Truck gun on the cheap?

PDA

ILUVCOINS740
July 14, 2010, 10:19 PM
Ok i have a mosin i want planing to use as a truckgun to go with my handgun "ccw" just in case i need a longgun i am dont want to spend a lot of this "over 200" so what would you pick list or what other longgun should i look at

p.s. i like in the country if that helps

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun on the cheap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeMal
July 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have zero knowledge or experience with a truck gun, but a Mosin seems like a heavy one to be toting around. If you were to need it, the weight may effect your ability to handle it (or may not). It would definitely be in your $200 range, though

If you do go with a Mosin, KEEP THE BAYO ON IT! The BG will think twice about messing with you once you put a 3 foot knife in his face lol

Hunterdad
July 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have no idea what you're looking for here. Do you want a shotgun, handgun or rifle for a trunk gun?

wlewisiii
July 14, 2010, 10:22 PM
Try to find a bubba'd Mauser. There are lots of old rifles in 7x57 or 8x57 that can be found in the $150 - $200 range. I find the old military Mausers to be more enjoyable to shoot than the Mosin-Nagants but YMWV. 8x57 surplus is still reasonable to find as well.

janobles14
July 14, 2010, 10:33 PM
id have to go for the pump gun. with slugs you could extend the range if you wanted and have some versitility. but the break open would also be just fine.

gondorian
July 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
Look for a cheap sks (I know its pretty hard) or save an extra $100 and get a saiga.

seairland312
July 14, 2010, 10:37 PM
Speaking of Saiga AKs... anyone want one in .223?

Abel
July 14, 2010, 10:37 PM
Under $200? A 22 bolt action Marlin or Savage. If you can somehow manage to scrape up some more cash, get a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

Col. Plink
July 14, 2010, 10:46 PM
Remington 760 pump rifles in 30'06, 308, 243, 270...

joeq
July 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'd pick up an M38 or M44 Mosin. They are both virtually indestructible. They are quite a bit shorter than the 91/30's. I really like my M44.

XxWINxX94
July 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'd look for an older shotgun, double barrel or something. Bring some slugs with, and some shotshells, for whatever purpose.

Expertowgunner
July 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Whats a truck gun lol!!?? There must be some city slickers on here who have never been out in the boonies. I got a marlin 336 30 30 from my work for about 115 no tax (aaahhh the sweet part of working at a gun/pawn shop) and its been under my seat tube loaded nothing in the chamber and i love it for a truck gun. Something comparable would be a sks (id recommend a para but they are kinda high now), a M38 or M44 mosin would work too, or some solid used remmie or mossy pump gun prefer to be a 12 ga but 20 would be fine. For those asking this is a rifle to hunt primarily but makes a great deterrent in rush hour traffic lol

Expertowgunner
July 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
sorry read some of the posts wrong im tired

gb0399
July 14, 2010, 11:14 PM
+1 sks

jpwilly
July 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
What are you going to use it for? Can't shoot deer in OH with a Rifle and only 3 days can you use a Shotgun. Are you planning to take out varmints? You going to shoot driftwood floating down the Ohio River??

Maverick223
July 14, 2010, 11:57 PM
The cheapest reliable centerfire lever gun you can find. Which is probably a Winchester '94 or perhaps a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I would save up a couple bucks for it if I had to, IMO it is better to have a quick repeater in a quick handling chambering for the task that you describe. That will likely require a little more cash, but if you look for a while you a likely to stumble onto a used one for a decent price.

:)

BushyGuy
July 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
I would opt for the Winchester model 94 30-30 win or the Remmy 870 pump with a 18.5 inch rifled barrel.

trickyasafox
July 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
double tap.

HorseSoldier
July 15, 2010, 12:53 AM
An 870 is as close as I've ever come to a truck gun, but I don't tote it all the time. I'm not sure on what a truck gun is entirely needed to do from person to person (for me it's mostly about bear defense more than anything else) but a shotgun does most anything you could legally need a truck gun to do.

trickyasafox
July 15, 2010, 12:57 AM
NEF handi-rifle? accurate and powerful enough to do most any task.

also, used shotguns by me can be found for under 200 all day- if you don't mind aesthetically challenged guns, sometimes they can even be found for under 100.

A new marlin 60 can be had for about 180, and they are a great rifle to have at arms reach as well.

