Register firearms before entering Canada


PDA






Drizzt
December 26, 2002, 03:46 PM
Copyright 2002 Duluth News-Tribune
All Rights Reserved

Duluth News-Tribune


December 22, 2002 Sunday

SECTION: OUT

LENGTH: 211 words

HEADLINE: Register firearms before entering Canada

BYLINE: NEWS TRIBUNE

BODY:
Canada has imposed another requirement for anyone who wants to bring a gun into the country.

For the past two years, Canada has required hunters to purchase a temporary, one-year firearms license at the border or, in advance, take a test and purchase a Possession and Acquisition License good for five years. Those requirements licensed the gun user or gun carrier. Beginning Jan. 1, any gun that enters the country must be registered.

Anyone who holds a Possession and Acquisition License can register his or her guns online at the Canadian Firearms Center's Web site (www.cfc.gc.ca

After Dec. 31, guns can be registered at the border. An $18 (Canadian) fee will be charged each time and may delay the border crossing.

Anyone who does not have a Possession and Acquisition License will have to register his or her gun at the time of crossing.

The gun registration law, which also applies to all Canadian residents, has been on the books for several years but the Canadian government has not notified nonresident Possession and Acquisition License holders of the requirement, and the registration has caught some hunters by surprise.

For more information, call the Canadian Firearms Center at (800) 731-4000 or go to its Web site, www.cfc.gc.ca

If you enjoyed reading about "Register firearms before entering Canada" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WonderNine
December 27, 2002, 07:58 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 gun
December 28, 2002, 11:30 AM
I know of no good reason the go to Canada. Anything they have to offer can still be found HERE in one of our 48 free states. (Sorry CA and NJ)

EnfieldIII
December 28, 2002, 11:47 AM
Hey maybe we should help our Canadian brothers out. From what I've read the registration system up there is about to choke from system overload. Nothin like adding another couple million entries to the system eh?:D

Jmurman
December 28, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Drizzt
Copyright 2002 Duluth News-Tribune
All Rights Reserved

Duluth News-Tribune


December 22, 2002 Sunday

SECTION: OUT

LENGTH: 211 words

HEADLINE: Register firearms before entering Canada

BYLINE: NEWS TRIBUNE

BODY:
Canada has imposed another requirement for anyone who wants to bring a gun into the country.

For the past two years, Canada has required hunters to purchase a temporary, one-year firearms license at the border or, in advance, take a test and purchase a Possession and Acquisition License good for five years. Those requirements licensed the gun user or gun carrier. Beginning Jan. 1, any gun that enters the country must be registered.

Anyone who holds a Possession and Acquisition License can register his or her guns online at the Canadian Firearms Center's Web site (www.cfc.gc.ca

After Dec. 31, guns can be registered at the border. An $18 (Canadian) fee will be charged each time and may delay the border crossing.

Anyone who does not have a Possession and Acquisition License will have to register his or her gun at the time of crossing.

The gun registration law, which also applies to all Canadian residents, has been on the books for several years but the Canadian government has not notified nonresident Possession and Acquisition License holders of the requirement, and the registration has caught some hunters by surprise.

For more information, call the Canadian Firearms Center at (800) 731-4000 or go to its Web site, www.cfc.gc.ca

thanks for the info. I don't have any reason at all to go to Canada.

Calamity Jane
December 28, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Jmurman
thanks for the info. I don't have any reason at all to go to Canada.

Except, of course, having to go through Canada to move to Alaska. :)

Anyone know the best way to get your firearms to Alaska if you're moving there?

3 gun
December 28, 2002, 01:49 PM
[Anyone know the best way to get your firearms to Alaska if you're moving there?
I believe if you move by commercial carrier you would not have to register your firearms before entering Canada. This is because the truck would be sealed at the border. This new law may have changed that. You could try looking to an UPS shipment to by pass the problem. Maybe an air/sea shipment, WA to AK, so Canada doesn't become an issue.

Boudicca
December 28, 2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Calamity Jane
Except, of course, having to go through Canada to move to Alaska. :)

Anyone know the best way to get your firearms to Alaska if you're moving there?

Just two days ago my mother, sister & I were reminiscing about our move to Alaska in 1966. With Mother at the wheel of the Chevy wagon, we hit the trail for Campbell River or Kelsey Bay (can't remember which) where we were going to catch the ferry for Sitka. The moving vans had gone on ahead. "The Girls," the family dog & the guns were in the car.

Just south of the Canada line Mother paused to give us a pep talk. She told us that she might not tell the truth and we were to keep our mouths shut no matter what we heard her say. My elegant mother smiled, lied, and went across the border with Dad's rifles in the back of the car under the boxes of Spode. As for her revolver, Mother sat on it until we were well into Canada.

That's the story of how we got our guns to Alaska.

Jmurman
December 28, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Calamity Jane
Except, of course, having to go through Canada to move to Alaska. :)

Anyone know the best way to get your firearms to Alaska if you're moving there?

I live there for 3 years in the mid 70's. I just bought when I got there.

I would maybe have a friend ship them Fed EX after I got there.

Zander
December 28, 2002, 03:01 PM
Anyone know the best way to get your firearms to Alaska if you're moving there? Just ship insured to yourself at the new residence. ;)

Tamara
December 28, 2002, 03:10 PM
The irony of this is that it is still less than most Canadians have to go through to get their guns into the Land of the Fee, er, Free...

alan
December 28, 2002, 04:02 PM
Short of driving to Alaska, is there any good reason or necessity for going to Canada? Perhaps I'm missing something., but there isn't, so far as I know, the slightest.

Of course, it's their country, and theyu can pass any kind of internal laws they like. Also, of course, others are under no compulsion to patronize anything Canadian.

If you enjoyed reading about "Register firearms before entering Canada" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!