The most (and least) armed states in the union (Daily Beast)

PDA

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 2, 2010, 10:49 PM
The Daily Beast just posted this. Based on the number of NICS checks last year, here are the rankings of the 50 states based on gun purchasing.

I find it fascinating how cleanly the single issue of gun ownership divides Americans and states into those two most familiar camps of "red state / blue state."

Here they are; enjoy.

1, Kentucky
Population:4,314,113
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents (Dec. 2008 May 2010): 134,028

2, Utah
Population:2,784,572
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 30,315

3, Montana
Population:974,989
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 25,745

4, Wyoming
Population:544,270
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 22,827

5, Alaska
Population:698,473
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 22,273

6, West Virginia
Population:1,819,777
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 21,455

7, South Dakota
Population:812,383
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 19,062

8, North Dakota
Population:646,844
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 17,829

9, Arkansas
Population:2,889,450
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 17,483

10, Alabama
Population:4,708,708
NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 16,860

Okay, that's the top ten.
To see the rest here's the link to the original article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-28/states-with-the-most-guns/).

enjoy,
KR

If you enjoyed reading about "The most (and least) armed states in the union (Daily Beast)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skinny 1950
July 2, 2010, 11:03 PM
I am from Canada ........What is a NICS background check?

lions
July 2, 2010, 11:13 PM

National Instant Criminal Background Check System

It is run every time a gun is purchased from a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer.

oneounceload
July 2, 2010, 11:13 PM
The instant background check they do so you can buy a gun

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 2, 2010, 11:14 PM

It's the holdout from the Clinton administration that is an "instant" background check for individuals purchasing a gun from a licensed dealer. You buy the gun, the dealer calls in your information, and you are:

A. cleared to purchase (you walk out the door with your new toy),
B. refused (someone somewhere thinks you have no business buying a gun), or
C. delayed (the same someone needs more time to decide if you're clear).

Of course individual states may have other laws that include waiting periods and so on.

P.S. I LOVE my state.
KR

ManDude
July 2, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hmm, I was kind of hoping to see Indiana somewhere on that list.

Hell, I can see Kentucky from my backyard! ;)

beeenbag
July 2, 2010, 11:47 PM
I love your state too Kentucky Rifleman!!!!! ;)

I don't think I have ever been more proud :D

G27RR
July 3, 2010, 12:00 AM
In Texas, you don't need a NICS check if the have a CHL, and there are quite a few CHL holders here, so I'm going to say that's got to be why we aren't in the top ten.

Ben Shepherd
July 3, 2010, 12:13 AM
n Texas, you don't need a NICS check if the have a CHL, and there are quite a few CHL holders here, so I'm going to say that's got to be why we aren't in the top ten.

Interesting. Utah is the same way, and given we are seen as the national clearing house for CCW permits, one has to wonder what that does to the true numbers.

Kentucky- 1.34 per resident? NICELY done!!!!:D

Officers'Wife
July 3, 2010, 12:19 AM
It's interesting that Illinois with it's FOID nonsense has more checks than my native Indiana.

Zoogster
July 3, 2010, 12:20 AM
I love your state too Kentucky Rifleman!!!!!

I don't think I have ever been more proud

Kentucky implemented monthly NICS checks on concealed weapons, which has inflated its numbers.

So you would have to obtain the total number of "concealed weapons" or concealed weapon permit holders in the state of Kentucky, multiply it by 17, and then subtract that number from the total to get an accurate comparison.

Concealed carry holders are being checked 12x a year according to the article. Even when not purchasing guns. The article covers 17 months.

As far as I know that is not even a legal use of the NICS system.

BeerSleeper
July 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
"As well, Kentucky implemented monthly NICS checks on concealed weapons, which has inflated its numbers"

explains the high score a bit...