Cosmoline
July 15, 2010, 01:19 AM
Mosins are great truck guns. For security you simply pull the bolt out, which doubles as one heck of a knuckle duster if you grip the shaft with the bolt sticking out between your fingers. Thief breaks in and steals your rifle, you're out a little money and he has a useless piece of wood and steel unless he can headspace a new bolt. More importantly, you won't get shot with your own rifle.

ECVMatt
July 15, 2010, 02:29 AM
I would look for a used Marlin 336, .30-30.

mljdeckard
July 15, 2010, 02:42 AM
I use an SKS. No they aren't as cheap as they used to be, but for a rifle that can do whatever you need it to for defense, it's still a bargain. I Tapcoed mine and put on Tech-Sights, I'm still under $300, if it gets held onto after a shooting event or by a cop who doesn't know the law, it's not like it's irreplaceable.

paintballdude902
July 15, 2010, 03:10 AM
im picking up a new truck gun this weekend. its an old well used (but not abused) S&W 12 gauge pump. the pawn shop wants 140 bucks for it im gonna offer 120

unit91
July 15, 2010, 09:00 AM
I went for the SKS. Accurate, reliable, not worried about it getting beaten up. Though the 7.62x39mm isn't the greatest beyond 300 yards, I really can't see myself wanting to shoot beyond that from my truck.

HGUNHNTR
July 15, 2010, 09:07 AM
A "truck gun" doesn't have to be cheap, and probably shouldn't be. Pick a firearm based on quality, and one that fills your needs. Disappointment will follow decisions that are based too heavily on price. I would suggest an AR, at least it would fill my needs.

LeonCarr
July 15, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mosin with a slip on recoil pad :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

jonboynumba1
July 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
get an SKS if you need a semi or if you want something a LOT purdier you wouldn't be ashamed of....just get a Marlin 336 and order a williams rear peep sight for it and lose the semi-buckhorn! Fast accurate and PC....the original "truck rifle"-even back when "the truck" had wagon wheels!-LOL ;)

tacticool thuddy thuddy! -AK of the Appiliachians!

konfederate.kowboy
July 15, 2010, 09:48 AM
I voted for pick up a cheap pump. A mossberg 500 would make a nice one. But in the rifle category, I believe that that the marlins are great guns. A 30-30 will do a lot and they are really rugged.

bigalexe
July 15, 2010, 10:02 AM
I voted other because I was gonna say Pump-Gun but if you are gonna go that route then go the 12 gauge.

Depends wholly on your purpose here.
-If you are looking to fend off carjackers then I would say that actually one of the Mossberg JIC guns with the Pistol Grip in 12ga would be a good bet here. They are small enough to swing around in cramped quarters quickly and a shotgun barrel in the face will make a criminal think twice, or at least it should.

-If you are looking for an animal gun then I can't help much. Probably looking for a semi-auto or pump gun (anything but bolt) in an intermediate caliber.

dougw47
July 15, 2010, 01:27 PM
Short Mosin's around me are $300 and up. Long originals are $120 and up.

There are about 20 Marlins 60's avail. here from $60 to $100.

SKS's are $350+

You can find Marlin .30-30's for $250+

H&R, NEF's are $300 for any rifle caliber, shotguns are $60+

Pump shotguns can be had for $69 up.

Just how bad do you want a "Truck Gun?" All my trucks have pumps, if I can't hit it with buck or slugs...I don't feel like wasting lead.

unit91
July 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
Your problem here, doug, is you're thinking again. :)

Badlander
July 15, 2010, 06:16 PM
Your going to need A large caliber rifle to kill A truck. Go 45-70.

content
July 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Remington 870 Express Magnum 20ga. with 21" VR barrel and 13" stock.

3" buck and slugs should do the trick. I bought mine, a 1993 unused, for $185.00 OTD.

In the "other gun" catagory, a rifle to match your CCW caliber.(**not under $200.00) My Interarms Model 92 Lever Action .357/.38 does this nicely weather I'm carryng a .357 or .38 revolver./// $325.00 FTF

Or a Marlin Papoose .22 breakdown rifle with floating case. Mine was around $200.00 OTD with some other items thrown in, so say $185.00 OTD

These three where purchased with in the last year and a half so prices are fairly current.

markallen
July 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Some other things to consider.....In Ohio you can NOT !! carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle.
Even if you have a CHL a long gun needs to be empty, and ammo in another container.
Empty in Ohio means: No loaded magazines, either box, or tubular ( for you lever guys).
Which means any long gun will be totally empty, so fast manual loading will be a must. That leaves the box fed semi's out.
Now bolt, or in the case of the SKS, ammunition is ok if it is in a stripper clip, or enbloc. These are not considered magazines.
So advantages go to lever rifles, or pump shot guns. Or the SKS, or possibly an Lee Enfield, as those two can be loaded fast using stripper clips.
The lever action you can open the lever drop a round in, get the rifle into action and continue to load the rifle, while having that important round in the chamber.
You can due the same with the pump shotgun.
A bolt, you can either try to load four, or five rounds real fast before you can get the rifle into action, or load and fire one at a time until you get the chance to open the bolt, and top the magazine off.

