favorite non-target targets

PDA

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 12:11 PM
Another thread on here got me thinking what are some of yalls favorite non target targets.
For example balloons or quarters and watermelons. But what else do u like to shoot holes in?

If you enjoyed reading about "favorite non-target targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robby101
July 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
Water filled milk jugs, I'm told if you freeze them, its even more spectacular.

68wj
July 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
2 liter bottles filled with water for fun. playing card turned sideways for friendly rivalries:cool:

danprkr
July 8, 2010, 12:21 PM
Water filled milk jugs, I'm told if you freeze them, its even more spectacular.

I'll have to try that.:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Arkansas Paul
July 8, 2010, 12:23 PM
I never throw away milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles. I do the same as the posters above. Fill em with water, set them about 50 yds away, and blast away with the .45 Colt. Pretty fun stuff. I'm gonna have to freeze them just to see what the hype is about.

Rail Driver
July 8, 2010, 12:30 PM
I use golf balls and tennis balls. Keeps my skills up in both accuracy, range estimation and speed of sight acquisition. Plus it's fun to watch those golf and tennis balls zing around when they're hit :D

longdayjake
July 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
5 gallon bucket of tannerite.

APIT50
July 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
Find whatever off brand soda is on sale for $4 a case and leave em out in the sun. High powered rifle rounds and these create fairly inexpensive reactive targets just bring a trash bag because the shreds of cans makes for a pretty sticky mess.

blutarsky
July 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
1) i picked up a couple bags of water-balloon balloons from walmart a couple years ago, these are pretty small balloons meant to be filled with water, but i blow them up, they're the size of an apple or so at their largest. set those out at 100 yards with either clothespins or staple them to the board and have at 'em. don't forget to clean up the pieces of any, but i've had good luck with the burst balloon rubber just staying attached to the clothespins/staples.

2) necco wafer candies. about the size of a quarter i guess and biodegradable. good fun for shooting 50-100 yards with a .22 ;) many ways to secure them to target, but clothespins seem to work okay in a pinch (or glue/tape a bunch to sheets of paper before you go to range?). if you're shooting with a kid or someone new or who doesn't shoot often, actually seeing things break instead of making indistinguishable holes is a great thing.

3) clays! very common of course. a lot of folks where i go just set them on the ground on the berm, but you can also pick up some clips (forget the manufacturer) that you can stab into a piece of cardboard and they hold the clays very well. we usually shoot the clays first with a larger caliber pistol and then go back and clean up the small pieces with a .22 -- that's always fun.

falmike
July 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hogs, big nasty-looking, great tasting, Hogs! :D

robby101
July 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Whoa baby, got to try that APIT50!

Legionnaire
July 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
+1 on cans of cheap soda (+2 on picking up the trash afterwards).

Use a table saw to cut a shallow groove lengthwise in one of the wider sides of a length of 2x4. In that groove stand: Ritz crackers, Neco wafers, pennies ... you get the idea. Works great until some kid decides to shoot the 2x4. Make him be the one to go down and set up all the displaced targets, and he'll be a bit more careful about hitting the wood next time around.

Empty tin cans placed over the top of stakes in the ground make good reactive targets for .22s that don't have to be set up every time they're hit.

svtruth
July 8, 2010, 01:17 PM
a Ritz cracker thrower. You can shoot at em with a shot gun.

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 01:20 PM
How does one fair when shooting ritz crackers with .223s I guess I sort of rolling ritz cracker?
Maybee have a friend roll one and shoot it on the move?

Rail Driver
July 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
a Ritz cracker thrower. You can shoot at em with a shot gun.

Sounds like a great idea... Who wants to shoot "target crackers" with me? Bring your own .22LR loaded up with #12 shot!

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/178005.jpg

robby101
July 8, 2010, 01:27 PM
Legionnaire, You could take wooden clothes pins and screw one leg to the 2X4, seems like that would hold them tight.

Larry Ashcraft
July 8, 2010, 01:32 PM
Paint balls sitting on golf tees.

claiborne
July 8, 2010, 01:41 PM
I go to chinamart and pick up cheap soda and lots of eggs when they are on sale. I need to try the frozen water jug trick. there is always some junk laying around the shooting range aswell like pieces of clays and shotgun shells.

Buzzard
July 8, 2010, 01:48 PM
Empty soda cans and beer cans have a built-in target hangar; the pull tab. Tie one end of a string around a short stick and the other around a branch. Put the stick through the pull-tab's hole. Now you'll have a really reactive target! You don't have to cut the can down when it gets too shot up; just take the can down. To change targets merely run the stick back through the pull tab of another can. Run out of cans? Shoot the stick!

