Looking for a wheelgun.

PDA

LHRGunslinger
July 14, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking of gettng a mid-range revolver to keep on my nightstand. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I am very new to revolvers and I can use all the help i can get.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a wheelgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgunner455
July 14, 2010, 05:35 PM
S&W Model 10, blue, 4" barrel.

There are other choices, many very good, but none better. None.

LHRGunslinger
July 14, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've shot the Model 64 4" barrel and rubber grips. I had a hard time controlling it but that was because I never shot a pistol before that.

md7
July 14, 2010, 06:10 PM
LHR,

i prefer the 4" barrel Ruger GP100 in either stainless or blued. if you do a search here on THR, you will find much praise, and little in the way of criticism (though there is some, as there will be in most any brand). they are accurate, affordable, and plenty tough. a few suggestions for you.......

Ruger GP100, 4"bbl, .357
Ruger "Six" Series (Security,Service, Speed) 4"- will have to get a used one
S&W models 10, 64 (.38 spl) or 19, 66, 27, 28, 586 (.357) all will have to be used
S&W models 686, 619, or 620, 4" bbl. .357

There are certainly NO dogs in this selection. if you buy used, please be sure to perform the revolver checkout method that is posted at the top of the revolver thread here at THR.

Good Luck!

md7
July 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
check local gun stores and pawn shops for some used examples. also, gunbroker.com is a pretty good source for both new and used firearms.

Confederate
July 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
You might consider a used handgun, and make it a .357 (it'll take .38s for home use). You didn't mention price, but I always recommend a 6-shot Ruger like a Speed-Six or Security-Six.

If you have some real folding money, try a Ruger GP-100 -- but I'd avoid S&W. You'll spend much more than you'll need to unless you can find a good used one. (Their prices are getting a mite ridiculous.) I'd also avoid any 5-shot revolvers.

LHRGunslinger
July 14, 2010, 06:41 PM
I've spent alot of time (probably too much) looking at large frame revolvers. Taurus Model 608 is an 8 shot .357. Is that any good?

As for how much I'm looking to spend. I'm not sure yet. It's just something I'm thinking of I haven't decided on anything yet. But $1000 is about as high as I'll go for the time being.

captain awesome
July 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
But $1000 is about as high as I'll go for the time being.

well in that case you could go with something really nice...might even find a nice python in your price range

but a gp100 new will run you about half that.

LHRGunslinger
July 14, 2010, 07:50 PM
Yea....that's the thing. I don't know what is "nice". I know what I think looks pretty, but that's about all I know.

wlewisiii
July 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
Then I'd say get a nice 4" S&W 64. It's .38 Special only but will teach you what you need to learn about shooting a revolver. Big plus - it'll only cost about $200 - $250. Put the rest of that grand into 158 gr Semi-wadcutter (or even LRN if you're paper punching only as it's even cheaper) ammo instead and you'll be set for a lot of fun shooting.

captain awesome
July 14, 2010, 08:51 PM
well here is my definitions of nice;
my ruger gp100 is "nice" because its extremely durable(built like a tank) and accurate.
my S&W 586 is "nice" because its trigger pull is smooth in double action, its purdy and also accurate.
I want a colt python because they are VERY nice; accurate second to none, the prettiest IMHO, and are durable.(yes I am aware of the timing issues, but considering the volume of rounds to be fired before it becomes an "issue" I call it a non issue)

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a wheelgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!