Maverick223
July 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
IMO the VZ.58 seems like the perfect rifle because it has a stripper clip guide (see Ohio law above), intermediate chambering, lightweight, folding stock (very compact), and is very rugged...unfortunately it is well out of your budget.

:)

gb0399
July 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
What about a M48 Mauser? 5 round stripper clips, plenty cheap, and a super strong action.

oldbanjo
July 15, 2010, 08:42 PM
I know nothing about Ohio, but you can go to Walmart and get a new Mossberg pump with a 28' barrel for less than $200.

Izzy77
July 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
ccw a handgun.

If you MUST keep a firearm in a car, make sure it is secured.

kbbailey
July 15, 2010, 09:28 PM
I have had various truck guns for the last 25 yrs. This is my experience.
My choices:-----
#3---single shot 12 ga.: inexpensive; expendable; reliable; versatile. Every game animal in Ill can be legally taken w/ shotgun. Took too long to dig out from behind the seat. Not enough range sometimes.

#4---sks: worked o.k.; had decent range; needed a scope for 100yd+ shots.; almost too much gun in some instances...(varmit inside a barn, etc). Also took too long to put into use from behind seat. Ammo not as easily obtained as 12 ga, or .22.

#1---.22 auto pistol: good for informal plinking at the end of a country road; big enough for most critters (around here); quick to put into action; small enough to carry decretely in the console; cheap, plentiful ammo; more likely to slip into a pocket or waistband when you find yourself in a situation than dragging out a long-gun.

#2---6" .357 mag revolver: Powerful enough for anything; quick to get up and running; easily stowed; NOISY...earplugs required!; I was afraid of it getting stolen; not as likely to pull out and plink with as the .22; I did feel pretty well armed when I had it in the console.

WayneD
July 15, 2010, 09:32 PM
While it definitely violates your $200.00 range it's hard to beat a Mossberg 500 12 G pumpgun. I own multiple SKS, Mosin, Mauser, etc military rifles circa WWII but the versatility, reliability and simplicity not to mention availabilty and variety of ammo makes the pump 12 G the hands down winner in virtually any situation. Consider: On the light, not necessarily lethal end you have rock salt and bird shot. On the high lethality end you have alternating loads of double ought and rifled slugs. The slugs are good out to 100 yards. For large areas at close range you can use the stacked ceramic discs guaranteed to place a cloud of flying razor edged shrapnel between you and your adversaries. There are a number of other "specialty" loads available in 12 G. If a pump gun is too much of a budget buster there are always a number of single and double barrel shotguns available in almost any market. Personally speaking, I like the idea that rounds loosed in the adrenaline drenched situation involved in self defense are unlikely to penetrate walls or travel outside of my line of sight.

CornCod
July 15, 2010, 11:09 PM
Unmodified Saiga in 7.62X39.

Al LaVodka
July 16, 2010, 09:38 PM
I'd trade the bottle for any long gun.
Al

non2os13
July 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
i keep a keltec sub2000 in my truck. they come in 9mm or 40s&w, share mags with glocks berettas or s&w handguns. it folds in half and handgun ammo is pretty cheap and so are extended mags. it's fun as hell to shoot too.

deadeye1122
July 16, 2010, 10:58 PM
Al thought it exceeds the 200.00 limit I would pick a Ruger K77 syn/ss 44 Rem mag with iron sights. Light,short fast to handle and packs a punch.

Ignition Override
July 17, 2010, 12:32 AM
For a bit over $200, a Yugo Mauser, but only if it would not be banged up much. Can you hit anything with Mauser sights? Ammoman sells the corrosive primer ammo for .20/rd.

If it is to be banged up and being extremely common and the cheapest full-power 'battle rifle', a 91/30 with a very bright bore.

