Estate Sales

PDA

Justin
January 22, 2003, 12:18 PM
Are estate sales a good way to find good deals on firearms? What are the legalities involved?

If you enjoyed reading about "Estate Sales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
January 22, 2003, 02:56 PM
Many auction companies tend to have someone with an FFL on staff. I've also known a few antique dealers who had 'em. I don't know if many of 'em have kept 'em or not.

jjmorgan64
January 22, 2003, 05:04 PM
I have gotten some good deals at estate sales, you normally have to get there fairly early, however.
Auctions around here are a bit rough on firearm prices.

Legalities are going to vary greatly by state, hopefully someone in Colorodo will answer.

Sisco
January 22, 2003, 05:13 PM
I've been to a few estate sales that had guns listed, never got a deal on one though. "Bidding Fever" seems to take over and anything in good condition goes for retail or more. Even seen some junk sell for way more than I'd give.
A couple of the local auctioneers also own pawnshops so they are FFL holders and forms have to be filled out, background checks performed etc. It's my understanding that in KS if the auctioneer is not a FFL, it's considered a private sale. Don't quote me on that though.
Some of the best deals I've seen are at garage sales after a divorce.

Larry Ashcraft
January 22, 2003, 05:38 PM
Yep, I bought a small collection (8 guns) at an estate sale in YOUR CITY, Colorado Springs, last spring. :D

A woman my wife worked with at Fort Carson was liquidating her late uncle's estate and was leery of selling guns to someone she didn't know, so we helped her out and bought them all.

In Colorado, a sale at an estate sale is considered a private sale, so no paperwork or 4472 is required.

The best way to find guns at estate sales is to become familiar with someone specializing in estate liquidation and let them know what you are interested in. My dad, being an antiques dealer, has found many deals on firearms. Kind of like a Pre-Garage Sale Sale.

Gordon
January 22, 2003, 07:38 PM
Well I could go on and on and on about estate sales. If there's an auction involved FORGET IT. If you can get in early to pick over, have cash in your pocket, you can get bargins of a life time. Just last month I got a Mod 70 made in 62 in 264 win mag with Unertl scope in 90% for $600, and I also got a .358 Norma with 200 rounds of Norma ammo and dies for $400. I went with $1000 because this old boy really had a lot (50) of nice custom and vintage guns. I could have spent $3000 more and got really nice ones but a man has to know his limits. They wanted $775 for the Win. and $500 for the .358 Norma but I waved $1000 for both and Voila! Thats the way estate sales work. When you find an old gunsmiths estate sale you hit the big one, although to me it is sad to find a persons life work being peddled.:(

Kahr carrier
January 23, 2003, 06:51 AM
The ones Ive been to people usually get bid fever an drive the prices up sometimes over retail.:banghead:

Dan Morris
January 23, 2003, 07:46 AM
I've bought some good pre 64's in private estate sales. No BG is required in Colorado on most of them.
Dan

ajacobs
January 23, 2003, 09:07 AM
Atf Rulings for auctions is as follows:

Estate sale(sale consisting of only one persons items) - Auctioneer acting as agent for the seller no ffl needed

Consignment sale (many peoples stuff)- auctioneer acting as a dealer ffl and background check etc required.

That being said many auctioneers sell them without ffls regardless.

If you enjoyed reading about "Estate Sales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!