My First Firearm -- My Wish List

PDA

prezbucky
July 6, 2010, 01:31 AM
I do not own a firearm but have been doing some reading, looking at pics and prices, etc. I would use the gun primarily for plinking... I would imagine it's more fun than Duck Hunt. hehe

I also might not mind having them around for their aesthetic value, collectibility, and (heaven forbid...) self-defense.

So here's what I *think* might be some decent options... and what may one day comprise my "collection":

- Glock 19 (9mm)
- Colt Series 70 Government (.45 ACP)
- Ruger Blackhawk (.357 Magnum)
- Sig P226 (.357 Sig)
- Browning Hi Power (.40 S&W)
- Marlin 336C (.30/.30 Win)

I like the Glock because it seems to present good quality for a relatively low ($500ish) price. Apparently it's a "quick" shooter, with no external safeties. And apparently it is very rugged/reliable.

I like the Ruger for much the same reasons as the Glock: good value, rugged, reliable. Getting .357 Mag power for about $500 sounds like a good deal.

Sig: I've read that this is among the best production handguns made -- good looks, great performance and reliability. Up a bit in price, but supposedly just like butter.

Colt S70: It's either this one or the 1991A1 Gov't model. It seems most think the 80's firing pin safety is a drawback, and I don't plan on slam-dunking the pistol... so if I can find one, I'll go with the 70. If not, the 80 will suffice. It MUST be a Colt if it's .45 ACP...

I love the look of the (FN) Hi Power, and would love to own one.

And the Marlin lever-action, just to own a rifle.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "My First Firearm -- My Wish List" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strahley
July 6, 2010, 01:50 AM
I'd go for the Glock 19 first. It's a hell of a first handgun. Any task you need a handgun for, short of hunting bigger game (in which you should have a rifle for anyway), a Glock 19 can do

gbw
July 6, 2010, 01:55 AM
Not on your list, but I'd start with a good .22, revolver or auto. You'll never be sorry you have it.

Learn to shoot safely, which takes practice and ammunition.

prezbucky
July 6, 2010, 02:10 AM
Strahley -- Thanks for confirming the Glock.

gbw -- Thanks... Maybe a Buckmark? My girlfriend actually has a little Deringer-style .22... maybe we could hit the range together. Loser buys the ammo, unless I win. hehe

Logan80
July 6, 2010, 02:38 AM
I'd also recommend a decent .22 revolver or semi. It will help you learn trigger control and aim and won't break the bank doing so...

JoeSlomo
July 6, 2010, 03:04 AM
That's a good looking list. All are excellent examples.

I would avoid any 1911 with "lawyer" parts like the plague (series 80 colts), and... Kimbers.. That's just me though (and I own a Kimber hehe).

While the .30-30 is an excellent American rifle, which should be owned by EVERY household imo, you can't leave it all by its lonesome. The .30-30 should be a part of the "Triumvirate" consisting of 1) .30-30 2) 12 gauge shotgun and 3) .30-06.

The .30-30 for the woods.
The .30-06 for the long open field shots.
The 12 gauge for everything else. :)

prezbucky
July 6, 2010, 03:24 AM
What would be a good 30-06? Remington 840 (haven't checked... hope that makes sense)?

If I get a shotgun, I remember a model called the Remington Marine Magnum... hopefully that'd do the trick.

And is it true that 30-06 and .308 are virtually identical in price, performance and availability?

gofastman
July 6, 2010, 04:04 AM
oh man I'm gonna catch flak for this...
maybe you should look at a Taurus 66 rather than the Ruger :what:

primarily because its cheep...
you can load it with 38 special to lower the recoil.
and you will have more money leftover when you decide revolvers are stupid :neener: (joking of course!)

I love Glocks, that would be my first choice (as well as the 9mm cartridge) if you are set on an autoloader. you could also look at the Springfield XD line.

content
July 6, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hello friends and neighbors / I like your list and hope you fill it one day.

From your list the two best IMHO plinkers are the Blackhawk and the Marlin 336.

.38/.357 ammo is slightly higher priced than 9mm but both the .357 and .30-30 can also be used for hunting/SD/HD as well giving you more options overall.

If it where me buying my first it would be a sub $100.00(with rebate) Marlin 795 .22 lr with a box of 550 Frederal rounds for under $20.00 and have a blast.