For a semi-auto and at a higher price, a Norinco SKS, or Yugo-with the grenade launcher removed.

mjyeagle
July 17, 2010, 04:56 PM
12 gauge

Beskytte
July 17, 2010, 06:15 PM
I got a Maverick 88 awhile ago for $206 shipped. I haven't tried it on a range yet, but they function nice if you oil the action. Not sure if they have them in 20ga, if that's the caliber you're looking for. They also fit Mossberg 500 stocks if you would want to put a pistol grip on it.

Palehorseman
July 17, 2010, 11:40 PM
My truck gun is cheap, picked up this bubbarized MN carbine for $25.00 a couple years ago. I scout scoped and made a lace up cheek piece riser for it.

As another poster said, now has a slip on recoil pad for full power loads, for reduced loads it is super accurate with .316" hard cast GC boolits.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/SSC3_op_800x366.jpg

Purgatory
July 18, 2010, 12:22 AM
Pump shotgun, pump rifle, lever action rifle or sks. All dandy truck guns. I chose the sks and it's not much slower to get into action than any of the rest if the mag's full with the bolt closed over the top-most round.

Just yank the bolt and start pickin off nuisance targets. And if those nuisance targets happen to be in or behind vehicles, the 7.62x39 has outstanding ability to penetrate many material barriers.

And semi auto beats pump or lever ANYthing ANY day.

Practice with your stripper clips and you've got a very effective tool to transition from Zero to Highly Aggressive in a Bolt Yank.

Loggerlee
July 18, 2010, 12:45 AM
I voted Mosin,though when I'm in my truck I can either run over,or run away from any trouble I can Imagine,I've got a CCW for ID though,and I carry a handgun for the occasional critter that don't get across the road fast enough.

About the same power as a 06' and cheap,stripper clips make loading/reloading fast enough,just in case you want to get somewhat "tactical"

I used to pack my Mini 14 most times,but tough times struck :(

Dr.Rob
July 18, 2010, 02:44 AM
Find your self a used but not abused Marlin or Winchester (sears) brand .30-30 lever action. Better close up sights than a Moisin Nagant and effective enough for precision shots at 100 yards. The average Russian rifle throws a pattern out there rather than a tight group. No one really 'blinks' at a deer rifle in most suburban/rural places. Practice with it. A LOT. Before you load it up in your truck 'just in case'.

jeepguy
July 18, 2010, 06:05 AM
so you can have a pc carbine in ohio with loaded mags, as long as the rifle happens to take the same mags/ammo as your carry gun? being from ohio i went with a vz 58, becuse of the stripper clips & folding stock. although the stripper clips it will take some getting used to. big plus is when i take someone shooting with me & they ask for a clip i will finally be able to give them one.

Ratshooter
July 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
Around here the common truck guns have been 30-30s, 22s and shotguns. You don't see guns in rear windows of pickups much anymore. Maybe a few in far west Texas. Now that you can legaly carry a handgun in your vehicle l suspect ther are a lot of pistols and and revolvers tucked away in glove boxes and center consoles. lts funny because hiding a handgun would get you arrested a few years ago. Now it is required that they be put where they are unseen.

I carry a S&W model 65 and a marlin model 60 in my truck. I just bought a ruger ss/synthetic that I think will replace the model 60. I like the idea of being to load and unload it with the magazine. I got it cheap enough that if it gets stolen it won't be a huge loss money wise.

Lawman
July 18, 2010, 05:25 PM
I am quite happy with my Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. 16" barrel. Speaks with authority.

gunnutery
July 18, 2010, 08:45 PM
I don't really have a problem with the Mosin for a "truck gun." It's cheap enough you don't have to worry too much about it being abused (weather wise). Although everyone else has mentioned very low price-high quality guns as well. Lord willing none of us will be in a situation that requires the use of a truck gun. It really comes down to what you're most comfortable AND accurate with.

I guess if I were to have a truck gun I'd probably go with a 30-30, but if I chose the Mosin it'd probably be an M44 for the compactness.

On a side note, I knew nothing of Portmouth, OH before I read your post, looks like a nice place with great scenery.

LRS_Ranger
July 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
Lever gun, 30-30. My truck rifle is a Marlin in 45-70.

