Need Suggestions on which semi auto rifle to get

PDA

kentuckyKid
July 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
ok here is what i need, what are some other semi auto rifles out there besides ak style and ar style, i know about cetme, ptr91, kel-tec su-16, mini 14, m1a, fn fal, aug, but i am wondering if there are any other style rifles out there. now here are the requirements, be chambered in 308, 223, 7.62x39, have 20 rnd mags or more, can hit a torso at 200 hundred yards, this gun is t be used mostly for plinking and the possible shtf situation, since i would like to use it for plinking a lot it would be nice if it could feed steel cased and polymer coated ammo reasonable well (one jam every 100 is ok with wolf ammo)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Suggestions on which semi auto rifle to get" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
July 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
FN 49?
Sig 550?

TrickyDick
SKS. Good reliable rifle, a lot of options, cheap ammo, and sturdy.

Robert
You have pretty much nailed them. And for what it is worth I'd go with a FAL. Built like a tank, you can feed it rocks and is field accurate. I'd loved mine.

rcmodel
July 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
One jam every 100 is okOne jam every 100 rounds is simply not acceptable on any semi-auto military style rifle. Period.

I have a Ruger Mini-14 and a Colt AR-15 carbine I have owned for going on 40 years.
Also a GI M1 Carbine I purchased from the DCM in 1962.

I simply cannot remember any of them failing to work perfectly every time I pulled the trigger.
But then, I don't use steel case Russian ammo either.
All I shoot are my own reloads, or GI ammo I "acquired" about 40 years ago too.

I would say with your best options given your 20 round mag requirement is either a good AR-15, Ruger Mini-14, Ruger 556, or an AK-47.
Both the AR-15 and Ruger 556 will use cheap M16 magazines. And AK mags are not too costly either.
However the Mini-14 uses proprietary mags, and they ain't cheap for the real Ruger 20 & 30 rounders that work right.

Someone will soon mention the Saiga, but they will require some gunsmith work to make them run hi-cap AK magazines like you want.

In all, if shooting a lot of steel case Wolf enters into it, I'd get the AK-47. And don't go cheap. Get one of the good ones.
They were designed from the get-go to work with Russian steel case 7.62x39 ammo.

rc

wlewisiii
July 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
I, too, prefer the FAL. Nice solid design that's easy to shoot all day long. "Field Accurate" - I like that description.

Zanad
July 14, 2010, 06:28 PM
I think you mentioned almost every single style of emi-auto rifle that can have 20+ rounds of ammo(exept a modded sks). All the guns mentioned can do what you want them to do, its just a matter of preferance.

if it were me I'd get the NEW STYLE mini-14(tapered barrel) if i was strapped for cash(<$700) an the m1a 18" if I had larger budget.

Carter
July 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'd go for an xcr or fal.
They both will take steel cased ammo.
The xcr can also switch between .223, 7.62x39, or 6.8 very quickly and cheaply. Sort of...as far as cheap, but cheaper than buying a new rifle.
However, you will be waiting awhile if you order one. I'd try to find one in a gun shop, and not special order. Thats if you have a nice chunk of change to spend.

If you don't a mini-14 will do.

Hatterasguy
July 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
FN 49, SVT40 Mas 49, G43.

killchain
July 14, 2010, 06:59 PM
Get yourself a FAL or an SKS.

FAL cuz it's indestructible, and SKS cuz it's plentiful, cheap and has a decent round for what it is.

rduckwor
July 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
FAL Runs like a "Deer" and damn near unbreakable. IF the SHTF, you will be a real headache for anybody trying to harm you or yours right out to 600 yards.

RMD

gondorian
July 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
Do you have a budget? There aren't too many semi auto in those calibers that you missed, maybe a kel-tec rfb, a Scar, an xcr, a daewoo k2, and ar180, a galil? But you have pretty much hit the bull's eye with you list.

fireside44
July 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
now here are the requirements, be chambered in 308, 223, 7.62x39, have 20 rnd mags or more, can hit a torso at 200 hundred yards, this gun is t be used mostly for plinking and the possible shtf situation, since i would like to use it for plinking a lot

An FAL makes for an expensive plinker but worth every penny. German DAG surplus is reasonable right now as well as some other surplus munitions.

I shot lots of AK and AR with friends for fun before but really like the full power cartridge the FAL offers. Accurate enough, reliable as hell, light enough (for me), affordable enough, easy as pie to field strip and maintain. 90 countries can't be wrong.

USSR
July 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
http://ussr.clarityconnect.com/FAL1.jpg

Don

Ignition Override
July 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
If the .308 cases which are violently extracted from an FAL can be reloaded several times, maybe this caliber is considered economical to use?
"Ammo seek" lists it for about .37/rd, is non-corrosive, but Berdan-primed.

By the way, have you read about the various problems with many CETME G-3s which were assembled by Century Arms?

With your 20-rd. requirement, will you one day regret Not having an authentic M-1 Garand?
The FAL is a very cool world-wide battle rifle, but the Garand is The Classic US Battle Rifle, and GI ammo can be reloaded several times.
"Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Gran Torino...".

Jbabbler
July 14, 2010, 11:00 PM
SKS or Saiga. You will never break either. They will work every time. Saiga gives you the choice of 308, 223, 7.62x39.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Suggestions on which semi auto rifle to get" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!