Enjoy the search for the firearm that works for you.

donster
July 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
I would suggest you look at the Blackhawk convertible. It will .38/.357 in one cylinder and 9mm in the other cylinder. Some say the 9mm is slightly less accurate, but you can use it for plinking. For HD, use .357 or .38+p.

For the price of a Colt, you could have a Blackhawk and a Single Six, which is Ruger's single action 22 revolver. You could even get a Heritage Arms Rough Rider and save another couple hundred bucks to put towards ammo.

All of that aside, my first was an XD9. It fit my hand better than the Glock, and the grip safety gave me a little extra confidence (not really needed, but I was a beginner and it didn't hurt). If you do go with the Glock, you could get one of those conversion kits and shoot cheap 22 with the same trigger you use for 9mm and still save money over the Colt.

I'm not saying Colts are overpriced... well, okay, I am saying it:evil::p. Seriously, if you get the chance to shoot any of them, pick the one that feels best. Since you do have HD potential in mind, go 9mm or .357 and get a .22lr as your second gun.

brabham78
July 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
prezbucky, if you're actually looking to start a collection of great firearms, you've listed some good choices. I'll throw my opinion in on a few points though: Ruger is an excellent revolver choice, but I'd suggest that you might want to look at a SA/DA (Single-action/Double-action) Ruger GP100 rather than the single action only Blackhawk. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting a single action only revolver, then go with the increased versatility of a SA/DA gun. If you want to cock it and fire single action, you can. But it's nice to be able to rapid fire a .38 special/.357 Magnum, and the double action trigger will allow that.

And since plinking might be your primary activity, do as members Logan80 and gbw suggested, and make sure a .22 caliber pistol is in the line up. Revolver or semi auto is fine. They are cheap to shoot, and lots of fun. Smith & Wesson's Model 317 is a nice .22 revolver, although certainly not the only good choice. The Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito are nice .22 semi autos, and both are reasonably priced. And although a bit more expensive than those two, and physically larger, the Ruger MKIII & 22/45 line of .22 pistols are classics. If you like shooting, then ammo cost is important, and a .22 will allow you to do a lot of shoot for very little money.

KodiakBeer
July 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
Every good shooter I know started with a .22.

GLOOB
July 6, 2010, 04:48 PM
Your list should definitely include at least 1 rimfire pistol and rifle, IMHO. But I doubt you'll stop there. .22's are the most addictive of all guns. :) They come in so many different barrel lengths and other factory options, it's hard to choose just one. :)

JoeSlomo
July 6, 2010, 05:55 PM
What would be a good 30-06?

You can't go wrong with a Remington 700, though a Savage 110 will be less expensive.

For shotguns, I am a Remington 870 fan myself, but there are die hard Mossberg 500 fans out there, and the Mossie is less expensive. Both will last a lifetime...or two.

prezbucky
July 7, 2010, 01:43 AM
okay.. revised list (hehe):

- .22 revolver or semi-auto (will look around)
- Glock 19
- Ruger GP100 or Blackhawk .357 w/ 9mm conversion thing
- Another .22
- Another .22 (hehe)
- Mossberg or Rem 870 shotgun
- Marlin 336C
- Remington 700 OR (just remembered...) Steyr-Mannlicher w/Mauser bolt action, in 30-06
- XD9 (will have to look that one up)
- Taurus 66? ( will go back and check the post for the model.

Just reminded myself of something I'd been wondering:

Is the Mauser action really all that? If so, how will I know(if I look at bolt-action rifles) which bolts are Mauser and which aren't?

Thanks again folks -- this is a trip!

prezbucky
July 7, 2010, 02:03 AM
I think I'm in love, fellas, and her name is Signorina Mosquito.

I had no idea that Sig made a .22 that looks exactly like the P226 (or 229). And it's in my "first gun" price range. I love that Sig design, but I figured I'd have to pay $900 or so to get
one. But no...

What a revelation!

I'm getting the one with pink accents. hehe

RX-178
July 7, 2010, 06:11 AM
Just my opinion, YMMV.

First guns, when it comes to first handguns, I primarily go with two trains of thought.

1. Just learning how to shoot pistols, primarily for plinking and fun at the range.

.22 long rifle handgun (either autoloader or revolver, doesn't matter) fits that one perfectly. There's no getting around the logic of the cheap ammunition, nearly nonexistent recoil. Perfect, easy way to practice and master trigger control and the fundamentals of shooting.

2. First gun, needs to cover ALL bases, including hunting and defense until the funds are available to get more specialized weapons.

