Ruger Mini-14 scoped or peep sight?

PDA

stinger 327
July 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
Just curious of how many of you out there have added scopes or kept the open sights and why?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini-14 scoped or peep sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hangingrock
July 6, 2010, 07:07 PM
I stayed with the “Ghost Ring Sights” which you refer to as open sights. My intended application is personal defense thus close range.

jimmyraythomason
July 6, 2010, 07:13 PM
I scoped both my Mini 14 and Mini 30. I can see the target much better with a scope.

Kjay
July 6, 2010, 07:28 PM
I recently added an Aimpoint 9000 red dot to my Mini. With my aging eyes makes for great for close range (100m) work.

stinger 327
July 6, 2010, 07:32 PM
I recently added an Aimpoint 9000 red dot to my Mini. With my aging eyes makes for great for close range (100m) work.
Is this that little scope with a red light in it but it does not magnify target? What does this cost?

Kjay
July 6, 2010, 07:39 PM
Th Aimpoint 9000 is a hunting model made to mount on regular 2 ring mount. The scope is large for a red dot but small modest for a regular scope. It's on sale at Midwayusa for $249 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=247648.

wally
July 6, 2010, 07:39 PM
I've got one scoped and one not. I shoot the open sight Mini a lot more often because its lighter and handier. I've other rifles that I prefer when a scope is desired (like a flat to AR).

The scoped Mini was my first centerfire rifle so its got sentimental value. I didn't have a lot of extra money back then so I slowly "accessorized" it since I couldn't afford another gun at that time. As my situation improved it was easier to simply buy another instead of reversing the changes.

desidog
July 6, 2010, 07:50 PM
The scoped Mini was my first centerfire rifle so its got sentimental value.

Me too. Back in the day in high school, a buddy and i walked into a local store. He did not believe that i could walk out with a rifle, a 30rd mag, and 100rds of ammo... so i bet him that i could do it with his credit card.

...and that is the story of the Stainless Ranch Rifle with a Weaver k4 that i got for free.

/She's still wearing the K4.

KMO
July 7, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've set mine up with either see-through rings or see-under rails in order to retain the use of my iron sights in addition to the optics. Some say you lose a good cheek weld with these mounts, but I don't find them problematic at all.

22-rimfire
July 7, 2010, 12:23 AM
I use the factory open sights. For my use, the open sights are a good match.

KBintheSLC
July 7, 2010, 12:29 AM
I kept both on my Mini 14... the irons can stay put while the scope is in place. The scope can easily be removed if needed. With a 2-7x scope, it shoots minute of torso at 300 yards. Good enough for me.

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 01:41 AM
I kept both on my Mini 14... the irons can stay put while the scope is in place. The scope can easily be removed if needed. With a 2-7x scope, it shoots minute of torso at 300 yards. Good enough for me.

I'm at this point right now if I add a scope to the Mini-14 I will have two sights. The open sights good for 50 yards which stay on the rifle and then the scope for 100 yrd shooting.
May end up doing the same on the Ruger 10/22 rifle too as I have the peep sight adjusted at 50 yards and maybe I'll set up the scope at 100 yards on this little .22 LR rifle.

KMO
July 7, 2010, 09:17 AM
Weaver offers some see-through rings for the 10/22 also...best of both worlds...;)

Maverick223
July 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
Weaver offers some see-through rings for the 10/22 also...best of both worlds..No in my experience. I had a set on a 10/22 and found that the view of the irons was difficult (but not obstructed) and a proper cheek weld was impossible for the scope. They now reside in the parts bin...probably destined for the scrap heap.

:)

jimmyraythomason
July 7, 2010, 12:56 PM
They now reside in the parts bin...probably destined for the scrap heap.
That's what happened to the ones I had!

