Pmc .38 spl

PDA

bskillet
July 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
So I was at Cabela's the other day and found a bunch of PMC .38 for dirt cheap. I decided to try them out in my S&W 627 PC. So I bought 250 rounds. Yesterday the Mrs. and I went to the range.

Now, every once in a while I've had a failure to fire on my revolver, using WWB and UMC. I've had it happen once or twice before in my Smith. No biggy because you can just pull the trigger again with a wheelgun. But with this PMC garbage I was getting at least one, sometimes two, failures out of every 8 shot load. I would take the rounds out, re-insert them, and then they would fire.

Has anyone had this problem with PMC?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pmc .38 spl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
July 4, 2010, 01:58 PM
I haven't bought any PMC stuff lately, but in the past, it was totally reliable (generally 357 mag and 41 mag). I am interested to hear what others say.

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
as PMC has always been totally reliable for me, I wonder if you might have a combination of a slightly light strike coupled with a hard primer.

Did you shoot it in any other gun?

bskillet
July 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
No, haven't shot it in anything else. Is this something I should consider sending it back to Smith for? I bought the gun only about a month and a half ago.

rcmodel
July 4, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've had a failure to fire on my revolver, using WWB and UMC. I've had it happen once or twice before in my Smith. No biggy because you can just pull the trigger againS&W's should not misfire!! Period.

And it actually is a Biggy, because it could disguise a squib load.
Pulling the trigger again will just fire the next cartridge and leave a bulge in your barrel.

It sounds to me like your firing pin strikes are too light to be reliable.

1. Check & tighten the strain screw on the front of the grip frame.
It is not a "trigger pull" adjustment, and should always be fully tightened.
It's also possible somebody cut off the strain screw to lighten the trigger pull.
Replace it with a stock length screw.

2. Clean out under the extractor star with a toothbrush and/or compressed air.
A few powder flakes under the extractor can cushion the firing pin blow, if not tie up the gun.

rc

bskillet
July 4, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm new to revolvers. I have no idea what any of that means.

rcmodel
July 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
All you need to understand:

1. Strain screw = The only screw in the front of the steel grip frame -
Tighten it.

2. Extractor star = The only part that comes back and ejects the emptys out of the cylinder - Clean under it.

rc

bskillet
July 4, 2010, 02:59 PM
I figured out some of what you were talking about. Took off the grip. Found a screw that pushes against the spring running up the grip frame. It was indeed not fully tightened. I bought the gun new, so I'm not sure who did this. Anyway, I tightened it up fully.

I always clean every square milimeter that I can get at without complete disassembly. So the extractor star was clean.

Will test it at the range and report back later this week.

Should I add some blue loctite to the strain screw?

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
What I would do is shoot the ammo out of another revolver. If it has issues it is probably the ammo.

If it doesn't it is probably the gun.

That said, since the rounds would fire on the second try the chances are good that the firing pin is not hitting hard enough.

RC is exactly right. The screw on the front of the grip should be fully tightened.

He is also correct in that junk under the ejection star can be a little "squishy" and absorb some of the pressure of the firing pin.

As instructed tighten the strain screw and clean under the ejection star on the back of the cylinder and try again.

What RC was saying about a squib, if you think that the gun misfired but a bullet did barely fire and only go partially down the barrel, the next round, if fully charged, will cause an over pressure and destroy your barrel. (at the least)

RC is a smart guy. Follow his advice.

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 03:06 PM
a small drop of threadblocker would not hurt but is not necessary

You probably solved your problem.

Congrats

rcmodel
July 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
No Lock-Tight is necessary.

Strain screws do not loosen themselves.

Only people with screwdrivers and no knowledge of S&W's loosen them.

rc

bskillet
July 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
Only people with screwdrivers and no knowledge of S&W's loosen them.

Then my guess is that someone at the retail store I bought it from loosened it in order to simulate a light trigger pull, in order to generate more sales. I probably won't be buying from them again.

Guillermo
July 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
my guess is that someone at the retail store I bought it from loosened it in order to simulate a light trigger pull

possible

or it could have come from the factory that way

no way to tell

as far as thread locker goes, generally avoid its use anywhere near the working parts of a gun. (it is fine on scope mounts, grips, etc).

22-rimfire
July 4, 2010, 03:32 PM
Don't be drawing conclusions about a store. If it is a new gun, it could have come from the factory like that. If it is a used gun, the sky is the limit. Just tighten the screw and make sure any crude is cleaned out behind the ejector star, and inside the cylinders. Generally give the gun a good cleaning. You don't need to take it apart to do this. Then try again.

Shoot some of the ammo in another revolver before drawing conclusions.

SaxonPig
July 4, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have shot very little PMC ammo and had no misfires when I did. However, I find the 38 Special stuff from PMC horribly underpowered.

BearAZ737
July 4, 2010, 05:04 PM
I've never tried PMC in my Smith but in my AR it always goes bang, I've never had one FTF out of hundreds. It's very reliable stuff IMO

bskillet
July 6, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Took it to the range today. Shot about 50 rounds of PMC and a few loads of WWB with no misfires. Guess that fixed it.

Guillermo
July 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
glad that worked out

thank you for the update

(we try to help so it is nice to hear results..especially positive ones)

NMGonzo
July 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've shot close to 900 rounds of .44 magnum pmc ammo and ZERO problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pmc .38 spl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!