.357 Magnum revolver with 4" barrel. Long-since proven man-stopper, and also a long-since proven whitetail round. 4" barrel models are usually still small enough to be carried concealed. And they can chamber and fire .38 special rounds for lower recoil during practice.

DukeNukem
July 7, 2010, 06:41 AM
The Mosquito is fun. They can be picky about ammo, but most people seem to be able to find some kind that will function reliably. Mine works pretty much 100% with CCI Mini-Mags, Federal AutoMatch, and Federal Game Shok.:) Less well with other ammo, sometimes much less well.:uhoh:

Since you're thinking about a 1911 .45ACP someday possibly, you might want to consider getting a GSG 1911 .22lr. I've had mine for two weeks, and it's been really great. Shot 400 rounds(Federal bulk, Remington Golden Bullet, and Fed. AutoMatch) with it yesterday with no malfunctions whatsoever. I am approaching 1500 rounds overall, and I'm liking it more and more each time out with it. And I'm a lot more accurate with it than I am with my Mosquito, too. It's about the same cost as a Mosquito and is just a better gun.

Pilot
July 7, 2010, 06:51 AM
Ruger MK II. If you want to plink that will work great and depending on which variation can even get you into target shooting. When its time to get a centerfire, go 9MM for ammo cost and get a CZ PCR or P-01 over a G19.

prezbucky
July 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
DukeNukem,

Do you use the 36-grain (1280 FPS) version of the CCI mini-mags with your Mosquito? Does that also work with the GSG?

And the GSG 1911 .22 is pretty. I like the one with the wood grips. It's comparable in price to the Mosquito. I guess for me it comes down to the 1911 vs. the P229. Both are pretty. In your hands the 1911 is more accurate. I'll assume it would be in mine also. Question is, is the added accuracy worth jumping through hoops to get the GSG, while I could run over to Ricky Bobby's Gunz (hehe) here in Nashville find 5-10 Mosquitos from which to choose. Maybe I'll buy the Mosquito, establish that crucial FFL link, and then get the GSG.
Buying guns online looks tricky, full of possible pains-in-the-@ss... but what about buying ammo online? Does ammo also have to go through an FFL?

GLOOB
July 8, 2010, 03:18 AM
Depends on your location. I think there are a few cities/states where there are some laws about that. But 95% of Americans can buy ammo online without any hassle other than:

1. box must be labeled as containing small arms ordnance (i.e. has a small sticker slapped on it somewhere)
2. I think it can't go by air

The seller will know more about the laws than you will, chances are. They're the ones that will get into more trouble if they screw up. Ask them if/how they can ship to you.

2 of my favorite places to buy ammo online are CTD and Ammunitiontogo.com.

But most of your common calibers needs can be filled cheaper by the local Walmart. :)

DukeNukem
July 8, 2010, 05:27 AM
Yeah, except for a few places(and I highly doubt Nashville would be one of them), you can buy ammo mail-order without FFL. I buy most of my ammo(especially the .22) at WalMart. They carry Federal AutoMatch(these are 40gr round nose) which work just as well as Mini-Mags in my Mosquito and are cheaper. When I buy Mini-Mags, I get the 40gr round nose type. I've probably shot the 36gr hollowpoint Mini-Mags through the Mosquito, but I can't recall for sure--if I have, they must not have made much of an impression on me good or bad. If I buy Federal Game Shok, I also get the 40gr round nose. I do know I've shot bulk 36gr Federal hollowpoints with the Mosquito, and they work okay, but not as well as my favored Mosquito ammos. Remington Golden Bullet 36gr hollowpoints are another cheap ammo that work just okay, not great. Winchester .22 ammo seems to give my Mosquito the most problems. Mine doesn't like the cheap 333 bulk Winchester hollowpoints or the more expensive Super-X hollowpoints or the Super-X round nose. I think I'm going to shoot my Mosquito this afternoon--I might pick up a box of Mini-Mag hollowpoints and see how they do for sure. I know I haven't tried them through the GSG. {The 40gr Mini-Mags have worked 100% with the GSG--I shot 100 rounds of it yesterday and I think only 50 rounds prior to that, so 150 total with zero malfunctions. Yesterday, I also shot about 50 rounds of AutoMatch(zero malfunctions), 100 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet(zero malfunctions), and 50 rounds Federal Lightning(3 or 4 malfunctions)-this and Remington Thunderbolt have probably given it the most trouble. I think T-Bolt functioned about like Lightning. Surprisingly, the GSG cycled 50 rounds of Remington Subsonic flawlessly last week. Haven't tried Subsonic in my Mosquito. Can't remember if I've tried Lightning or T-Bolt in my Mosquito or not--I doubt it. Those are bottom of the barrel ammo that I normally just don't buy.}

