Today's safety topic ... DO NOT use a live .50 BMG cartridge as a pin punch!!

PDA

July 13, 2010, 03:09 AM
I was at a military range yesterday and saw the flier in the link on the wall at Range Control. This is a good reminder of the energy stored in ammunition, particularly the .50 BMG cartridge. When the case wall isn't constrained during ignition, VERY bad things can happen.

CAUTION: VERY graphic image in THIS (http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1692) .pdf link!! If you feel that a .pdf file poses a security risk to you or your computer then DO NOT click on the link!

Here's a link to a JPEG image of the injury in question (http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/general/photos/hand_vs_50bmg.jpg) if you're worried about downloading a .pdf file.

:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Today's safety topic ... DO NOT use a live .50 BMG cartridge as a pin punch!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mp7
July 13, 2010, 03:16 AM
a link that contains a pdf is a safety issue. Dont do that please.

MoDerN_WarRioR
July 13, 2010, 03:30 AM
Ohhh Boy! That is a Very graphic pic! :( Poor guy! (Yes i was warned... but it was like a red button that just needed to be pushed. I had to see!)

Gotta think with your head before doing something dangerous like that. I know a kid that blew his hand apart with a C02 cartridge. Looked alot like that! :(

Be safe people!!

C-grunt
July 13, 2010, 07:00 AM
Yeah I saw that a week or two ago. How much powder does a BMG contain? Its gotta be like 200 grains or so.

taliv
July 13, 2010, 09:44 AM
my favorite load was 230 grains and it wasn't "hot"

unit91
July 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
I feel sorry for the guy, but good grief talk about lapse in judgment.

EdLaver
July 13, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thats his own fault for being so stupid. Tapping or hammering something with the primer of a bullet? How much sense does that make?

fireman 9731
July 13, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yikes.

JoeMal
July 13, 2010, 12:12 PM
Oh

My

God

I bet that hurt

highorder
July 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
Seems that someone here made mention of this very incident a week or so ago...

Live rounds make poor hammers. Ask Bugs Bunny.

Maverick223
July 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
Seems that someone here made mention of this very incident a week or so ago...Yep in the "dumbest thing you have seen at the range" thread IIRC. Tragic incident, but a good lesson in thinking before you act and common sense nonetheless.

:)

MATTHEW QUIGLEY
July 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
I hope he passed out instantly.

rodensouth
July 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
Looking at that made ME want morphine. Yikes!

springfield30-06
July 13, 2010, 02:32 PM
wow, that sucks. If you couldn't hit the pin in with a rock what would make someone think that a .50BMG round would be better??

DIM
July 13, 2010, 02:46 PM
did he get purple heart?, looks like he did get permanent disability...

Justin Holder
July 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
You only get purple hart if you are wounded by the enemy, not your own stupidity.

DIM
July 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
that was a joke, sorry didn't say smile

Kentucky_Rifleman
July 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
I remember Dad teaching me just how potent guns could be so I wouldn't be tempted to play with any of the guns in the house. He set a watermelon on a stump in the backyard and hit it with a load of 12 gauge #4 turkey shot from about 15 feet away.

I didn't handle a gun without my Dad or another adult around until I was 10 or 11 and had thoroughly learned safe gun handling.

It left an impression I'll never forget.

Even at age seven I understood that cartridges were dangerous if mishandled.

Poor guy.

KR

gb0399
July 13, 2010, 05:19 PM
I saw a similar incident to this one where a soldier was re-linking .50 cal rounds. He slid them into the links and was then pushing them in tight by pushing the base of the cartridge against the edge of the ASP table. Similar results to his hand.

speaksoftly
July 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
:banghead:

gb0399
July 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
Sig P226r .40, Sig P229 SCT .40, Smith and Wesson M&P .40, Smith and Wesson M&Pc .40 w/ Crimson Trace Grips, Kel Tec PF-9 , Mossberg 590A1 w/ Surefire Forend, Smith and Wesson MP15T w/ Eotech 557.AR223

What is name all the guns you own?

