What does your permit allow you to carry?

PDA

NoAlibi
July 10, 2010, 12:29 AM
In pamphlet written by The Florida Secretary of State the following weapons are permitted by law to be concealed on a person with a permit. I Googled "Florida Statute 790.06" and found that the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services is now the regulatory authority and The Jack Hagler Self-defense Act is still as originally stated (If Florida's online services are up to the millisecond - use due caution anyway)

The Jack Hagler Self-defense Act (Section 790.06 Florida Statutes) allows:

Handguns
Electronic weapons or devices
Tear gas guns
Knives
Billies

If you can carry a handgun and since these weapons are no more deadly, it makes sense that it should also be permissible to carry them concealed.

So, what does your state concealed permit allow you to carry?

If you enjoyed reading about "What does your permit allow you to carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
F40
July 10, 2010, 12:31 AM
Anything you can legally own. Including NFA stuff.

armoredman
July 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
Yep, I knew a guy here in AZ who carried a suppressed select fire MAC 11 in an SMZ rig with two 32 round mags offside, a Colt 1911 strong side, Seecamp 32. weak side front pocket, and a .22lr pen gun. All legal, NFA paperwork in his wallet. He never had to use any of them before he left us for all time, but he liked hauling it around.
As of the 29th, we have no permits required in AZ for concealed carry, and open carry has been legal since before statehood. Carry whatever you legally own, openly or concealed, though an AK strapped to your back MIGHT draw some comments. :)

GraceOutcast
July 10, 2010, 12:57 AM
In TN in addition to any style of handgun we can have any loaded long guns in our vehicles as long as there is not one in the chamber. There even is a provision that allows us to chamber a round if we feel our life or limb is in danger.

ChuteTheMall
July 10, 2010, 01:01 AM
In Virginia, any handgun. It's a Concealed Handgun Permit, or CHP.

Yes, including a Draco AK in 7.62x39 with a 30 round mag.:D

shotgunjoel
July 10, 2010, 01:04 AM
Well, the closest thing to a 'permit' that I have says:
"CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon."
Yeah, that would be my FOID card here in Illinois.

NoAlibi
July 10, 2010, 01:04 AM
armoredman & F40 Sounds like Arizona is the place to be with firearms. Florida does specifically prohibit carrying concealed machine guns

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Arizona - do you know if it would be legal for an out of state resident to carry a concealed firearm after the 29th?

We both have current CWLs if that would make a difference.

armoredman
July 10, 2010, 01:05 AM
And we pray the legal challenges coming will change that, joel.

armoredman
July 10, 2010, 01:06 AM
NoAlibi, the new law, (effective the 29th), states any a person, not just AZ resident, so c'mon down!

MICHAEL T
July 10, 2010, 01:07 AM
about anything you want in Ky Concealed dangerous weapons permit.

Harley Rider 55
July 10, 2010, 01:07 AM
There's no concealed weapon statute in Texas, other than handguns on CHL holders and non-CHL holders in automobiles. I've carried openly and concealed AOW's, SBS's, and SBR's with NO permit (just the federal tax stamp to own it)

jimmyraythomason
July 10, 2010, 01:21 AM
In Alabama,a loaded handgun concealed on my person or in my vehicle. No permit needed for open carry of a handgun or a loaded long gun in a vehicle.

killchain
July 10, 2010, 01:25 AM
In Washington, if you have a Concealed Handgun License, handguns. You can open carry a handgun all day without a permit if you like.

You can technically open carry rifles and shotguns too.

hso
July 10, 2010, 01:26 AM
Handgun only

shotgunjoel
July 10, 2010, 01:33 AM
armoredman, I'm thrilled that you care about us in Illinois. A lot of people would rather that us gun owners simply abandon the state.

stevelyn
July 10, 2010, 01:39 AM
Permit?:uhoh: What permit?:confused:

:D::neener::evil:

brboyer
July 10, 2010, 01:49 AM
In pamphlet written by The Florida Secretary of State the following weapons are permitted by law to be concealed on a person with a permit.

The Jack Hagler Self-defense Act (Section 790.06 Florida Statutes) allows:

Handguns
Electronic weapons or devices
Tear gas guns
Knives
Billies

If you can carry a handgun and since these weapons are no more deadly, it makes sense that it should also be permissible to carry them concealed.

The pamphlet is not dated, so this should not be considered “gospel”.

So, what does your state concealed permit allow you to carry?
Well, since regulatory authority for Florida's Concealed Weapon or Firearm Licensing program transferred from the Department of State to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services back in 2002, I think the information you are looking at is at least eight years old.