Empty tin cans over a stake work pretty well, until you break the stick. Full tin cans only when the food inside is long expired and the can is further than 100 yards. Them suckers really pop when hit. Plastic usually gets recycled instead of shot because of clean-up troubles. A peanut butter jar makes a nice target when laid on end, but when hit it tends to shatter rather badly. When you fill 'em up with water they grenade on impact. And those little bits of plastic are a @%/^$ to find. Which is why you take a BIG cardboard box, turn it on it's side, and put the explosive plastic stuff inside it. You can still make plastic go BANG while containing the mess. Both plastic and cardboard can still be recycled. Just pour out the plastic into a bag. Most of the time you won't find a box big enough, though.

Other favorites include...

Charcoal briquettes, necco wafers, expired chips of any brand, tennis balls (shotgun), golf balls (rifle/pistol), desktop mini-calendar pages, drug ads from any magazine (bonus points for hitting the logo!), out-dated or otherwise useless business cards, worn-out decks of cards (longtime favorite), worn-out non-plastic/rubber cat toys, bookmarks, used post-it notes, coins of all makes (Canadian change!), M&Ms or other candies glued to a backer, those really cheesy "collector's" tins that some food comes in, candles of all makes, metal lids from jars of various sauces, cardboard cereal/snack boxes (empty dufus!), your ex's favorite stuffed toy, those Jack's Head antenna toppers, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

jjr0419
July 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
empty cans, shotgun shells, pumpkins, satsumas

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 01:53 PM
I was wanting to try bigger ballons filled with flour. I was thinking if you inflate a balloon and quickly slide it over a open bottle filled with flour that the pressure should equalize and the flour fall into the balloon

oldbear
July 8, 2010, 01:55 PM
Any 1 liter or bigger jug filled with water and red dye.

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 01:56 PM
Jr what is a satsuma?

parsimonious_instead
July 8, 2010, 02:20 PM
Soda cans that I wrap in bright green office paper... great idea on the ice thing - I'll have to try that, too. Glad my range allows plinking.

My "fantasy" target is one of the fuel-filled barrels marked with a glowstick during the Knob Creek Night Shoot. Seems like only shooters on the line get to do that, or perhaps their closest pals, but one can dream...

Cosmoline
July 8, 2010, 02:24 PM
Spruce trees and 55 gallon drums. From which I've learned not to try to hide behind spruce trees or 55 gallon drums.

wishin
July 8, 2010, 02:29 PM
Golf balls are fun and challenging.

crazydaysorg
July 8, 2010, 03:39 PM
Frozen milk jugs are not that exciting with a 9mm. Perhaps something larger or with a rifle or shot gun would be more exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05okGGPG9k

kbbailey
July 8, 2010, 03:49 PM
I buy seed for our farm in heavy paper bags. At the end of planting season we may have 500 bags in a pile. I take a utility knife and split them, then staple them to a pallet against my backstop. Makes for a nice clean target for sighting in. After the range session, just pull 'em down, toss in a match, and your done 'till next time.

Paper plates are about right for sighting in slug guns and blackpowder rifles, for deer season.

gbran
July 8, 2010, 04:04 PM
Drill a 13ga x 3 inch hole in a 4x4, insert a 12 ga shotgun and try to hit the primer with a .22 or .17 rimfire from a safe distance. It's harder than you'd think, but pretty rewarding one successful.

Legionnaire
July 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
Paint balls sitting on golf tees. Gonna try this one ...

StoneDog
July 8, 2010, 06:24 PM
Tannerite can be a pretty fun alternative to paper targets

Plastic redcoat army men can also be fun and very challenging. Try headshots on a 2" plastic figure at 25 meters...

TCB in TN
July 8, 2010, 07:30 PM
I have done a number of different things. Big fan of water bottles and rifle rounds, used bowling ball, old non-working computer equipment, golf balls, coins, cheap plastic lighters (lit at night), apples/oranges/cucumbers/tomatoes (when they are going bad), eggs (had to get rid of the kids easter eggs some how), cheap shaving creme cans, Charcoal briquets, etc.

Some involve more clean up than others.

JHK94
July 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
My uncle got a bunch of old christmas decorations....A big plastic Santa and some reindeer. The lights didn't work anymore, the paint was real faded...and man, they were fun to tear up.

crawfobj
July 8, 2010, 07:51 PM
Tannerite. If you haven't tried it you should. Try it in the chamber of a cinderblock and watch the cinderblock disappear.