Honestly, I think it would be worth the extra effort to get the GSG 1911 over the Mosquito. It's not just the accuracy. It's a visibly better made firearm and has a better trigger. It also runs the value pack Federal and Remington ammo better(flawlessly) than the Mosquito does. Don't know about the Winchester bulk yet, but it works better with the Winchester Super-X hollowpoints than the Mosquito does although it doesn't run them flawlessly. I think you'd like the Mosquito. I still like mine and have no plans to get rid of it. Let me put it this way though, if I'd had the GSG first I probably wouldn't have bought the Mosquito.

searcher451
July 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
+1 on the addition of a good .22 caliber semi-auto pistol: the Ruger Mark series or the Browning Buck Mark series come to mind, although one of the early Colts (Woodsman, Challenger) would be wonderful representatives as well. I'd also look long and hard at the Walther line, and especially the PP/PPK series and the P99. IMO, no good handgun collection is complete without at least one Walther.

DukeNukem
July 8, 2010, 11:43 PM
I shot the Mosquito and the GSG 1911 this afternoon. 200 rounds through each.

It went something like this:

Mosquito--
50 rounds CCI Mini-Mag hollowpoints (a couple of failure to feed)
50 rounds Federal bulk hollowpoints (a couple of failure to feed)
50 rounds Remington Golden Bullet hollowpoints (3 or 4 failure to extract)
50 rounds CCI Mini-Mag round nose (100% function)

GSG 1911--
50 rounds CCI Mini-Mag hollowpoints (100%)
50 rounds Fed bulk hollowpoints (100%)
50 rounds Rem. Golden Bullet hollowpoints (100%)
50 rounds CCI Mini-Mag round nose (100%)

Just have to stick with the right ammo in the Mosquito then it's no worries. The GSG 1911 just keeps on keepin' on.

prezbucky
July 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks for that info. I should probably buy you a brick of ammo. hehe

So... when there's a feed or extraction issue, can it damage the gun?

Based on that, the mosquito needs that 40-grain round-nose mini-mag.

I've been looking at the GSG online quite a bit and yeah -- it is nice. Same dimensions as .45ACP 1911s, 80% interchangeable parts (according to GSG's site).

I'm on probation currently for DUI 1st offense (nobody was hurt, no property was damaged -- fortunately. I was pulled over for speeding.) It dawned on me today that I might not be able to purchase a gun for a few more months. I'll ask my PO about it. But I can at least plan for the glorious day when I make one of those .22s my own.

The silver lining to it is that maybe the GSG will be more readily available by then.

Oh and BTW -- I took a minute to look at guns on Guns America's site and was appalled. They were offering standard NIB Sig P226 for around $1000... about $150-$200 over retail. And when you figure in the shipping & FFL charges, it's looking more like $200-$250 over retail.

If I ever purchase one online, I think it'll be from the Able Ammo site -- their prices seem to be at retail or lower.

prezbucky
July 9, 2010, 02:03 AM
Searcher, I like the look of the Walther PPK line -- IMO it has character, doesn't look like a copy of another mfr's design. Down the line, who knows -- may pick one up:

The name's Bond... James Bond.

thorazine
July 9, 2010, 02:24 AM
I also might not mind having them around for their aesthetic value, collectibility, and (heaven forbid...) self-defense.

So here's what I *think* might be some decent options... and what may one day comprise my "collection":

- Glock 19 (9mm)

Agreed.

The nine millimeter is relatively easy to learn on as a first firearm (I did).

-and-

Somewhat reasonably priced.

Also unlike a twenty two there are plenty of options when it comes to premium self defense ammunition.

Get the nine.

Get a twenty two next.

PAPACHUCK
July 9, 2010, 06:19 AM
[Qoute by Prezbucky] and comments from me;
okay.. revised list (hehe):

- .22 revolver or semi-auto (will look around) Buckmark, Ruger MKII or S&W 617
- Glock 19 or XD9,SD9,MP9
- Ruger GP100 or Blackhawk .357 w/ 9mm conversion thing GP100
- Another .22OK, Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22
- Another .22 (hehe)OK
- Mossberg 500/590A1 or Rem 870 shotgun Must have one
- Marlin 336C or Marlin 1894 in .357
- Remington 700 OR (just remembered...) Steyr-Mannlicher w/Mauser bolt action, in 30-06 or .308
- XD9 (will have to look that one up) for sure
- Taurus 66? ( will go back and check the post for the model. M66SS4 for Stainless 4", M66B4 for Blued 4", M66SS6, etc.