In any case, Jon Gutmacher made a statement in one of his blogs, that in his interpretation of the statutes, a person with a Florida CWFL can carry any firearm concealed: NFA items, long guns, pistols, anything.....to include any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person.

I would love to see him argue that case!

ccsniper
July 10, 2010, 01:57 AM
In Arkansas it is specific to either autos (allows you to carry both autos and revolvers) or revolver (only revolvers). I don't have any idea as to why...

rondog
July 10, 2010, 02:18 AM
Looking at my Colorado permit, it says "Concealed Weapons Permit", and that I'm authorized to carry a concealed weapon "pursuant to C.R.S 18-12-201, et seq.", whatever that means. Doesn't specify what kind of "weapons", doesn't mention firearms. Guess I could pack a machete in my pant leg for all I know.

General Geoff
July 10, 2010, 02:50 AM
My Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) exempts me from a statute prohibiting the concealed carry of "firearms" as defined whimsically by the state legislature, to include handguns, short barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns. This can include machine guns if they have short enough barrels.

Long barreled machine guns and non-NFA regulated long guns can be carried, openly or concealed, anywhere in the state outside of Philadelphia, by anyone who can lawfully possess them, with no license or permit required. All of these types of weapons can be carried openly or concealed in Philadelphia with a valid LTCF.

Quiet
July 10, 2010, 02:52 AM
UT = handguns
NV = handguns & AOWs
CA = handguns & AOWs

WardenWolf
July 10, 2010, 03:05 AM
In Arizona, anything you can legally possess may be carried openly or concealed. Open carry is always legal, with or without a permit.

NoAlibi
July 10, 2010, 04:18 AM
brboyer - Right after I posted the thread I Googled "Florida Statute 790.06" and found that you are correct that the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services is the regulatory authority and The Jack Hagler Self-defense Act is still as originally stated (If Florida's online services are up to the millisecond - use due caution anyway). The site also states that this Florida statute specifically prohibits the concealed carrying of machineguns.

I was unable until now to get back online and I'll go back to the OP and make the addition to avoid confusion.

Gungnir
July 10, 2010, 04:29 AM
Permit?:uhoh: What permit?:confused:

:D::neener::evil:
What stevelyn is alluding to is we don't need no stinking permit in AK, its a right not a privilege.

If you can conceal it you can conceal carry it. If you legally own it (NFA) you can carry it concealed or otherwise.

NoAlibi
July 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
armoredman - We sent a check today to Gov. Brewer for the Defense Fund and we are now making plans to visit Arizona to support your State’s right to protect itself and it’s southern border.

Our plan is use our airplane to sightsee around the State. Many years ago I spoke with Mike Dillon and I understood he had a landing strip at his facility. If this is true then I’d like to get permission to land there and tour his company. Got any suggestions for any other interesting places to see in your fine State?

Bobarino
July 10, 2010, 05:06 AM
In Washington, if you have a Concealed Handgun License, handguns. You can open carry a handgun all day without a permit if you like.

this is pretty close but Washington call is a "Concealed Pistol License", so only pistols concealed. It also "allows" one to carry a loaded pistol in your car. Without it, it must be unloaded i a vehicle.

Open carry here requires no license or permit. if no CPL, you must unload before entering your vehicle though. Silliness if you ask me, but thems are the rules for now.

Bobby

REAPER4206969
July 10, 2010, 06:31 AM
All "Deadly and dangerous weapons."

armoredman
July 10, 2010, 10:56 AM
NoAlibi, thank you! Sorry, I don't know Mr Dillon or any of his family, and would reccomend landing at a normal airfield, Sky Harbor comes to mind. I don't know all the puddle jumper fields in the Phoenix area, sorry.

smallbore
July 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm in NH. No specific restrictions.

hardluk1
July 10, 2010, 11:28 AM
Any firearm that can be concealed, Open carry though legal as frowned at in most big city's, Folding knifeunder 4" with no auto open, no straight blade, nothing you can whack anyone with. Oc is legal, tazer only open carry. I think thats coverd

Hawkn
July 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
In Nevada, if you qualify with a revolver, you can carry any revolver, but autos are gun specific and must be listed individualy on the permit. I qualified with both the XD9 SC and XD9 Service and both are listred on my permit. If you want to carry something else, you must qualify with it and then get it added to your permit. Costs $25.00 for each change to the permit.

razorback2003
July 10, 2010, 01:28 PM
I live in Tennessee and our permit is only good handguns. I have no idea if that includes the AOW shotguns....would be interesting to say the least!