Zoogster
July 3, 2010, 12:27 AM
Without knowing the number of concealed permits in Kentucky I cannot do the math, but I imagine it drops Kentucky several pegs down the ladder.

beeenbag
July 3, 2010, 12:30 AM
Im stickin to my guns guys...... I love Kentucky

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 3, 2010, 12:42 AM
Without knowing the number of concealed permits in Kentucky I cannot do the math, but I imagine it drops Kentucky several pegs down the ladder

The fact that the state does perform a monthly NICS check on all CCW holders does inflate our numbers some, but that is offset to some degree by the fact that we may well be the most gun-show-friendly state in the U.S. and that in Kentucky CCW holders need not have a NICS call in if we present our CCW at the time of purchase. The FFL simply finishes the form with our Kentucky CCW number and there is no NICS call.

I'm by no means the norm, but I personally have bought or traded into a gun a month or more for the past two years. That means even with the monthly NICS check, I am being under-calculated. I'm not the only one.

One last consideration is that we have the wholesaler Centerfire Systems based in Versailles, and they welcome walk-in sales, including long-gun transactions from non-residents (all FFL regulations being observed) and I know they do a huge volume of sales, plus Bud's is located here in Lexington. They won't do NICS checks for online sales, but they do enjoy a booming brick-and-mortar business.

Where does Kentucky REALLY fit on the list? I doubt if we're honestly moving more than one gun per Kentuckian every 17 months, but I do believe we'd still be in the top five states, regardless.

I'm proud of every state in the top 10.

For the rest of y'all, get crackin' ;)

I'm still going to "grin and share it" as far as the article goes though :D

KR

bensdad
July 3, 2010, 12:58 AM
That Kentucky number has to be a typo. Even if you drop the 1, they win. I find it completely impossible to believe that every person in KY had a NICS check (for purchase) 1.3 times in that period.

beeenbag
July 3, 2010, 01:05 AM
Kentucky Rifleman im with you..... in the last 8 months I've had 9 NICS checks ( just got my ccl june 6th) and am on my way tomorrow to purchase another, no NICS check of course, but this pattern will probably continue from now till I can't afford it anymore without the first NICS check

c919
July 3, 2010, 02:24 AM
Wow, did anybody happen to breeze through those comments?

I think there's some smoke coming out of my ears....

Here's a little tidbit that pretty much sums it up:

As it stands you and your frigging 2nd amendment are a disgrace and a aberration to what the constitution and founding fathers stood for and should be classified as UnAmerican and deported to wherever, with all those illegals you so hate.

Don't quote 2nd Amendment rights to me, I'm an old man whom once served his country long ago with, honorable, caring, true patriots who didn't die so you and other idiots could brandish your frigging Kalashnikovs at the supermarket.

RevolvingCylinder
July 3, 2010, 02:34 AM
NICS statistics aren't accurate to determine how heavily "armed" a state is. It simply indicates legal purchases from FFLs. It doesn't include firearms already owned, FTF sales, or illegal sales. Illegal sales being more prevalent in the stricter "gun control" states, of course.

That Kentucky number has to be a typo. Even if you drop the 1, they win. I find it completely impossible to believe that every person in KY had a NICS check (for purchase) 1.3 times in that period.
Not necessarily. It's more likely to be multiple purchases from the same people.

GoingQuiet
July 3, 2010, 02:35 AM
I love how the government touts it as an "Instant" check.

If anyone has ever purchased a firearm on a Saturday afternoon around 2:30 PM, you will know that the process is hardly "instant"

bensdad
July 3, 2010, 02:46 AM
I still don't buy it. Your saying that multiple purchases by individuals happen so much more in KY that they have a 1.3:1 ratio, while the second place state has a .3:1 ratio. Basically, that KY is selling 4x more guns per person than the 2nd place state. Something is wrong with the statistics. Maybe KY counted all of its out-of-state sales, while no other state did. Maybe KY only counted permit holders. Something doesn't add up. Not gonna look it up myself, I'm far too lazy. But I'm also very positive that it can't be right. Relax Kentuckians. Even without the "1", you're still in first place.

Zoogster
July 3, 2010, 02:51 AM
Did you completely miss my posts?

Even the OP replied.

The article also states it if you read it.

Kentucky does an automatic NICS check once a month on every concealed permit holder.
The article and statistics cover 17 months.

That means part of Kentucky's number is Concealed carry permit holders multiplied by 17, in addition to gun purchases.

