PDA

conhntr
July 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Ok my instructions say
twist up extractor and ejector will
snap out. Nope. I can push ejector in with bullet tip but it won't snap
out what am
I doing wrong

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 bolt dissassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
July 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
M1 rifle? Do you have a bolt disassembly tool?

You need to compress the ejector and pry the extractor out at the same time.

Read this. (http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2009/08/m1-garand-bolt-disassemblyreassembly.html)

cuervo
July 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailstripbolt2.html

According to the above, you have to remove the extractor before the ejector can come out. Using a combo tool really helps with this since it will push the ejector in while pushing out on the extractor.

cuervo
July 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
Delete--bump fire.

conhntr
July 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
Ok no tool but I think I can do that with a quarter and bullet tip. I'm done for tonight will try tomorrow

the garand is a "field grade" hra. The wood is very rough but the metal looks good aside from almost all the finish being gone foward of the front handguard.

The reason I ripped the gun apart is the safety felt gritty. Sure enough the was a funky brown oily residue all over the insides. Got everything cleaned up but the bolt obviusly. Do you think I even need to bother with it?

CZguy
July 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
Do you think I even need to bother with it?

Yes, think of it this way. If the rest of the action was dirty, then the bolt got dirty too.

dmazur
July 14, 2010, 01:23 AM
Unlike a Model 70, a Garand bolt doesn't field strip easily without some tools.

I'd pony up and get the bolt disassembly tool. You're going to want to periodically strip the thing to clean the firing pin. The ejector spring may break, and then you have to strip the bolt. You may want to check headspace, and then you have to strip the bolt...

That's why I gave up and bought one.

It makes it so much easier than using improvised tools to take it apart. What's even more important, it permits you to put it back together again. :)

highorder
July 14, 2010, 12:23 PM
You want this little guy:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53848/pid=8724/sku/M10_Combo_Tool?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c745_a_7c560000007_d_555000003_d_382

dfariswheel
July 14, 2010, 07:33 PM
The M3-A1 Combination tool or the M10 Cleaning rod Handle/Tool can both be used to disassemble the M1 bolt easily.

THE easiest way is to use the M3-A1 Combination Tool or the M10 Cleaning Rod Handle/Tool while the bolt is in the rifle.

You can also use both tools to disassemble the bolt while it's out of the rifle, but it's easier in.
The USGI Field Manuals on the M1 show the various methods of bolt disassembly and reassembly using the tools.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 bolt dissassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!