RonBernert
July 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
Ratshooter: "Around here the common truck guns have been 30-30s, 22s and shotguns. You don't see guns in rear windows of pickups much anymore. Maybe a few in far west Texas. Now that you can legaly carry a handgun in your vehicle l suspect ther are a lot of pistols and and revolvers tucked away in glove boxes and center consoles. lts funny because hiding a handgun would get you arrested a few years ago. Now it is required that they be put where they are unseen"

I was just thinking about this very thing the other day.. I remember when I was younger and spent a good part of the summer in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
My Grandfather would take me to Lewis' Department Store, and when we'd get there he'd open his trunk of the Ford, get out an old Ithaca 12GA side by side and sling it over my shoulder. There was nothing like walking around in a department store with a shotgun broken open and for all to see.. I felt 10 feet tall and almost like it was the old west... Out in the parking lot there would be Pickups with the windows down and a lever action in the back window on a 3 or 4 gun rack.. Noone would bother touching or stealing them....
Now, even in Sioux Falls, if there's a gun in the back window the cops meet you at your car!
I'm still not sure if the changing times are better or worse.....

arkansashillbilly
July 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
I like how Palehorseman thinks. I have two that I consider truck guns that I've thrown in the cab on occasion on our old farm. One is a sporterized SMLE that I gave 30 for. Put a cheap scope on and it was good to go. The other is a sporterized k11 Schmidt Rubin in 308 winchester. It was one of those "Pioneer" or whatever professional sporter jobs from the 60's. I traded an old desktop computer for it. I've got way more in the scope setup on it than in the rest of the rifle and so far all I've bought for the setup is the mount. It was already tapped and drilled. I killed a deer a few years ago with it. I'd look for a bubba'd cheap anything. Afterall you know it's gonna get knocked around and you don't want to have to worry about keeping it uber clean or getting any scratches or knicks. IMO that's the only thing a bubba'd mil-surp is good for.

Strahley
July 26, 2010, 03:16 PM
A used Remington 870 can easily be found for $200

oldbanjo
August 3, 2010, 07:59 PM
I personally carry a mossberg 500 w/PG, mag loaded, I'm in a van so I use a bicycle lock to lock it to a seat if I get out the van, also when I take it out of the van it's in a bag that folding chairs go in. I leave the bag hanging on the strap almost always. If I walk out the house door with the strap on my shoulder it looks like I'm carrying a chair. In the area where I am the shotgun would be more inteminating than a rifle.

car15bill
August 3, 2010, 11:45 PM
go around to pawn and gun shops and look around for a crappy(ugly, not dangerous) old jc higgins or mossberg bolt action shotgun. I am partial to the JC higgins, as it has a tube mag that you can't lose. Try and get one with a polychoke, so you can shoot a wide variety of loads, and adjust it as you need without having to carry extra choke tubes.

I got lucky at a garage sale, for 30 bucks, i got a JC Higgins 20 gauge in decent shape with a stock that was split at the forend. a bead of gorrilla glue and a small c clamp around the front of the forend fixed that.

It has a decent recoil pad on it, a flip up rear rifle sight, a hi viz neon front bead, a poly-choke, and a 4 round magazine.

Best of all, if you shop around, i bet you can find one for under 60 bucks. Throw in a box of assorted shells, and you are set for whatever, birds, deer, bear, squirrels, people.

The problem with keeping a nice gun in your truck, is either A) its going to get beat up and rusty, or B) someone might like it more than you and steal it. But, if you buy an un-tacticool old cheap guy gun, no one will ever take it, and the only thing you will have to do is wipe it down with the motor oil off your dipstick....

mljdeckard
August 3, 2010, 11:49 PM
SKSs aren't as cheap as they used to be, but they are still a very capable rifle for a very good price.

azyogi
August 4, 2010, 12:22 AM
Model 99 Ariska 7.7 X 57 JAP with a ground mum and sporterized stock have little collecter value and ammo can be fireformed from 30.06. I paid 40 for my last one but this century they seem to go for more like 140. Strippers can be hard to find but 03 springfields will work.

Onward Allusion
August 4, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lots of used pump shotguns can be had for under $200. If you're willing to go the Maverick 88 or NEF Pardner Protector route, you can get new for under $200 OTD - shipping, tax, & transfer included.

Realbigo
September 10, 2010, 03:12 AM
right now mine is a H&R single barrel, but I'm hopping to get a m92 knock off again, in .357. Or better yet a IMI Timberwolf in .357. I like the MN's and SKS's, but too much weight for my tastes

wideym
September 10, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'd look for a cheap bubba'd or beater SKS without the detachable mags. My cousin used to keep on behind the seat of his truck but the mag always seemed to get hung up on something when he tried to get it out.

Otherwise I'd go with a carbine lenth Mosin that was either bubba'd or sporterized. No need to scratch and ding a perfectly good rifle.

