40mm grenade


July 14, 2010, 12:47 AM

I never seen one for sale! I did not think it was legal. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "40mm grenade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
July 14, 2010, 12:51 AM
Sure they are.

You just have to pay a $200 tax on each one you buy¹.

[1] Only "destructive devices" are taxed. Chalk or smoke rounds are merely expensive :D

July 14, 2010, 12:59 AM
Yes question on that. I seen those at gun shows. Can I legaly buy those? or you need to be 21? I seen them run about $75 and is it legal to use them? where? gun range??? Doesnt the cap at the top explode off? she its kinda like a bullet ???

July 14, 2010, 01:27 AM
How would they handle it tax wise if you reloaded the case? How do they know one round from another, are they serialized?

July 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
The grenade in your link is just a big shotgun shell and isn't regulated any differently than a 12 gauge round. Ammo must have over 1/4 oz of explosives as a warhead to be regulated as a DD in and of itself.

Dan Forrester
July 14, 2010, 11:01 AM
As CleverNickname said that’s not really a grenade, it’s just a big (low powered) buckshot round. Supposedly these were phased out because they were to wimpy and replaced with reducer bushings that could accept 12ga shells. These buckshot rounds were only intended to give the M79 gunner something to shoot back with since at close range (closer than the grenades arming distance) the 40mm was useless. Now that M203s are used the user always has 5.56mm at his disposal.

Civilians usually use a 40mm beehive round to simulate buckshot on the cheap. These take 18 or 20 .22lr rounds and use a rifle primer to fire them all off at the same time. They can be reloaded and reused as many times as you’d like.

As for these being legal, you can buy any live DD ammunition you want as long as it contains no more than ¼ oz of explosive. The M407 was a HE practice round which had just barely under ¼ oz of explosive:


It has now been replaced with the orange chalk rounds.

Rumor has it Long Mountain Outfitters has the real deal M406 HE rounds but there is a $200 tax plus the cost of each round. In addition to this you need some kind of explosives user license issued by your state as well as an approved magazine to store them.

No one is really sure if you could just register the case, fire the round (an HE round that is – let’s just say M406) and then send it back to the manufacturer for repairs where they would re-prime the case and seat a fresh grenade. You can do this with a silencer if it is damaged or a machine gun as long as you don’t destroy the tube or remanufacture the receiver so I think if you registered the case it’s self (as opposed to the grenade) it could be technically “repaired” by the manufacturer. If you did it on a form 1 you would be the manufacturer and you could reload it with whatever you wanted. You would still have to comply with state explosives laws however.

For the record I have no LE / military experience and am not an FFL. I do however have a registered LMT 40mm DD. I’m not claiming to be an expert, just reporting what I have learned over the years.


July 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, that's just buckshot. I have one. Now, actually having converted and fired off a 407 (trainer version of 406 minus the HE), it does indeed just take the $200 tax stamp and associated issues thereof, plus getting an HE manufacturing permit (outlined in the orange book) and building an approved magazine. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "40mm grenade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!