So to know the real Kentucky number you would need to know the number of Kentucky concealed carry permit holders around in 2009 (which I did not find online doing a quick search), and then multiply it by 17 (the number of months covered by the article), and subtract that number from the original total, and then divide that to find the per 100,000 number. That would give a more accurate comparison.

GRIZ22
July 3, 2010, 02:53 AM
Your statistics don't really support your title. NICS checks indicate who's buying new guns from dealers. There are hundreds of thousands of people who have bought guns in the past (way before NICS) who know how to use them and should be considered just as armed.

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 3, 2010, 03:03 AM
Relax Kentuckians. Even without the "1", you're still in first place.

Lol! I posted this for pure fun and entertainment. As I stated earlier, the numbers are radically inflated (Kentucky performs a monthly NICS check on all currently licensed CCW holders, whether they buy no guns or a thousand), but I suspect we're still in the top 5 states (we may even be a legitimate #1; it's impossible to tell based on NICS idiosyncrasies from state-to-state).

I've been digging around trying to find a statistic on how many CCW holders there are in Kentucky, but everything I've scrounged up so far is outdated or incomplete.

It's just a fun list to think about, nothing more. I will say that the list, taken as a whole, is probably fairly representative of which states tend to be gun friendlier and which aren't.

It also illustrates how even a federal mandate like the NICS check is being circumvented by some states. Kentucky isn't the only state that allows CCW holders to skip the phone-in check.

Since Wyoming, Idaho, and the other states recently passed state legislation that made intrastate gun transactions a matter of state law exclusively, I'm curious how many other states will adopt similar policies.

This also means that states with CCW = No phone check policies are being grossly under-reported.

KR

Big Bill
July 3, 2010, 03:05 AM
National Instant Criminal Background Check System

It is run every time a gun is purchased from a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Not here in Idaho. Not if you have a Concealed Carry Permit. No background check is required. I think it is the same in other states also. So, the numbers and conclusions in the article are probably skewed.

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 3, 2010, 03:08 AM
Your statistics don't really support your title. NICS checks indicate who's buying new guns from dealers. There are hundreds of thousands of people who have bought guns in the past (way before NICS) who know how to use them and should be considered just as armed.

I don't disagree at all. My title, however, is merely a paraphrasing of the article's title.

I don't take the article seriously, and I posted merely as fun food-for-thought.

Here's another thought: I find it intensely comforting that no one seems to have any real idea of how many guns Americans own in general, much less what percentages are owned in which states. Everyone who writes about this topic must guess, because there are no reliable statistics.

That makes me smile from ear to redneck ear. :D

KR

Zoogster
July 3, 2010, 03:16 AM
I find it intensely comforting that no one seems to have any real idea of how many guns Americans own in general, much less what percentages are owned in which states.

In states that do not allow people with a carry permit to skip checks, and states that do not allow private transfers without an FFL, the statistics are closer for legally transferred firearms.

For example Jersey fits that definition, and at dead last it would appear the safest place to be a violent predator.

(D.C. not being a state.)

So Jersey, the place to be a violent criminal.

Of course then Hawaii is next, and Hawaii as a prime tourist destination has a lot of people who don't know anybody else and wouldn't even recognize a local. So the violent criminal might get away with more crime there, and face limited armed victims too!

How would a predator decide?

The list actually makes more sense in reverse, because the more anti-gun places don't have many exemptions for NICS, and have closed the "gun-show loophole" or all private transfers.

bwsmith2850
July 3, 2010, 03:39 AM
38th.......... I think I need to go shopping.

I guess I don't help our stats much. I just realized 9 of mine didn't go through NICS. BP & pvt sales.

NRA_guy
July 3, 2010, 08:19 AM
As others have mentioned, those numbers are totally bogus.

But I find this note on the linked site of interest:

All 10 of the most armed states voted for John McCain in 2008. All 10 of the least armed (including the District of Columbia) voted for Barack Obama.

As other voters, politicians' stand on the Second Amendment is my litmus test.

And if they take no stand on it, I assume they are not supporters of my right to own a gun.

swiftak
July 3, 2010, 08:34 AM
NH, #16. Not bad considering our population is less than most fair sizes cities around the US.