Maverick223
July 7, 2010, 01:16 PM
That's what happened to the ones I had!...and the world is better off, I mean who doesn't like soda from a can? :p

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
Then again I have been told in times of civil unrest, riots etc. the open sights are preferred over the scope because rifle is easier to handle and with the open sights you can aim, shoot, and move alot faster in these situations that call for this vs. a scope which is basically slower shooting and sight acquisition though alot more clear to see target at distance if you get that chance since everything is happening so fast.

courtgreene
July 7, 2010, 02:46 PM
red dots are awesome on minis, mounting them can be hell on the older models though. mine's not really even mounted to the gun, just the hand-guard but it works and makes a really maneuverable rifle even better.

Sheepdog1968
July 7, 2010, 04:37 PM
I painted the front sight of a mini with fluorcescent orange Testor model paint and had the rear peep sight bored out to a proper ghost ring. That's how I use it and prefer it. I can keep on the target out to 200 yards and that is more than good enough for a social plinker/self defense weapon IMO.

ArmedBear
July 7, 2010, 04:45 PM
I left me Ranch Rifle alone (the previous version with the simpler sights). It isn't accurate enough to warrant a scope, so I kept it light and sleek.

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 06:16 PM
I left me Ranch Rifle alone (the previous version with the simpler sights). It isn't accurate enough to warrant a scope, so I kept it light and sleek.
That's the same thought I have for my Ruger 10/22 which is good at 50 yards because I can see the target.

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 06:17 PM
red dots are awesome on minis, mounting them can be hell on the older models though. mine's not really even mounted to the gun, just the hand-guard but it works and makes a really maneuverable rifle even better.
I was referring to the 3 inch orange dot I put out on the target at 100 yards is very difficult to see using the factory peep sight on a Mini-14 made in 1994.

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 06:20 PM
I stayed with the “Ghost Ring Sights” which you refer to as open sights. My intended application is personal defense thus close range.
Is this because it is faster to sight in target with open sights and slower with a scope?

Rail Driver
July 7, 2010, 06:22 PM
nevermind... lol

KMO
July 7, 2010, 07:41 PM
They now reside in the parts bin...probably destined for the scrap heap.

Maverick223...Are you having a yard sale any time soon? It might be worth a flight from AZ! :cool:

Hangingrock
July 7, 2010, 08:24 PM
stinger 327: Is this because it is faster to sight in target with open sights and slower with a scope?

Each of us may come to a different conclusion in regards to sighting systems.:)

For my envisioned/intended purpose the optical/electronic/mechanical sight systems while excellent are not KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).:what:;) I’m not trying to make the Mini-14 more than what it is so therefore the “Ghost Ring Sights meet my criteria.

That’s my usage. Your usage may require an optical sight. This doesn’t make my right and you wrong. Do what’s best for you.:D

Redneck with a 40
July 7, 2010, 08:30 PM
I scoped my Mini-14, I enjoy 100 yard target shooting with it, makes the target much easier to see. Last weekend, I printed (5) 2 inch groups with it, that's my best shooting day so far.:D

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 08:52 PM
Each of us may come to a different conclusion in regards to sighting systems.:)

For my envisioned/intended purpose the optical/electronic/mechanical sight systems while excellent are not KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).:what:;) I’m not trying to make the Mini-14 more than what it is so therefore the “Ghost Ring Sights meet my criteria.

That’s my usage. Your usage may require an optical sight. This doesn’t make my right and you wrong. Do what’s best for you.:D

You call them "Ghost rings"? Are these the factory iron sights or are they aftermarket iron added on sights like Williams?
Yes I agree on KISS sort of reminds me of a Glock.

stinger 327
July 7, 2010, 08:56 PM
I scoped my Mini-14, I enjoy 100 yard target shooting with it, makes the target much easier to see. Last weekend, I printed (5) 2 inch groups with it, that's my best shooting day so far.:D
I can probably get alot more accuracy out of the Mini-14 once I put a scope on it because at 100 yards unless it's a man sized target for the simple fact I can't see what I'm hitting on that paper without a spotting scope or binoculars or scope on rifle. I would think you would be able to squeeze out the maximum accuracy that the Mini-14 is capable of with a good scope.

