What is this? $189,999.99 gun

PDA

The_Pretender
July 15, 2010, 01:02 AM
Any idea why this commands such a price?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179054591

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this? $189,999.99 gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kernel
July 15, 2010, 01:18 AM
Sure, $190k is a little steep, but at least he's fair on the shipping. Actual cost. Canít accuse the seller of floating a low number on the rifle, then trying to make his margin on shipping and "handling".

:neener:

DeepSouth
July 15, 2010, 01:19 AM
Probably 75,000+ in engraving alone, thousands more in gold, a case that would cost several thousand, optics would be several thousand, have no idea about the wood but I'm guessing it's valued in the 10thousands range the fact that it has Blaser on it makes it go up many thousand. Much more goes into a gun like that than we would think. No telling how many man hours are invested in that gun, and people that do work like that get paid very well.

People that buy guns like that are, well, not like me. It is a beautiful gun for sure, if I could handle it I'm sure I would walk away saying it was the most beautiful gun I've ever seen. It is probably worth that much to somebody, just not me.

It has been on GB for quiet a while now, at least a year. Someone making more money than me will buy it one day.

Maverick223
July 15, 2010, 01:21 AM
Any idea why this commands such a price?Mainly because some folks that are very wealthy will pay top dollar for a rifle that is both functional and a work of art. The engraving and inlays are also well executed by a prominent engraver, thus increasing the value. Personally I would opt for something from this guy (http://www.hoferwaffen.com/) if I were ridiculously wealthy...but I would undoubtedly get tired of seeing it hang on the wall and sell it for something more useful (like a water cooled .30cal. FA MG :D) after a few years.

:)

HorseSoldier
July 15, 2010, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I assume he's catering to the same market that prefer their shotguns to be side by sides from storied British manufacturers and such.

Like Maverick223, if I had almost 200K to blow on a firearm, it would probably be for something equally esoteric but blacker and eviller like, say, convincing the British government to part with one of their surviving EM-2 prototypes, an FG-42, or one of each from the Stoner 63 family or something.

postalnut25
July 15, 2010, 01:42 AM
So 190 Grand is a touch out of reach for me. But that is a beautiful rifle. That wood is amazing.

Al Mack 1
July 15, 2010, 02:20 AM
A while back a friend of mine told me about an auction on Gun broker for a Luger made for the military trials held to choose a new side arm for the US Army. Being held in the early 1900s. The 1911 won, But back to the Luger its the only one left in existence. How about a million, now thats steep. And it sold!

rondog
July 15, 2010, 02:23 AM
Yessir, sho' is a purty one! Tad rich for my blood though. Probably not for some CEO that likes African safaris. We have a safari-type gun shop in Denver that has some mighty 'spensive guns, but I believe that one tops anything they have.

rondog
July 15, 2010, 02:32 AM
Are you ready for this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A while back a friend of mine told me about an auction on Gun broker for a Luger made for the military trials held to choose a new side arm for the US Army. Being held in the early 1900s. The 1911 won, But back to the Luger its the only one left in existence. How about a million, now thats steep. And it sold!

That sounds like the Legendary .45acp Luger, a prototype. I "think" there were two, but only one survives now.

saturno_v
July 15, 2010, 02:35 AM
Stunningly beautiful and useless at the same time..

Useless for ordinary people.....because if for someone that price tag represent a very important purchase, that someone will never use it in the field for fear of damage/scratching.....it will end up in a safe or on a glass cabinet for display...

It can be useful for people that are not bothered the least by the money necessary for the purchase.....folks that would spend that kind of dough with the same ease of us, common mortals, buy a $400 rifle....

Maverick223
July 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
That sounds like the Legendary .45acp Luger, a prototype. I "think" there were two, but only one survives now.I agree, that sounds like the one, but there were more made...IIRC 4 pistols and one carbine (also a DWM Luger prototype). Only two of the pistols were submitted for testing, one was in poor condition (from the trials) and is believed to have been destroyed afterwards, the additional one (SN 2) is the only one of the pistols known to exist today. The other three were lost, however the carbine was eventually discovered, so the two remaining pistols may reside in a private collection.

blackops
July 15, 2010, 02:48 AM
Let me see....that pile or a house? Hmmm tough decision....not.

mljdeckard
July 15, 2010, 03:14 AM
For a while, Impact had listed (probably on consignment) what they said was the only transferrable M240B and M-134 minigun. The prices were $172,000 and $400,000 respectively. I have no idea whether or not they actually sold them.

C-grunt
July 15, 2010, 03:16 AM
The wood on that rifle is amazing. Im not huge on engraving, but I would love to own a nice rifle with a stock like that.

C-grunt
July 15, 2010, 03:18 AM
For a while, Impact had listed (probably on consignment) what they said was the only transferrable M240B and M-134 minigun. The prices were $172,000 and $400,000 respectively. I have no idea whether or not they actually sold them.
I saw a transferable M240B at a gun show here a couple years ago. Price was around 200k. But the guy said there was like 10 or so of them.