Manco
July 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm proud of every state in the top 10.

For the rest of y'all, get crackin' ;)

We won't rest until all 50 states and D.C. are in the top 10! :D

NH, #16. Not bad considering our population is less than most fair sizes cities around the US.

It's per 100,000 residents, which of course accounts for differences in population, not the actual number.

Crawford
July 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
NICs check statistics are an interesting way of looking at gun purchases but as already noted, I'm no sure what the numbers actually tell us. I imagine the wholesale statistics are more valid since over time they follow the retail numbers fairly closely. While I'm sure someone (some marketing reference firm) tracks the wholesale figures even those would have to be adjusted for (bi-directional) out of state purchases if the objective is to determine the gun purchase rate per 100k citizens.

Sebastian the Ibis
July 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
Does Bud's run NCIS checks when you purchase a gun and they ship it to your local FFL? If so and there are another couple high volume internet dealers in KY doing the same thing, I could understand the discrepancy.

Harley Rider 55
July 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
The free Republic of Texas does not require NICS checks for sales between individuals. Based upon population, I guarantee Texas is more heavily armed than any other state.

fireman 9731
July 3, 2010, 12:02 PM
Well I'm glad that I could help and do my part!

I've accounted for almost a dozen in that time frame.

SharpsDressedMan
July 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
We will never have a clear idea on how many guns per capita a state buys and sells, or owns, because these NICS stats don't include any private sales for many states, such as person-to-person sales and gunshows. Some states are super restrictive, and ALL of their transfers are through NICS, and some, like Ohio (where I live), has a pretty gun enthusiastic population, with lots of people, and very little restrictions on person-to person sales. For every NICS cheecked gun purchase I make, I probably do just as many, or more, private purchases. That would change the stats drastically if that is the norm. I know for a big fact that more guns are bought and sold at Ohio gunshows than there are TOTAL guns IN OWNERSHIP in some of the entire western states that are high on the NICS report list for being higher capita sales. We just have that many people in attendance and doing business, swapping, selling and trading, at the gunshows.

Zoogster
July 3, 2010, 01:05 PM
The ATF has actually released total numbers of guns sold in the past, which is far more accurate for all FFL transferred guns.

Looking at the report you can see how many guns were sold in every state, and even a breakdown into various types of guns.
NFA items, which they have tracked the longest and in most detail are broken down by item type and state location.
Of course some LEO and government weapons are included in the total numbers along with weapons held by SOT dealers.

These are not even the most detailed reports:
http://www.atf.gov/statistics/

All firearms manufactured in 2008 down to manufacturer, and caliber (an additional information not added here):

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2008-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

YEAR 2008 **
MANUFACTURED
PISTOLS REVOLVERS
TO .22 195,633 TO .22 115,511
TO .25 14,454 TO .32 6,681
TO .32 40,485 TO .357 MAG 105,944
TO .380 278,945 TO .38 SPEC 133,621
TO 9MM 421,701 TO .44 MAG 31,135
TO .50 658,163 TO .50 38,861

TOTAL 1,609,381 TOTAL 431,753

RIFLES 1,612,387
SHOTGUNS 752,859
MISC. FIREARMS 92,564

EXPORTED
PISTOLS 54,030
REVOLVERS 28,205
RIFLES 104,544
SHOTGUNS 41,186
PREPARED BY EYR 1/14/10
MISC. FIREARMS 523 Revised 5/24/2010

There is strict regulations on export of firearms, so if you subtract the known exported firearms it is easy to determine the number of non-exported firearms that enter the American market every year.

So in 2008 a total of 1,609,381 pistols were made, but 54,030 were exported. So a net change of 1,555,351 pistols occurred in the American market in 2008.

So the exact number of legal firearms that enter the American market every year are known (excluding personally made firearms.)

There is even more detailed reports I have seen.
The ATF also routinely obtains the information on where the firearms are sent wholesale.
They also deal with the manufacturers directly, and records they hold, details of every single firearm they made, from make and model, to serial number ranges.
Information they can obtain during investigations doing traces. They can obtain full records on a huge range of firearms from the manufacturer during the course of investigations.
They know what serial number details and ranges mean what to each manufacturer, and obtain a list of the numbers.

