Statement of inheritance

PDA

Grayrock
July 8, 2010, 11:22 PM
I had some guns stolen, some of which I inherited when my father died. Insurance now needs proof of ownership in the form of a statement regarding the inheritance. My mother will sign whatever she needs to in order for me to be compensated. How would a statement like this be worded?

If you enjoyed reading about "Statement of inheritance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sebastian the Ibis
July 8, 2010, 11:27 PM
If it is in your fathers will. That would be the easiest solution. You can probably pull a copy from the probate file.

Grayrock
July 8, 2010, 11:30 PM
Nope- not in will directly. Everything went to Mom. She has no interest in the guns, but knows I did. So technically, the will made them hers, and she gifted them to me. But the upshot is, I inherited them.

GoingQuiet
July 8, 2010, 11:42 PM
I would word it as an affadavit. Write up a statement declaring who your mother is, who your father is, your dad passed on the collection to mom who passed it along to you.

Then have it notarized.

22-rimfire
July 9, 2010, 12:45 AM
I would list the guns as best as records indicate. If they want the form notarized, they will tell you, but they will certainly want a copy of the police report. If you put something untrue in a police report, it is a crime. So the insurance company wants this.

If you have serial numbers. List them. If not, list the model numbers. I would list condition honestly and use the current Blue Book as a starter for values. I doubt I would go to the trouble of searching recent auction prices, but that is your business.

I would have the letter (form) signed by your Mother since they are technically hers in terms of any inheritance. You can sign it too, if it makes you more comfortable.

wishin
July 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
How would a statement like this be worded?
To Whom It May Concern:

The below noted firearms were stolen on <date> from my <location>. These guns were indirectly inherited from my father, <name>, insofar as he left them to my mother <name> who in turn gave them to me as a gift. Enclosed please find a copy of the police report, a copy of my father's will, and a signed statement from my mother verifying and attesting to the above. Thank you for your prompt action in the matter.

Cosmoline
July 9, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure there's any such thing as an indirect inheritance. It was really just a gift from a family member.

Fremmer
July 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like they want something in writing and signed. Start with the signed letter, use affidavit if necessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Statement of inheritance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!