Also seen the minigun too.

paintballdude902
July 15, 2010, 03:24 AM
its not just a rifle its art. its like a holland and holland double rifle. you dont buy it because its the only thing that will do the job you buy it because you can. if i had that kind of cash hanging around i would buy a matching set of holland and hollands. but i cant so i can only dream

I agree, that sounds like the one, but there were more made...IIRC 4 pistols and one carbine (also a DWM Luger prototype). Only two of the pistols were submitted for testing, one was in poor condition (from the trials) and is believed to have been destroyed afterwards, the additional one (SN 2) is the only one of the pistols known to exist today. The other three were lost, however the carbine was eventually discovered, so the two remaining pistols may reside in a private collection.

it recently resold (march maybe) iirc there were 3 made. 2 for testing and one back up. plus maybe a carbine. number 1 was almost destroyed during the testing, it was covered in some sort of acid during the test which practically destroyed number 1 then number 2 kept misfiring so number 3 was substituted. number 2 now resides in a museum(mississippi maybe) and number 3 is the "million dollar luger" i will try and find the article.

edit here it is my details were half right and half wrong. but its been 4 months or so since i read it
http://www.lugerforum.com/45Luger.html

Quickstrike
July 15, 2010, 03:31 AM
Lol, I wouldn't pay $200 for it.

Nothing but a gussied up push feed in a high pressure chambering.

Give me a kevlar stocked CZ550 in 416 rigby and slicked up by AHR + a few upgrades for under 2-3K. :cool:

MachIVshooter
July 15, 2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:Are you ready for this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds like the Legendary .45acp Luger, a prototype. I "think" there were two, but only one survives now.

Yup, though it's most recent sale was much lower, at a half million.

Three were made. One was destroyed in testing, and another is in a museum.

Bobarino
July 15, 2010, 04:35 AM
while i appreciate the talent it takes to make such a rifle, i think this guy is sitting on a $25-$40k rifle at best. especially in this economy. it has no significant historical value but it darn pretty. i have a feeling that if he quartered his asking price, it might sell.

Bobby

rondog
July 15, 2010, 07:16 AM
It'll sell. All it takes is for the right millionaire/billionaire to find it and develop a love for "the ultimate rifle that nobody else has". Look at the money those guys spend at classic car auctions.

22-rimfire
July 15, 2010, 07:43 AM
Looks like a great present for the spouse who has everything (including a large net worth and great cash flow).

Z-Michigan
July 15, 2010, 09:13 AM
Well, at least it isn't someone's asking price for an RFB or Shrubmaster ACR.

Personally if I had that much gun money I would have that M240B, or maybe quad .50's on an AA mount...

loadedround
July 15, 2010, 10:19 AM
Damm! If I could just come up with that last ninety nine cents that rifle would be mine. Come on Mods help me out...you guys have got it! :D

LeonCarr
July 15, 2010, 10:24 AM
Lemme see, if I sell my house...

I know why it is so expensive, because of that fancy suitcase it comes in :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Rembrandt
July 15, 2010, 10:43 AM
What the hell is this? $189,999.99 gun.....Any idea why this commands such a price?

If you don't know the answer to that......no better than a hungry dog that can't tell the difference between a fillet Mignon and road kill.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 15, 2010, 10:43 AM
That kind of firearm isn't appealing to me in the least. It would be worthless in my possession except as something to sell. I can think of A LOT of functional firearms that I would actually use that I could buy with 200k. Give me a nice black synthetic Remington 700 over that piece of "art" any day. It's not even just the "I'd rather have a gun I can use" factor, although that's part of it. I just don't like guns that look like that. Too antique looking. My tastes are almost exclusively confined to the ultra-modern/ultra-practical.

Zack
July 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
Here's an idea. Do not buy that gun, save the 190k and buy large stock piles of anything else! or a house! lol

CajunBass
July 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
People who buy guns like that don't prowl Gunbroker looking for them.

They hire people to prowl Gunbroker looking for them. :D

Storm
July 15, 2010, 10:58 AM
Mere petty cash for a man with the means of me,
I'll have to see if he has three.

stsimons
July 15, 2010, 11:03 AM
The current price of gold is $1209.61 per ounce...

So if that gun weighs 9 lbs that equals 144 ounces...

144 X $1209.61 = $174,183.84

So this guy is asking more than the guns weight in gold... by about 16K

Sorry but unless the gun is historically significant and VERY much so there is no way it is worth even 1/3 of the asking price. Someone is dreaming.

aka108
July 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
Guess if I was loaded and had 200K that I didn't give a hoot about and just had to spend it, I'd rather have the rifle than some old oil painting to hang up in the hall.

627PCFan
July 15, 2010, 01:47 PM
No full auto/No match barrel....Im out

oneounceload
July 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
Some folks here just don't get the engraving part I guess. When you take a foremost engraver, and he signs his work of art (which is VERY well done, BTW), that adds significantly to the price of the gun. That wood is every bit of $10,000, and possibly that much for the blank before shaping and finishing.