As many are aware of for example they were using such information to conduct "forward traces" and visit a lot of AK purchasers in various regions not too long ago. (To try and see if the guns had gone to Mexico.)
Tracing the guns from manufacturer to FFL and then following that to the purchaser, just to make sure the gun had not got into any trouble, and trying to develop leads.

I might post one of the more detailed reports later.

We will never have a clear idea on how many guns per capita a state buys and sells, or owns,
The number of every modern commercially manufactured firearm is known, and has been known for many years.
When most firearms legally are transferred across state lines from one party to another, a record is created because they must go through an FFL.
So there is a record of where most firearms were at least originally sent on the wholesale market to be sold, including in what state, and the number from there that then were sold into the private market.

So a rough estimate on the number a state has is possible (rough because it does not include private individuals moving in and out of state from another state who take firearms purchased in the other state with them.)
A rough estimate on the number total in the United States is also possible, because the records of manufacturers, how many they made, and how many have entered the American market are also known.

JellyJar
July 3, 2010, 04:45 PM
Looking at the number of NICSs checks per state cannot tell what state is the most armed. There are too many exemptions from a NICS check for it to be usable for that purpose.

KodiakBeer
July 3, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm sure there's all kinds of flaws in that data, but it's probably generally correct.

One thing that comes to mind is that in poorer states you probably have a lot more people buying used guns in private sales than in states with higher incomes - and not buying guns as often (these stats only go back 1 1/2 years), so those sales wouldn't be reflected in this data. I suspect gun ownership is higher than these stats would reflect in the southern states.

ultra45
July 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
As others stated, we will probably never know the true number. Take NY and some other stats, no insta check if you have a permit or sales between LEOs.

Oyeboten
July 3, 2010, 09:25 PM
Usually no 'nics' for Muzzle Loading Arms either...

DustyVermonter
July 3, 2010, 09:36 PM
Vermont ranks 35? I can't even think of anybody I know that doesn't own a gun....or under 10 for that matter. I wonder how accurate this information really is....I'm sure its based on real stats and everything, I just don't know how accurate it really reflects the actual amount of guns per capita/population whatever......probably has something to do with the fact that Vermont is one of the last places you can conduct private sales

DustyVermonter
July 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
There is actually really nothing to do in Vermont besides 4x4ing, shooting guns and killing deer and we stay plenty busy doing those things

Walkalong
July 3, 2010, 10:18 PM
Only 10th? Alabamians need to work on that.

orionengnr
July 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
Did you actually read the article? The first thing that caught my eye was, how you can do NICS checks on 134% of the population. Does every man, woman and child in the state buy a gun 1.34 times per year? :rolleyes:
One stipulation: States are not completely consistent in reporting of NICS data. Some states use the system for background checks on purchases on the secondary market and others do not. As well, Kentucky implemented monthly NICS checks on concealed weapons, which has inflated its numbers.
Having your background run every month, regardless of whether you actually buy a gun? Are you kidding me?
That in itself is enough to invalidate the numbers right off the bat. Title of the article should not be "most armed", but "most abusive"

I have probably purchased 35-50 handguns in the last five years, and sold most of them. Having a CHL, I have had NICS checks done on exactly "zero" of them.

Bottom line--the article is as credible as Al Gore's movie on Global Warming.
:rolleyes:

NMGonzo
July 3, 2010, 11:14 PM
I bought over 15 handguns privately without any checks since it is not mandatory here in New Mexico.

Kentucky won the contest of most people with store bought guns.

Hatterasguy
July 3, 2010, 11:27 PM
CT is 19!:D

We have a lot of guns, very few people I know don't have at least one.

ArtP
July 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Since California did not make the list, can I do a "for fun" calculation?

I bought a rifle a couple days ago. There are 37 million Californians. I think I am the only person in this state to buy a gun recently. I'm too busy watching my back and the doors and sheriff's logs to do the math. They have a whole flippin' army of people to do a background on one guy. But a quick calculation says I'm .005 per hundred K.