I say start with the .22 pistol, add a .22 rifle, then the Mossy or Rem870, then the G19,XD9, or MP9, then the .308/.30-06 scoped rifle. After that everything else is just wants, not needs.

Just my .02:cool:

RidgwayCO
July 9, 2010, 09:37 AM
One more .22LR semi-auto to consider is the Beretta 87. They're not too many of them around, and they're not the cheapest, but if you're looking for "plinking with a modicum of style," I think they're the best. I've never found anyone who didn't really like the M87's grip and controls. My shooting buddy liked mine so much that he just recently bought a new one from Bud's online. It's been flawless for him.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1227/beretta87cheetah.jpg

PAPACHUCK
July 9, 2010, 10:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very nice!!

RonBernert
July 9, 2010, 12:26 PM
There are just so many options!!
BUT-
If I were on a budget (I am) and needed to pick up a well rounded set (my opinion) it would be:

.22 revolver (mine is a single six)
.22 autoloader (mine is a 22/45)
.22 rifle (mine is old.. next one is a 10/22)

and then move on from there.. This will give you a ton of shooting experience, thousands of rounds fired, friends at the gun range (who will let you hold/shoot all kinds of other guns!!) and most of all, a direction you want to go with your shooting.

DO NOT FORGET to check out a Mosin Nagant in 7.62X54 as a first larger bore rifle.. Fantastic shooters for cheap!

prezbucky
July 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
You guys are great.

That Beretta 87 is nice. Can a person have three, four, five .22 pistols? The GSG and Mosquito will prolly run about $350 apiece, the Glock $500 (9mm after plenty of .22 practice...) not to mention rifles and the Mossy 500. But that thing is purty. Maybe it can replace the Mosquito. I'll get my Sig (P226) when I'm ready to handle it properly.

A buddy of mine at work ordered a Mosin Nagant for dirt-cheap. It came covered in some sort of petroleum jelly. My natural response upon hearing this was to ask him how the sex was. hehe

At any rate, he had to bake the gun in his oven for days to get the stuff off.

After that I heard no complaints.

prezbucky
July 9, 2010, 09:09 PM
Also -- Mauser actions. Is there a perceptible difference between a Mauser action and an Enfield action? And how can someone tell which type of action the newer/modern
bolt-action rifles have? I heard a quote that the Mauser bolt action is as smooth as glass. Is that hyperbole, or is it really that smooth?

Secondly -- is there any real difference between 30-06 and .308? Seems (in my novice's experience...) they're both very popular, about the same size, price, etc.

Hunter125
July 9, 2010, 11:05 PM
I have been looking around at .22 pistols myself and have gotten the advice to avoid the Mosquito and stick to either the Ruger Mark series or the Browning Buckmarks with a heavy emphasis on the Buckmarks. They tend to be a little more expensive than the Rugers, but I have heard from many people that they are simply the best available .22 pistols. Never had any experience with them myself, but I fully intend to. I grew up on a S&W 422, which was fine, but not that reliable.

Don't forget about .22 rifles too, especially if you want to plink, they are way cheap and lots of fun.

prezbucky
July 10, 2010, 02:40 AM
Speaking of .22 rifles, I think I've found a good one (good series):

Savage Mark II

People just gush about their Savage Mark II rifles... especially about the:

1) Accutrigger
2) Accuracy
3) Smooth bolt action

They seem pretty reasonably priced, especially the synthetic-stock ones.

What do you guys think about the Savage Mark II .22LR? Worthy option for my .22 rifle?

Mike J
July 10, 2010, 09:28 AM
There are a lot of good .22 rifles out there. I have heard good things about the Savages. I've got a couple of Marlin model 60's that are inexpensive & work well.
You could get into a host of threads answering all of your questions. As far as a .30-06 goes I like the Winchester model 70 but there are many good options in it available also. Personally I would say get a couple of .22's & start plinking. As you learn add more guns. You will figure out what you like as you go.

prezbucky
July 10, 2010, 06:27 PM
My roommate's brother was in the Army in Vietnam and, more recently, Iraq. I don't know details but I can regurgitate my woman's comments about him being qualified as a sniper. He's about 45 mins away in Clarksville, TN (where the 101st Airborne is based).

