Sig SP2022 vs. P250

PDA

bgrav321
July 8, 2010, 09:28 PM
If the pricing difference from the vendor is negligible, which one? I do not care for long DAO triggers, but the 250c seems to be a bit more compact, and just a touch lighter. Purpose is CCW (I can only carry part time though due to work/school) as well as any other situation, backpacking, end of the world, home defense.

Glad for all opinions, but if anyone has carried either or both, I would be especially thankful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig SP2022 vs. P250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Welding Rod
July 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have a P250, full size 9mm. The DAO trigger is fantastic.... provided you like DAO triggers. As a former revolver shooter I do.

The P250 seems to have a sketchy rap on the forums. I have only put 350 rounds through mine, with 6 different loads. I have had 1 failure to fully go into battery when I limp writed it with bent loose elbows. Other than that, no problems. Seems to be a very innovative and efficient design.

Personally I have no use for the modularity aspect other than it makes stripping for cleaning a breeze. But it still seems like a well done gun to me, so far.

Anyhow there are good deals to be had on them as they don't seem to be very popular. I paid $449 for mine new.

I am not familiar with the other gun you mention.

bgrav321
July 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
Bump...anyone else?

md7
July 9, 2010, 05:18 PM
bgrav321,

i cant comment on the P250 as i have never fired one. as for the 2022, the single action triggers on them are very nice, and the DA trigger is one of the smoothest i have fired, even compared to the P226. and they fit my hands pretty good. that may or may not be the case for you.

imho, the 2022 is one of, if not the, most underated pistols on the market.

Strahley
July 9, 2010, 08:07 PM
I've owned both, I greatly prefer the SP2022

P250 - felt great in hand. Trigger, for what it was, was really nice. Trigger, for what the gun was, sucked. By that I mean I hated having a long DAO trigger for a 15 round 9mm. That with the fact that the slide would not stay locked back (with 3 different mags, wouldn't stay locked back when hand cycling either), I ended up trading it in. The only P250 I would ever buy again would be a sub-compact in .45...if SIG ever gets around to making them

SP2022 - felt pretty good in hand, great DA/SA trigger. Grouped very well, I just couldn't place my groups where I wanted. Already had my role of a "polymer service pistol" covered by a Glock 19, so I eventually traded it off for a different CCH gun

Copernicus
July 13, 2010, 04:10 PM
I own the p250 compact in .40 and I love it. I have put 350-400 rounds thru it with only one FTF and I'm pretty sure that was due to a limpwristed shot. It is a breeze to clean. I agree with the uselessness of the modular concept of it since the conversion kits are nearly impossible to find other than 9mm and they are expensive. Other than that I highly reccomed the p250

Kingofthehill
July 13, 2010, 04:44 PM
Ive owned both and i still have the 2022.

I didn't like the P250. the whole modular idea was cool but its too expensive to really mess with that aspect of the gun. Maybe if the trigger was better and the gun was more refined it would be worth mixing and matching but i couldn't justify the price to transform it when it was (in my opinion) transforming from crap to a different sized piece of crap.

The 2022 is a great gun. I have just under 20,000 through mine now and it has only had 2 problems and those were both ammo issues (no powder in 1 and a faulty primer in another). Its very accurate and i like the trigger/decocker/dao/sao setup on the gun. I really like this model and i often remind people of it because they seem to slip under the radar so often.

JOe

killchain
July 13, 2010, 09:39 PM
I owned the full size P250 in .45ACP. 10+1 capacity.

That DAO trigger was absolutely terrible. I suppose if I had grown up shooting DAO revolvers I would have liked it... but I didn't.

It seemed like as you fired rounds and the pistol got lighter, the shot patterns got wilder. It might have been the weight discrepancy.

It also hit consistently low 1 1/2in and left 2in at 7 yards.

I sold it off and bought an FNP45, and have not regretted it for one second.

YMMV.

John Wayne
July 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
I've been looking at the P250 as well. I don't really think the modularity thing is practical (it's quite cost-prohibitive), but the 250 is still hands-down the cheapest SIG you can buy. It's also a good bit thinner and lighter than most other Sigs.

I like the DAO trigger -- it's really smooth and simple. The only thing that worries me is that it's very light and long...making it easy for a revolver shooter to shoot accurately, but it's long enough to make me concerned that I would short stroke it during rapid fire rather than allowing it to reset completely.

basicblur
July 14, 2010, 01:12 AM
Never carried my SP2022-would appear to be a little on the large size for CC?
'Bout the only thing bad I can say 'bout it is it would probably sell better if the grips were smaller-they're borderline being too big for my hand.

Bought one a few years ago-back then they included 3 mags and the second backstrap. Decided to replace my 12+ year old Sigma bed gun a couple months back, and bought another SP2022 only to find they now come with only 2 mags and no second backstrap.

It does make a great house gun etc, and the DA pull makes for great dry fire practice (does anybody do that any more?).
BTW-I was listening to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Podcast-Tiger McKee was on and kinda recommended 90% of your training could be done with dry fire!

AFA the 250...well, mama said if you can't say anything good... :scrutiny:

bgrav321
July 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
I am not a big revolver shooter. My folks have a nice Smith and Wesson .357 that has a nice DA trigger, but I cannot shoot that well with it, I almost always end up cocking it before I fire. This makes me wonder if an SP2022 wouldn't be better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig SP2022 vs. P250" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!