Gottahaveone
July 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Well, according to SC law... (Title 23 Chapter 31 Sect 23-31-210)

"(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property."

Our CCW instructor said to draw a 12" circle on a piece of paper and if it fits inside, you're good to go. That would pretty much cover anything I personally would want to try to hide :)

Roswell_Kid
July 10, 2010, 02:29 PM
Ah, the land of the free...

Here the permit (once you go through all the hoopla to get one) applies to only one individual weapon by serial number. Carry a different handgun than identified on the permit and it´s a year in prison.

Choose well!

KodiakBeer
July 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
We don't need no steenking permeet!

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/15746-debadged-my-2010-prius-today-look-what-i-found-stinking-badges.jpg

RevDerb
July 10, 2010, 04:59 PM
We are issued concealed PISTOL licenses (CPL) which allows us to carry pistols concealed.

jimmyraythomason
July 10, 2010, 05:01 PM
We don't need no steenking permeet!
Until enough anti-gunners get elected to your state's legistlature.

KodiakBeer
July 10, 2010, 05:21 PM
Until enough anti-gunners get elected to your state's legistlature.

Even the liberals in Alaska have no issues with the law. It would be political suicide for anyone to advocate any form of gun control.

The nice thing about Alaska vs Vermont, is that we still have permits for those that want them (in fact, I keep mine current), so that we can carry in states with reciprocity. I don't know if AZ's law is modeled on AK or VT...

If my understanding of the law is correct, anybody (from any state) can carry concealed while visiting Alaska.

jimmyraythomason
July 10, 2010, 05:43 PM
It would be political suicide for anyone to advocate any form of gun control.
Until/unless the demographics of the state changes. Your geographic location does not guarantee you won't face this in the future.

rondog
July 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
If my understanding of the law is correct, anybody (from any state) can carry concealed while visiting Alaska.

It's getting your guns into Alaska that's the problem, right? Since there's that whole Canada thing in between.

KodiakBeer
July 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
You could fly and rent a car here to avoid Canada. The time and fuel savings make that pretty cost effective. Plus, all the wear and tear on your rented jeep to get into places like McCarthy will make you glad you aren't in your own vehicle! :)

KodiakBeer
July 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
Until/unless the demographics of the state changes. Your geographic location does not guarantee you won't face this in the future.

True, but most of the people who come here do so to get away from the statist mindset of the lower 48. We attract libertarians, not liberals.

jimmyraythomason
July 10, 2010, 07:07 PM
We attract libertarians, not liberals. also true. No one looking for an easy ride would want to go there. I hope that instead of your state becoming like mine,maybe mine will become more like your's.

duncan
July 10, 2010, 07:12 PM
In Washington State, an CPL permits a handgun or pistol.

But this is my serious pistol for really high risk situations:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/902492/tn_Copy%20of%20AR45_Pistol.jpg (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/902492/Copy%20of%20AR45_Pistol.jpg)

7.5" barrel
45 ACP 230 grain DoubleTap ammo, 1,120 fps chrono'd
641 FPE:D
16 rounds on board
With rifle-like accuracy out to 35 yards
Run out of ammo, short baton with the receiver extension.

armoredman
July 10, 2010, 07:50 PM
The nice thing about Alaska vs Vermont, is that we still have permits for those that want them (in fact, I keep mine current), so that we can carry in states with reciprocity. I don't know if AZ's law is modeled on AK or VT...

Same as yours, we still have the permit system, needed to carry in resteraunts that serve open alcohol or for reciprocity.

labhound
July 10, 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm in Virginia. Permit states "Permit to carry a concealed handgun". Open carry is legal with no permit required.

NoAlibi
July 11, 2010, 01:28 AM
armoredman:

"...we still have the permit system, needed to carry in resteraunts that serve open alcohol or for reciprocity."

Arizona honors my State's CWL, so would I be able to carry a concealed hadgun in restaurants that serve open alcohol?

brboyer
July 11, 2010, 01:39 AM
brboyer - Right after I posted the thread I Googled "Florida Statute 790.06" and found that you are correct that the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services is the regulatory authority and The Jack Hagler Self-defense Act is still as originally stated (If Florida's online services are up to the millisecond - use due caution anyway). The site also states that this Florida statute specifically prohibits the concealed carrying of machineguns.