I just talked to him about a .22 pistol and he agreed... for learning to shoot and for fun. He added that the .22LR round can be quite deadly, when necessary -- more powerful than many give it credit for.

Again, hoping it never comes to that, and certainly not picking a fight. Boys... they want to have fun. Oh, boys just want to have funnn.

orionengnr
July 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
My roommate's brother was in the Army in Vietnam and, more recently, Iraq.
I'm not saying this is impossible, but, have you done the math on that? Everyone I know that was in Viet Nam is in their very late 50s/early-mid 60s.

All right, that said, if I were starting out, I would try to minimise different calibers and be ready to reload for all of them (except the .22 LR, obviously).

.22LR
9mm
.357 Mag
.45 acp

That is a good variety of cartridges to start with, and reloading for them will provide will provide sufficient challenge.

Once you have that under control, expand as appropriate. Due to the cost of ammo these days, don't be surprised if you find yourself trimming cartridges from the list. I have ditched the .38 Spl, .40 and the .44, and although I own .380 and 9mm, rarely shoot either.

My .45acp gets reloaded and shot the most by far. 45LC and .41 Mag are tied for a distant second....357 on occasion. Unless you have multiple presses or a lot of time/money, reloading large quantities of many different calibers is a PITA.

prezbucky
July 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
He was just 18 in the early 70s... and was in Iraq in some sort of MP or advisory capacity, in maybe 03-04 or 04-05. So he was in Iraq at the age of, oh, right at about 50.

prezbucky
July 11, 2010, 08:31 PM
Confirmed -- the woman (his sister) said he was an MP in Iraq. He brought back a few artifacts.

Lar1911
July 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
1. Just learning how to shoot pistols, primarily for plinking and fun at the range.

.22 long rifle handgun (either autoloader or revolver, doesn't matter) fits that one perfectly. There's no getting around the logic of the cheap ammunition, nearly nonexistent recoil. Perfect, easy way to practice and master trigger control and the fundamentals of shooting.

2. First gun, needs to cover ALL bases, including hunting and defense until the funds are available to get more specialized weapons.

.357 Magnum revolver with 4" barrel. Long-since proven man-stopper, and also a long-since proven whitetail round. 4" barrel models are usually still small enough to be carried concealed. And they can chamber and fire .38 special rounds for lower recoil during practice.

Great advice. The 38 will be cheap to shoot, the 4 inch is easy to conceal carry, 357's for almost anything that walks in the lower 48.

If you want a reliable semi auto, look at Rugers. No one will ever tell you they are not solid reliable guns. I own 45's and 9mm's. The 9 is cheap to shoot.

Look at the P95 in 9mm, a 3.9 inch barrel it is a good shooter and concealable
http://ruger.com/products/p95/images/13009.jpg

or SR9
http://ruger.com/products/sr9cBrushedStainless/images/3313.jpg

I would also look at the P345 in 45
http://ruger.com/products/p345/images/6645.jpg

I carry afull size Springfield 1911 the majority of the time., but would def would carry a Ruger instead

Lar1911
July 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
You can get into a P95 for about $350

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178855485

Mike J
July 12, 2010, 08:37 PM
There is a P95 here for $269.95 if you're interested http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm

Lar1911
July 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
Great price, with shipping your still under 300

The SR9 is also a good price.

Dont let gun snobs direct you. Lots of great guns out there.

prezbucky
July 13, 2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the Ruger info fellas. I'll certainly consider them, especially the P95 as competition for the Glock.

Lar1911
July 13, 2010, 08:29 AM
I own a Glock and a SR9. I like the SR9 because of the natural grip angle. Its similar to the 1911.

Its also not as wide as the Glock.

Also keep in mind you are not married to a gun. There are times I carry the SR9 instead of the 1911. And there are times I carry a small 2 inch 357. Depends on what I am wearing and where I am going.

Glocks are great guns, but not the end all. The one comment that always comes out about Rugers is they are built like tanks, very tough and reliable. You show up at a range and no one will look down on a Ruger, everyone will comment that its a well built gun.

In the big name guns you are not going to be dissapointed. If you bought a Sig you would come on here a month later excited, same for Glock, Beretta, Kimber...

