shooting 1950's surplus?

PDA

TylerPearce
July 5, 2010, 08:07 PM
Is the Polish surplus from the 50's on AIM any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting 1950's surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ol' scratch
July 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
What caliber? What is the actual age? What are you shooting? What do you mean 'good'?

TylerPearce
July 5, 2010, 08:21 PM
sorry, i did't even think when I was typing this.

7.62x54r in a Mosin. Does It shoot every time? Is the primer slow? Are the cases corroded? Is it accurate? The only surplus that I have shot was Russian 7.62x54r

F40
July 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'm sure it's fine. I've shot it before with no hang fires or anything.

TylerPearce
July 5, 2010, 08:41 PM
alright, thanks! I really want to try some new ammo out.

fireman 9731
July 6, 2010, 01:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing, Thats a decent price if the chargers actually work.

Cosmoline
July 6, 2010, 01:21 AM
I've been shooting quite a bit of this from my M39 lately. It's giving me very solid groups and is my current main practice ammo. I'm buying a spam can of it this weekend in fact. This early stuff seems to have a hollow base bullet of about .310." I suspect that will make it better for the tighter bored Mosins like mine.

I don't know if the primers are corrosive, but assume they are and do the usual cleanup the same day as the shoot not a month later. The Polish is shooting quite clean, apart from that. Much cleaner than Albanian, for example.

Zero hangfires out of the 100+ tested so far

The stripper clips its comes on aren't the best, but aren't the worst either. Just remember to grip the sides when you push down or it may "spit" a middle round out and force you to start over.

TylerPearce
July 6, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sweet, it's going to be fun to use ammunition that is almost as old as the gun!

Hatterasguy
July 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
The spam can ammo should last just about forever. Those cans are sealed tight, I don't think even failout from a nuclear blast would get through.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting 1950's surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!