I was unable until now to get back online and I'll go back to the OP and make the addition to avoid confusion.
OK, cool.
The very interesting legal argument that Gutmacher (The leading Firearm legal authority in Florida) made was that in 790.01 [prohibition on carrying concealed weapons], it says "This section does not apply to a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm pursuant to the provisions of s. 790.06." and even though 790.06 says a 'concealed firearm' does not include a machine-gun, you really can because there is no penalty for carrying a machine-gun in 790.06, so the authorities would try to charge you under 790.01, but that section does not apply to those with a CWFL...interesting

kk0g
July 11, 2010, 12:20 PM
My Iowa "Permit to Carry Weapons" is exactly that, no restrictions.

Harley Rider 55
July 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
Full auto pistols.

HOWARD J
July 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
In MI--you are allowed to carry a handgun only with your CPL.
No other weapon---they want to make sure you damage the other guy..............:):):):):)

Blue Brick
July 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
I've carried openly and concealed AOW's, SBS's, and SBR's with NO permit (just the federal tax stamp to own it)

I thought Texas didn't have open carry.

http://www.opencarry.org/tx.html)

Defense Minister
July 11, 2010, 04:04 PM
In Oregon, any handgun one owns.

kybandit
July 11, 2010, 05:08 PM
no restrictions in Kentucky

NoAlibi
July 11, 2010, 07:54 PM
brboyer - Having retired out of law enforcement many moons ago I have seen many errors and contradictions in the Florida statutes.

In the regard of carrying a concealed machinegun I have reconciled myself not to be the test case! You can bet, though, that in time one of our illustrious "Cocaine Cowboys" will be testing the waters.

Cards81fan
July 11, 2010, 09:46 PM
In Oklahoma, you qualify for your permit using a:

Derringer
Revolver
Semi-Auto

If you qualify with a semi, you can carry any of the three. Revolver only allows it and Derringer. If you somehow complete the 50-round course with only your Derringer, that is all you get to carry (I however will buy you a Man Card and a cold beer).

Once you have defined what pistol you may carry, it must further meet the definition of a pistol:

a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.

The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Now that that is settled, you may also not carry any prohibited bullet or any arm larger than a caliber of .45;

"Restricted bullet" means a round or elongated missile with a core of less than sixty percent (60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating, which is designed to travel at a high velocity and is capable of penetrating body armor

Aside from the Handgun aspect, you may also now keep a shotgun or rifle in your vehicle with the loaded magazine or clip inserted in the weapon and chamber empty; those not in possession of a permit must keep a magazine out of the long arm.

armoredman
July 11, 2010, 10:38 PM
NoAlibi, from what the law says, yes, just do not drink alcohol.

Cards81fan, egad. Well, it is a beginning.

Cards81fan
July 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
Cards81fan, egad. Well, it is a beginning.
My thoughts exactly.

And to think we are considered very gun friendly, and in reality are when compared to many other states.

jojo200517
July 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
WOW Cards81fan, no copper solids rounds for OK? To think that the environmentalists are trying to get all the lead out of hunting ammo, but yet you are required to have 60% lead in your self defense ammo.

Also only rounds propelled by gunpowder, gas, or rocket propulsion?
gunpowder = sure
gas? CO2 i suppose? I'm not sure the projectile would meet the requirements of "expected to be able to cause lethal injury"

rocket propulsion = Man I gotta get me one of those rocket propulsion fired pistols.

As far as I know SC only allows handguns, and they must be concealed.

tdowell
July 11, 2010, 11:32 PM
Missouri allows anything that is legal in the state to be carried. You can even carry a sawed off shotgun under your coat if you want, as long as its 18in.

Red Cent
July 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
In WV, my license read deadly weapon. Think about that one. We could carry in bars. Just the usual school and Fed rules. Back in the 80s and 90s, I cannot remember any signs prohibiting CC.
The ticket sales part of NC law is kinda dumb.

gopguy
July 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
Handgun only in Ohio.

Ronsch
July 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Alaska - CHP (if you still carry one, as I do for other states that recognize it.) That means handguns that are not NFAs (such as the Glock 18 or Beretta 93R.)

Other than that, we need no permit for pocket knives, assisted openers, hunting fixed-blade knives, ulus, etc.

HoosierQ
July 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
Indiana has neither "concealed carry" or "open carry"...or makes no distinction at any rate.

In Indiana you have a "License to Carry a Handgun". That means any kind of way. We are neither required to conceal or reveal...no distinction. Likewise we are also permitted to carry in a vehicle in any way we want, condition 1 under the seat or locked up unloaded in the trunk...again, no distinction ...legally anyway.