If anyone has time to do the math without looking over their shoulder, I'm interested.

I bought what I coined as a bonifide California Assualt Weapon. Now, you can all get a laugh out of this, but it's a Marlin 1894 44 mag lever that holds ten rounds. If you ask me, that's a lot of firepower for such a homely state. If the freakin' senators only knew how much "badder" that is than a 223 that holds ten girly rounds! And I don't even need a button thingy - I can just keep jamming rounds in into the tube magazine, even as I shoot.

Did I say too much?

Happy fourth brothers!!! Be safe!

fireman 9731
July 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
And I don't even need a button thingy - I can just keep jamming rounds in into the tube magazine, even as I shoot.

That made me laugh... a lot :D

KodiakBeer
July 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'd guess that Alaska would have to be number 1.

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 4, 2010, 04:12 PM
I'd guess that Alaska would have to be number 1.

Maybe, but you might be surprised too. :D

KR

Lastmohecken
July 4, 2010, 10:49 PM
My guess is Arkansas is higher then 9th place, because there are a lot of CCW holders and they don't get checked by NIC's, for gun purchases, nor to they get checked by NIC's ever, unlike Kentucky.

One little bit of trivia, from the late Jeff Cooper, in his old collum in Guns and Ammo, was a comment, where he states that some friend of his, somehow had the stats on what states got the most semi-auto rifles shipped from the wholesalers, main suppliers, etc. And he said that more semi-auto rifles got shipped to the states of the old confederacy, by a large margin, then anywhere else. Then he went to state that there must be somekind of social message in there somewhere, but he wasn't sure exactly what that was.;)

MinnMooney
July 5, 2010, 02:44 AM
Minnesota is "ranked" 22nd on this "list". I doubt that Kentucky or any other state out-buys Minnesotans by a 10 to 1 ratio as the "statistics" show. I seriously doubt if we're out bought by even a 2 to 1 ratio but, hey, let's keep it light - as intended by the O.P.

It's a fun article but hardly to be taken seriously because they are comparing apples to oranges and coming up with a ranked list of cumquats.:D

lloveless
July 5, 2010, 04:50 AM
Well I'll be. Tn ranked 11th. Texas was even further down(I don't believe that). Tennesseeans told me to be careful when I went to Tx. cause all them peoples carry. When I was in Tx and told them I was from Tn they stated all Tenneseeans are known to carry! So when I was coming to Alaska to work I asked if it was OK to bring a gun(I'm in hospital housing) I was told to bring it on cause everyone else had one too. Yeah it was a fun article to rile the lefties.
ll

swiftak
July 5, 2010, 11:46 AM
I agree with dusty vermonter. I also know very people that don't own guns in NH. I think the stats are wrong. Face to face sales are also legal in NH.

CTPhil
July 5, 2010, 12:30 PM
Way to go CT #19! Especially since AFAIK face to face sales are unregulated and wouldn't be included in the stats.

Guns and more
July 5, 2010, 02:03 PM
Something doesn't look right. You are saying Kentucky has more background checks than people?
The next state (Utah) has 100,000 less?

miamiboy
July 5, 2010, 02:06 PM
What I find amazing is that Alaska has a higher population than Wisconsin :what:

KodiakBeer
July 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
What I find amazing is that Alaska has a higher population than Wisconsin

5 million vs 600,000?

ServiceSoon
July 5, 2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think that Indiana FFL's have to run an NICS check if the buyer possess a firearm permit. That makes our numbers lower :( And we have lifetime permits, which makes it even lower :( :(

FTSESQ
July 5, 2010, 06:08 PM
I know that I'm coming late to the party here.... But in most states (at least the ones that I have bought guns from) once the background check is called in you can buy out the store. So, one background check can be used to buy multiple guns... something that my FFL reminds me of each and every time I buy something.

KodiakBeer
July 5, 2010, 06:19 PM
The only way to get an accurate count on guns in private hands would be to ask everyone for an inventory. My answer to that would be "None of your business!"

If you enjoyed reading about "The most (and least) armed states in the union (Daily Beast)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!