For nighttime fun, tape one or more glow sticks to a bottle of tannerite. The glowing mist and glowing coating on the ground is impressive.

crawfobj
July 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
Search tannerite on youtube sometime, especially the ones involving old washing machines or buckets of ice.

BigDeesul
July 8, 2010, 08:00 PM
Pumpkins, bowling pins, Basketballs, spraypaint cans, empty r134a tanks, exploding golf balls.

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 08:17 PM
I actually have about 30 bowling pins at home in texas I bought for a couple dollars each.
I haven't got a place to shoot them. Most ranges at home find it unsafe to shoot anything but paper.

konfederate.kowboy
July 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
I actually have about 30 bowling pins at home in texas I bought for a couple dollars each.
I haven't got a place to shoot them. Most ranges at home find it unsafe to shoot anything but paper.

oldfool
July 8, 2010, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a great idea... Who wants to shoot "target crackers" with me? Bring your own .22LR loaded up with #12 shot!

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/178005.jpg
they used to make those things in-the-way-back-when, always wanted one, never got one, and 22 shotshells is exactly what they were for, too !
would be a hoot out of a single shot 22 cheapo rifle, like maybe a Favorite or NEF

tried the paintballs, but just wasn't enough splash to fully satisfy the child within
the half size cheapo soda pop cans splash good w/ a 38 revolver at 75 yards, but use 'em up too quick, too much walking to seet 'em up
dandelions, when in bloom, make fair targets for a 22, and no walking downrange required to set 'em up

but I still have to vote for hard foam practice golfballs and baseballs for most durable fun, provided you watch your backstop, hits count, long bounces get extra points, but high bounces gets big bonus points... the gold medal goes to whoever gets 2nd hit before they come to rest... or whoever runs 'em downrange further/fastest

have oft thought of frozen or semi-frozen jello in small somethings, never got around to trying it out, though... some in a small balloon maybe ???

Marc257
July 8, 2010, 08:58 PM
charcoal briquettes, asprin, dum-dum sucker, and cow piles. When I was young and dumb we used to take empty baby food jars filled with gasoline and set them in front of a candle.:eek: Very dangerous, but interesting.

Palehorseman
July 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
Rocks, always different sizes, shapes and distances, and here in the Arizona desert, never a shortage of targets. Plus I enjoy the sound of a big cast boolit smacking them.

Seattleimport
July 9, 2010, 02:40 PM
Cheapo model airplanes, suspended from branches or pipe. Most fun when shooting with BB gun.

For bullets: old PC monitors, juicy fruit (oranges, grapefruit, and such), CDs/DVDs, shaken soda cans.

Wyo_F-A
July 9, 2010, 02:57 PM
prairie dogs! never in short supply!

Roswell_Kid
July 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
OK, entirely incorrect use of fossil fuel etc. etc., but Marc257´s baby food jar on a large scale...

Way back many years ago we did that at my uncle´s ranch in the NM desert, out in a huge pit dug for road material. Fill a 5 gallon plastic jug with gasoline, seal the top tight, set it up on an old table or something else to get it a couple feet off the ground. Strike a road flare and set it about fifteen feet behind the table (downrange), then shoot the jug with a very powerful weapon.

The bullet energy vaporizes the gasoline and you get what looks like a miniature nuclear explosion back over the road flare. The more energy in the round, the better the result. 50 BMG a half hour after sunset makes an unforgettable impression.

FightDiary
July 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
Bowling pin or a playing card for a smaller target.

OkieOFT
July 9, 2010, 03:52 PM
Lava lamps. Looks like a firework going off. Only when shooting stuff in a dump though, wouldn't want to blow glass all over a real range.

Hatterasguy
July 9, 2010, 04:11 PM
Water bottle caps, and once in awhile a big rock so I can slam a 7.62x54 steel core round into it and watch the dust fly.:D

My favorite game is shooting 7.62x54R through steel...they say its not AP...but it makes pretty holes through 3/8 and 1/4 plate.

Zoidberg523
July 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
One of my favorites is to buy dollar store soda ($1 for four 16 oz cans, six 12 oz cans, or one 3 liter) and pop them with my 22 mag. BOOM.