Therefore our license applies to no other type of weapon at all which never made any sense to me but that's how it is. I believe that any shotgun with a pistol grip only is considered a handgun, regardless of barrel length here...which may or may not make sense. Not sure where pistol grips with folding stocks fit in. Pistol grips with fixed or telescoping AR-type stocks are just considered a long gun.

NoAlibi
July 12, 2010, 03:07 PM
Ronsch:

"Other than that, we need no permit for pocket knives, assisted openers, hunting fixed-blade knives, ulus, etc."

Who other than an Alaskan would carry an ulu - too funny! :D:D:D

Do you think that the ulu was the weapon of choice when you hear, “He made mincemeat out of him.”? :what:

armoredman
July 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
I have to look that one up...

NoAlibi
July 12, 2010, 06:45 PM
Alaskan Ulu

Ulu on it's wooden stand.

More info at Smokey Mountain Knife Works (SMKW) eknifeworks.com

Usually very good prices - sometimes spectacular. They are reputable and easy to deal with.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/kemmasabeh/Ulu.jpg

CoRoMo
July 12, 2010, 06:54 PM
Looking at my Colorado permit, it says "Concealed Weapons Permit", and that I'm authorized to carry a concealed weapon "pursuant to C.R.S 18-12-201, et seq.", whatever that means. Doesn't specify what kind of "weapons", doesn't mention firearms. Guess I could pack a machete in my pant leg for all I know.
Pretty much. Our permit allows us to carry... concealed. What we carry isn't necessarily the purpose of the permit, it's how we carry. IIRC, you can't conceal an NFA weapon here, so no suppressed pistol. Open carry... I don't know, maybe we can do that via open carry. Other than that, we don't have restrictions about the number or types of weapons. And thank the Lord, we don't have any senseless regs about printing or accidental flashing.

The Lone Haranguer
July 12, 2010, 09:57 PM
It is called a Handgun Carry Permit in TN, so I assume it means a handgun.

22-rimfire
July 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
Handgun.

armoredman
July 12, 2010, 10:04 PM
That looks awkward to use, unless attached to an axe handle! I suppose the Innuit have a great method for it, though.
Yes, with an AZ permit that would be legal to carry concealed, if you could.

ozarkgunner
July 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.

This is from missouri law, for CCW permit holders

MIgunguy
July 12, 2010, 11:46 PM
In Michigan, a (single) handgun. Since rifles under 30" are considered a "pistol" you can carry a folding stock AK concealed under your trenchcoat. Can't carry a pair of 22's or a primary CCW and a BUG :banghead:, but (technically) you can pocket carry a rifle or shotgun under 30". Go figure.

Technically, we have a Concealed Pistol License. Not a Concealed Pistols License or a Concealed Weapon(s) License. No one has yet been willing to be the test case for carrying multiple handguns.

MinnMooney
July 13, 2010, 01:57 AM
Permit? What permit? from Stevelyn post #16 (He's from Alaska.) :

I wish all states were like Alaska where it's concidered a Right instead of a gov't-granted priviledge.

TexasBill
July 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
Texas CHL allows only handguns and is based on the firearm with which you qualify. If you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-automatic pistol, you can carry either a pistol or revolver - or both, there's no limit.

Our CHL does not permit the carrying of other prohibited weapons such as clubs, certain knives, brass knuckles, etc.

CoRoMo
July 13, 2010, 10:46 AM
Texas... If you qualify with a semi-automatic pistol, you can carry either a pistol or revolver...
Are you sure about that? I thought Texas only allowed you to carry what you qualified with. I didn't think the semi got you allowance to both. I figured you would have to qualify with both to be allowed both.

springfield30-06
July 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
Found this on the Frequently Asked Questions about Texas Concealed Handguns. It doesn't specifically say that semi-auto covers both...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

Q: What type of gun will I be able to carry?

A: You may carry any type of legal, concealed handgun you are qualified to use. If you wish to carry a semi-automatic weapon, you must complete your firing range test with a semi-automatic. If you do not wish to carry a semi-automatic, you may test with a revolver. You must demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of .32 caliber or above to qualify for a concealed handgun license.

GlockFan
July 13, 2010, 11:09 AM
Being in the great state of Illinois i can carry.....notta. :cuss: We'll see how long that lasts though.

springfield30-06
July 13, 2010, 11:09 AM
Since we are on the subject as to what you can carry depends on what you qualified with how does that work with out of state licenses that TX has reciprocity with?

