rifle demands the first shot to be where it counts, unless your hunting a buffalo or musk ox stand !

dbb1776
July 3, 2010, 10:29 AM
Reloading equipment! Shop around and buy any Clean used reloading equipment you find.
I just bought a Forster case trimmer for 25 bucks.
Check ebay

Chemist
July 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
Save it...

heron
July 3, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ammo.

wally
July 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
I voted ammo, and would count reloading equipment and supplies as investing in ammo.

Although the way the economy is going, saving it might indeed be the best advice!

Hawthorne2k
July 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
E: A CZ-82, extra mag and practice and self-defense ammo (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6493088&postcount=51)
:)

RDCL
July 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
cleaning supplies, ammo, etc.....

....or just keep saving to have MORE play money.

....or use it for a layaway deposit:)

RevolvingCylinder
July 3, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ruger 10/22? I have two of them, and I wouldn't recommend one to an enemy. Jammingest little bastards I've ever owned. A gun shouldn't need to be tweaked and tinkered with to make it run reliably. A .22 for fun is a good idea, but I'd steer you away from the 10/22. JMHO.
My 10/22 never malfunctioned. I've fired plenty of HV and match and never had an issue. I use Butler Creek Steel Lips and Ruger factory magazines.

You will find that my experience is typical of the 10/22 owner. If my Ruger had the problems you were having it would have immediately been sent to Ruger for free repair.

eatont9999
July 3, 2010, 01:41 PM
I would go with the 10/22 unless you are not opposed to reloading equipment. Reloading is the best investment I have made in the shooting sports. You really can save a lot of money by reloading. You also have more money for more GUNS!

Wildbillz
July 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Kd
I would first vote for a quality reloading setup. This would allow you to feed your other guns as well as the any you would get later on. You can get a good single stage setup for less then $300 I would think. I like the RCBS stuff but thats just my preferance. The Rockchucker press would be my first choise.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=2656&dir=210|211|249

But I started and loaded for 23 years on a Reloaders Special setup.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=2658&dir=210|211|249

With eather of the two sets you could make most any sort of ammo. It might be slow but you would get to learn the process and tailor your loads to your guns. You would still need to add a set of dies and some componants (bullets, brass, primers and powder) to eather of these. But you can find used ones as low as $15.00 if you keep looking. Depending on Caliber you might find a kind soul that would flat out give you one.

If you don't mind used stuff you could find most of the parts on E-bay and might be able to get it for a good bit less. The Reloader Sp press seem to go real cheap on there. The Rock Ch not so much.

After the reloading gear I would vote the 1022 if you don't have a 22 rifle.

Just my .02 on it
Wild Bill:)

JTH
July 3, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'd access my ammo situation first. If your weapons say rifle-7.62X39mm, pistol- 9mm/.45, shot gun 12ga.and everyone needs a a good .22 rifle. Try to keep your weapons that shoot common calibers and make sure you have a big stash of ammo in varying calibers of what you have.

The reloading equipment is a good idea but if you have a bunch of guns of varying calibers, you may want to consider selling some of them and turn that over into cash for your ammo situation. Weapons with NO ammo is a club.
JT

JEB
July 3, 2010, 02:19 PM
go for the .22 but not the 10/22. i have never had a good experience with them.

i would look hard at the marlin model 60. just my preference, YMMV

kd7nqb
July 4, 2010, 01:35 AM
So I went into the gun store today didn't buy anything but did handle the engraved LCP. I really like it, not sure if its worth the extra $25 for the engraved slide but I think it really sets it apart from the mass amounts of LCPs out there. The handi-rifle is a nice as ever and the 10/22's are always cool.

As of yet no decision other than I thinking i am definitely going to go with a gun and not ammo or reloading stuff.

Also for the record I DO have a .22lr rifle just not an auto loader. I have an old Targetmaster from my grandpa that I love. I also have a model 60 but it doest really cycle even with CCI minimags, so its a safe queen for now.

CZ223
July 4, 2010, 08:56 AM
They all seem like good choices. You might also want to consider reloading equipment though $300 will barely get you started. It will buy you a decent single stage set-up but you will still need components. The LCP is a good pocket gun. I have two and they have been very reliable.

qajaq59
July 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
I would take some of it and invest in the ABCs of loading and a Lyman Loading Manual. After you read them you may want to spend the rest on some loading equipment?

fireside44
July 4, 2010, 09:15 AM
Build a blackpowder cannon.:)

zombienerd
July 4, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'd go for a .22LR Semi-auto rifle, but I'd skip the 10/22 and find a decent used rimfire in a local shop, you can find them for under $200 regularly, and will fill the gap wonderfully.