I also enjoy putting soup and coffee cans on knee- and waist-high weeds and saplings.

wow6599
July 9, 2010, 06:16 PM
Small Coleman type propane tanks, a gasoline line of fire in front of them and tracer rds. Very fun.

loadedround
July 9, 2010, 06:29 PM
I shoot someting no one has mentioned yet and make excellent 100 and 200 rd targets when you're tired of shooting paper targets. I save the aluminum(tin) lids from canned goods and OJ cans and have a collection of various sizes. They can be stapled to a target backstop and used as a target by themselves. They have nice contrast against the target backstop and are fun to shoot...cheap too. :)

ColeK
July 9, 2010, 06:40 PM
Campaign yard signs, and no I don’t shoot them in the yard. After an election I pickup as many as I can find and take them to the camp house or range.

briney11
July 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
Old expired soup cans are pretty fun to shoot. Dogs love the aftermath.

Harley Rider 55
July 9, 2010, 06:56 PM
Full cans of cheap shaving cream. Unopened generic soda cans that have been given a good shaking.

General Geoff
July 9, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hard drives. :)

http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/images/hdd.JPG

del4
July 9, 2010, 08:46 PM
Jr what is a satsuma?
A satsuma is a type of mandran(sp) grown here in La. Sorta like an orange.

NoAlibi
July 9, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fill plastic 35mm film canisters with flour and replace cap.

Especially spectacular when hit by a very fast moving projectile, ie., .223Rem., etc.

DeepSouth
July 9, 2010, 09:36 PM
Has no one mentioned Cow Piles?:what:

I spent a many a day walking around oru farm shooting cow crap with my 22 when I was a youngster, Sometimes I do it now but I'm to lazy to get off the porch so I have to shoot further.

kbbailey
July 9, 2010, 10:31 PM
oh yeah...forgot an old favorite...
empty primer trays.

loki.fish
July 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
A question to those who shoot electronic stuff, what do you do to make the cleanup easier? I have alot of interesting electronics I'd like to shoot, but hesitant on it because of the clean up.

Harley Rider 55
July 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Full propane bottles.

chicharrones
July 11, 2010, 11:45 PM
Happy meal toys that come in fast food kids meals are fun targets.

I'm gonna be sad when my kids are too big for fast food kids meals.

Olympus
October 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
Found this thread and it reminded me of some of my favorite shooting memories from growing up. I remember when I first started learning to shoot, it wasn't much fun just shooting paper. So dad had the idea to start using all my old toys that I had grown out of as targets. So all my old action figures, toy trucks, and anything else in the toybox that was big enough to shoot, got taken out to this old gravel pit we shot in and set up on a board. Looking back, I think he had as much or more fun than I did. He would shoot pistols and I'd shoot 22 rifles. We'd challenge each other to see who could shoot Batman's head off first or who could take GI Joe's leg off first. Some of my favorite shooting memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

rattletrap1970
October 21, 2010, 09:36 AM
Necco wafers (200 yard targets).

doc2rn
October 21, 2010, 09:41 AM
Liquid Nitrogen and anything edible!

Franco2shoot
October 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Here's one nobody has mentioned... Disk Brake rotors... My Mosin Nagant makes pretty holes big enough to pass a #2 pencil through at 100 yards... pretty impressive. That and a pumpkin filled with water and plugged. You get a nice orange halo when the P'kin is struck with a high power like .308 at or near the bottom.
See this youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsFo3ycdg0
KKKKFL

Jonah71
October 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
Lately it's been old bowling pins.

uspJ
October 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
9" Paper plates and playing cards for pistols. Pill bottle caps glued to a 2x4 for rifles. Another of my favorites is to take a small peice of pvc pipe and wrap it in different color sections of tape, drive into the ground and try cutting it down one color at a time.

Acera
October 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/300Acera/Guns/PA050072.jpg?t=1287671123

KSgunnut
October 21, 2010, 11:28 AM
I enjoy shooting hedge apples with a .22. It is a lot of fun to give them a roll throught the pasture and chase them down. But that probably explains why there are so many hedge trees sprouting up out there now.

MrOldLude
October 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Women and children. (You don't have to lead-them as much)

pro2
October 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Blowing the hell out of crappy mags that malfunction is very satisfying.

This is a great time of year for pumpkins and squash, both large and small.... fun, cheap targets.

wh!plash
October 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
A satsuma is a type of mandran(sp) grown here in La. Sorta like an orange.

Yeah, its like an orange, but its seedless and the peel is very loosely attached to the fruit. They're awesome because you can basically peel the whole thing in one piece with your thumb, and then eat the whole fruit without worrying about seeds.