You can see other guns as art in the work of Peter Hofer and Philip Ollendorf

http://hoferwaffen.com/images/products/selected/gallery/hw_cont.m52p14g14.jpg

This is called the "Hummingbird", the world's lightest double rifle at 2.2 pounds chambered in 22 hornet or 17 HMR

These guns, many of which are one of a kind, only go up in value, are extremely unique in many aspects, and are head and shoulders above the typical EBR when it comes to quality and craftsmanship

oneounceload
July 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
The current price of gold is $1209.61 per ounce...

So if that gun weighs 9 lbs that equals 144 ounces...

144 X $1209.61 = $174,183.84

So this guy is asking more than the guns weight in gold... by about 16K

Sorry but unless the gun is historically significant and VERY much so there is no way it is worth even 1/3 of the asking price. Someone is dreaming.

And your comparison is specious at best - Gold price is for a gold bar, NOT a refined and created piece of jewelry. If all you are considering is the cost of raw material, then all guns would be about $40

Friendly, Don't Fire!
July 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Makes one wonder the kind of guns Sadaam Hussein had, and the Iranian president (Ahemajiz, or however you spell it).

nitetrane98
July 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
The LOP looks a tad long for me. A nice truck gun. I wonder how it groups?

Tallinar
July 15, 2010, 02:45 PM
A gun that's worth more than my house. :(

unit91
July 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
Oh, it's Blaser. I often buy their brass at Wal Mart. :)

Cosmoline
July 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
THE SAFARI CLUB SHOW

There's your answer. The real big game here isn't cape buff, it's whale. The uber rich guys at black tie dinners.

So I ain't getting no invite! LOL

Maverick223
July 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, it's Blaser. I often buy their brass at Wal Mart.Umm, you wouldn't be confusing Blazer (from CCI) with Blaser (from Austria) would you?

husker
July 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
Whippdeey Do
I threw down a bid of $10.00
HEY YA JUST NEVER KNOW :-)

JonB
July 15, 2010, 04:08 PM
I was going to click the 'Buy it now', but remembered I shoot left handed. Bummer.

Jim Watson
July 15, 2010, 04:21 PM
Lipstick on a pig. The Blaser is not an attractive rifle to my eye and dressing it up with engraving and fancy walnut does not make it pretty to me.

oneounceload
July 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
There's your answer. The real big game here isn't cape buff, it's whale. The uber rich guys at black tie dinners.

So I ain't getting no invite! LOL

Join SCI and you'll be able to attend - the convention in Reno is quite a nice one - many classes, exhibits, etc. Also takes places at the same time as the engraver's convention, where you can see some one of a kind guns, knives, etc.......might want to try it sometime..........

speaksoftly
July 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'd be all over it but think that shipping should be free on an item like this. I think I'll refrain on pure moral principle. That'll show him!

GunsBeerFreedom
July 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
The rifle is worth more than most of my city (Detroit).

Cosmoline
July 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
Buying Detroit and turning it into a combination gun resort and urban warfare training facility has some real merit ;-)

the convention in Reno is quite a nice one

I have no doubt at all and I'm sure it's a lot of fun. And it's a fine venue for whale hunting. Though these days the breed may be nearly extinct. Or at least a little more wary. Anyway I'll be shocked if this rifle goes at that price.

oneounceload
July 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
People that like to hunt Africa book their hunts there. Most of the PH's are also there, along with many fine gun makers. But then, I don't picture too many here going to the Guggenheim either.... ;)

Hatterasguy
July 15, 2010, 07:57 PM
For people with money, if you go to Orvis HQ or an H&H showroom thats a lot but not crazy.

I know guys who hunt with shotguns that are probably worth about half that.

I'd like to buy an H&H side by side one day when I have the money. What I reall want is the Holland and Holland Range Rover by Overfinch, it comes with the best feature on any car ever made, an automaticly refilling liquor cabinet.:D

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2010-Overfinch-Range-Rover-Holland-Holland-Rear-Angle-View-588x447.jpg

http://blog.fultonleasing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/range-rover-overfinch4.jpg

Anytime you run low they will come out and refill it for free.:evil::cool:

kcmarine
July 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
You have to wonder just how functional it is though. I mean, put a knick in the stock and you'll want to slit your wrists. You'd basically have to make a cabinet for the thing... you can't just have a rifle that nice hidden away in a safe where no one can see it.

Maybe it's just me... and I don't mean to knock how others spend their cash... but I'd rather have a nice AK or AR and make up the rest of the difference in nice ammo... and $188,000 can buy a LOT of ammo. You don't care if the gun gets scratched (it's a travesty if your AK isn't scratched somewhere) and you have ammo for a very, very long time.

groundhog34
July 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
I would buy it if it was left handed

Maverick223
July 15, 2010, 09:27 PM
I would buy it if it was left handedI bet they will create one just for you if you ask. :evil:

oneounceload
July 15, 2010, 09:37 PM
Topping that is Fabbri's titanium shotgun - some costing $220,000/ each. If I had that money, I'd buy one for hunting, and if the stock got a ding, I would send it back to be refinished if necessary

FMJMIKE
July 15, 2010, 10:23 PM
I just made a bid...........:D.......Now to sell my Ruger 10/22 to pay for it !!!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this? $189,999.99 gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!