S&W Serial #

PDA

bankerbud
July 5, 2010, 09:12 PM
First time poster, long time lurker! I need help with a S&W J frame serial number. I picked up a very beat up, but tight Model 36 square butt. I am thinking about having it refinished and carrying it, but I want to make sure that it isn't a historical/rare revolver. The serial # is j163xxx. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Tim G

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Serial #" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
July 5, 2010, 09:28 PM
Try here -

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372213

Iggy
July 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
J100000-J250000 Shipped 1973-1974

bankerbud
July 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Iggy!

It will get refinished, new stocks, and a tyler t-grip very soon!

Tim G

Iggy
July 6, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thoughts about re-finishing. Let's say for kicks, you purchased your gun for $250.00. It is most likely worth that or more as it stands.

You send it to S&W and it will cost you another $250 with shipping to get it refinished.

Due the refinish it has lost any collectors value or interest. It is now worth maybe $275.00 as a very pretty shooter, and probably so nice looking that you will be hesitant to carry it. Don't ask me how I know this.

Unless it is in such bad shape that you just can't stand to look at it, I would leave it as it is. It probably earned the scuffs and scrapes with honor.

Clean it, carry it, shoot it, and enjoy it.

bankerbud
July 7, 2010, 06:54 PM
Iggy,

Sound wisdom. Getting the revolver refinished would cost more than what I paid for it. I have decided to leave it as is, because it looks salty. Thanks again for the information, and the advice.

Tim G

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Serial #" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!