//I see you're in Walker, I'm from Baton Rouge too

leadcounsel
October 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
Cleanup the mess...

Some stuff that is particularly fun to shoot can be harmful to the environment. Electronics may have mercury, small bits of broken glass, etc. Make sure you clean up your mess.

Dale M
October 21, 2010, 05:53 PM
I would never use cheap soda the bang just isn't there,,,gotta buy coke or pepsi something with a lot af carbination.

But as far as other targets,,old bowling balls you can get them at yard sales for as little as a buck,,set them up at least 50-75 yds and blast away,,and so far the only gun I have that will split them is my AK

Mr.510
October 21, 2010, 05:54 PM
Ice. Fill a tupperware or other plastic bowl or drinking glass with water and stick it in the freezer. Once it's frozen pop the chunk of ice out and repeat until your freezer is full. There are all sorts of shapes and sizes available, almost any plastic container will work as long as it has enough taper that the ice will come out of the "mold". Add a drop or two of food coloring if you want a variety of colors. My favorite mold is a commercial SS milkshake cup but I have to run hot water on the outside and knock it on a cutting board for the ice to release. I take an ice chest full of them and blast them from 100 yards with my .308. It never gets boring and there is no cleanup or environmental damage as it's just water!

:)

jnyork
October 21, 2010, 05:56 PM
Prairie dogs. ;)

Steve 48
October 21, 2010, 06:00 PM
No hunting signs!! Only those they lease to the Outfitters.

Steve 48
October 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Just kidding!!! I do have a strong temptation though.

azyogi
October 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you
hit the target."

phoglund
October 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Have to agree with General Geoff, hard drives are great for targets. Good size, usually take several hits, quite reactive. Plus, if you do computer tech support as I do it's a great way of making sure any personal data on the drives is safe from prying eyes!

Paul

CoastieShep
October 21, 2010, 09:13 PM
bb gun co2 canisters are always fun.
Most fun was a half gallon metal can of white gas (old stuff found at the shooting spot up in Kodak) in front of a small fire and a .223 about 70 yds. away. Big ball of fire. Don't worry, no fire hazard since it was the middle of winter and everything was coated in snow and ice.

joejoeshooter
October 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Any Dollar store. About as much fun buying the stuff as going to shoot it.

jjs

joejoeshooter
October 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
For the record:

When you shoot a keg with a .223 it goes through - both sides.

When you shoot it with a 45 acp - it'll throw it back at you.

jjs

GLOOB
October 21, 2010, 10:03 PM
One day I tried a variety of different melons and squash. In my current estimation (with just limited data of 1 squash, mind you), the Rolls Royce of reactive produce for pistol calibers is the butternut squash.

They don't vaporize with 1 shot, like a watermelon. They don't do nothing, as will a pumpkin and most other members of the squash family. They react just enough to see from a distance, are fairly durable, and yet apparently if you hit just the right spot, they will explode.

Of all the produce I shot that day, the butternut squash acted most like a movie zombie. :)

twofifty
October 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
2qt. waxed cardboard milk containers, filled with water.

Jonah71
October 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
The 2004 PC Notebook I'm currently using is very much in danger of becomming my next target.

JPG1911
October 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
was shooting my(then) newly scoped SKS with a friend, he began to get upset that i was outshooting him, so he kept suggesting smaller and smaller targets.

"bet you can't hit a bottlecap" at 50 yards this was no trouble, put two holes in it quickly

"bet you can't hit a screw!!" he proceeded to drill a 3" drywall screw vertically into the top of the homemade target stand i had constructed, leaving about 1.5" of the screw exposed

"can't see it from here" i said

he stuck a white note card behind it to give contrast and my first shot blew the screw in half

have also shot at and hit:

golf balls
empty shell casings/shotgun shell hulls
small ceramic figurines from the dollar store
old hard drives
capacitors - makes confetti
circuit boards - multiple tiny targets on each one
ping pong balls
try to shoot the nock off an arrow stuck in the ground vertically
rebar stuck in the ground vertically
coins
phone books
any piece of tech that has bricked
hard boiled eggs
vacuum cleaner - dont ask
steel doors are very fun to shoot with a 12ga
cut down saplings with as few shots as possible(small calibre)
shooting water balloons out of the air is quite entertaining
primers on live shotgun shells or rimfire rounds with a pellet gun

found out years ago that you can drop a finishing nail down the barrel of a cocked/loaded .177 cal pellet rifle and it will surprise you what this will penetrate; ammo cans, brass door knob, steel door, cinder block/brick. once pinned a squirrel to a tree in this fashion, he felt no pain, it was a headshot:D

mtuttle617
October 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
Old condimint packets, like katchup, etc... small and they make some mess. Just a tip though, even out the contents firt, otherwise you may hit the top but all the katchup is at the bottom.

jcwit
October 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
This thread seems to have alot of folks with very trashy ranges.