Now the true "evil" of guns is that they all fit a specific need. First you buy your first gun because you need something to shoot with and self defense. Then you want a nice revolver for the house. After shooting for a while you need a compact in whatever gun you bought, especially if they both take the same magazine (Sr9 full size and compact for example).
Then you really like a Kimber/Les Bear/Springfield... 1911, so you buy a full size for IDPA
And since you are training tactically now, you need a nice shotgun, an 870. Then you NEED an AR15 to compete in three gun.

One day at the gun shop you are checking out the handguns and the new Vaquero looks pretty cool, what the heck throw it on the visa.

Speaking of rifles, you might want to deer hunt, so a nice bolt action 308.......

It never ends, one day you wake up and find you have 30 - 40 guns.

I ride a train to DC every day, I have met guys that own over three hundred.

Lar1911
July 13, 2010, 08:38 AM
What are you doing up a 2am?

Lar1911
July 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
Take a look at IDPA, practical shooting is a lot of fun

Lar1911
July 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
http://pistol-training.com/

prezbucky
July 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
LAR, I'm a bit of a night owl. I work at home most days, 9:30-6 (roughly), so I can sleep in a bit.

I read up on the Ruger P95 and more than one reviewer said it's a solid pistol but it has a "mushy" trigger. One reviewer said he had a $100 trigger job done on it and it was suddenly a great (italicized) gun.

I notice there's a lever on the slide, near the hammer. Does that get in the way of racking the slide? I wouldn't want to break the gun the first time I tried to rack the slide. hehe

BTW, the more I look at that P95, and consider its American-ness... and price (even with a trigger job...)... the more I like it.

I tend to show loyalty to certain brands in some industries. I wear Nike shoes (well, tennies...), brush with Crest, shop at Kroger, etc.

I just looked at both again, and feel these might end up being my first non-22 pistols:

Ruger P95 9mm
Ruger GP100 .357Mag

Those two, plus the .22, might be enough pistols for me. Dang, I've changed my mind ten times in here. hehe

I'll hold both G19 and P95 and see if the Glock is worth $200 more ($100 if I get a trigger job).

I don't know if I could find a revolver to compete with the GP100 in terms of price/ruggedness/reliability.

Who knows, maybe the bolt-action will be a Ruger too.

Lar1911
July 14, 2010, 08:48 AM
The decocker is not a problem. Rugers have been issued to police depts since the late 80's, Mass Ayoob won many IDPA matches with guns like the P95.

The reason I do not own one now is because I bought into buying what everyone else said I should have. I have a Glockk 22 in .40, great gun but I do not like the feel of it. You hear people call it a Block, it feels like a block.

I own a full size 1911 and a micro compact, I keep them clean and they shoot great, but if I dont keep them clean they jam. Not a big issue because I am not hunting terrorist in the mountains for months, so the gun works for me.

I got caught into the idea of the smallest carry gun I could buy and bought the micro compact 1911, its a lot of power out of a little gun. I shoot it because I paid for it then did work on it, but knowing what I know now, I would buy the commander with the 4 inch barrel.

I love the Ruger SR9, I shoot it, dont clean it and it still shoots. I want to be a 45 snob, but todays bullets are different than 10 years ago and the 9mm is a good round. Being a 1911 guy its hard to admit.

The trigger on the Ruger is subjective, you may not feel you need work on it, a friend of mine has the P89 (the older 9mm model) and he loves it. He wouldnt do anything to it, and he has had it since 1990.

Also the Ruger is double action and single action. That means the first shot will be a long pull because it cocks the hammer with the pull of the trigger, then it is single action in that every shot after that is a light pull. That is different from the 1911 that is single action, I have to carry it with the hammer back and keep it on safe. (That bothers alot of people)

Glocks are striker systems (same for the SR9, XD's) there is no hammer in the traditional sense, but if it doesnt fire you must pull the slide back again (same with the 1911) with a double action you pull the trigger again and it will strike the round a second time. Sometimes this is an advantage.

When you pick up the Ruger, feel the trigger by pulling the slide back so you know how it feels then, not just the double action feel. Some people are picky about trigger pull, I had a trigger job done on my 1911 for $45, I didnt feel a big difference, the gunsmith was impressed by how much better it was.

No matter what you get you just need to learn to shoot it. Go to youtube and search fastest cowboy action. They are shooting guns that have to be hand cocked.

prezbucky
July 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
Like a single-action revolver?