CoRoMo
July 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not in the mood to look at the linked photo. I'm guessing the guy was holding the round with one hand, tapping on the base with a hammer in the other hand, trying to tap a pin out of place with the nose of the bullet. Hammer detonates the primer, and the hand holding the round is history. Is that it in a nutshell?

RP88
July 13, 2010, 06:01 PM
hand is there, fingers aren't. At least most of them aren't...:barf:

gb0399
July 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
those pins are really hard to put in. He should have used a 20mm.

SharpsDressedMan
July 13, 2010, 06:50 PM
This goes with the topic. My brother's friend was sizing pulled .50 cal bullets though a die that allows you to push the bullet up through the die with the ram of the press. Often, pulled bullets get out of round, and have pull marks, so this is a pretty standard operation. However, one got stuck, and "the operator" forgot he was working with INCENDIARY bullets, and decided to hammer it DOWN to push it out of the die. Yeah, you guessed it. Bullet detonates, and he gets abig surprise. Amazingly, he and all his eyes and fingers are here today, still attached and working as they should.

WNTFW
July 13, 2010, 07:38 PM
I can't imagine what the guy felt.

I had to drill out some primers from inert 20mm rounds for a job. I didn't trust them to be inert. I could feel any powder in them, but decided why let my ignorance of 20mm get me killed. I had them pull the projectiles on every round so I could see what I was dealing with.

As much as I don't enjoy looking at pics of GSW's or other injuries they do put safety into a context we can realisticly understand. Pics like that motivate better than words.

Hatterasguy
July 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
Ouch, but what would posses someone to use a bullet for a punch.:confused:

gb0399
July 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
Ouch, but what would posses someone to use a bullet for a punch.
he was using it as a hammer to hit the pins, either way, not a good idea

jim in Anchorage
July 13, 2010, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE]those pins are really hard to put in. He should have used a 20mm[/QUOTE
:D

Ben86
July 14, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've always imagined a .50 cartridge going off outside of a barrel's chamber would be akin to a small shrapnel grenade, looks like my assumptions were right.

That was a really careless thing to do, but I feel bad for him, poor guy. I think people sometimes underestimate the ability of primers to ignite.

Arkansas Paul
July 14, 2010, 03:32 PM
Most posts that have a "Warning" on them for graphic content don't live up to the hype. Most of the time you're like, "Really? That's it?" Not this time. Wow, that's just crazy. I wonder how much of that hand they'll be able to save.

Tony50ae
July 14, 2010, 03:34 PM
I saw a similar incident to this one where a soldier was re-linking .50 cal rounds. He slid them into the links and was then pushing them in tight by pushing the base of the cartridge against the edge of the ASP table. Similar results to his hand.

I saw a soldier doing just this a couple of weeks ago. We were doing our 2 week annual training and were running a 50 machine gun range. One of the guys was trying to relink some ammo at the asp table. I was the RSO and when I saw him doing this I stopped him immediately! Then I told him why that was such a bad idea and what happened to the soldier in Afganistan, the one who blew his fingers off. We even showed him the picture that the armorer had on his cell phone.

Just goes to show you though just because someone is in the military does not mean they are an expert in firearms.

GunsForSale.com
July 14, 2010, 04:44 PM
It's pretty amazing what you see on ranges these days.

Maj Dad
July 14, 2010, 09:38 PM
The Army has always tried to beat safety into soldiers' heads, never with 100% success. At Ft Benning ~1973 or 74 some buck sergeant was on one of the ranges & found a dud 81 mm round. Long to short, he beat on it until it went off & it was willie pete. Deemed not line of duty, several months at Martin Army in the surgical/burn unit was on him. I can see thinking a 50 cal round could be used as a punch with its nice pointy nose, but GIs can see things others cannot. Used to, we blamed it on draftees; nowadays, we have no one group to generalize about, just the usual suspects: "We have met the enemy, and he is us..." Pogo

If you enjoyed reading about "Today's safety topic ... DO NOT use a live .50 BMG cartridge as a pin punch!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!