Best .22 I've ever shot still sits in my gun safe, it's a Sears Model 3T (Winchester 190) Tube magazine, holds 17 (or is it 18) shots, will fire them as fast as you can pull the trigger, very accurate, never ever jammed on me or my father in 40+ years of ownership between us. It's only been stripped and cleaned once or twice in its life (aside from a few drops of oil in the action and a barrel swap after each shooting)

crasen
July 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
I would say the Ruger LCP. I have a Kel Tec P3AT and I think it is more fun to shoot than my 10/22. 380 is generally $20 a box around here so it is not the cheapest to shoot but it is not too bad. If I want cheap plinking I generally shoot my Browning Buckmark.

lot21
July 4, 2010, 05:45 PM
Man I love "play" money. Two of my casual hobbies are guns and guitars, my play money does not last long.:D

I'd vote for the 10/22, or like one guy suggested, a Marlin 60.

killchain
July 4, 2010, 06:36 PM
Buy the Ruger 10/22.

You will never regret it.

brabham78
July 5, 2010, 02:36 AM
kd7nqb, everyone should have a true pocket gun in their carry gun line-up, (as opposed to some big lump that they like to call a pocket gun.) You'd be surprised how often you'd carry it. Get the LCP and a $15 DeSantis pocket holster, and you'll be all set. ;)

papa_bear
July 5, 2010, 02:46 AM
ally, unless you plan to modify it, Marlin's equivalents to a 10/22 are much nicer rifles for much less money. Just my opinion.

+1
I went with the 918t. Great gun for the money. can shoot 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle. Hold 18 rounds so you dont have to keep reloading

CaliCoastie
July 5, 2010, 09:11 AM
1. marlin 60, or 39a(if you can find one under 300.
2. marlin xl7
3 Reloading, if you dont have much space you can get lee's hand press, and a few reloading manuals.

The Bushmaster
July 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
Didn't like any of the firearms on your list. So I'd go with accessories and ammunition.

dougw47
July 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
I have several 10/22's...none of them would function with Stingers the case would bend and jam. With ALL the other ammo the have worked great.

My experience with Ruger's rifles has been hit or miss...generally won't buy them these days (77's)...but I have had a few that were great shooters. You buy one, you take your chances! Love those 10/22's though.

FTSESQ
July 5, 2010, 01:17 PM
If you don't have one, you need one. Infact, if you done have two I think you still might need one.:D

Seriously, everyone should have a .22 rifle, and the 10/22 is a fun .22 rifle. Plus, you could buy the rifle and will still have enough cash left over to buy a year or two's worth of ammo.

huntsman
July 5, 2010, 05:08 PM
#4 #1 as second choice.

64tinc
July 5, 2010, 05:14 PM
Check out Buds gunshop online and he has good deals on ATI AK 22 rifle that would be good practice for an AK rifle system. Also go look online for ammo, or just put it in the safe until you find online what you really want. Ruger is good for CCW but the .380 is a very expensive round right now. Just my .02

sonier
July 5, 2010, 06:18 PM
you cant live without a 10/22, ammo is cheap shooting is fun. my next choice wouldve been the .308, after getting your ruger look into relaoding ammo its cheap and you can shoot way more for the money you spend.

sonier
July 5, 2010, 06:21 PM
Ive read lot of comments about the 10/22, i dont know why people claim to have issues, i have ran about 10k rounds with my rifle and i have only cleaned it twice, the rifle hates certain ammo but loves cheapo value packs from federal it eats those federals like pez dispensors.

The_Pretender
July 5, 2010, 07:13 PM
Reloading is great, if you shoot a lot or shoot a lot of rare
or expensive calibers. I wouldn't bother trying to load for most semi-auto handgun calibers, as they are relatively cheap to begin with in stores. Not only that, if you don't plan on going that often, you'd be spending $3-400 easily on equipment and supplies just to save a couple bucks down the road.

I load for magnum handgun and any rifle larger than .30-30 save the .30
carbine, since it's hard to find for me. I like paying $12 for 50 .44 mags instead of $35. I wouldn't buy all the dies and components to make 50 9mm for $9-10 instead of $12 at the store. You also have to figure in the time spent.

Get your guns now while you can. You need the gun before
you need the ammo. If you have your heart set on the lcp, get it. If not, I'd suggest saving up for something more.

The_Pretender
July 5, 2010, 07:17 PM
Just to clarify, all I mean is that most would rather have the gun and need ammo than to not have the gun.

It's easier to go out and buy a box of rounds.

mh38sp
July 14, 2010, 02:03 AM
I have a 10 22 and love it never had any problems with it.

oldfool
July 15, 2010, 08:15 AM
obliged to agree with others who suggest a Marlin 60, and you will have enough left over to buy a few bricks of ammo to go with

everybody needs an affordable 22

(and you will not have to gamble on "luck of the draw" inherent to the Ruger 10/22 choice... I have never seen one yet that shot half decent out-of-the box, although some here obviously have... there is a reason they make 10/22s easy to rebuild)

PAPACHUCK
July 15, 2010, 08:18 AM
I picked option #2, just 'cause I got one and I love it.

I do agree with #4 though.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/PAPACHUCK/IMG_0277.jpg

searcher451
July 15, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure why you'd be asking us; only you can prevent forest fires, after all. But if you aren't sure about the purchase of your next actual firearm, then opt for ammo -- something that you can always use.

CoRoMo
July 15, 2010, 05:17 PM
Consider a few steel targets.

http://www.equistorage.com/kidd/targets/products.htm

http://www.equistorage.com/kidd/targets/image009.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with my $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!