Also -- just saw a picture of a Ruger MkIII4 .22 in blue -- looks a lot like a Luger. I may end up with a drawer-full of Rugers, single-handedly pulling us out of the recession. hehe

prezbucky
July 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
The ex-US Army brother of the "wife" (roommate/woman) is gonna take me to a shooting range. There I'm being ordered to rent several weapons of different make and caliber and figure out which I like.

So... hey, boys, I'm not buying one. I don't exactly feel comfortable given my situation, but when your (de facto) sniper bro in law says he is going to show you the ropes, well... either I do it or I'm a pu$$y. Ugh.

prezbucky
July 18, 2010, 12:02 AM
So this is really more for a Gen Disc topic but WTH... for the good person who checks in on my thread. I yield this gastronomical nugget:

Tom's Beer Bolognese

What you'll need:
- A pound of ground beef, or chuck... etc.
- About 12 oz. milk
- 1 regular jar of spaghetti sauce
- Half of a beer
- About 12 oz spaghetti (dry)... three-fourths of a 16-oz pkg
- Diced onion, carrot, green pepper (a heaping handful, total)
- 1 TBSP veg or olive oil
- Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, S&P
- one tomato, diced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese

1. Dice the onion/green pepper/carrot.

2. Put a large skillet (or a huge sauce pan...) on medium heat. Add the oil and the veggies.Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder and italian seasoning, S&P on them as they cook. Cook them for about 8 minutes on medium.

3. Remove the veggies and set aside. In the same pan, still on medium heat, brown the ground beef. Once the beef is cooked, tilt the pan and use a spoon to get rid of the grease/fat.

4. Reduce the heat a notch or two. Re-add the cooked veggies and the milk. Meat, cooked veggies and milk should now be in the skillet. Add a few more shakes of garlic and italian seasoning. Stir and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

5. While the meat/veg/milk is getting happy, dice the tomato. Seeds are optional (I remove
them...).

6. Add the beer and diced tomato. Little more garlic/italian seasoning/S&P. Stir and let it marry for
another 15 minutes.

7. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce. Stir well. Taste it -- if it needs more seasoning, add some. Add a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and a tablespoon of olive oil. Stir well, put the heat on low-
medium, and cover. Let it get happy for at least half an hour. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.

- When the sauce is almost ready, cook and drain the spaghetti. Either add the spag to the sauce's
pot or vice-versa. Mix it all up well.

Serve with Parmesan cheese on top.

prezbucky
July 18, 2010, 03:05 AM
The key to that recipe is to take your time; it should take at least one full hour. But believe me, it's not bad. It's relatively healthy -- plenty of all main food groups . It costs maybe five or six bucks and yields probably 5-7 lbs of spaghetti.

Throw in some garlic bread (bread/butter/garlic powder/italian seasoning; bake for about 5 mins at 350) and a salad and, well... you're kicking butt. And spaghetti's goodness is not just a "now" thing: leftover spaghetti is great.

Note: If you use Kroger or Hunt's spaghetti sauce, you'll prolly want to add about a teaspoon of sugar.

Not necessary with Prego/Ragu and most others -- they already have plenty of sugar in them.

prezbucky
August 3, 2010, 11:57 PM
So a handful of days ago I was a passenger in a three-car crash. Nobody was seriously injured -- one was complaining of back pain and went away in an ambulance, but the person was lucid. The driver of the car I was in had no chance to avoid the collision. Our impact took place at about 40mph and was off-center head-on into the back end of a car that had been heading the opposite direction but which was spun into our lane (smacked from behind -- she was in the process of waiting to make a left turn) almost 180 degrees around. So my driver had bruises on/around her knees, a mildly
bitten tongue, and seatbelt bruises. I was lucky -- sore chest, mildly stiff/sore neck. I woke up the next day feeling like I'd been sacked (hard) about ten times, but that feeling has
worn off the past few days and I'm more or less (I think...) okay.

At any rate, I'm back here to talk about guns -- not worrying about the crash, or work, or our
impending move. Glad am I to be alive, for if the car that was hammered into our lane had flipped,
I'd be taking a dirt nap. (we literally had no chance to miss that car). But the Lord kept that car on
the road, it was front to rear bumper, and we're breathing.

So: Ruger Mark III with the tapered barrel -- the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. Ruger
P95, maybe with a modified trigger; and the piece de resistance, the GP100 in stainless. And all
three for maybe $1200.

After that, who knows? We're headed to Pigeon Forge in a month for a long weekend (we need it) and before we know it it'll be T'giving and Christmas.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First Firearm -- My Wish List" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!