I have both a NY State permit and a PA license to carry firearms and TX honors both. Neither of those states require that you qualify on a specific type of handgun... so I can carry either a revolver or semi-auto in TX?

jimmyraythomason
July 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
nevermind.

ClickClickD'oh
July 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
The Texas CHL classes and qualifications are all based on the pre-existing system used for licensing armed security officers. When testing, you either tested NSA or SA (non semi-automatic or semi-automatic). What ever you get tested with gets stamped on your license. (bonus: Armed security officer may also have a STG stamp). The assumption at the time the security officer rules were written was that if you were competent with a semi-automatic firearm, you would also be with a revolver... but not the other way around. Of course, back when the rules were written semi-automatics were somewhat rare and most security officers carried revolvers and there was skepticism about the carry of semi-autos. Since in many cases the companies provided the revolvers, this kept a lot of guys from qualifying, and thus carrying semi-autos on the job.

wishin
July 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
A knife or a handgun, concealed or open-carry.

CoRoMo
July 13, 2010, 04:12 PM
...so I can carry either a revolver or semi-auto in TX?
Yes.

Texas needs to toss out the qualification reg, toss out the platform specificity, and allow open carry. The current structure is just un-Texan.

ClickClickD'oh
July 13, 2010, 04:40 PM
Texas needs to toss out the qualification reg, toss out the platform specificity, and allow open carry. The current structure is just un-Texan

It does need quite a bit of reform, but please remember that the current format had to be set up and running in a grand total of three months. That includes not only figuring out the rules, but training instructors and setting up the application process.

Also remember that the bill that finally passed in Tx to create the CHL was essentially a re-submission of a previous bill that had been tailored to attempt to appease Ann Richards and her Democrats... which were soundly voted out before the 1995 bill passed. Texas has been slowly undoing those appeasement features ever since.

We're getting there, one legislative session at a time.

Gottahaveone
July 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
jojo200517 rocket propulsion = Man I gotta get me one of those rocket propulsion fired pistols.

They are a bit of a collectors item. Hope you have some deep pockets :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

hirundo82
July 13, 2010, 07:39 PM
A bit more about Texas:

There is no permit needed to carry a rifle or shotgun, loaded or unloaded, on foot or in a vehicle.

As of 2007, it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a permit so long as you are legally able to own said handgun.

modifiedbrowning
July 13, 2010, 07:46 PM
In Montana it's a handgun or knife.

ozarkgunner
July 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
Also, in Missouri, you can carry either semi-auto or revlver. Or both. You are not limited to a particular style or specific gun. To get your CCW permit, you have to qualify with both revolver and semi-auto during the shooting portion of the test. So that clears you to carry either.

sarge83
July 13, 2010, 11:31 PM
As per the Ky State Police Conceled Carry Page we can carry:

What weapons are covered under the CCDW license? Click here for answer

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
* Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
* Billy, nightstick, or club.
* Blackjack or slapjack.
* Nunchaku karate sticks.
* Shiriken or death star.
* Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

NoAlibi
July 14, 2010, 02:03 AM
sarge83

As per the Ky State Police Conceled Carry Page we can carry:

* Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
* Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
* Billy, nightstick, or club.
* Blackjack or slapjack.
* Nunchaku karate sticks.
* Shiriken or death star.
* Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

As soon as you name a weapon like a blackjack or slapjack, you know that someone is going to ask if it's okay to use a variant. For example:

Sap Cap

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/kemmasabeh/ggSapCap.jpg

Sap Gloves

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/kemmasabeh/ggSapGloves.jpg

How do you think your State would handle these and other variations?

mp510
July 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
"Pistols or Revolvers" which are defined by state law as any firearm with a barrel less than 12" in length.A carry permit sllows you to purchase and obtain a retail sale permit for pistols/ revolvers AND is required to carry/ transport them- except under vry limited circumstances. That said while stocked NFA items (SBS, SBR, DD, MG, AOW [if scuh a beast can exist]) with sub-12" barrels require a carry permit to carry or transport outside your home or fixed place of business, you can not transport them loaded in MV or carry them loaded on a public road- because they are also bound by the encumbrances of our state's defintions for 'rifle' (effectively, any stocked rifled weapon) and 'shotgun' (effectively, any stocked smoothebore weapon).

inSight-NEO
July 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
Technically speaking, in terms of a CCW....my permit allows for a revolver, derringer and/or semi-automatic handgun, since I "qualified" with a semi-automatic.

The only thing I can "openly" display [loaded] is a long gun, if in my vehicle.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does your permit allow you to carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!