Maverick223
July 8, 2010, 12:29 AM
Maverick223...Are you having a yard sale any time soon? It might be worth a flight from AZ!Yep, tomorrow morning...better hurry! :p

If you or anyone else wants the C-Thru 10/22 mounts you are welcome to them for the grand total of...shipping. PM me if you want em', I have been trying to pawn em' off on somebody for a couple of years now.

You call them "Ghost rings"? Are these the factory iron sights or are they aftermarket iron added on sights like Williams?Ghost rings are a type of aperture sight, they differ from the standard "peep" in that they have a much larger hole to peer through, but typically have a smaller overall aperture size (smaller ring + bigger hole). This allows for more light, faster target acquisition, and a larger field of view. It also results in a slight deterioration in accuracy when compared to conventional/target style aperture sights. These are most typically seen on rifles like the Marlin 1895GG and the like.

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 12:34 AM
Yep, tomorrow morning...better hurry! :p

If you or anyone else wants the C-Thru 10/22 mounts you are welcome to them for the grand total of...shipping. PM me if you want em', I have been trying to pawn em' off on somebody for a couple of years now.

Ghost rings are a type of aperture sight, they differ from the standard "peep" in that they have a much larger hole to peer through, but typically have a smaller overall aperture size (smaller ring + bigger hole). This allows for more light, faster target acquisition, and a larger field of view. It also results in a slight deterioration in accuracy when compared to conventional/target style aperture sights.

What brand? Williams?

Maverick223
July 8, 2010, 12:50 AM
What brand? Williams?Don't know for sure, but I think they may be old style Weavers (probably 15yrs old or so). They only have two screws holding the rings together (by design), but otherwise look similar to them. They're blued and have some scuffs, but are in workable condition; I don't know where the receiver screws are (perhaps reused?; I'll look for em' if you want it), but otherwise are intact and complete. Let me know if you want em'...

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have a Ranch Rifle that these guys went through for me:

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

man, does it shoot now...

I put an Eotech Holographic sight on it and I almost don't miss my AR.

d

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 01:59 AM
Don't know for sure, but I think they may be old style Weavers (probably 15yrs old or so). They only have two screws holding the rings together (by design), but otherwise look similar to them. They're blued and have some scuffs, but are in workable condition; I don't know where the receiver screws are (perhaps reused?; I'll look for em' if you want it), but otherwise are intact and complete. Let me know if you want em'...

Thank you for the offer.:)

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 02:00 AM
I have a Ranch Rifle that these guys went through for me:

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

man, does it shoot now...

I put an Eotech Holographic sight on it and I almost don't miss my AR.

d
Must have cost a small fortune to tune it.

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 02:07 AM
With the original rifle it was about 1500.00 total. Match SS barrel, trigger, truing up the bolt and more. Came out real nice.

d

DAdams
July 8, 2010, 10:24 AM
Picutures of all the setups would be very instructional (with components used itemized) as various Minis of various ages pose various challenges for mounting optics.

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 02:24 PM
:what: Toasterdon That's out of my price range.:uhoh: If I spent that kind of $$$ I would go with the AR. That's what made the Mini-14 so attractive at that time as it cost me brand new with composite stock in stainless steel (Ranch) $400.: plus I liked the handling and compact size of the rifle.

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 02:42 PM
Toasterdon That's out of my price range. If I spent that kind of $$$ I would go with the AR. That's what made the Mini-14 so attractive at that time as it cost me brand new with composite stock in stainless steel (Ranch) $400.: plus I liked the handling and compact size of the rifle.

Well, it's just out of your price range for a Mini, not for any rifle!

;)

Here in California, AR's are all gone, banned. I had one, but I could not bring myself to register it into the grandfathering program, so I gave it to my brother out of state.

But you can legally get a Ranch rifle or a Mini and have it worked over, and it will outshoot a stock AR, and cost the same or less depending on options. Heck, look at what people spend for nice 1911's! So, for 1500.00 I am very happy with mine and it still handles well and shoots great once I found reliable magazines. With the comp, it doesn't even go off-target with recoil. (pretty darn loud though... :eek:)

d

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 02:50 PM
Well, it's just out of your price range for a Mini, not for any rifle!