Buzzard
October 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
This thread seems to have alot of folks with very trashy ranges.

I won't presume to answer for the previous posters, but I'll happily state that I routinely carry out a trash bag or two full of stuff every time I go shooting. Including my own mess. On the occasion when the mess is bigger than I can handle myself, I'll usually wait an hour to see if anyone else shows up that can help. And I won't put rounds into those large items. Ever.

Got $86 between myself and two others for appliances we recycled and found brass/hulls I sold last year. Those mess makers paid for 70-odd percent of my reloading components! I don't know who they were, but thanks guys!

Shimitup
October 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
So I'm not the only one to shoot hard drives! My friends in the IT biz love to put my by products (bullet riddled cases and HD's) on the shelf in their offices, great conversation pieces.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/shimitup/P1020240.jpg

osprey176
October 23, 2010, 02:07 AM
Armadillos of course! AKA Mobile Ballistic Gelatin. you wanna talk about reactive,they dance!biodegradeable too.(buzzards just love em) whats not to like?:)

xcgates
October 23, 2010, 04:03 AM
The 2004 PC Notebook I'm currently using is very much in danger of becomming my next target.

+1, except swap for a netbook that I have been using exclusively for about 7 months of living in hotel rooms, with a short stint in my new house.

Ky Larry
October 23, 2010, 05:51 AM
Plastic water bottles with a few drops of food dye. Just before I shoot them, I drop 1/4 Alka-Seltzer tab in them. VERY reactive. A hoot at 100 yrds with a .22 rifle.

FROGO207
October 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
I winterize a fair amount of cottages in the fall and get hundreds of gallon antifreeze jugs. I save them for targets also. They are easy to store--put a rope through the handles and hang from the rafters in the garage. 25 are then manageable to easily store. I do like to fill them with water, jello, flour that is old, the gasoline trick with an expired 3 minute flare from a local boatyard--makes you fast to run back and shoot at a safe distance. Note: Private pit and I do clean up with a rake to get the plastic bits once a month.:D

toolmanroberts
October 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
I shoot discarded fruits and vegatables with a 223 REM. There is ussually no clean-up needed. Old bowling pins will take hundreds of hits from just about anything. I still have many empty refrigerant containers, and propane tanks but not not many things are as reactive as the fruits and vegtables.

M2 Carbine
October 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
So I'm not the only one to shoot hard drives! My friends in the IT biz love to put my by products (bullet riddled cases and HD's) on the shelf in their offices, great conversation pieces
Before you shoot the hard drive you might consider removing the powerful magnet. Such magnets can be useful around the house.
For instance I use them for gun and magazine storage, like in one of my gun safes. (the duct tape over the magnet is only to prevent possibly scratching the gun)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/GunSafedoor.jpg

I also use the HD magnets in my shop to hang tools, parts, etc.

jahwarrior
October 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
aerosol paint cans are fun to shoot, especially the red ones. i've been thinking about doing bullet art, actually. watermelons are fun to shoot, too.

also fun, in a different way, are butcher shop pigs. there's no spectacular display or anything, but i like to retrieve my rounds to see how they behaved. then i take my pig home to eat it. it makes for a fun pig roast.

Yoda
October 23, 2010, 10:26 AM
I use those paper plates decorated with cartoon characters, like the ones you might buy for a child's "theme" birthday party. My favorite is "Barney."

- - - Yoda

FROGO207
October 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
Went to a friends today and we shot in his back yard. One of the things we shot was an old can of expandable foam. Used a 223 and was that fun!!!:what: Foam squirted out of the small holes for several minutes and splattered all around. He laughed and said he would clean the mess up tomorrow after it hardens up.:D

sherman123
October 23, 2010, 08:23 PM
Balloons and milk jugs full of water that I froze into blocks of ice

shootsenmeister
October 24, 2010, 07:37 AM
Golf balls using a semi auto 22lr! Most golf driving ranges will sell a bucket of balls for just a couple of bucks.:D

The game is to not only hit em but to keep them moving!

If you enjoyed reading about "favorite non-target targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!