FROGO207
September 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
I voted for a NEF Handi Rifle in 308, Iron sites. Works for me. Lite, Quick to point and not too slow if you practice reloading any at all.

stuckinsocal
September 12, 2010, 01:08 AM
I voted "other". An SKS would be a great option. It's cheap, accurate (enough), has plenty of power, easy to mod, and very reliable. I've carried and SKS as my truck gun on many occasions. It won't be the fastest to get into action, but a truck gun really isn't used for immediate threats unless you're able to carry some type of SBR at the ready. The old Chinese chest rigs are available; you can carry up to 200 rounds on stripper clips in it.

Averageman
September 12, 2010, 09:38 AM
I did a little work and tried to find and rework some long guns to come up with the perfect truck gun.
I was lucky enough to find both a Marlin 336SC and a Remington 870 for $150 a piece. If you have the knowledge, time and a little money you can find bargain and build fine truck guns for next to nothing.
I have learned a lot about both systems as I worked on them and feel I gained a great advantage in the ability to repair my own guns.
My theory was choose a good platform, shop hard for the best value, then get to work.

Z-Michigan
September 12, 2010, 10:41 AM
SKS or a factory stock Saiga.

jpwilly
September 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
Dear OP,

Some great choices have been presented.

I've asked a couple of questions knowing enough about the laws and terrain...that haven't been answered.

You make a choice yet?

You have any input?

You still checking your thread?

publiuss
September 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
I have 3 guns that stay in my truck. A marlin model 60, Rem. 870, and a Mosin 44 with a scope. I think it makes a good truck gun.

hirundo82
September 12, 2010, 05:30 PM
My thoughts for an inexpensive trunk gun:
1) used .30-30 lever gun
2) SKS
3) Maverick 88 or inexpensive used 12 gauge

One of my criteria is that a trunk gun be able to do things my carry gun can't--one of the primary ones is being able to penetrate soft body armor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Alan_Wilson). That's why the shotgun is third on the list. The .30-30 is preferred over the SKS because of perception concerns. For better or worse, a gun that looks like Grandpa's deer rifle would look better than an "assault rifle" (as the prosecutor would spin it) should the case end up before a jury.

Caveat: I'm in Texas, where carry of long guns in any condition is pretty much completely unregulated. Legal concerns may dictate different requirements in other states.

millertyme
September 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
I say the MN. $100 for the rifle, ammo on the cheap, shoots minute of scumbag, killed lots of Nazis with them.

I'm a little surprised we went from a $100 Mosin to a $300+ SKS. For a little over $300 I cold get a Mosin and over 1,000 rounds of ammo plus a decent buttpad. Yeah, we'd all prefer semi-auto in 7.62x39, but that's a different ballgame than what was originally asked.

Motodeficient
September 14, 2010, 02:16 PM
You can get some decent new 12 gauge pumps under $200. I liked my 8 shot 20" maverick 88 12 gauge. Could get a Hi-point carbine as well. Still shooting a handgun round but it would be a little more accurate at longer ranges and have a little more oomph with the longer barrel. The bonus being that you could use the same ammo for the carbine and your sidearm.

straitnate14
September 14, 2010, 02:46 PM
Get an Ithaca 37 in 12 and you will never look back!

NWCP
September 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
Find a Mossberg 500 12GA. Inexpensive and reliable. Pricing would be close to your $ target.

.45Guy
September 14, 2010, 02:56 PM
What are you going to use it for? Can't shoot deer in OH with a Rifle and only 3 days can you use a Shotgun. Are you planning to take out varmints? You going to shoot driftwood floating down the Ohio River??
My guess would be the same reason I always have a .22 on the tractor... You never know when the Varmint Cong will try to overrun the farm.

Viking24
September 15, 2010, 04:12 PM
Gun snobs need not read any further-> Kel-Tec Sub2000 in same ammo/mag config as your ccw. As a semi-reformed (i still hate on Hi-points) gun snob I had a chance to shoot a Sub2k (after I finished making snide remarks about it) and what a blast!

Ok, its not an HK94 or P90 but for $300 I have what I think is the perfect truck gun. It's affordable ~$300 new. It's plastic so you can bang it around w/o much concern for its looks. It folds in half to an impossibly small size that tucks away in places a normal long gun cannot (keltec makes a very cool little softcase for it).

Most important of all I can stay legal by keeping it unloaded yet I can drop the mag from my Glock 22 and transition to a carbine in 5-10 seconds. I haven't chronoed it but I'm guessing 180gr loads are about 1100fps I can hit an 8" plate at 100yds all day long with it off hand which is good enough for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun on the cheap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!