;)

Here in California, AR's are all gone, banned. I had one, but I could not bring myself to register it into the grandfathering program, so I gave it to my brother out of state.

But you can legally get a Ranch rifle or a Mini and have it worked over, and it will outshoot a stock AR, and cost the same or less depending on options. Heck, look at what people spend for nice 1911's! So, for 1500.00 I am very happy with mine and it still handles well and shoots great once I found reliable magazines. With the comp, it doesn't even go off-target with recoil. (pretty darn loud though... :eek:)

d
I see your point as everything is banned in the Republik of **********. Those Kimber 1911's are up there in price. At the time in 1998 when I got this Ranch Mini-14 with composite stock it was a great price. Now they have doubled in price as I have seen $799 and up and that's just for the Standard Model.
I wonder why the AR is banned and why the Mini-14 isn't? They shoot same caliber and have same action?:confused:

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
I see your point as everything is banned in the Republik of **********. Those Kimber 1911's are up there in price. At the time in 1998 when I got this Ranch Mini-14 with composite stock it was a great price. Now they have doubled in price as I have seen $799 and up and that's just for the Standard Model.
I wonder why the AR is banned and why the Mini-14 isn't? They shoot same caliber and have same action?

Shhhhh!

:banghead:

d

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
Shhhhh!

:banghead:

d

:uhoh::eek:

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'll get a scope for it and that should help because you can always remove the scope and still have the settings with the factory iron sights.:D

cowart
July 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Here in California, AR's are all gone, banned.

That's incorrect - see
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/

cowart
July 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
<<added scopes or kept the open sights>>

A conventional scope vs open sights are not the only options - there are also "scout" scope mounted scopes, red dot sights, and head-up displays.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/m4multiinst.jpg

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 03:54 PM
That's incorrect - see
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/

Here's what their site says:

We have a limited supply of complete California Legal AR-15's. These rifles are matched upper and lower configurations straight from the factory. Call for more details.

I called and got a machine.

Can you tell me more? Are these the break-top ones with non-removable magazines? If so, that does not fit my definition of an AR. If these are real AR's how are they selling them here, and why is the supply limited??

More information would be most helpful here.

thanks

d

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 05:21 PM
Here's what their site says:

We have a limited supply of complete California Legal AR-15's. These rifles are matched upper and lower configurations straight from the factory. Call for more details.

I called and got a machine.

Can you tell me more? Are these the break-top ones with non-removable magazines? If so, that does not fit my definition of an AR. If these are real AR's how are they selling them here, and why is the supply limited??

More information would be most helpful here.

thanks

d
I think for it to be CA legal it has to have that lock on the magazine.:uhoh::eek:

stinger 327
July 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
<<added scopes or kept the open sights>>

A conventional scope vs open sights are not the only options - there are also "scout" scope mounted scopes, red dot sights, and head-up displays.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/m4multiinst.jpg

:uhoh:Don't know about those what do they cost?:confused:

Toasterdon
July 8, 2010, 05:40 PM
I think for it to be CA legal it has to have that lock on the magazine.

Think you're right, and there were a couple of other changes as well if I remember correctly.

That's not an AR. Not for me at least.

Without detachable mags, I would rather use the Garand. Heck of a lot more power too.

dc

stinger 327
July 9, 2010, 12:44 AM
Think you're right, and there were a couple of other changes as well if I remember correctly.

That's not an AR. Not for me at least.

Without detachable mags, I would rather use the Garand. Heck of a lot more power too.

dc

:uhoh:Only in the Republik of KA:what:

Toasterdon
July 9, 2010, 12:49 AM
Tell me about it!

grrrrrr!

:fire:

d

stinger 327
July 9, 2010, 12:56 AM
Tell me about it!

grrrrrr!

:fire:

d
CA has a DOJ approved firearms list approved for sale in CA. There is a nice little gun a Desert Mirco Mini .380 and even that gun isn't on the list.:what::scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini-14 scoped or peep sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!