Anyone use MCA chamber adapters?

PDA

Ascot500
July 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
MCA makes a wide variety of sub caliber inserts (like .32 ACP in .308)

I have sent several emails but never gotten a response.
Is the company still active?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use MCA chamber adapters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
July 13, 2010, 09:32 PM
I have sent several emails but never gotten a response.
Is the company still active?Typical from what I have heard and experienced (I tried to contact them a couple years back with similar results, IIRC trying to get a .45-70->.45ACP adapter). I don't think that they are still producing them (nor do I know of anyone else that is), but they haven't put out an official statement saying this (at least not that I am aware of).

:)

fireman 9731
July 14, 2010, 02:45 AM
I got one for my Mosin that shoots 32 auto and 32sw from Sportsmans Guide a few months ago. I don't recall the brand but it has worked well.

desidog
July 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
You mean these guys? http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

I use their stainless 308>30 Mauser adapter in my Spanish FR-7, shooting 30 mauser and 7.62 Tok, since the small ring mauser action is a little weak for shooting full power .308win.

I'd recommend their product.

I ordered mine via mail and they had a quick turn around time; i also spoke with a guy there on the phone before ordering. My impression was that it was a small shop, like maybe out of someone's garage...but they delivered a good product in a timely fashion.

dougw47
July 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
The 32 acp, and 32 H&R sounds like a great pest idea for a single-shot .30-30! Thanks!

snorko
July 14, 2010, 12:23 PM
I bought one of the Sportsmans Guide inserts for .32acp/.308. The insert arrived and it looked like the MCA product, though there is no manufacturer’s mark. It was marked "made in USA". Brief instructions included stated that some stoning may be needed to chamber in some firearms. This was the case for mine. After some very light swipes on 220 grit sand paper, the insert chambered perfectly into my Handi-Rifle. It was then off to the range.

I fired two rounds of .308 to get a baseline for the target. I had picked up the rifle used and already scoped. It was shooting about 5" high for me at 50 yards. This was fine as I anticipated the .32 ACP would be hitting much lower.

I had with me some Fiocchi 73 gr FMJ and a few rounds of Speer Gold Dot 60 gr HP. The Fiocchi was difficult to fully seat in the adapter and I could not fully close the rifle with that round. I assume this is an OAL or case length issue. Next the Speer was tried and they worked much better, though many were a little tight.

I fired a total of seven .32 ACP rounds. Recoil was akin to an air rifle or heavy barreled .22LR. You knew you were shooting but barely. Muzzle blast was less than a standard velocity .22 and was very similar in sound level to or even lower than a suppressed 9mm carbine. I have a decibel meter that I will take next time to get some comparisons. It was quiet enough to turn heads on the line.

Accuracy was surprising. The point of impact was 11" below that of the .308 rounds with no significant change in windage. The first two rounds were a little higher than the next five, due I think to the shooter settling in and paying attention. The five shot group at 50 yards was just over an inch. If I had used a bi-pod or solid rifle rest, I feel this would have tightened up some.

The .32 ACP cut very clean holes in the target. There was no issue of keyholing at all. One interesting side note. Because there is so much free bore with the adapter and the .32 ACP round, a significant amount of unburned powder was left in the bore after each round.

fireman 9731
July 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
a significant amount of unburned powder was left in the bore after each round.

I had the same issue in my Mosin, it easily cleaned up with a Bore-Snake though.

I was also surprised with the accuracy. I never shot paper, but plinking at rocks and stumps I had no problems at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use MCA chamber adapters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!